ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Not debating the truth of your comments at all. I think my point is closer to “This is not sustainable. Something has got to change.”

What college sports leadership needs to understand is that there are two categories of fans that they are serving:
- Casual fans are buying entertainment.
- Committed fans are buying hope. Hope that this year we’ll win the conference/make the tourney/get to the playoff/etc.

If the majority of committed fans from the majority of DI schools that don’t have mega-$$$ feel like it’s pointless to keep hoping, then they will slowly morph into casual fans. And that will not be good for anyone involved.

Incidentally, the reason worldwide soccer leagues have such fanatical fanbases (at all levels, not just the top flight) partly has to do with hope. Every team has “hope” pretty much all season long, every season.
- Hope we get promoted.
- Hope we don’t get relegated.
- Hope we qualify for the Champions League/Europa/Cup.
- Hope we make the knockout rounds.
- Hope we win the title.

Contrast that with the KC Royals. Their season is usually effectively over about 20% of the way through the year. And what is left to hope for? That we don’t finish in last place? (There’s no punishment if we do! Actually get rewarded with better draft picks!)
1000% Agree!

2024 Transfer Portal

And this is because the NILs and schools haven't started playing the game to give them some leverage in this insanity. Schools in so called lesser conferences need to even the game up somehow and this is the way to do it. The players are certainly signing some sort of NIL contract/agreement, so now it's time to add some teeth to it. Here's the thing, most of these NIL deals are just booster payments directly to the player with no services being provided. You've had a few sign lucrative NIL deals where the player actually had their names/likenesses used in ads for the companies paying them. Caleb Williams and Wendy's, Caitlin Clark and State Farm. That was more the whole point...that and EA being able to bring back their NCAA games, schools being able to market jerseys with actual player numbers on them, players being able to go to card and memorabilia shows and signing things for $$ and appearance fees. Ed O'Bannon started this, Jeremy Bloom quit playing college football because the NCAA said he couldn't take money for being one of the best trick and stunt skiers in history despite the fact that it had no bearing on his status as an amateur football player (do you all remember how freaking fast this kid was?)

The NIL thing went way the opposite direction and combined with the stupidity that is the transfer portal, you've basically got college free agency by the day, not even the year. And as long as the courts are going to treat college athletes like their pro athletes, then it's time for the collectives and schools to treat them as such to with employment agreements/contracts they must sign. Screw LOIs anymore, they haven't meant anything in years. They wanted the freedom to move like coaches do, well then they can sign on for buyout clauses as well. A place like TU should include the cost of the NIL, the cost of training, gear, tuition, etc. plus remaining lost years as part of the buyout. If Texas wants PJ that bad, let them pony up $300k as the buyout.
In soccer that’s called a “sale on” clause and it’s inevitable in college sports.

2024 Transfer Portal

Not debating the truth of your comments at all. I think my point is closer to “This is not sustainable. Something has got to change.”

What college sports leadership needs to understand is that there are two categories of fans that they are serving:
- Committed fans are buying hope. Hope that this year we’ll win the conference/make the tourney/get to the playoff/etc.

If the majority of committed fans from the majority of DI schools that don’t have mega-$$$ feel like it’s pointless to keep hoping, then they will slowly morph into casual fans. And that will not be good for anyone involved.

Incidentally, the reason worldwide soccer leagues have such fanatical fanbases (at all levels, not just the top flight) partly has to do with hope. Every team has “hope” pretty much all season long, every season.
- Hope we get promoted.
- Hope we win the title.

Contrast that with the KC Royals. Their season is usually effectively over about 20% of the way through the year. And what is left to hope for? That we don’t finish in last place? (There’s no punishment if we do! Actually get rewarded with better draft picks!)
Yes, this is not sustainable for Tulsa. We don't have a large enough fan base that truly cares that can give enough money to keep the best players at Tulsa and away from the schools with huge NIL money.
Now, if the few supporters that have enough mega millions are going to donate large dollars to our NIL program, that would change things and I would probably donate to NIL.
For now, I renewed my Champions pledge with a 10% increase.

Regarding your Royals comment. Our staring pitching is the best in MLB through 5 games, lol.
Wasn't surprised the Stadium proposal failed last night.
Sherman is hell bent on getting a new stadium.

2024 Transfer Portal

I see several donors on here that are still hesitant in contributing to NIL. This is now the ONLY way our basketball team will continue to exist at least how you wish it to exist. Other schools who have plenty of NIL donors will be taking those top 4 spots in the league for a long time if we don’t attempt to compete with them. I contribute to the Champions fund too, but it does nothing to help retain our best players.

- Hope we get promoted.
- Hope we win the title.

Reactions: drboobay

TU Giving Day

Duplicate to my post on the BB board:

Interesting to see a significant number of our current athletes actually donating to the Case funds! Some give a dollar others $15-$30. From star players to non-scholarship players. I actually was very impressed reviewing the donor list.
So there was a campaign for a match of $5000 for 1000 donors or something like that. I know as of 2:30 yesterday they were at 778 or something like that.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT