ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody else very excited for basketball??

A top ten WSU team with a hobbled best player and an SMU team with nothing to play for other than a home streak because they were sanctioned. Again, nothing took Haith to those wins anyway, not the other way around.

So weird, Haith doesn't get credit because WSU's best player, was so injured he could only play 30 minutes, a bit of a stretch.

SMU doesn't count because they had nothing to play for. And yet, TU was 1 of 5 teams that managed to beat them that season and the only team to beat them in Moody. The team with nothing to play for then followed up the TU loss with a win at home over Gonzaga. A Gonzaga team that made the Sweet 16. Methinks your bias against Haith is showing.

<————- will buy tickets for MartonAston to become ORU fan

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So weird, Haith doesn't get credit because WSU's best player, was so injured he could only play 30 minutes, a bit of a stretch.

SMU doesn't count because they had nothing to play for. And yet, TU was 1 of 5 teams that managed to beat them that season and the only team to beat them in Moody. The team with nothing to play for then followed up the TU loss with a win at home over Gonzaga. A Gonzaga team that made the Sweet 16. Methinks your bias against Haith is showing.
I you think FVV was at his best that game you’re insane.

Shaq and Juice + others certainly carried Haith’s butt a long way in spite of him giving them little help.

I you think FVV was at his best that game you’re insane.

Shaq and Juice + others certainly carried Haith’s butt a long way in spite of him giving them little help.

Seems like you have a personal beef with Haith. What’s the deeper issue here between you and him?

haters, gonna hate, hate, hate -TS

HopefulGenerousKoi-size_restricted.gif

Who cares if Van Vleet was his best. That team was loaded.
They had VV and Baker and not a ton else. They barely made the tournament that season (just like us). They weren’t nearly as good as the previous years.

You know there are reasons to question Haith's coaching that don't include pretending big wins/accomplishments didn't happen. You don't HAVE to cling to bad takes

EXACTLY! Here’s a few off the top of my head that are better takes and don’t lead to Taylor Swift:

He doesn’t have the team prepared for every game.

He seems to think non conference games don’t count and treats them like NBA preseason.

He’s struggled to win once he makes it to the NCAAs

EXACTLY! Here’s a few off the top of my head that are better takes and don’t lead to Taylor Swift:

You would think he learned his lesson after the Lamar game. We will see very soon! I will be at the exhibition this Friday, even if it's against NSU, I'm starving to see a TU victory

He seems to think non conference games don’t count and treats them like NBA preseason.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
You know there are reasons to question Haith's coaching that don't include pretending big wins/accomplishments didn't happen. You don't HAVE to cling to bad takes
The big wins didn’t make up for the terrible losses. Hence missing and being seeded terribly on the NCAA tournament

RoboHaith and his autobench!!!11

According to the peseason conference poll we are 9th.

Is that about right?
Are we that bad?
Is the conference that strong?

1. No- we have outperformed preseason predictions every year. There seems to always be a media push to boost up those programs like uconn, Memphis, etc.

2. Do some research, no.

3. No.

1. No- we have outperformed preseason predictions every year. There seems to always be a media push to boost up those programs like uconn, Memphis, etc.

2. Do some research, no.

3. No.

Actually, yes the conference is that strong. Our secret scrimmages are coming in and the AAC teams are bashing some people including a double digit win by basement dweller ECU over Wake. It's a 3-5 bid league depending on SMU and UCF staying healthy. There are probably another 3-4 possible NIT teams. That's with out expecting much from UConn or Memphis this year. Really only three teams will be bad and Tulane may actually be better than many think.

Reactions: GOB10
Haith ain't terrible, but his recruiting must improve in the HS ranks. I've said all along that his lack of bringing in quality HS players will be his downfall. And I did not see what coming when we hired him.

The talent discrepancy is real IMO - the eye test and the last couple classes in the AAC. Haith must get better talent --- top 150 player each year from the HS ranks should be expected.

Actually, yes the conference is that strong. Our secret scrimmages are coming in and the AAC teams are bashing some people including a double digit win by basement dweller ECU over Wake. It's a 3-5 bid league depending on SMU and UCF staying healthy. There are probably another 3-4 possible NIT teams. That's with out expecting much from UConn or Memphis this year. Really only three teams will be bad and Tulane may actually be better than many think.
Rothstein has been leaking info on the scrimmages. He said to take them with a grain of salt though because he's heard that quite a few coaches have been resting star level players who might have minor injuries.

I'm always excited for basketball, but also trying to stay realistic. We were an NIT bubble team last year that graduated our leading scorer. We've definitely got 2/5ths of an NCAAT starting lineup with a 3rd option that's played at that level in conference games, but that's obviously not enough on its own.

We're going to need massive improvement from a couple returning players who really struggled last year (Joiner, Scott) as well as significant contributions from guys who haven't played a competitive game in more than 18 months (Horne, Moore, Barnes). And it wouldn't hurt to find a diamond in the rough (Falokun).

I think all of this is possible FWIW, but it's not a given. We've got a 4-year history of underperforming preseason computer rankings by about 20 spots and we're ranked around #100 to start this season, so we'll need to break that trend. And if we don't, you have to squint to find improvement next year after Taplin and Jeffries are gone.

So, like I said, excited but also realistic. And the 9th place pick is a joke.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I'm always excited for basketball, but also trying to stay realistic. We were an NIT bubble team last year that graduated our leading scorer. We've definitely got 2/5ths of an NCAAT starting lineup with a 3rd option that's played at that level in conference games, but that's obviously not enough on its own.

We're going to need massive improvement from a couple returning players who really struggled last year (Joiner, Scott) as well as significant contributions from guys who haven't played a competitive game in more than 18 months (Horne, Moore, Barnes). And it wouldn't hurt to find a diamond in the rough (Falokun).

I think all of this is possible FWIW, but it's not a given. We've got a 4-year history of underperforming preseason computer rankings by about 20 spots and we're ranked around #100 to start this season, so we'll need to break that trend. And if we don't, you have to squint to find improvement next year after Taplin and Jeffries are gone.

So, like I said, excited but also realistic. And the 9th place pick is a joke.
This sums up my attitude.

Coaches Poll: (Preseason Rank/Finish)
2015: 5th/2nd
2016: 4th/3rd (3-way tie)
2017: 9th/7th
2018: 8th/4th
2019: 9th/???

KenPom: (Preseason Rank/Finish)
2015: 48/85
2016: 47/65
2017: 104/144
2018: 82/110
2019: 114/???

Both, the computers like us more than the people that make the pre-season polls.

Hopefully this year we will outperform both the computers and the polls!!
We will be an NCAA team this year because of one man.... A very bad man... DMFJ!

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Coaches Poll: (Preseason Rank/Finish)
2015: 5th/2nd
2016: 4th/3rd (3-way tie)
2017: 9th/7th
2018: 8th/4th
2019: 9th/???

KenPom: (Preseason Rank/Finish)
2015: 48/85
2016: 47/65
2017: 104/144
2018: 82/110
2019: 114/???

Is it the bad OOC losses that cause the under-performance in the KenPom rankings?

And Scott may have struggled the 1st half of the season, but once we got into conference he was a very reliable player off the bench that showed he had a lot more game on offense than just jacking 3s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT