ADVERTISEMENT

Urgent Men's Basketball Needs

The NIL for now is the real deal. I don’t think Konkol will be recruiting players who’s only concerned about NIL. Not the players we or he wants. But when Western Kn can offer large monthly stipends it is time to compete.
I suspect Miami, conneticut and even San Diego state have 7 figure basketball NIL pockets. Not sure about FAU.
Schools like Tulane, WSU, North Texas, etc are killing us when it comes to raising NIL funds. We need to have several thousand a year to provide the needed supppot.
I would think you would need somewhere around $500K per yr to help with the NIL at Tulsa level. That is probably close to what Wichita st is saying they have. ( Maybe on the low end)

Reactions: I.I. and t-townpod
Besides the obvious insanity of this, if he underperforms or transfers or gets injured do his paymasters get their money back? They are paying like a professional sports franchise without the contractual structure of one. This will end badly.
On most of it the money is spread out over the year. So yes if the player leaves he isn't getting it. Now some like Pack from Miami that isn't the case.

Last edited:
By the way, you can select the sport you want your donation allocated. Go too Hurricaneimpact.org and select the "Teams" tab.
Does the Hurricaneimpact.org have something set up for the players to do charity work? For example, partnering with different Organizations and some of the players show up at the signature events to help out? That way the players give back some with their time and help. Also, most of the NIL can be set up as a charitable contribution and is a tax right off.

Not a huge fan of the NIL but it is here and it is not going away for the time being.

Where it hurts the most is say a team gets a kid that has a really good year and then the big schools come in and offer $100K for the next year. Can it be matched, or teams just lose their best players year after year.

Reactions: drboobay
Besides the obvious insanity of this, if he underperforms or transfers or gets injured do his paymasters get their money back? They are paying like a professional sports franchise without the contractual structure of one. This will end badly.
I think these are set up as services contracts, which can be multi-year with payment spread out and requiring performance. I wouldn't worry too much about the richie riches who are paying, they have plenty of good lawyers... If the contracts are going to screw anyone, it won't be them... Think of the kid whose parents are janitors and gets an offer of $50k. What kind of lawyer will she or he have working on that contract? Most will just sign what they're given. It's certainly not going to be Big Law, who will be working with the payer, that's for sure. There's lots of opportunity for abuse, but it won't be the richies who will be getting abused.

Does the Hurricaneimpact.org have something set up for the players to do charity work? For example, partnering with different Organizations and some of the players show up at the signature events to help out? That way the players give back some with their time and help. Also, most of the NIL can be set up as a charitable contribution and is a tax right off.

Not a huge fan of the NIL but it is here and it is not going away for the time being.

Where it hurts the most is say a team gets a kid that has a really good year and then the big schools come in and offer $100K for the next year. Can it be matched, or teams just lose their best players year after year.
They do have charity organizations that the players can work with probably on a very limited basis. Kinda like the summer jobs where some worked as others didn’t. You are on target about our players who shine next year. Agents will call them all year promising a bigger NIL deal and will take 20% of the money from the kid. Agents are making a killing.

Reactions: drboobay
I agree 100% with this!

Reactions: rusty-c
I get what Aston is saying...but that's living in fantasy land. NIL is here, it's bastardized college sports, and it's never going away. Our decision as TU alum/fans is are we going to put our athletic teams in the best situation possible to continue competing in division 1 while pursuing success in that competition...or hold to ideals, not support the dept./teams/NIL conglomerate and be OK with us sucking and winning 5 basketball games each year? There is no "Can't support NIL on principle but I still want the coach to be held to the same standard of winning as coaches with NIL support are held to". You cannot have it both ways as much as you want to. This isn't the I want my cake and eat it too...it's more like I want a cake to eat but I also have to bake it but in order to do so, I have to buy the ingredients first.
When in Rome...

They do have charity organizations that the players can work with probably on a very limited basis. Kinda like the summer jobs where some worked as others didn’t. You are on target about our players who shine next year. Agents will call them all year promising a bigger NIL deal and will take 20% of the money from the kid. Agents are making a killing.
Yes your link is for this exactly.

You’re still here? I think you missed a turn.

You seem to follow me around quite a bit in these threads where i am discussing Basketball and some of the changes in the landscape in the last few years.

I didn't see that i mentioned ORU in my last few posts... I also don't see much of a contribution on your part in the discussions. Am i missing something? OR maybe you are just one of those guys...

Why go to the NBA? Easier life in College getting 7.5MM a year.
This is very much the case for top women's BB players (though they have limited ability to leave early anyway). Good men's players will make more in the NBA but guys like Timme who rule where they are and don't have an obvious NBA fit will stay in college longer and make more, I imagine. I could see that being a nice niche for us. Somebody like Shea Seals.

This is very much the case for top women's BB players (though they have limited ability to leave early anyway). Good men's players will make more in the NBA but guys like Timme who rule where they are and don't have an obvious NBA fit will stay in college longer and make more, I imagine. I could see that being a nice niche for us. Somebody like Shea Seals.
Timme was well worth the $400K to $500K he made this year for sure. Great $$ and got to hang out with his buddies and finish up degree. I think he might be a career backup in NBA but get 8 to 10 yrs in. Not too bad of life!:)

By the way, you can select the sport you want your donation allocated. Go too Hurricaneimpact.org and select the "Teams" tab.
Yes, I see that but I would like to make a one time contribution, and
handle subsequent contributions on a manual basis as I am old as dirt
and don't want to leave any loose ends for my Heirs to clean up....All
of the contribution forms indicate I would be making the first of yearly
payments, and I don't see any provision to make it a one time deal....

I guess I can just write a check and mail it in....Any Ideas?

Yes, I see that but I would like to make a one time contribution, and
handle subsequent contributions on a manual basis as I am old as dirt
and don't want to leave any loose ends for my Heirs to clean up....All
of the contribution forms indicate I would be making the first of yearly
payments, and I don't see any provision to make it a one time deal....

I guess I can just write a check and mail it in....Any Ideas?
Edited:

If you have a credit card that allows you a virtual/temporary card #, you could do it that way. That way your card # would only be used for a limited time, and they couldn't charge it next year.(Until you gave them another virtual/temp card # next year.)

It's pretty easy to do on your card login if the card has that capability. I've done that once, on my one card that has that capability. I went into it blind and figured it out pretty easily. Only took me 20 min to find a card that had that capability, and figure out how to set up the virtual card #.

Will go smoother if you find out the day they will charge it the next year, and get in there before that date, to set it up manually. That way the card will go through before the old # gets declined.

Last edited:
Reactions: seniorgolfer
Thanks! I ended up writing the check....The NIL folks get a few cents
extra that way, and I won't have to worry about it.....

You seem to follow me around quite a bit in these threads where i am discussing Basketball and some of the changes in the landscape in the last few years.

I didn't see that i mentioned ORU in my last few posts... I also don't see much of a contribution on your part in the discussions. Am i missing something? OR maybe you are just one of those guys...
78’s distaste for ORU is legendary around here.

It might be a good idea to figure how to do it that way tho, if you have this kind of thing come up a decent amount of the time where you want to keep it clean for your heirs. After you figure it out, it only takes 5 min max to do it the second time.

Great! Everything is appreciated! The response from the basketball board has been exceptional!

Reactions: TU 1978
A majority of his NIL will come from Nike. I recently saw an article about him and LeBron designing Bronny shoes.

He also has his own boxer/underwear line that is part of his NIL monies.

Crazies thing, to me, is his younger brother is projected by quite a few to end up better than him. Not sure how that’s decided since he’s only a freshman.

There was a report that several of Miami's players are making around $2M from Miami's NIL collective
Jim Boeheim was complaining that the Miami team was bought and paid for by NIL money. The new formula going forward in basketball is ushering oldtimers( Coaches) out of the game. He also noted that the Pitt team was also bought and paid for in his league. He probably wasn't supposed to comment on that but I think he knew he was getting out!!!!

Go TU!!!

Jim Boeheim was complaining that the Miami team was bought and paid for by NIL money. The new formula going forward in basketball is ushering oldtimers( Coaches) out of the game. He also noted that the Pitt team was also bought and paid for in his league. He probably wasn't supposed to comment on that but I think he knew he was getting out!!!!

Go TU!!!
And I think that is the same reason K retired last year. While we despised Duke for getting all the best players, it wasn't because they were paying them the most and I don't think K appreciated that recruiting had become more of "you should come to Duke because we can pay you this much in NIL each year" vs "you should come to Duke because I will help you develop your game to give you a shot at the NBA".

Reactions: I.I. and Tu Geo
And I think that is the same reason K retired last year. While we despised Duke for getting all the best players, it wasn't because they were paying them the most and I don't think K appreciated that recruiting had become more of "you should come to Duke because we can pay you this much in NIL each year" vs "you should come to Duke because I will help you develop your game to give you a shot at the NBA".
I may be wrong for thinking this way but something about him never settled well with me. I just have this feeling he was one of the biggest cheaters in NCAA history and he was able to get away with it because of the name Duke. I bet if there was an investigation we would see thousands of infractions over the years.

I may be wrong for thinking this way but something about him never settled well with me. I just have this feeling he was one of the biggest cheaters in NCAA history and he was able to get away with it because of the name Duke. I bet if there was an investigation we would see thousands of infractions over the years.
Maybe, maybe not. The closest scandal Duke basketball every got associated with was the false rape allegation against the Duke lacrosse player. I think after his 1986 Final Four run, recruiting became easy for him as he usually only had to beat out a couple of programs for any given player and he won an awful lot of those battles. If anything was shady I think it would have happened in the early years to try and build that winner. Then again, look at the 5* players going to Duke and the 5* players going to UNC or Kentucky? Pretty different profiles on most of those players. K was certainly helped out by Duke's admissions on getting some questionable academic guys in but they had to keep pace with UK and UNC which had much lower admissions standards and for scholarship athletes it was probably along the same lines as being qualified as a FR (2.5 GPA and corresponding standardized test score)

Reactions: TUcandoit
Didn't Duke have some shady classes that all students could take, but aside from the basketball players most students were embarrassed to have them on their transcript.

Didn't Duke have some shady classes that all students could take, but aside from the basketball players most students were embarrassed to have them on their transcript.
I think that was UNC...and while the NCAA said the classes didn't meet muster, because any student could take them and not just basketball players, and the cheating was not limited to athletes, they wouldn't hold UNC accountable for it. The men's basketball team had been doing that class and a no show A for them for about 20 years or so. I think the whistle blower was a professor at UNC

Reactions: TU Sepp and TU1NNJ
I think that was UNC...and while the NCAA said the classes didn't meet muster, because any student could take them and not just basketball players, and the cheating was not limited to athletes, they wouldn't hold UNC accountable for it. The men's basketball team had been doing that class and a no show A for them for about 20 years or so. I think the whistle blower was a professor at UNC
I live in the RTP NC area and have from 1988 -2002 and again from 2011 to now. I am a TU fan and do not really support any of the local schools. You are correct about UNC having the class that got them in trouble but not nearly as much it should have caused.

Regarding Duke and Coach K - I met him a few times but know people from my former CEO (who sat right behind him at all home games) to the guy that drove the team bus to local games (UNC, NC ST, WF, etc…) and many others that knew him well. No one has a bad word to say about him. He was competitive within what the rules allowed, demanding of his players and nice to people on the street.

The bus driver told me that before he became the regular Duke driver, he had driven the team once or twice, and that was his only early interaction with Coach K. One day he was driving a tour group around campus in the late 80’s and was near Cameron when Coach K walked by. Coach K saw him and motioned for him to stop the bus. K greeted him by name asked if the people on the bus would like to see the building. He then gave them a guided tour.

Side note - Jimmy V use to hold court every Sunday morning in the off season at Horowitz Deli in Cary’s Macgregor Village. People loved to listen to his stories. He really enjoyed having a crowd around him.

I live in the RTP NC area and have from 1988 -2002 and again from 2011 to now. I am a TU fan and do not really support any of the local schools. You are correct about UNC having the class that got them in trouble but not nearly as much it should have caused.

Regarding Duke and Coach K - I met him a few times but know people from my former CEO (who sat right behind him at all home games) to the guy that drove the team bus to local games (UNC, NC ST, WF, etc…) and many others that knew him well. No one has a bad word to say about him. He was competitive within what the rules allowed, demanding of his players and nice to people on the street.

The bus driver told me that before he became the regular Duke driver, he had driven the team once or twice, and that was his only early interaction with Coach K. One day he was driving a tour group around campus in the late 80’s and was near Cameron when Coach K walked by. Coach K saw him and motioned for him to stop the bus. K greeted him by name asked if the people on the bus would like to see the building. He then gave them a guided tour.

Side note - Jimmy V use to hold court every Sunday morning in the off season at Horowitz Deli in Cary’s Macgregor Village. People loved to listen to his stories. He really enjoyed having a crowd around him.
Coach K is one of those figures that if you don't know him and you're not a Duke fan, people try to find something to dislike about him because of how successful he is. I can't speak to what he's like behind closed doors or in non-public practices with his teams, but he always presented himself as a teacher and mentor and somewhat of a 180 personality wise from his coaching mentor Bobby Knight.

Thanks TULSAFAN... I have known you since our days of watching Self's team in the Practice gym. I agree that none of us like what is happening but if me and Senior golfer were ever going to get to see TU have a chance to make the NCAA Tournament again , I had to bite the bullet and donate.
Two different worlds....The one before Portal/NIL, and the one since....The one before kept
at least some sort of posture as an amateur sport....Since portal/NIL you can take your
choice between semipro and professional, but in some cases it is openly professional.....

If you want to be an active fan of TU sports, or for that matter, any other college's athletic
programs, you can be a contributing fan or a non-contributing fan....You can contribute to
the team's athletic fund, and/or the the NIL fund, however it is set up.....

The world before portal/NIL is gone....There is no sense bitching about the morality or
ethos that got us here. This is the world we live in.....Either help the program or choose
not to... It's tough trying to reconcile the present world with the one we knew in the past...
But, complaining without action will not help our coaches be successful...In fact, it almost
guarantees they won't be!

If you want our coaches to have an even playing field, you know damned well what we
have to do.....If not, why not shut down all of the negative input....That certainly doesn't
help the situation or the program!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT