ADVERTISEMENT

Assassination Attempt on Trump

The one thing I do find slightly ironic is that the far right use this very sort of occurrence in their defense when justifying the need for the 2nd amendment. Wonder if anyone's viewpoints will change?

Who am I kidding....

This will have the exact opposite effect. The far right will view this as proof the far left is armed and willing to kill them based solely on their political views.
I don't think these are opposites. In fact I think they are collaborative viewpoints.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
I have close friends who are on the far left and several on the far right. I consider most of them very intelligent. It’s fascinating to hear about their life experiences and figure out how their political views developed. The two groups don’t mix btw which I find sad. I tend to act as the intermediary.
I have family that is very pro Biden, and I love them just the same as I would if they were pro trump , I did make a joke one time that America having Biden run the country was like Phillip Montgomery running the TU offense 😂 that’s about as much “ division” there is , we need to get back to being able to function as a country even if we have different views

Did anyone state he gave any type of directive ? He obviously didn’t mean it literally. Like I said…still a bad look and bad timing
It was in a meeting with donors. If this hadn't happened, nobody would have known bout what was said.

Reactions: lawpoke87
There’s obviously crazies on both sides. You don’t expect this kind of statement from a journalist of the largest paper in Seattle though.

I have close friends who are on the far left and several on the far right. I consider most of them very intelligent. It’s fascinating to hear about their life experiences and figure out how their political views developed. The two groups don’t mix btw which I find sad. I tend to act as the intermediary.
Note: I am getting increasingly irritated with this new board update. It has done similar but not identical things to me on a number of occasions before. They take a long and drawn out explanation!!! I quoted two different quotes by lawpoke on the same post, and put two different remarks below each of them. When I looked up at the posted remark, it put a repetition of the same two quotes with my different remarks, and left out the differing quote which was there when I hit post reply. Aggravated, I went in and edited the post to take out the one that was incorrect,(quote and remark) and reposted. Then I went and quoted the one that got messed up, and pasted my remark and posted the two quotes separately. I looked at it again after I had gone back and forth on different pages, and the one I had corrected, was now posted with the other quote, having changed once again from what I had done in editing. Really aggravating if you have to make sure what you posted, actually was what was posted. @Chris Harmon

So I will post this again with the right quote, that it changed on me before. It made little sense the way it was incorrectly posted before.

Oil & Water, and in other situations fire & fuse.

There’s obviously crazies on both sides. You don’t expect this kind of statement from a journalist of the largest paper in Seattle though.

I anticipate a lot of culture war falling out of this. I think it's not very different than it has been in the past when something like this happened, except for the fact that Trump (barely) survived.

When I was much younger I asked my mom about where she was when she found out Kennedy had been killed. She said they came across the intercom in her school in Bartlesville saying the president had been shot in Dallas. The young guy sitting behind her said, and I quote, "good riddance". She slapped him. I would expect nothing less of anyone who said something similar about Trump.

I find social media isolates the extremist rather than promoting the exchange of ideas and views. It’s a weird dynamic. Their friends tend to be those with similar views. Their social media feeds are almost exclusively hard right of hard left rhetoric. It all just reinforces their beliefs that they are 100% in the right. It’s a dangerous situation.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

That sounds like a weekly/bi weekly Tulsa People/Village Voice type of newspaper. Not like the Tulsa World/NY Times, for instance. It would probably have a more leftist tendency than a regular newspaper, especially in Seattle.

Last edited:
She said they came across the intercom in her school in Bartlesville saying the president had been shot in Dallas. The young guy sitting behind her said, and I quote, "good riddance". She slapped him.
I guess enough time has passed since this happened.(my lifetime + five years)

I burst out laughing when I read your mom's reaction.

Reactions: astonmartin708
This is stupid. People still died. Trump almost died. The 'good guy with the gun' didn't prevent or inhibit anything.

If I can analogize this to a pregnancy scare, the good guy with the gun is an abortion rather than a condom.
Aston….the good guy with the gun likely prevented many other people from being killed due to him quickly eliminating the assassin. Seems very unlikely the guy was finished shooting people.

I guess enough time has passed since this happened.(my lifetime + five years)

I burst out laughing when I read your mom's reaction.
I mean, talk about poor taste. Kennedy as a politician was certainly contentious to many Americans, and I would think many in Oklahoma at that time.

I was just trying to illustrate that no matter what side you're on in these situations, there will be some people who just can't be trusted to deal with the situation with some gravitas and dignity. If nothing else, a father and a husband died that day. Trump, though just as morally corrupt, would be in the same situation. And in this case you had an innocent bystander die which is even worse.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Aston….the good guy with the gun likely prevented many other people from being killed due to him quickly eliminating the assassin. Seems very unlikely the guy was finished shooting people.
I have not heard any news that the shooter was targeting bystanders. I think it's fairly logical that he was shooting at Trump, missed, and hit people in the gallery behind Trump.

The good guy with the gun may have prevented more deaths, or the death of Trump.... but he didn't prevent the occurrence, in fact it was probably that guy's negligence that got someone killed because he didn't clear the (blatantly obvious) roof earlier.

I had always been told that the secret service tended to have operational awareness on all heightened buildings surrounding people like Trump. I suppose that's not the case? Maybe it's just because he wasn't the acting president?

This stuff happens regularly in the USA primarily due to the plethora of firearms. Period.

It is time for an amendment to the second amendment and much stricter gun control. Repatriation of firearms. Collect them all up and license them in a highly controlled way for hunter and sport.

Guns are treared with more respect than Jesus in this country. I believe this from the bottom of my heart.

• Haha
Reactions: noble cane
And in this case you had an innocent bystander die which is even worse.
That's the one that is not responsible at all.

I lay some blame on Trump for the way he has handled himself since he ran for office in 2016 until now. You can't step all over people, and destroy all sense of etiquette, and feel like you don't bear some of the responsibility for this happening. He has supported similar actions against Democrats. You can't do that, and legitimately expect it won't come back and bite you. He even supported it against his own VP.

That's the one that is not responsible at all.

I lay some blame on Trump for the way he has handled himself since he ran for office in 2016 until now. You can't step all over people, and destroy all sense of etiquette, and feel like you don't bear some of the responsibility for this happening. He has supported similar actions against Democrats. You can't do that, and legitimately expect it won't come back and bite you. He even supported it against his own VP.
I don't feel very comfortable agreeing with you, that he brought something like this on himself, but I don't really have a great argument to the contrary as much as I would like to make one. If nothing else, I will say that our political system shouldn't be allowed to devolve to this. Contentious or not, political leaders should be overthrown with votes, not bullets.

Things are broken and no one is going to fix them if a movement doesn't start from the bottom up.

What I did immediately notice was that, as he was pumping his fist (exposing his head) being lead offstage, he was repeating the word "fight, fight, fight" to camera. I think that attitude has contributed to the political situation we are currently in (as have attitudes on the other side of the aisle)

In hindsight... that rally location really should have been a gun free zone....

in-hindsight-that-rally-really-should-have-been-a-gun-free-v0-8lm1gpw4sdcd1.jpeg

I don't feel very comfortable agreeing with you, that he brought something like this on himself, but I don't really have a great argument to the contrary as much as I would like to make one. If nothing else, I will say that our political system shouldn't be allowed to devolve to this. Contentious or not, political leaders should be overthrown with votes, not bullets.

Things are broken and no one is going to fix them if a movement doesn't start from the bottom up.

What I did immediately notice was that, as he was pumping his fist (exposing his head) being lead offstage, he was repeating the word "fight, fight, fight" to camera. I think that attitude has contributed to the political situation we are currently in (as have attitudes on the other side of the aisle)

In hindsight... that rally location really should have been a gun free zone....

in-hindsight-that-rally-really-should-have-been-a-gun-free-v0-8lm1gpw4sdcd1.jpeg
He is different than any politician in my lifetime.(Nixon-Present) He is more than likely different than any President in my Grandfathers lifetime.(Coolidge-LBJ...) You can't throw out all sense of decency and norms like he has, and expect anybody to say any differently. It's not like I feel comfortable saying it, but that doesn't make it untrue. I would love it if he went on doing projects like The Apprentice, and Trump Tower Moscow, but instead we all know what he did.

Reactions: Clong83a

Our product manager is so far left she likes to say “I’m so far left you get your guns back” and I tell her “I’m so far right you get your drugs back.” We’re great friends. It’s hard for most people to do that because everything has been elevated to an urgent moral issue. Everything is life and death. The fate of our country is always at stake. And on top of that everyone is convinced more than ever they cannot possibly be wrong about anything. How can you befriend the bad guys when the stakes are so high and you’re one of the righteous? We’re a sick society.

Horrible situation. I am glad he is okay. I am glad the shooter is dead.

Twitter is such a nightmare during these events. There were people saying it was :

A skinny white dude named Gavin Weiland
An Albanian Terrorist Yon Jerka
A Uruguayan Individual
A Marxist
A leftist democrat
Mark Violet (who was actually an Italian YouTuber Roma Giallorossa)

The NYPost is saying it is a Matthew Crooks supposedly, a 22 year-old registered republican that might have loved the YouTube channel demolitionranch.

Who knows at this point.

I assume it will probably turn out to be someone mentally ill and without any coherent political philosophy as it usually is

Shooter was a 20 year old registered Republican , wow
A Centrist is responsible. Who thought it would be them? (Or an off his rocker guy who registered republican right before he went off the deep end?)

The guy gave to a progressive Democratic organization about 3 years ago. Maybe the guy thought he'd change his registration before he went out in a blaze of glory. He figured the laughs on us, as he thought his last thoughts? We'll find out about his mental status over the next day or so.

Last edited:
400 feet away using an AR-15. Most likely legally purchased.

While it is not surprising for some of you to quote Putin’s propaganda machine from Twitter on here, it is disappointing.

The FBI said the shooter, who is dead, was identified as 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks of Bethel Park, Pennsylvania. A motive was not clear.

Bethel Park is a predominantly white, relatively well-to-do city in the southern reaches of greater Pittsburgh. The site of the rally, Butler, is about an hour’s drive north of Pittsburgh.

Pennsylvania voter records listed a Thomas Matthew Crooks with the same address and birth date as a registered Republican, though it was not clear from the records when that was put in place.

Last edited:
Weird deal. A registered Pub who supports ActBlue (a left wing PAC). To be fair he was 20 years old.

Weird deal. A registered Pub who supports ActBlue (a left wing PAC). To be fair he was 20 years old.
Probably just did that as a mind game , this idiot looks like a extreme liberal , interesting to see what we find out within the next week

Probably just did that as a mind game , this idiot looks like a extreme liberal , interesting to see what we find out within the next week
Who knows. Mind games. Registered Pub so he could vote against Trump in the PA primary? I know a lot of Pubs. Not one of them would ever think about giving money to ActBlue :)

Who knows. Mind games. Registered Pub so he could vote against Trump in the PA primary? I know a lot of Pubs. Not one of them would ever think about giving money to ActBlue :)
That and The fact he was wearing a far right wing shirt is also an indicator he was trying to prove a point against the right , not hard to figure out 😂

That and The fact he was wearing a far right wing shirt is also an indicator he was trying to prove a point against the right , not hard to figure out 😂
Could have just been out to get famous. I was listening to a podcast about Alexander the Great whose father was assassinated….. there was a reference that the easiest way to get famous is to kill someone who is already famous.

Anyone feel like we should take some “sage advice” from Trump who had this to say when addressing a crowd whose community had just recently been through a school shooting?

Quote: “It’s just horrible – so surprising to see it here. But we have to get over it. We have to move forward.”

Last edited:
Could have just been out to get famous. I was listening to a podcast about Alexander the Great whose father was assassinated….. there was a reference that the easiest way to get famous is to kill someone who is already famous.
Yep , very sickening , i would rather focus on the victim.

Also since I’m feeling like throwing out some of my opinions this morning 😂 I will say this too as a side note , if anyone is waiting on someone in Washington to fix their lives , they are always going to be disappointed, sometimes it can make it a little easier or harder , but most of the time , it’s up to you to make a good life ( sometimes stuff does happen such as disability, illness , accidents , ect so I’m not trying to throw everyone in the same boat )

Sounds like the SS spotted the shooter on the roof with a rifle but weren’t granted authorization to take the shooter out until it was too late. Get prepared for hearing after hearing and conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory on this incident if true. The video of the SS and eye witness accounts seem to back up this version.

Sounds like the SS spotted the shooter on the roof with a rifle but weren’t granted authorization to take the shooter out until it was too late. Get prepared for hearing after hearing and conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory on this incident if true. The video of the SS and eye witness accounts seem to back up this version.
I mean... that's interesting I suppose. Letting a civilian with an AR onto a rooftop 400 ft away from a presidential nominee seems like the primary failure here.

The really interesting thing that I didn't immediately think about was.... how did this kid know in advance that there wouldn't already be SS posted at this precise location?

Reactions: noble cane
I mean... that's interesting I suppose. Letting a civilian with an AR onto a rooftop 400 ft away from a presidential nominee seems like the primary failure here.

The really interesting thing that I didn't immediately think about was.... how did this kid know in advance that there wouldn't already be SS posted at this precise location?
He had to scout the area prior to the shooting. I assume he had no idea if there would be SS at the building when he arrived. Likely arrived early and watched SS movements and locations. The fact the guy was spotted and pointed out to security well prior to taking the shots seems like as big of failure as not securing the perimeter. The first report of a man on a roof with a rifle should have initiated the immediate removal of Trump from the stage…or at least one would think.

Not sure how relevant it is but the video of SS agents seemingly in a panic and being unable to even properly holster their sidearm is something I’ve never seen.

Last edited:
Real Pubs don’t donate to ActBlue for the purpose of electing Dem candidates.
Wasn't ActBlue one of the ones that HuffyCane was trying to convince us that they didn't always label their activities or make it obvious what you were supporting, when he was trying to excuse Merchan's donation to them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT