ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Building a team destined to disappoint the Memphis fan base. Illinois 6th man, committed. (Dainja Dain) Every guy they pull in wants top billing, thus they fail. Why else would you pull in the 6th man from a program at the top, like Illinois.

Reactions: dougheffking
Building a team destined to disappoint the Memphis fan base. Illinois 6th man, committed. (Dainja Dain) Every guy they pull in wants top billing, thus they fail. Why else would you pull in the 6th man from a program at the top, like Illinois.
Their fans are pumped up about their shiny new objects, but they are coached by nothing more than an AAU level coach. It's going to be a beautiful disaster once again.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Do you sit out a year when you change jobs? Just because some fans get their feelings hurt, does a young person have to lose a year of their life?
Some of you people think this is a job. It is not a job. They don’t have to sit out a year. They can go down to D2 or naia. They just shouldn’t be transferring to a D1. That’s how the rule had been. This “NIL” crap has gone too far. I believe that the player should be able to make money off their name, image and likeness. If the player expects the university or donor from the university to pay for them to play there then they should not be allowed to have a scholarship. If the university endorses it ad allows the donor to pay it then the university loses the scholarship altogether. The player will have to pay their own way through school

Isn't this a summary of TU athletics over the last 70 years or so? As you all know, there's a reason there are no schools in FBS smaller than TU (and outside of the service academies, it isn't even close) - it takes big money. With our small size, it's an ongoing uphill battle to get the resources needed to compete at the highest level. Most would say given our size TU doesn't belong on the same field as Notre Dame or court as UCLA, but I have seen us victorious over both, along with many other much more endowed programs. A huge part of why I will always love the Golden Hurricane is because we're the little guy, the runt, in there scrapping with the big boys. TU has done amazingly well over the years considering our deficiencies thanks to its generous benefactors and thankfully it sounds like we're still in there giving it our best fight. Hell, TU itself likely wouldn't exist without the incredible generosity of non-alumni donors who have supported the whole enterprise for decades. But it just takes so much money to excel in FBS.

The old(er) timers can chime in, but I recall shortly after I arrived at TU in the 80's and started working in the AD I found deep in an old drawer a button that declared something like "TU - D 1-A Yes!" I asked about it and was told there was huge debate and controversy when Div I split in 1978 about which way TU should go. I found this old article about that split and find it fascinating that while some of the issues may seem quaint by today's standards, many of the same concerns are still being wrestled with today: https://vault.si.com/vault/1978/01/23/the-ncaa-splits-its-decision
Wake and Rice are in the same enrollment range as I recall.

Wake and Rice are in the same enrollment range as I recall.
At this size, small differences in enrollment become important. Wake Forest Enrollment 9k, Rice enrollment 8.5K, Tulsa enrollment 4.5k.*(approx)

Nope. Players gotta do what’s best for them. People leave their jobs all the time for more money. That’s just how this country works. Never gonna have issue with people getting paid.
That approach works in business but not for college athletics. If college athletes want to get the big bucks it should be from professional sports not the college game. Uncontrolled spending didn’t work in MLB or NFL and that is why they have team salary caps.

Schools are already shedding sports left and right going to minimum required or slightly above. The losses inlude wrestling, swimming and diving, gymnastics, golf, etc… Major state universities in “power” conferences are making these cuts, schools in other conferences already have made them and will cut further. If you don’t belief the impact of conference consolidation and NIL is causing reduction in scholarship opportunities for athletes then you are not paying attention. It is already happening.

College sports is a job. Don’t act like they’re here for an education. Lol
Did you play? I did and didn’t think it was a job. I thought it was something I enjoyed doing that paid for my education. It sure beat my summer jobs burning metal for oil storage tanks, pipeline work or hauling hay. Made me appreciate the career I was able to build with the education.

Do you sit out a year when you change jobs? Just because some fans get their feelings hurt, does a young person have to lose a year of their life?
Depends. Many executives have non-compete clauses that require they sit out for a period of time based on compensation received.

Reactions: drboobay
Did you play? I did and didn’t think it was a job. I thought it was something I enjoyed doing that paid for my education. It sure beat my summer jobs burning metal for oil storage tanks, pipeline work or hauling hay. Made me appreciate the career I was able to build with the education.
He's not even considering the entirety of the student/athletes. All he considers is the 4 & 5* athletes. The rest are unimportant to him.

Didn't get my feelings hurt at all, his decision impacts me zero, i dont think his game will translate very well to memphis, but i wish him the best. I don't want someone here that doesn't want to be here. For people thinking this is a job, you're part of the problem. If you want to earn money, go out in the workforce right out of high school, plenty of good trade jobs out there. Being an athlete is an extracurricular activity. Having a job is a necessity, playing a silly game is a privilege you get from a team that decides it wants to take a chance you. You act like their life expectancy just got shortened because they can't make up their mind where they want to go.

Reactions: TULSARISING
All Changes from my last list are in Bold.

Outgoing

NameYearPositionTeam LeavingTeam going to
Igor Milicic Jr.JuniorSFCharlotte
Dishon JacksonSophomoreCenterCharlotteIowa State
Jackson ThreadgillJuniorSGCharlotte
Daylen BerrySophomoreSGCharlotte
Iaroslav NiaguSophomoreCenterCharlotte
Sterling YoungJuniorPGCharlotte
Benjamin BayelaSeniorSGEast Carolina
Ta'Korrie FaisonFreshmanSFEast Carolina
Jaden WalkerJuniorSGEast Carolina
Bobby PettifordJuniorPGEast Carolina
Kalib LacountSophomorePGEast Carolina
Brandon JohnsonJuniorPFEast CarolinaMiami
Ezra AusarSophomorePFEast Carolina
Logan BourgeoisFreshmanPGEast Carolina
Valentino PinedoSophomoreSFEast Carolina
Nicholas BoydSophomorePGFlorida Atlantic
Vladislav GoldinJuniorCenterFlorida Atlantic
Giancarlo RosadoJuniorPFFlorida Atlantic
K’Jei ParkerFreshmanPGFlorida Atlantic
Johnell DavisJuniorPGFlorida Atlantic
Isaiah GainesJuniorPFFlorida Atlantic
Javonte TaylorFreshmanSFMemphis
Jayhlon YoungJuniorPGMemphis
Mikey WilliamsFreshmanPGMemphisUCF
Jonathan PierreJuniorSGMemphis
Carl CherenfantFreshmanSGMemphis
Ashton HardawayFreshmanSFMemphis
Jason EdwardsSophomorePGNorth Texas
Christian MooreSophomorePGNorth Texas
Chris MorganSophomorePFNorth Texas
Rubin JonesJuniorPGNorth Texas
Aaron ScottJuniorSGNorth Texas
John Buggs IIIJuniorPGNorth Texas
Cameron SheffieldJuniorSFRice
Keanu DawesFreshmanPFRice
Mekhi MasonSophomoreSGRiceWashington
Alem HuseinovicJuniorSGRice
Anthony SeldonJuniorSGRice
Andrew AkuchieSophomorePFRice
Camp WagnerFreshmanSGRice
Gabe WarrenFreshmanSGRice
Sam HinesJuniorSFSouth Florida
Gerald JonesSophomoreCenterSouth Florida
David OgunleyeJuniorPFSouth Florida
Selton MiguelJuniorSGSouth Florida
Taj ThweattJuniorSFTemple
Deuce RobertsFreshmanSGTemple
Emmanuel OkpomoJuniorCenterTemple
Hysier MillerJuniorPGTemple
Jahlil WhiteJuniorSGTemple
Max BowmanSophomorePGTulane
Kolby KingSophomorePGTulane
Mier PanoamFreshmanPGTulane
Chauncey GibsonFreshmanSGTulsaUT Arlington
Jared HallFreshmanSFTulsa
PJ HaggertyFreshmanPGTulsaMemphis
Carlous WilliamsJuniorSFTulsa
Barry DunningSophomoreSGUAB
Daniel OrtizJuniorPGUABNorth Alabama
James WhiteJuniorSGUAB
K. J. SatterfieldFreshmanSGUAB
Christian TuckerJuniorPGUTSA
Jordan Ivy-CurryJuniorPGUTSAVirginia Tech
Trey Edmonds IIIJuniorCenterUTSA
Chandler CuthrellJuniorPFUTSA
Massal DioufSophomorePFUTSA
Adante HolimanSophomorePGUTSA
Isaac AbiddeSophomorePFWichita State
Jalen RicksSophomoreSGWichita State
Kenny PohtoJuniorCenterWichita State
Colby RogersJuniorSGWichita State
Trevor McBrideFreshmanPGWichita State
Oklahoma Schools​
John HugleyJuniorPFOklahoma
Otega OwehSophomoreSGOklahoma
Javian McCollumJuniorPGOklahoma
Milos UzanSophomorePGOklahoma
Brandon GarrisonFreshmanCenterOklahoma State
Eric DaileyFreshmanSFOklahoma State
Naz BrownSophomorePGOklahoma State
Javon SmallJuniorPGOklahoma State
Quion WilliamsSophomoreSGOklahoma State
Cam AmboreeSophomorePGORU
Jailen BedfordJuniorSGORU
Trey PhippsJuniorPGORU
Demari WilliamsSophomoreSGORU
Isaac McBrideJuniorPGORU
Elijah LawrenceSophomorePGORU
Jake ShannonJuniorSGORU
Ashton SmithSophomorePFORU

Incoming players

NameYearPositionTeam LeavingTeam going to
Kylan BlackmonJuniorSGCoastal CarolinaCharlotte
Nae’Qwan TomlinJuniorPFKansas StateMemphis
Dain DainjaJuniorPFIllinoisMemphis

That lawsuit was about suing, indirectly, the Big 10 and Notre Dame, who some believed controlled television appearances through the NCAA, and therefore the relative size of every one’s budgets. You can make a convincing argument the events of the last three years have been an attempt to undo the consequences of the Big 10 losing that decision and return us to the status quo of 1957. No transfer rules. No scholarship limits, direct payments to players, Big 10 decides who is on TV and who isn’t.
That lawsuit was about GREED plain and simple and we live with its effects..

Reactions: HuffyCane
Some of you people think this is a job. It is not a job. They don’t have to sit out a year. They can go down to D2 or naia. They just shouldn’t be transferring to a D1. That’s how the rule had been. This “NIL” crap has gone too far. I believe that the player should be able to make money off their name, image and likeness. If the player expects the university or donor from the university to pay for them to play there then they should not be allowed to have a scholarship. If the university endorses it ad allows the donor to pay it then the university loses the scholarship altogether. The player will have to pay their own way through school
Soon my friend.. soon...

Till then.. let the kids change jobs like the rest of us.. if you are a great cook, you wouldnt go from Spago to McDonalds before you go to Bouchon Or the French Laundry

Didn't get my feelings hurt at all, his decision impacts me zero, i dont think his game will translate very well to memphis, but i wish him the best. I don't want someone here that doesn't want to be here. For people thinking this is a job, you're part of the problem. If you want to earn money, go out in the workforce right out of high school, plenty of good trade jobs out there. Being an athlete is an extracurricular activity. Having a job is a necessity, playing a silly game is a privilege you get from a team that decides it wants to take a chance you. You act like their life expectancy just got shortened because they can't make up their mind where they want to go.
Programs make $$$ off kids.. its a freaking job.. pay them

Depends. Many executives have non-compete clauses that require they sit out for a period of time based on compensation received.
But do they lose a year of eligibility in a limited time frame?... if you want them to sit out then make college careers open ended..

If they want a job - go pro! This is part of the problem, some have become convinced that athletics is their job rather than academics and gaining a degree! The purpose of the university is to educate students. If a player doesn’t want to go to school, wants to transfer randomly to chase $$$ and not make progress toward their education they shouldn’t be in college. The pro sports need to fund a real minor league system like baseball does. That is not the role of a university.

But do they lose a year of eligibility in a limited time frame?... if you want them to sit out then make college careers open ended..
If you have 5 years (can be 6 years for medical issues) to play 4 years and you transfer one time and have to sit out one year it is the same as a redshirt year. Now with the 4 game rule in football it is really playing 4 plus years. If a player doesn’t want to sit out then drop down a division or go to Juco. That system has worked for decades. It only changed because of greed.

Reactions: drboobay
If they want a job - go pro! This is part of the problem, some have become convinced that athletics is their job rather than academics and gaining a degree! The purpose of the university is to educate students. If a player doesn’t want to go to school, wants to transfer randomly to chase $$$ and not make progress toward their education they shouldn’t be in college. The pro sports need to fund a real minor league system like baseball does. That is not the role of a university.
While I don’t disagree but when universities pay head coaches in excess $5M a year and make in excess of $100M a year from football and basketball it’s the universities who first blurred the line between the role of student athletics and the business of college athletics. Let’s not throw all the shade at the kids. The colleges have played a significant role in this current mess

While I don’t disagree but when universities pay head coaches in excess $5M a year and make in excess of $100M a year from football and basketball it’s the universities who first blurred the line between the role of student athletics and the business of college athletics. Let’s not throw all the shade at the kids. The colleges have played a significant role in this current mess
That is the big issue , coaches make WAY too much to coach a freaking game , crap , Monty made over a million a year to be below average , same with Haith!

Let me use your words. While I don’t disagree with you, these colleges that bring in that kind of money give these student athletes professional facilities. They have chefs for athletics. They have their own dietitians making personalized meal plans. State of the art facilities for gyms, conference rooms and they do have to pay for the plan flights to and from these places. It’s not like they are riding greyhound. There is a lot of money to keep up with programs. Also those that make money have to help pay for those that don’t such as golf, soccer, volleyball ping pong. Etc. they are still students and their mamas have told them that they are pro material and their baby is not pro material and will never make the pros. Now what does he have? Nada. If you’re not going to attend the school and work towards a degree then you shouldn’t be in there. That is why I am for not allowing student athletes declare early. If you want to play pro ball then go play pro ball.

Most people involved in college athletics, especially the players, truly do not grasp, simply fail to understand, the cost and value of the infrastructure in place that is necessary for them to train and compete.

It’s not just free protein shakes and a nice weight room, it’s overhead to pay people to purchase and hand those shakes out and an endowment to maintain that weight room for the next 100 years.

In most cases, the schools could take the same amount of money and spend it on things like research that could lead to bigger profits than playing football. But because of alumni and community pressure, as well as the admissions benefit, they continue to sink money into the sport. And I’m glad they do.

This charade of paying kids 10 times their worth because virtual signalers in the media focus on gross earnings instead of net profits and ignore 100 years of deficit spending might be the end of this sport before they know it. There’s nothing stopping college football morphing into the USFL without the books. With the same level of public interest. And at a certain point, if it stops making sense for Tulsa to be a part of it, I will hope that happens.

This charade of paying kids 10 times their worth because virtual signalers in the media focus on gross earnings instead of net profits and ignore 100 years of deficit spending might be the end of this sport before they know it. There’s nothing stopping college football morphing into the USFL without the books. With the same level of public interest. And at a certain point, if it stops making sense for Tulsa to be a part of it, I will hope that happens.

Let's throw some shade at the clients that led the Universities to pay coaches 5M a year. Pay a universal fee that isn't based on merit on the field. Somewhere between 10-20k. If the athletes don't like it, then don't go to school, go directly to the pros. If it takes you a couple of four years to get a degree and show you belong in the pros, then it was worth it based on where you are when you enter the pros. Most people don't enter their first job at 600k a year. Getting a degree and being paid 15,000 to do it is no small affair. And they wouldn't even be set up to do it, if the college system for athletics didn't exist.

Let me use your words. While I don’t disagree with you, these colleges that bring in that kind of money give these student athletes professional facilities. They have chefs for athletics. They have their own dietitians making personalized meal plans. State of the art facilities for gyms, conference rooms and they do have to pay for the plan flights to and from these places. It’s not like they are riding greyhound. There is a lot of money to keep up with programs. Also those that make money have to help pay for those that don’t such as golf, soccer, volleyball ping pong. Etc. they are still students and their mamas have told them that they are pro material and their baby is not pro material and will never make the pros. Now what does he have? Nada. If you’re not going to attend the school and work towards a degree then you shouldn’t be in there. That is why I am for not allowing student athletes declare early. If you want to play pro ball then go play pro ball.
What you are describing is a professional business.. not an academic institution.. pay the kids 50%+ of the revenue ..

Reactions: T_Hans
Let's throw some shade at the clients that led the Universities to pay coaches 5M a year. Pay a universal fee that isn't based on merit on the field. Somewhere between 10-20k. If the athletes don't like it, then don't go to school, go directly to the pros. If it takes you a couple of four years to get a degree and show you belong in the pros, then it was worth it based on where you are when you enter the pros. Most people don't enter their first job at 600k a year. Getting a degree and being paid 15,000 to do it is no small affair. And they wouldn't even be set up to do it, if the college system for athletics didn't exist.
If the football world had a system for athletes to be paid out of HS like the MLB or NBA then this would be moot.. but the colleges make $$$$$$$$ of of kids with no other options.. so pony up the $$$ and quit worrying abot kids that change jobs..

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I find it so amusing that people who hold this view don't look at all the scholarship that have already disappeared, & those that will disappear in short order. Scholarships for other sports, scholarships in the main sports that won't be there in a few years, after the downsizing that this is going to cause. And what if it all goes downhill like Huffy was talking about.

What do you tell all those kids that were going to get a degree out of it, but now that opportunity isn't there. Those kids don't have the money to pay for school in a lot of instances. And it won't be any miniscule amount of kids each year. It will be in the 1000's. And schools like us will be out of athletics.

Just because a system builds something up to where it makes money, doesn't mean you have a right to demand 100's of thousands of dollars a year. Greed built it up to this, and greed will kill it. Then there will be a few rich kids that haven't squandered their money, and a hull of the organization that made this entity, with a whole bunch less people making money and getting educated.

Last edited:
You have to have limits in any system. Tell them they get one free transfer, and one more with a year of sitting out for the second. Tell them that a redshirt year cancels out one of their allowed transfers, and give them 4 years of playing time. That way they play four years, and can take 6 years to do it, similar to what has been going on with covid. That way there isn't 30 year olds playing college sports.

Reactions: TULSARISING
What you are describing is a professional business.. not an academic institution.. pay the kids 50%+ of the revenue ..
So should the kid getting the Economic degree get paid part of that money? How about the janitor, how about the medical staff? How about the lunch lady? No!? Ok let’s just stick to sports. Should the kid playing golf or the ladies on the rowing team get this money even though their sport loses money for the university? All universities are for profit business. The students are not contractors at the university as they can leave at anytime without having to pay a penalty for breech of contract or being sued for such act. They are students. They don’t work for a company. I don’t understand how this hasn’t gotten through to some of you. If the university doesn’t make this money they can’t provide transportation. I went to school at Mary Washington, I am sure they do the same at TU, the students tuition went up when the need for the athletes went up. The paying students were suffering the load for these people getting full scholarships. So the kid who never goes to a game and can’t play a sport is held responsible for paying this fee. Is this fair to him or her?

Last thing on this before I go on vacation. Just like your daddy Joe didn’t give out free money and all of these student loans were not wiped out out of his pocket. It is those of us who did the right thing who are now paying for Buffy’s under water basket weaving degree. Or turnips gender studies degree. You know those degrees that cost 60 grand so you can pay a player who is a student at the school. We are paying that not them, we are. So FOH with this pay them 50 percent BS

With all the portal garbage maybe universities should put a future earnings clause in the scholly.

If you stay the entire time before going pro the university gets 3% of all future profession earnings from contracts related to the sport. The earlier you the portal the higher % of future earnings.

A lot of this could have been prevented if the pro leagues had allowed players to be drafted directly out of high school.

I’m to the point that I would rather see this all become the English football system. Divorce the athletic programs from the academic institutions. Make athletes pay full cost of attendance if they want to go to school. Academic scholarships will still be available to those who merit them. Unfortunately for the 2nd string tight end playing for the third tier of professional football who never studied… they won’t make much money or get a scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT