ADVERTISEMENT

Assassination Attempt on Trump

Doesn’t look like the Dems are going to chill with the inflammatory rhetoric.

Doesn’t look like the Dems are going to chill with the inflammatory rhetoric.

Firstly, I would like to reiterate what Trump’s words were when he was pumping his fist “Fight. Fight. Fight.”

He is a liar.

I think for many politicians the Hitler reference would be beyond the pale, but considering what happened on January 6th (and the time following) I don’t think it is for Trump, with a few important caveats….

I think Trump shares quite a few of Hitler’s tendencies in terms of political vision and strategy. The most significant and important difference would be that I don’t think anyone would argue that Trump is genocidal (although he may disparage immigrants much like Hitler disparaged Gypsies, and he advocates rounding them up, he has not publicly advocated any exterminations, but rather deportations)

That’s why I have a problem with this whole situation, there are large proportions of our country (not on the left by the way) that if extermination was suggested, I think would go along with it (or at least they wouldn’t vocally oppose it and would deflect to saying political opponents were not real supporters of the party / country). I don’t want Trump killed, I want people to come to their senses about just how bad he is and not vote for him.

The red line in the sand for not being elected to office in the United States should not be Gas Chambers or Kristallnacht or the Night of the Long Knives

Last edited:
The day after someone tried to kill a Presidential candidate for Dems to still be calling him Hitler is beyond disgraceful. Hitler murdered 6M people. Disappointed but not surprised. The rhetoric needs to be toned down.

The day after someone tried to kill a Presidential candidate for Dems to still be calling him Hitler is beyond disgraceful. Hitler murdered 6M people. Disappointed but not surprised. The rhetoric needs to be toned down.
No. You need to acknowledge that killing 6 million people was not the only reason Hitler was bad. Even without the Holocaust, he was still a nationalist who completely corrupted the German state and started WWII. Part of what led to all those people dying was the way he inflamed the public against political opponents and minorities and espoused the superiority of his race. Trump does the same damn thing. He may not want to kill a bunch of people… but that’s not the bar we need to set to be compared to Hitler.

People compare him to Hitler because some of the comparisons actually matter to democracy, and the more he and his party devolve the ideals of our state the more precarious our position becomes.

Honestly I’m not too worried about Trump himself…. He probably only has 10 years of life left. I’m worried about what he does to our governmental system and who might step into the void after him…. And what they can due with the state he left our political system in. What’s really worrying is the total ambivalence our country has towards holding people like Trump accountable for their actions. (Not saying he deserves to be executed for anything, just that he shouldn’t have been put back into these political conversations.)

Would you be more comfortable if Dems started referring to Trump as “Dumber Hitler without the Gas Chambers?” Because that gets us a lot closer to how bad he is.

Last edited:
No. You need to acknowledge that killing 6 million people was not the only reason Hitler was bad, even without the Holocaust, he was still a nationalist who started WWII. Part of what led to all those people dying was the way he inflamed the public against political opponents and minorities and espoused the superiority of his race. Trump does the same damn thing. He may not want to kill a bunch of people… but that’s not the bar we need to set to be compared to Hitler.

People compare him to Hitler because some of the comparisons actually matter to democracy, and the more he and his party devolve the ideals of our state the more precarious our position becomes.

Honestly I’m not to worried about Trump…. He probably only has 10 years of life left. I’m worried about what he does to our governmental system and who might step into the void after him…. And what they can due with the state he left our political system in.
Perhaps compare to WW who spied on German Americans or FDR that locked Japanese Americans in concentration camps.. ( my aunt survived one of those but her parents did not )..

Perhaps compare to WW who spied on German Americans or FDR that locked Japanese Americans in concentration camps.. ( my aunt survived one of those but her parents did not )..
So you’re saying that you’re going to vote to put a Woodrow Wilson or FDR in office? That’s quite the shift from you.

Funny that the worst, most despicable parts of those administrations are the bar you set for what you think Trump is capable of.

Somebody out there is always going to go there. Why would you be surprised or disappointed when social media makes it so easy to find? For this reason, I don't intentionally search it out on twitter, and/or just ignore it as background noise when I come across it. Both sides do this on every issue out there. Outrage over this seems unnecessary. The fringe will always be there.

Last edited:
He is no Hitler!

He is more of an aspiring Erdogan or Orban. Bad but not the same.
Erdogan at least doesn’t have the same tendency for lying / gaslighting that Trump does (shares that quality with Putin / Hitler and some other historical figures)

Orban just seems like he’s playing little league. Would be more worrisome than he is now if he were in charge of a country that actually mattered in terms of population and global politics / military security.

So you’re saying that you’re going to vote to put a Woodrow Wilson or FDR in office? That’s quite the shift from you.

Funny that the worst, most despicable parts of those administrations are the bar you set for what you think Trump is capable of.
you point out traits he has with bad actors in the world.. but not those he shares with your heroes..

No. You need to acknowledge that killing 6 million people was not the only reason Hitler was bad, even without the Holocaust, he was still a nationalist who started WWII. Part of what led to all those people dying was the way he inflamed the public against political opponents and minorities and espoused the superiority of his race. Trump does the same damn thing. He may not want to kill a bunch of people… but that’s not the bar we need to set to be compared to Hitler.

Stop trying to justify this crap. There are multiple leaders throughout history (past and present) who support nationalist views. Use one of them. Hitler most known for murdering over 6M men, women and children. He’s being used by these hate filled people for shear shock value. You know this of course. As I said, I had hoped a man being murdered in front of his family would calm the inflammatory rhetoric. Sadly I was wrong. Even more sad is that there are people like yourself who still support this type of speech. If both Biden and Trump can ask for people to chill on the hate based rhetoric I foolishly expected those wishes to carry some weight. Hell…they don’t even carry weight on this board. Quit being part of the problem. We need some unity. Sometbjng both candidates are calling for.

German or Japanese heritage in your family?

Stop trying to justify this crap. There are multiple leaders throughout history (past and present) who support nationalist views. Use one of them. Hitler most known for murdering over 6M men, women and children. He’s being used by these hate filled people for shear shock value. You know this of course. As I said, I had hoped a man being murdered in front of his family would calm the inflammatory rhetoric. Sadly I was wrong. Even more sad is that there are people like yourself who still support this type of speech. If both Biden and Trump can ask for people to chill on the hate based rhetoric I foolishly expected those wishes to carry some weight. Hell…they don’t even carry weight on this board. Quit being part of the problem. We need some unity. Sometbjng both candidates are calling for.
The Hitler comparison is not being made for shock value, it’s being made because it’s a fairly accurate historical representation of the kinds of things that Trump has done (particularly January 6th)

You hear Hitler you think Holocaust.

I hear Hitler I think leading violent coups subverting democracy invading Czech Republic, Poland, France, Russia, and bombing London. Allying with other nationalist countries that commit atrocities and stand against democracy, Getting Rid of Political Parties. Using hate speech against minorities in large rallies where the audience was eating it up.

Somebody out there is always going to go there. Why would you be surprised or disappointed when social media makes it so easy to find? For this reason, I don't intentionally search it out on twitter, and/or just ignore it as background noise when I come across it. Both sides do this on every issue out there. Outrage over this seems unnecessary. The fringe will always be there.
I’m more disappointed that we have board members who still apparently support this crap. Or at least is trying to justify it.

The Hitler comparison is not being made for shock value, it’s being made because it’s a fairly accurate historical representation of the kinds of things that Trump has done (particularly January 6th)

You hear Hitler you think Holocaust.

I hear Hitler I think leading violent coups subverting democracy invading Czech Republic, Poland, France, Russia, and bombing London. Allying with other nationalist countries that commit atrocities and stand against democracy, Getting Rid of Political Parties. Using hate speech against minorities in large rallies where the audience was eating it up.
A vast majority of people who hear Hitler immediately think of the Holocaust as he is infamous for murdering millions of Jews. You know this of course. As for young, uneducated, and mentally unstable people that number is obviously higher. Again…you know this. Hitler is absolutely used for shock value as he’s widely viewed as the most evil person in recent world history. Shame on you for continuing to support such rhetoric after recent events.

You hear Hitler you think Holocaust which is not really unique to Hitler as Stalin was just as bad.

I hear Hitler I think leading violent coups against democracy. Invading Czekoslovakia, Poland, France, Russia, and bombing London. Getting Rid of Political Parties. Using hate speech against minorities in large rallies where the audience was eating it up. Allying with other authoritarian countries who were adversaries of freedom and democracy. And finally creating a cult of personality around himself that encouraged everyone to praise him without hesitancy (ex : Heil Hitler).

I’m more disappointed that we have board members who still apparently support this crap. Or at least is trying to justify it.
I’m disappointed that people weren’t more outspoken about the problems Trump posed in the first place and allowed someone like this to re-emerge to a place of political authority….

But her emails!

You would be someone who would blame the Social Democrats’s rhetoric in Weimar Germany for the burning of the Reichstag.

Last edited:
A vast majority of people who hear Hitler immediately think of the Holocaust as he is infamous for murdering millions of Jews. You know this of course. As for young, uneducated, and mentally unstable people that number is obviously higher. Again…you know this. Hitler is absolutely used for shock value as he’s widely viewed as the most evil person in recent world history. Shame on you for continuing to support such rhetoric after recent events.
Maybe the problem that we’re having with Trump is related to the anpparent lack of education the general population has on the fact that the Holocaust had very little to do with why WWii occurred….

The general US population didn’t really understand the severity of the Holocaust until the war was long underway.

Last edited:
GFY with your “shame”. Shame on you for allowing it to come to this with years and years of ignorance and ambivalence, and your perception that both sides are equal.

Again I say, he’s “Dumber Hitler without the Gas Chambers” and that should be good enough.

He’s not dumber Stalin, he’s not dumber Mao, he’s not dumber Pol Pot or Saddam or Gadaffi…. He’s dumber Hitler.
Interesting lack of civility...

GFY with your “shame”. Shame on you for allowing it to come to this with years and years of ignorance and ambivalence, and your perception that both sides are equal.

Again I say, he’s “Dumber Hitler without the Gas Chambers”

He’s not dumber Stalin, he’s not dumber Mao, he’s not dumber Pol Pot or Saddam or Gadaffi…. He’s dumber Hitler.
Unfortunately, you’re trying your best today to show me that both sides aren’t equal. Just a sad state that after this weekend we have educated people still supporting hate based and harmful rhetoric. Suppose it is what it is. I’m just disappointed as I had hoped people might calm the hate after seeing the damage it can cause.

Unfortunately, you’re trying your best today to show my that both sides aren’t equal. Just a sad state that after this weekend we have educated people still supporting hate based and harmful rhetoric. Suppose it is what it is. I’m just disappointed as I had hoped people might calm the hate after seeing the damage it can cause.
When your (and I mean you specifically) immediate conclusion was to try every way you could to pin the cause of this event on liberalism the day of the attempt (“not a real Republican”), I knew that it wasn’t going to result in any calming of the situation.

How about this… I will start calling out Democrats for referring to Trump as Hitler when you start calling out Republicans for… mimicking Hitler and his stooges (minus the gas chambers)

To quote you earlier… looks like the Republican party isn’t going to chill with the Rhetoric….

Last edited:
I am hoping this is a George Wallace political moment for Trump. A fundamental shift in thinking.

If he picks Vance as VP it would seem counter to this hope.

When your (and I mean you specifically) immediate conclusion was to try every way you could to pin the cause of this event on liberalism the day of the attempt (“not a real Republican”), I knew that it wasn’t going to result in any calming of the situation.

How about this… I will start calling out Democrats for referring to Trump as Hitler when you start calling out Republicans for… mimicking Hitler and his stooges (minus the gas chambers)

To quote you earlier… looks like the Republican party isn’t going to chill with the Rhetoric….
MTG is a clown and a sorry excuse for a human being. A don’t care what party she belongs. A clown is a clown. Hateful harmful rhetoric is hateful harmful rhetoric and should be condemned especially after this weekends events. I can’t be any more clear than this.

MTG is a clown and a sorry excuse for a human being. A don’t care what party she belongs. A clown is a clown. Hateful harmful rhetoric is hateful harmful rhetoric and should be condemned especially after this weekends events. I can’t be any more clear than this.
Olbermann’s comments were childishly reductive as to why Trump is a threat to democracy. You can’t just say “he’s Hitler” because as you pointed out previously…. People hear Hitler and think Holocaust.

I do not agree that the comparison isn’t at all valid, but I do agree that a layman (uneducated Trump voter) or an ignorant youth might perceive things improperly when seeing that.

In either side I have trouble imagining in an immediate future, having political opponents jailed without some semblance of just cause… but what is worrying to me is where there is definitive just cause for repercussions and none are handed down.

Last edited:
I temporarily unlocked him to see what was going on. He's locked again. He doesn't belong here. He hates TU.
This thread isn’t even about TU? You have done a good job at making me loathe at least one TU alumni…. (Yourself)

Weird deal. A registered Pub who supports ActBlue (a left wing PAC). To be fair he was 20 years old.
I don't think the ActBlue donation is confirmed to be from the shooter yet. Saw somewhere that the ActBlue donation came from a guy in Pittsburgh with the same name, but that guy was listed as 69 years old.

I'll treat any information in the coming days with a grain of salt until more official findings start getting released.

So far all I know is that he was young, apparently registered Republican. His father is a Libertarian, and his mother is a Democrat.

He could have just been angry that he never made the high school rifle team (really, he didn't even make the JV squad), and wanted to prove it to the world that he was a good marksman after all by taking down a presidential candidate.

He could have just been angry that he never made the high school rifle team (really, he didn't even make the JV squad), and wanted to prove it to the world that he was a good marksman after all by taking down a presidential candidate.
Trump turned his head to look at a chart he was using. Two things Trump rarely does when speaking. That chart may have saved his life.

Trump can be compared to Berlusconi maybe. Using Hitler just makes people ignore you because it’s dumb

Reactions: drboobay
Trump can be compared to Berlusconi maybe. Using Hitler just makes people ignore you because it’s dumb
Very accurate comparison, but Berlusconi wasn't making decisions that had as direct an effect on other countries. Prime Minister of Italy < President of US in world affairs.

Reactions: drboobay
I dont know about the rest of you.. but my liver cant keep up with taking a shot everytime someone mentions Hitler...

Thats just cheating the game...

That would be like WATU saying "China " 5 times...
You slipped that one in there, after the fact. I don't remember for certain, but I think I've used that persons name once, maybe twice on here in 17 years.(other than in that post) Not counting the times I was referring to someone else using it first.

So nobody's going to refer to the other big deal Trump news items today, other than his assassination attempt, besides me?

So nobody's going to refer to the other big deal Trump news items today, other than his assassination attempt, besides me?
I’ll comment over there. Trump and Biden and their classified document saga is fairly meh to me. Bigger things going on in this country.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Thats just cheating the game...

That would be like WATU saying "China " 5 times...

I did some quick research on when I had Hitler in my post. Most of the times it was in who I quoted's post. More of the quotes were from you than from anybody else, talking about Hitler.

In only one post did I ever say someone was like Hitler. That was when I compared Iran's political regime(s) to Hitler's regime.

Then I realized why you have Hitler on the brain, especially with me. I've logically asked if you were comparing Hitler to other politicians, with Obama & Bernie on two different occasions. I didn't quote the Bernie one, thought one example was enough.
Obama is attempting to push Israel to a final solution.
Oh, so now you are comparing Obama to Hitler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT