ADVERTISEMENT

Assassination Attempt on Trump

Did you really, really, really expect people out there in the media and the public, Democrat or Republican to tone it down even a little? I know I sure didn't. I don't need the self-created disappointment in my life.
I had hoped for a new tone. Glad to see we have board members who support the inference that Trump will kill 6M Jews if elected less than 72 hours after some nut job murdered a father in front of his family at his rally.

I had hoped for a new tone. Glad to see we have board members who support the inference that Trump will kill 6M Jews if elected less than 72 hours after some nut job murdered a father in front of his family at his rally.
I expected a tone down about as much as I expected we will get 3 bipartisan bills passed by congress in the next several months. People don't change their stripes overnight.

I expected a tone down about as much as I expected we will get 3 bipartisan bills passed by congress in the next several months. People don't change their stripes overnight.
No they don’t and I’m old enough to know better I suppose. I still hold on to the good in people. The humanity. I under estimate that hate ordinary people carry with them and the control the same has over them.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
No they don’t and I’m old enough to know better I suppose. I still hold on to the good in people. The humanity. I under estimate that hate ordinary people carry with them and the control the same has over them.
24 hour news networks, social media, and Trump and followers just accentuate the positive that has always been there. :rolleyes:

Civility to the wayside.

I have vehement policy disagreements with Vance and probably with most others these days left and right. I am still a believer in a very active engagement around the world, supporting our allies financially against our enemies, and maintaining a strong military presence around the world. This includes continuing and even possibly escalating our support for Ukraine until they can get on the best footing for negotiations. I strongly feel we should not have left Afghanistan at all. We should have kept our hard fought presence there to protect the homeland. And I am very skeptical of tariffs. Also, very pro-immigration of the legal kind - I would greatly increae legal immigration while also controlling our border. We need labor to support out economic growth.

This is all against pretty much everything Vance stands for, even more so than Trump. He is terrible IMO for where we need to be putting our priorities.

I have vehement policy disagreements with Vance and probably with most others these days left and right. I am still a believer in a very active engagement around the world, supporting our allies financially against our enemies, and maintaining a strong military presence around the world. This includes continuing and even possibly escalating our support for Ukraine until they can get on the best footing for negotiations. I strongly feel we should not have left Afghanistan at all. We should have kept our hard fought presence there to protect the homeland. And I am very skeptical of tariffs. Also, very pro-immigration of the legal kind - I would greatly increae legal immigration while also controlling our border. We need labor to support out economic growth.

This is all against pretty much everything Vance stands for, even more so than Trump. He is terrible IMO for where we need to be putting our priorities.

This is pretty much exactly where I’m at politically. We’re not a large constituency.

This is pretty much exactly where I’m at politically. We’re not a large constituency.
Right. Sometimes I feel it is a waste of time to even engage. The battle today seems to be between two flavors of fear and finger pointing.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
NO ONE HAS SAID THAT NOR HAVE THEY ALLUDED TO THAT FACT.

Heck, Trump's son in law is Jewish and a huge supporter of Israel.

Also, I'm very sad that anyone got killed. No one should be harmed due to politics. No one should be murdered for any reason. I do tremendously feel sorrow for his poor daughters who were not only dragged to see the felonious liar, but also that they suffered partly because of the rhetoric that the person their father supported continues to perpetuate.

I don't particularly appreciate casting that father as a hero though.... he was a typical MAGA guy who had no problem with ignoring violence at other people's doorsteps and wishing ill upon his fellow Americans.

Responding to a Tweet asking "Where are all of these Palestinians going to live when this war is over? So many (over a million) of their homes have been destroyed".... his response was "They will get over it. The Japanese did."

"Mr Comperatore also implied in response to one tweet that he would choose to save the lives of Vladimir Putin over Democrats like Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden."

What in the past 8 years has made us think he was LESS like Hitler than we suspected in 2016? That statement is insane.
To be fair Kamala called Biden a sex criminal and segregationist 4 short years ago. Biden then turns around and taps her as his VP a few months later. Politicians have no soul :)

Just FYI, Lincoln Project isn't Dems, it's run by a bunch of never Trump Republicans if I recall correctly.
Yeah it was headed by George Conway iirc. I didn't even pay much attention to who was pitting that out. Those that want Trump out, whether Republican or Democrat aren't going to tone down the rhetoric because Trump got shot at. Trump won't tone it down unless he thinks it advantages his campaign.

Last edited:
Yeah it was headed by George Conway iirc. I didn't even pay much attention to who was pitting that out. Those that want Trump out, whether Republican or Democrat aren't going to tone down the rhetoric because Trump got shot at. Trump won't tone it down unless he thinks it advantages his campaign.
Obviously not as shown by picking Vance.

I had a moment of hope quickly dashed.

Some interesting info. Shooter reported as suspicious over an hour before shots. Shooter was using encrypted communications. Snipers spotted him 20 minutes prior to him firing the shots. SS knew of the possible threat 10 minutes prior to Trump being allowed on the stage.

I assume it was negligence but it’s hard to imagine being that incompetent

I assume it was negligence but it’s hard to imagine being that incompetent
Is it? We’re talking about a country that elected and is about to re-elect Donald Trump…. I don’t find it hard at all to imagine that level of incompetence.

Rather than incompetence, I would more specifically define it as Hubris and Complacency.

It might have been poor coordination with local law officers. I heard early on, that local law officers went on the roof and tried to engage him. He pointed the gun at the officers, and they came off the roof, to avoid being shot. That may have happened so close to him firing that there was not a shoot order offered quick enough because the officers were in the way/engaging him.

The SS is one of the most prominent security organizations in the world. Missing one or two security items might be complacency. Running the table is shear incompetence or worse yet intentional. Hard to imagine the SS doing missing tnese times. They are basic security. Does it fall back on having an unqualified director ? Does she fall on the sword here ?

Having a known threat ten minutes prior to Trump taking the stage and doing nothing is simply hard to comprehend.

Is it? We’re talking about a country that elected and is about to re-elect Donald Trump…. I don’t find it hard at all to imagine that level of incompetence.

Rather than incompetence, I would more specifically define it as Hubris and Complacency.
The competency of the SS has nothing to do with any of that, or hubris and complacency. Go back to complaining about the basketball coach.

Reactions: drboobay
The SS is one of the most prominent security organizations in the world. Missing one or two security items might be complacency. Running the table is shear incompetence or worse yet intentional. Hard to imagine the SS doing missing tnese times. They are basic security. Does it fall back on having an unqualified director ? Does she fall on the sword here ?

Having a known threat ten minutes prior to Trump taking the stage and doing nothing is simply hard to comprehend.
I doubt the Director was at all involved in the situation directly, other than keeping her informed. The director doesn't usually get involved in an operation, during the operation. I give the conspiracy theory of intentional about 4 decimal places to the truth.(a 10 thousandth of a chance)

I doubt the Director was at all involved in the situation directly, other than keeping her informed. The director doesn't usually get involved in an operation, during the operation. I give the conspiracy theory of intentional about 4 decimal places to the truth.(a 10 thousandth of a chance)
Agree. Still hard to believe one of the world’s highest regarded security organizations missed all of these things. There were obviously multiple failures. Assume we have multiple investigations on the way

Shooter using encrypted communications is interesting.

Agree. Still hard to believe one of the world’s highest regarded security organizations missed all of these things. There were obviously multiple failures. Assume we have multiple investigations on the way

Shooter using encrypted communications is interesting.
imessage & whatsapp are among many consumer available apps that people don't necessarily get just because of the encryption. So it's not interesting until we hear more details about it.

Reactions: drboobay
What is harder to imagine?

1. A conspiracy between the US Secret Service, a 20 year old loner, and potentially others to harm Trump.

2. Complacency, incompetence, and/or poor coordination leading to a breakdown.

I pick 1.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Trump hasn't returned a call to Cheatle yet. Par for the course with him. If he sees any angle that does his campaign benefit, he won't return the call, and will persecute her online and at rally's.

Ok class. This excerpt is an example of the ideal of “America Exceptionalism” that was pervasive in the United States during the early 21st century. There were certain groups of people who believed that their status as a world military and economic power excluded them from errors common to human nature such as the development of complacency after having prevented many negative consequence outcomes amid a vast sea of threats. This situation is similar to threats they were dealing with at the time related to phishing attacks on critical infrastructure and the nuclear arms race which we introduced in yesterday’s class…

Ok class. This excerpt is an example of the ideal of “America Exceptionalism” that was pervasive in the United States during the early 21st century. There were certain groups of people who believed that their status as a world military and economic power excluded them from errors common to human nature such as the development of complacency after having prevented many negative consequence outcomes amid a vast sea of threats. This situation is similar to threats they were dealing with at the time related to phishing attacks on critical infrastructure and the nuclear arms race which we introduced in yesterday’s class…
With the assets, technology and intelligence we have available, if the agency who is charged with protecting our President isn’t one the best security organization in the world then we need to overhaul the same.

Consider this your first lesson.

With the assets, technology and intelligence we have available, if the agency who is charged with protecting our President isn’t one the best security organization in the world then we need to overhaul the same.

Consider this your first lesson.
They have to deal with a different situation than most other world powers who haven’t armed their general citizenry to the teeth.

How many other leaders of world powers can you name having had successful assassination attempts? There have been several in India. Abe in Japan…. That’s most of the list.

Last edited:
They have to deal with a different situation than most other world powers who haven’t armed their general citizenry to the teeth.

There are reasons why Putin has never been attacked.
The breakdowns we’ve just witnessed has zero to do with that statement.

The breakdowns we’ve just witnessed has zero to do with that statement.
Not true. I would be willing to bet that this is not the first time an unidentified threat has been encountered by the SS. They have probably seen tens to hundreds of perceived threat encounters for Trump alone.

Not true. I would be willing to bet that this is not the first time an unidentified threat has been encountered by the SS. They have probably seen tens to hundreds of perceived threat encounters for Trump alone.
Just stop

1). They left an elevated position 150 yards from the stage which had direct line of site unmonitored.

2). They had reports and a picture of a suspicious man with a range finder roaming the grounds around said elevated position over 2 hours prior to the speech. They failed to place the guy or area under any type of surveillance.

3). The received a report of a threat ten minutes prior to Trump taking the stage and apparently did nothing to verify there was no danger.

4. Snipers had the shooter in their sites 20 minutes prior to him firing the shots yet inexplicably he climbed up on the roof of the building and fired off multiple shots. No SS personnel were sent to closely monitor the shooter.

The fact we have a lot of guns in this country has zero to do with any of these missteps. If anything it makes them worse. We had a 20 year old kid with zero training and apparently zero assistance outsmart the entire SS. It’s remarkable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT