ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else very excited for basketball??

cmullinsTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
I cannot wait for basketball!!!

Ready to see if we defend the corner 3 and if we are the shooting team I expect us to be. Hoping Jeffries realizes he’s DMFJ and takes over games.

Does the basketball team reach 2 wins before the football team?

I hope the answer is yes to the 2 win question. I'm always excited for basketball. I have Nov 2 at 6 PM for the NSU exhibition game in red letters on my calendar.

Time for aa top 5 player eval.
After two practices so we now know everything:
Tap/Moore/Horne/Jeffries/Igbanu. Could see Scott at the 2/3 instead of Horne. Not sold on Horne's shooting and certainly not at Etou's level yet.

Sorry, had to correct, I'm never going to keep Barnes and Moore straight even though they are totally different players.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I REALLY want to be excited about hoops. I’ve heard some really good things from folks who’ve seen practices. We should be better than last year for sure. However... since 2003, basketball has let me down more times than not.

Maybe this year will be different - can’t be any worse than football!

Reactions: TULSARISING
I REALLY want to be excited about hoops. I’ve heard some really good things from folks who’ve seen practices. We should be better than last year for sure. However... since 2003, basketball has let me down more times than not.
If it is, Haith , Monty, and Gragg need to go

If basketball dosnt make the NCAA or isn't seriously considered, Haith needs to go, he has had time now to get his players in, and with the kind of money we are paying him, that is not much to ask, I hope he does well though, Frank seems like a good guy.

That almost fits the old Shakespearean theme "Damning with faint praise"....
But I know what you mean....It has sometimes seemed in the past that we
too often came up a player, a shooter, or a rebounder short in crunch time....
This year, we have the depth, and the overall experience factor is on our
side...It will be up to Haith (and the staff, of course) to make it all work....

I wonder when was the last time that we did not have a scholarship
freshman on the squad? Has to have been a while ago.....

This team has potential....I hope they get off to a good start!!

The key as always, can we put that little ball through the big hoop. I suspect we will continue with a lot of match up zone defense and dribble penetration.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I definitely had a lull in enthusiasm post 2009. I was high on the Shaq-Juice team... then when Haith took them over he mismanaged the team's development I got a bit offput. I'm in wait and see mode until further notice. I still watch all the games, but I'm not so excited as I was in 2014 or so.

I will say I’m excited about our conference schedule just as much as our non-conference schedule. Which wasn’t true in cusa. Had to get all our big win chances out of conference. Now we have just as many opportunities in conference.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Compare Tulsa's roster with the rest of the league.

It's not exactly a shot of confidence.

Talent usually wins in BB.

I definitely had a lull in enthusiasm post 2009. I was high on the Shaq-Juice team... then when Haith took them over he mismanaged the team's development I got a bit offput. I'm in wait and see mode until further notice. I still watch all the games, but I'm not so excited as I was in 2014 or so.

Hater. Manning bailed on that team because he didn’t think it would be competitive in this league. Haith pulled that off.

Hopefully you are right. Imo if Joiner is one of our best 5 we will be NCAA bound and
do some damage
If Joiner has improved to the point that he is one of our top five, it will mean
we are guard rich, which harkens back to yesteryear when our outstanding
guards dictated our success....He has the potential to be really good!

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Hater. Manning bailed on that team because he didn’t think it would be competitive in this league. Haith pulled that off.
Please provide me evidence of that. Or maybe he bailed because he was going to get more $$$ in a higher level league.

Haith pulled nothing off. Shaq, Woodard, and a couple other guys carried him to (barely) making a tournament. His coaching really showed up when he had us prepared for ORU, or for a subpar Memphis squad which we lost to twice to end the season.

Please provide me evidence of that. Or maybe he bailed because he was going to get more $$$ in a higher level league.

Haith pulled nothing off. Shaq, Woodard, and a couple other guys carried him to (barely) making a tournament. His coaching really showed up when he had us prepared for ORU, or for a subpar Memphis squad which we lost to twice to end the season.

Yea, 24-11 in the ACC was nothing compared to 22-13 in CUSA.
Losing to Green Bay was nothing compared to losing to SEOSU.
Losing to ORU was like, losing to ORU, weird.

Manning had to sneak in big wins against teams like UAB, wait, Charlotte, oops, ummm, UNT, Tulane, MTSU, and La Tech to get to 22 wins. Much, much tougher road than anything Haith had to deal with during his first year.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Yea, 24-11 in the ACC was nothing compared to 22-13 in CUSA.
Losing to Green Bay was nothing compared to losing to SEOSU.
Losing to ORU was like, losing to ORU, weird.

Manning had to sneak in big wins against teams like UAB, wait, Charlotte, oops, ummm, UNT, Tulane, MTSU, and La Tech to get to 22 wins. Much, much tougher road than anything Haith had to deal with during his first year.
I'm not arguing for Manning's record. I'm arguing that Haith didn't do a good job in developing talent and getting extra pieces that we needed to be successful. Redshirting TK (just so he could leave a season early), Recruiting guys like Kajon Brown and Keondre Dew... Those weren't Manning's mistakes. It was Haith's fault that he didn't surround an up and coming team with another bigman and more shooting. Manning laid the foundations of a good team and handed it to Haith. Haith mismanaged it.

I'm not saying Manning is better... just that Haith could have done a much better job with what he was given.

Funny how you don’t blame Danny at all for putting together a team with 9 seniors and no players really coming up behind them. You seek to forget that one..but yea Haith is the one who mismanaged the roster.

TU was going to pay as much or more than Wake. True story. We dodged a bullet there.

Quit all the hate. It’s just a waste of time.

everyone knew Manning thought Tulsa was an inferior job and that he wanted out at the first opportunity. All he could talk about was KU.

All he and his assistants ever tweeted about wasn’t KU this and KU that. It was disgusting, and they didn’t hide it. He wanted out the first chance he got, and I for one am glad he’s not successful right now.

Haith beat a Top 10 WSU team. He also won at Top 25 SMU when SMU had the longest home winning streak in the country. Something like 16 or 17 straight.

Whether he’s a great coach or not he’s the best coach TU has had in basketball in the past 15+ years.

Montgomery is not the best football coach we’ve had in the past 15 years. In fact he’s worse than Graham, and thus far sits even with Blankenship. If he doesn’t get two more wins this season, he then drops below Blankenship and then he’s the worst football coach we’ve had since before Kragthorpe.

Reactions: 4tu2 and Gold*
All he and his assistants ever tweeted about wasn’t KU this and KU that. It was disgusting, and they didn’t hide it. He wanted out the first chance he got, and I for one am glad he’s not successful right now.

Our football coaches *probably* watch old Baylor tapes and read Ken Starr’s books.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Haith beat a Top 10 WSU team. He also won at Top 25 SMU when SMU had the longest home winning streak in the country. Something like 16 or 17 straight.

Whether he’s a great coach or not he’s the best coach TU has had in basketball in the past 15+ years.

Montgomery is not the best football coach we’ve had in the past 15 years. In fact he’s worse than Graham, and thus far sits even with Blankenship. If he doesn’t get two more wins this season, he then drops below Blankenship and then he’s the worst football coach we’ve had since before Kragthorpe.
A top ten WSU team with a hobbled best player and an SMU team with nothing to play for other than a home streak because they were sanctioned. Again, nothing took Haith to those wins anyway, not the other way around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT