ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

I’ve been to that complex a handful of times. Worst I’ve seen. Hoping we never play there again.

We gave up a 35 yard free kick in stoppage time against Albion for a 1-1 tie. Felt like a loss. We controlled the game and have to settle for a tie on a 35 yard free kick which bounced at the 6 yard box. We won Sunday against Challenge 3-0 but didn’t make up for the disappointment on Saturday.

Really tough weekend upcoming. Sting on Saturday and FC Dallas on Sunday. Team is battling through some injuries right now. Need to find the net this weekend.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I was an AR on a U16 game last night...BA Express 2007 vs TSC 07/08. Really interesting vibe to this game, which ended after 20 minutes of play. Express had some good talent up top and threatened several times. About 25 min into the 1st half, Express player on the opposite sideline from me goes down, ref plays on, ball gets cleared up the sideline. Ref takes off after the play...I'm holding my line with the last TSC defender...Express player who went down runs past him and throws a punch thinking no one is watching (it was 40 yds behind the play). I signal the ref, tell him what I saw. Straight red. Not only did I see the punch, I heard it connect. Express coach says if the red isn't rescinded his team is walking from the game and abandoning the match. Red sticks, they forfeit.

The kid that got the red card was the same kid in the Blitz Tourney final vs my son's team...I had no idea until the kid's dad came up yelling at me and the 06 Express coach basically accused me of targeting the kid. Again, I had ZERO idea until they brought it up...why do I have any reason to expect that a kid playing in an 06 game is the same kid playing in an 07 game? On top of that, this Express team was short 2 regular players who had been given red cards this past weekend in a league game vs Union SC...for fighting and serious foul play. So, you have 3 red cards for serious foul play in 2 games, and one of the kids is a repeat offender for serious foul play in a previous tournament (reds dont' carry over from different platforms of play...maybe they should)...and the refs are at fault? That was what the coach was implying.

Ironically, I received my game assignments for this weekend and I was assigned to this Express team's game on Saturday. I've let the assignor know it might be best to move me from that game. Such BS.

I’m a firm believer that the coach should carry some responsibility when his/her players consistently get red cards. The culture on the team starts and stops with its head coach. Unfortunately, that coach will continue to coach and his players will continue to place others in dangerous positions. Nice job on standing your ground. No place for that type of behavior in youth soccer.

I’m a firm believer that the coach should carry some responsibility when his/her players consistently get red cards. The culture on the team starts and stops with its head coach. Unfortunately, that coach will continue to coach and his players will continue to place others in dangerous positions. Nice job on standing your ground. No place for that type of behavior in youth soccer.
For this type of play, for sure. Maybe if you have a kid sent off with a straight red for fighting (or the language another recent red carded player used towards another player), the coach should also be subject to the same penalties, remainder of that game plus the next (or any additional suspension the player is subject to). Worse yet is the way this seems to be pervasive in the BA Express kids. Not sure if these kids play with an extra chip on their shoulders because most of them are rec players suddenly thrust into a highly competitive platform against kids who have been playing at that level for many years. Like I said earlier, this Express team actually looked like a competitive level team so I'm not sure where this dirty play is borne from in them but it is certainly consistent among the older age groups.

For this type of play, for sure. Maybe if you have a kid sent off with a straight red for fighting (or the language another recent red carded player used towards another player), the coach should also be subject to the same penalties, remainder of that game plus the next (or any additional suspension the player is subject to). Worse yet is the way this seems to be pervasive in the BA Express kids. Not sure if these kids play with an extra chip on their shoulders because most of them are rec players suddenly thrust into a highly competitive platform against kids who have been playing at that level for many years. Like I said earlier, this Express team actually looked like a competitive level team so I'm not sure where this dirty play is borne from in them but it is certainly consistent among the older age groups.
I've played on a team, where one older kid's nasty attitude led to two or three others following the leader. The other kids would have never done anything if that one kid had not been on the team. The coach was weak in discipline and I think scared of the kid. The coach should tell his team right from the first incident, that the next punch thrown will get any player thrown off the team. Then he/she should carry thru with that.

My daughter got into a fight in indoor last winter. Girl fouled her, slapped her across the face, and said “do you want to go”. It got crazy from that point. Never knew my girl could fight like that.

My daughter got into a fight in indoor last winter. Girl fouled her, slapped her across the face, and said “do you want to go”. It got crazy from that point. Never knew my girl could fight like that.
That's retaliation, I'm talking bout the first punch. That would lead to a different analysis of the event.

I've played on a team, where one older kid's nasty attitude led to two or three others following the leader. The other kids would have never done anything if that one kid had not been on the team. The coach was weak in discipline and I think scared of the kid. The coach should tell his team right from the first incident, that the next punch thrown will get any player thrown off the team. Then he/she should carry thru with that.
I'm legit worried about the game on Saturday as I expect this BA team to be frustrated as the team they are playing is a pretty good mostly-Hispanic team from OKC. And knowing these kids have a habit of questionable tactics behind the play...

I just hate the coach has taught these kids that when you have adversity, blame someone else and quit. I am pretty sure he will have them riled up that the game won't be fair as soon as they see me coming towards the field. My son is also on this game with me along with a very capable veteran ref in the center.

I'm legit worried about the game on Saturday as I expect this BA team to be frustrated as the team they are playing is a pretty good mostly-Hispanic team from OKC. And knowing these kids have a habit of questionable tactics behind the play...

I just hate the coach has taught these kids that when you have adversity, blame someone else and quit. I am pretty sure he will have them riled up that the game won't be fair as soon as they see me coming towards the field. My son is also on this game with me along with a very capable veteran ref in the center.
Good luck. Fortunately, it sounds like the refs for the game will be adults

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Good luck. Fortunately, it sounds like the refs for the game will be adults
My son is 16. He was part of the game 2 weeks ago that 3 reds were shown. He was run into several times coming off his line and securing the ball. I'm sure some of the parents will recognize him and automatically think we're out to target them...It's even ridiculous that I have to think this way. Right now I'm trying to figure out where he will be safest...on the parents' sideline or on the team side.

My son is 16. He was part of the game 2 weeks ago that 3 reds were shown. He was run into several times coming off his line and securing the ball. I'm sure some of the parents will recognize him and automatically think we're out to target them...It's even ridiculous that I have to think this way. Right now I'm trying to figure out where he will be safest...on the parents' sideline or on the team side.
I would put him on the team sideline. I know the coach is a jackass but I would not subject him to the parents. You could even switch him at half. First have in front of the parents of the other team and second half in front of the other team’s bench. Assume this could be done?

I would put him on the team sideline. I know the coach is a jackass but I would not subject him to the parents. You could even switch him at half. First have in front of the parents of the other team and second half in front of the other team’s bench. Assume this could be done?
No, that would be a serious no-no. The idea is you get a half with each team's action instead of only being clued into one team and their tendency to be offside or shenanigans behind the play. Now it would probably only be a real issue if the 2 guys associated with BA Express are on the sideline as well who are not the actual coaches of this team. (One is a games coordinator for the Express, the other is the coach of the 06 team (who would definitely recognize him). I might mention this to the center referee and we can make sure that individuals not listed as coaches on the game card shouldn't be in the technical area.

Reactions: lawpoke87
ECNL games cancelled this past weekend for U13s. Did you and your kiddo ref the BA street rules game ?

ECNL games cancelled this past weekend for U13s. Did you and your kiddo ref the BA street rules game ?
No, we got moved to a U9 boys rec match. I think I would have rather called the Express game and dealt with the ire of the parents/coach. I got to watch the 2nd half. Game was not close at all. NWO Aztecas pretty much hammered them. In the few minutes I watched, they scored 3 times and the BA team maybe crossed midfield with possession twice.

I did get to center a U12 rec girls match and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of play. One team was extremely technical with the ball, really nice spacing and movement and passed really well, just lacked the quality finishing. Their GK was also really good. The other team had some big athletic girls who were able to hold the ball and push some attack. They weren't quite as technical but they did pass the ball fairly well. If the other team could get a quality shot on goal, the difference in the game would have been the 2nd team's lack of a trained goalkeeper. She caused 2 indirect free kicks in her penalty area because she didn't know the rules. First one she was messing with the ball, went to punt and dropped it on the ground and then picked it back up. That's a 100% no-no. 2nd one is off a goal kick, she puts the ball down and touches the ball to a stop, touches it to play it, and then decides to dribble to the other side of the box. That's a no-no as well. The other team couldn't take advantage of either. Game ended in 1-1 draw but it was a fun game to ref because of the better quality. I think it was also the deciding game in who won that bracket's Fall season. As we were getting to the last couple of minutes the parents started ramping up their intensity as well as the coaches. I had a delayed foul call to see if an advantage was going to be had by the fouled team and when it didn't I pulled it back to the original spot of the foul...maybe 3-4 seconds had elapsed. Coach goes bonkers and I explain it. He seemed fine. Other coaches were upset that what could have been the winning goal was ruled offside. AR was right on top of things and from my angle (behind maybe 8 yards away, the best I could come up with was it was really tight. AR explained to me after that the defender had stepped to the ball just before the pass was released and the forward hadn't made it back yet. No way I was over ruling her in that one. Actually both the ARs did a nice job in that one as well.

Nice job having ARs for a girls u12 rec game.
BASC does a good job with making sure as many games have a full complement of refs as possible. Their philosophy is if offside is being called there will be ARs assigned to the game. Even the U9 game had a center and 2 ARs even though offside at that age level is only called beyond the build out line. It is a good training ground for young officials. Last year during the Blitz Spring tournament, I did some U12 games and some U9/U10 games by myself. And I got yelled out for not calling a player offside because there was no way to tell for sure. Long ball played over the top, build out line was gone from all the rain, there was no way... I do appreciate BASC trying to make sure all games have a full complement of refs.

Should be a very competitive TSC tourney for us. Playing up a year against:

Solar 09 RL
FC Dallas 09 RL
Fuerza 09 ECNL

No easy games this weekend.

Should be a very competitive TSC tourney for us. Playing up a year against:

Solar 09 RL
FC Dallas 09 RL
Fuerza 09 ECNL

No easy games this weekend.
Good luck. I am awaiting game assignments for the weekend. I know I'll have to bail on Saturday afternoon 11a-1pm as my son has an OPL game at that time. And I'm going to avoid doing any games later on Sunday so I can go to the TU men's soccer game. I did 8 games in last week's BASC rec tournament, although they did have a large number of competitive teams as part of the tournament. I did a semifinal at 11:30am on Sunday between a Metro Tulse rec+ team and an Enid competitive team. I also had no ARs in this one. And it was a hot mess. MTSC scored first...really nice goal. Enid had a better attack and passing but couldn't break through. In the 1st half I waved a goal off that they scored because it was an indirect free kick (dangerous play, no contact) and they shot directly on goal and keeper didn't touch it. Enid coaches hated that. Enid players were also very handsy. Their hands were all over the place...several hand balls throughout the match...more to come later on that. After half, Enid came out and tied it on a nice play and goal. They then thought they took the lead after a corner, but after a couple of touched, the MTSC GK came off his line to try to secure the ball but the ball was played away by Enid to another player standing maybe a yard off the goal line in front of an open net. He taps it in. Problem is...he was offside by 2-3 yards all because they keeper wandered away from the goal line. Coach was pissed and kept hollering about them having a player on the post from the corner kick. Sure that's fine, but there wasn't a 2nd defender back far enough to keep his player onside. MTSC scores a 2nd goal and Enid grabs another with about 5 minutes left. We go Extra Time. Apparently, FIFA and US Soccer have offered guidance that if extra time is to be played it should be without a golden goal scenario. So we played 2 extra periods of 5 minutes each. Enid scored in the 1st one. We play the 2nd one and there are almost no chances. MTSC gets a late free kick for another Enid hand ball...ball goes in, keeper makes the save but doesn't secure the rebound...my watch goes off for everyone in the complex to hear, and I allow the play to finish out...which ended up in an Enid handball in the box as a kid does the Maradona hand of God on it...which was stupid because the ball had come off the foot of one of his teammates trying to clear the ball. I call for the PK...the Enid coaches are hacked...not because of the handball call but because I allowed 10 extra seconds of play. Whatever.

Go to PKs. I've never been the center ref (Or even an AR) as part of PK. There's a lot to administer during this process. Enid coaches bitch because MTSC switched GKs for the shootout...but the kid now playing goal was on the field at the end of the game and was also listed as a shooter...so there's not a problem at all. 3rd PK taker for Enid hits a high shot down the middle that the MTSC GK gets a hand on, hits the underside of the bar, and comes down in front of the line and rolls away from goal. Parents and coaches are screaming that it hit the net. I was standing right there and it was clear it was never in the goal/completely over the line. They also missed their next shot and MTSC hit their 4th shot and won 4-2 in PKs. Because it was a tournament...I simply left the field. Too many over-emotional people...I didn't have to get any signatures.

Thankfully my last game was a U12 girls consolation match. The girls were seriously out there to have fun and they did. If one of them knocked another player over, they helped them up and said sorry. It was such a different atmosphere. It was also interesting to see the many differences in 11 year old girls. Some looked like 5 year olds and there was one who was over 6 ft tall.

My son also played in an EA game on Sunday afternoon vs Kansas Rush. Good, well trained team. No score in the 1st half. My son played the 2nd half and the Rush team decided to find their range on goal. 1st goal against came off a free kick just outside the box. My son made the initial save but his teammates didn't react the rebound. 2nd goal came off another free kick and no one decided to pick up 2 players on the back side. My son had no chance on this one. 3rd goal...a bit unfortunate. Foul whistled in the box so there is a PK against my son. He guesses to his right and the kid hammers the shot down the middle. My son saw it and dragged his back foot and kept the ball out...but again, his teammates were caught flat footed and the rebound was tapped in. Not much else he could do. His team scored almost immediately after the 1st goal on a PK. Perhaps one of the best PKs I've ever seen taken. It was hammed low and just inside the right post (looking at goal). Keeper went the right way but wasn't close.

Next meaningful games for the EA side is at the EA Showcase in Florida Dec. 1-4. At least I can look forward to watching some soccer without having to wear a winter coat.

Have you relaxed your definition of a hand ball this year similar to that of the top leagues around the world (at least the premier league)? Personally, I really like the change. If your hand is down in a natural defending position and the ball happens to hit it I always thought awarding a PK was harsh. My kid is a CB so I’m a bit biased :).

Have you relaxed your definition of a hand ball this year similar to that of the top leagues around the world (at least the premier league)? Personally, I really like the change. If your hand is down in a natural defending position and the ball happens to hit it I always thought awarding a PK was harsh. My kid is a CB so I’m a bit biased :).
I have always tried to use is it ball to hand or hand to ball AND even if it is ball to hand, is the hand in a position that prevents that alters the outcome of the play. Essentially, if the hand is away from the body to the point where it prevents the played ball getting through to the intended target, I tend to call it. This kid's hand was over his head, so not a natural position by any means. He was called for 2 previous hand balls where his arms were out away from his body and impacted the course of play (in basketball officiating terms, he clearly created an advantage for himself). I tend to not call it if the ball hits a kids hands inside the framework of his/her body meaning the ball was going to hit their chest if their hands weren't brought up in a reactionary manner.

And I won't claim to get every one right. Different perspectives and certainly will be different opinions depending on whether or not the call went in your favor or against. My biggest issue is how technical should I be when handing out cards for certain plays and is there wiggle room depending on the age group and competition level? I was AR on a game on Saturday where there was a free kick from outside the box and the defending team put every player on the goal line. Kick comes in, is clearly going in the goal and a defender reaches up and volleyball's the ball away. Center calls for a PK. Law clearly calls for a red card for an intentional DOGSO handball in the box. It's a U12 rec girls game. So, do you show a yellow or are you black and white and red card the girl? BTW, the PK was missed badly and the game ended in a tie. Same thing in this boys game on Sunday. Dangerous play via high kick, catches a kid in the ear. I show a yellow to the player for the dangerous play (w/ contact). At a higher age group and competition level, it's probably a red card (and I've seen said red cards in EPL and MLS for similar plays). And this is where I need to ask some referees who have been doing this far longer than I have how they decide on those matters or is it more black and white with them according to the laws?

Great question. I’m only a soccer parent but I would take age into account. If a player reaches up and intentionally deflects a ball in the box in a U12 girls rec game I probably issue a yellow and talk to the girl. If that occurs in a gold level pre-ecnl U12 game I likely throw the red. So much discretion in officiating soccer.

So I did my recertification for 2023 on Wednesday and the majority of the rule updates AND situation updates centered on handballs and when to warn/caution/send off coaches and team personnel on the sideline for their behavior and FIFA/IFAB's guidance on the latter is extremely unforgiving. Like most games I would do as a center would have one or both coaches in a game getting a yellow at some point. That said, it is something that is sorely needed and coaches/managers need to do a better job. Jason Kelce had a great quote after the Eagles lost to Washington on Monday. Apparently a reporter asked him if he felt the missed face mask call had a hand in them losing the game and Kelce's response was "We had so many opportunities to win that game that we didn't take care of....That wasn't a facemask. Why? Because they didn't throw the flag! It's a loser's mentality to put the loss on somebody else...it really bothers me when people put it on the officials." YEP

On the handball situations...there were a number of scenarios we had to work through. One of the most telling and important ones was regarding even if the arm/hand is in a natural position for the movement of the player with no intentional movement of the hand towards the ball, did the movement result in the arm/hand in such a position that it makes the player unnaturally bigger when the ball strikes the hand. Such a key point.

7 game assignments this weekend, 6 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday (as of right now). First game Saturday is at 7:45am as a 4th official (pretty sure I'll get moved to an AR slot somewhere as there will be refs who turn down an assignment that early when it is forecast to be 25 degrees. All of the games are at Mohawk and are U16 or above as of right now. I have a 4 hr beak mid day to go watch my son in his game.

So 3 games as part of the EA Winter National Showcase in Lakewood Ranch, FL this past weekend. (Lakewood Ranch is just outside of Bradenton/Sarasota). Nice all grass complex, really well run and organized event.
My son's team went 2-1 against teams from Grand Rapids, MI (4-2 L), Wasatch SC (UTAH, 5-2W), and 974 FC (LIbertyville, IL, 2-0 W). My won split the time in goal in the 1st game, played the field the 2nd game, and played the entire 3rd game in goal. The team from MI were snipers as all 4 goals were just inside the far post. My son gave up 3 in the 2nd half of that one...1st one, hard low shot that ticked the inside of the post and in. 2nd was another low hard shot after a corner and the kid jumped on the attempted clearance and hit a ball that went in just inside of the post. My son never saw it as it somehow went through about 10 bodies in front. Last shot was a rocket that nestled upper 90 far post. The goal against the other keeper was also a low rocket just inside the far post. There's a reason why coaches say shoot to the far post.

2nd game- the team from Utah looked like the 90s Utah basketball team and if I had seen a roster my guess is at least 8 of the players had the last name of Andersen. They were big but they were slow and they couldn't handle Blitz's front line. My son played in the field about 15 minutes as there were kids dropping from cramps and what not (it was low 80s all weekend and the Blitz boys hadn't played a meaningful game in 3 weeks and had not trained much since that last outing...conditioning was a real issue). 30 seconds after coming on, he helped set up a goal for Blitz. The 2 goals against were meh. Blitz looked really tired and slow the 2nd half after building a 3-0 lead. 1st GA was one that could have been avoided had the GK come off his line...he hesitated and then couldn't get out in time to take the angle and shot away. 2nd was off a corner and some more GK indecision.

3rd game, my son got the entire game in goal as the coach promised the 2 keepers equal time since it was a showcase and laid out the plan to split the time. His team really controlled play for the most part but would give up some breaks over the top as defenders got greedy in moving forward and losing their marks. One was an excellent chance that my son challenged, got his finger tips on just enough to push it on the bar. Kid from IL missed a wide open net on the rebound. That was early 1st half and probably the best scoring chance that team had. 0-0 at break. Blitz comes out 2nd half and turns the screws on the press and forced a few defensive 1/3 turnovers that turned into good chances. Finally cashed one in from about 25 yards (IL Gk was not very athletic and was pretty indecisive on coming out and in distribution...he might have been a year or 2 younger but available to travel this weekend). Ball hits the underside of the bar and in. AR called it right away....their coach lost his mind and the ref (who was an absolute clown) after conferring with the AR, made the VAR sign and pointed to the center to indicate a goal. Um, there was no video review why are you making that gesture.). My son made a couple of comfortable saves, one from about 45 yds where the kid hit a free kick and it was one of those low dipping, curving shots that skipped right in front of the GK. It could have been trouble...and my son was able to handle it cleanly. Blitz added a 2nd goal on a tremendous pass from a defender, who used the outside of his right foot to put the ball into the top of the box for the cutting winger who slotted it past the keeper for 2-0. This is when the ref becomes a major clown. 5 yellow cards for Blitz for time wasting. One of them may be warranted but the kid played the ball away after the whistle was blown but no one could hear the whistle. As a ref, blow the damn whistle like you mean it...players 2 fields over should be able to hear it. One was given when the other team played the ball over the touchline for a Blitz throw and the Blitz player nearest the ball didn't go to pick it up. He is a forward and doesn't take throws...ever and he left the ball for the fullback who was coming up to take the throw. Ref started arguing with players on the field too. He warned my son about wasting time on a goal kick. He placed the ball down to take it, looked initially to want to go short, saw the other team pressing high, and asked his players to move up and centrally for the goal kick and then waited a 3-4 seconds to allow them to push upfield. Anyway, game ends. Other team's coach comes on the field and just blasts the ref. 1st about the initial goal given and then about a challenge my son made in the box where he went down lengthwise to take a shot away and the opposing player hit a bad touch that went 10 yds wide of goal...and then the player took a dive. Like my son said, he just went down wide, didn't come out feet first at all and didn't do anything unnatural to impede the player. Coach then blasted about another foul called on his player in the attacking box after a defender shielded him enough to allow my son to come out and scoop the ball up. Attacked just gave a forearm shiver to the back.

All in all a good weekend. I thought it was just a showcase to get the kids some exposure. Apparently, the games actually count for EA national rankings points and with the 2 wins and the current league record, there is a good chance my son's team will qualify for the national playoffs next summer.

My son was just selected for an EA Regional ID event down in Ft. Worth in January. He was one of 5 from Blitz selected. This ought to be fun.

My son was just selected for an EA Regional ID event down in Ft. Worth in January. He was one of 5 from Blitz selected. This ought to be fun.
Congrats. Huge honor for your son. Is he wanting to play in college ?

Congrats. Huge honor for your son. Is he wanting to play in college ?
He would like to but it's not the driver as to where he chooses to go to college. He really wants to major in electrical engineering with a focus on robotics. His list of schools contains MIT, Worcester Polytech, and Carnegie Mellon...I'm gonna have to ref a whole lot more soccer games

He would like to but it's not the driver as to where he chooses to go to college. He really wants to major in electrical engineering with a focus on robotics. His list of schools contains MIT, Worcester Polytech, and Carnegie Mellon...I'm gonna have to ref a whole lot more soccer games
My friend’s daughter had softball offers from Columbia, Brown, and Memphis among a few others. She chose Memphis because she wanted to play the highest level she could. I give him crap about the decision every time we talk.

Son had 2 games this weekend in OPL play. Played at Ponca City on Saturday. 4-1 win. My son made a couple nice saves and 1 fantastic save on a breakaway. The line goal against came on a PK. Legit call but the foul was unnecessary. Best part of this game was coming back through Pawhuska and picking up some Bad Brad's BBQ.

2nd game today was vs Union Soccer Club (Tulsa Nationals). 5-3 win. My son played the 1st half in goal and didn't concede any. It was 0-0 when he came out. He made a couple decent saves and snared a corner up high. He was frustrating the other team because he was quick off his linens really took away their game of trying to send the ball over the top. He did have a really nice save on a break away that ended up pinballing around the box and fell to an attacker and my son took it off his foot.

2nd half was fireworks. Union SC scored the opener on a fluke when the GK came out and the ball got tipped past him by his defender. Blitz scored the next 4 including one by my son off a free kick where he curled a low shot around the wall to the near post. He was also the player who got fouled. Blitz GK then butchered a high ball which should have been caught but he spilled it and it got tapped in. 4-2 at this point and apparently my son's coach told him if they concede another goal he was going back in net. GK concedes another questionable goal to bring it to 4-3 and my son goes back in. His team almost immediately scored a 5th to go up 5-3 and Union never really threatened again.

Interesting...that's the 04/05 team at WSA. My son plays with Erik Villalobos (quoted in the article) at Union. They've been a good team but Super Y isn't the highest level of competition. It would be interesting to see how that team would fare against TSC's 04/05 ECNL side or Blitz's 04/05 EA side (both those teams are excellent). None of the 3 will ever play the other in any league game and they usually duck each other at tournaments

Son had an OPL game on Saturday vs BA Express, same team they played a couple months ago which saw a total of 3 red cards in a tournament final. Tied 1-1. I asked the AR (who I knew) if they had been given some "game notes" and he said "Yeah. We know these teams have a history".

Right after the game we headed to Ft. Worth for the EA Midwest Talent ID. My son was 1 of 3 '06 GKs there (2 from Blitz). Pretty good day. He was disappointed because the coaches didn't do much with the GKs or offer feedback at all. He did get a brand new Capelli GK kit out of the day though. He did get to be part of a scrimmage team that did use the GK a lot to play out of the back and they enjoyed some long stretches of possession with the ball because of that. I think that he has shown some good growth in that area of his game as well and I think it was noticed this weekend. Unfortunately his Blitz teams do not play that way at all...

The 06 EA team has an OPL game tonight against the 05 EA team at Blitz up at Rogers St. They're also go to Kansas City for a game on Saturday vs Kansas Rush. Waiting to see if they're going to bring 2 GKs for that one ...no need to make a 4 hr drive if he's not going to play at all.

Last edited:
So the 06s lost to the 05s 6-0 last night. My son played the 1st half and conceded 2 goals. First came off a nice through ball that sent a kid in, my son came out to challenge and got chipped. It was, as the Brits say, a cheeky finish. 2nd goal was on a PK. The foul was soft, and the ref let it go at first and after my son made a really good save from a shot at the 6, ref decides to call the foul...probably 4-5 seconds went by from the "foul" to the time he decided to blow the whistle. My son made 3-4 more really good saves in the half and actually had some distributions to send his team away on chances. One was a 40 yd throw to the wing which caught the 05s off guard. Overall my son played well but was frustrated as he was trying to get his team to play out of the back and they would turn the ball over or just hammer it up field.

2nd half, the 06s conceded 4. I think 2 may have been stoppable if the GK was decisive about coming off his line on thru balls.

Still up in the air about Saturday. Coach told my son he wants him there but can't guarantee any playing time. I've left it up to my son. I think it's crappy to have a kid (more his parents) drive for 4 hours for a single game and he ends up sitting the bench. On top of that the game is at a time where I won't want to drive back after the game so that means a hotel in KC for the night. On the other hand, there is something to be said about showing up and playing your role, no matter what that means for that game.

Slow month. Last week my son went to KC with the EA side. Didn't get in the game...that's a different story. His EA team did win 3-2...which was impressive because this Kansas Rush team was 7-0 between their Midwest Conference games and their 3 national showcase games with a 31 GF vs 3 GA in those games. Blitz EA played a hard fought game with more focus on D. I will say the goalkeeping on both sides was questionable in terms of focus and decision making. Not sure what the Kansas GK was thinking half the time.

Yesterday we went to the OKC suburb of Yukon which might as well have been in the Yukon Territories. Played the OK Rangers (not an EA game). My son gave up 1 goal in the 1st half on something he felt he should have held vs trying to parry away. His distribution was good and he was really aggressive coming off his line as the other team tried to play a lot of balls over the top. Team eventually lost 3-0 (scored 2 against the other GK). Only a few more league games left for these two teams, a lot coming in the next 2 weeks.
EA is still scheduled to go to Arizona for an EA Showcase March 24-26...that same weekend Union is scheduled to be in Gatlinburg, TN for a HS tournament...my son is leaning towards going to the EA showcase because he knows he will play whereas, he is the backup for Union varsity and the head coach doesn't like subbing his starter off for any reason other than injury or yellow card. (I've only seen this kid come off 2-3 times for a yellow card). Also, his Blitz premiere team is scheduled to go to St. Louis in April (1st time he will get to play in St. L and have some family there see him play).

Also in March, over Spring break, he will be visiting MIT and meeting with the soccer coach there.

3 games in Tucson over the weekend as part of an EA Showcase. Played at the Kino Sports Complex...this place was primo. Natural grass, believe it was rye, nice and green. It actually may have been too long as the ball was slow and all these kids playing on turf everywhere had no idea how to weight their passes. Blitz lost their 1st game 3-1 to a team from Murrietta, CA. My son played the 2nd half and gave up a goal. Blitz's defenders really struggled to adequately clear balls all weekend. Makes for some tense moments for GKs. This game was heated and the refereeing was....suspect. Lots of cards thrown out. 2nd game on Saturday was against a team from Chula Vista, CA. Blitz won 4-0. 3rd game was vs one of the satellite Liverpool academies from SoCal. My son got the 1st half and conceded 2 goals...missed clearances (1st goal, 4 defenders whiffed on clearing a ball from about 12 yards out and failed to close out the LFC player the ball fell to. 2nd, LFC player beat 3 defenders and slotted a nice shot that hit the inside of the far post and in. My son said he just missed getting a finger on it. He did make a couple of really nice saves to keep it at only 2 as well as had a couple really nice distributions. Blitz played with ZERO energy in the 1st half, it really left my son hanging out to dry. Apparently the coach went off on them during half time because they came out fired up in the 2nd half. Blitz scored about 5 minutes on on a free kick from 45 yards...a ball the LFC keeper absolutely butchered as he over ran the ball on his attempt to intervene and it dropped into the goal behind him. From here Blitz controlled most of the 2nd half. The scored again on another set play on a free kick and header. Again the LFC keeper over committed to intervening on the cross, knocked his defender down, and didn't get to the ball and the header in was a comfortable one. The game ended in a 2-2 draw and both teams left some chances on the table.

If you ever go to Tucson, check out Saguaro National Park. Our game times were such we could go and do a morning hike and drive the loop. Nice well marked trails that have varying degrees of difficulty. We kept to the easier ones mostly because my knees are in such a condition that knee replacements are in my future.

BTW, the notion that the desert is hot and dry is not really accurate in March. In March the desert is pretty cold and dry. I regret not bringing an actual jacket or a beanie.

3 games in Tucson over the weekend as part of an EA Showcase. Played at the Kino Sports Complex...this place was primo. Natural grass, believe it was rye, nice and green. It actually may have been too long as the ball was slow and all these kids playing on turf everywhere had no idea how to weight their passes. Blitz lost their 1st game 3-1 to a team from Murrietta, CA. My son played the 2nd half and gave up a goal. Blitz's defenders really struggled to adequately clear balls all weekend. Makes for some tense moments for GKs. This game was heated and the refereeing was....suspect. Lots of cards thrown out. 2nd game on Saturday was against a team from Chula Vista, CA. Blitz won 4-0. 3rd game was vs one of the satellite Liverpool academies from SoCal. My son got the 1st half and conceded 2 goals...missed clearances (1st goal, 4 defenders whiffed on clearing a ball from about 12 yards out and failed to close out the LFC player the ball fell to. 2nd, LFC player beat 3 defenders and slotted a nice shot that hit the inside of the far post and in. My son said he just missed getting a finger on it. He did make a couple of really nice saves to keep it at only 2 as well as had a couple really nice distributions. Blitz played with ZERO energy in the 1st half, it really left my son hanging out to dry. Apparently the coach went off on them during half time because they came out fired up in the 2nd half. Blitz scored about 5 minutes on on a free kick from 45 yards...a ball the LFC keeper absolutely butchered as he over ran the ball on his attempt to intervene and it dropped into the goal behind him. From here Blitz controlled most of the 2nd half. The scored again on another set play on a free kick and header. Again the LFC keeper over committed to intervening on the cross, knocked his defender down, and didn't get to the ball and the header in was a comfortable one. The game ended in a 2-2 draw and both teams left some chances on the table.

If you ever go to Tucson, check out Saguaro National Park. Our game times were such we could go and do a morning hike and drive the loop. Nice well marked trails that have varying degrees of difficulty. We kept to the easier ones mostly because my knees are in such a condition that knee replacements are in my future.

BTW, the notion that the desert is hot and dry is not really accurate in March. In March the desert is pretty cold and dry. I regret not bringing an actual jacket or a beanie.
It was cool and damp when I was in Scottsdale last month.

It wasn't damp this weekend. Dry as hell actually. While the temps topped out at like 67 the 3 days we were there, there were boys dropping like flies with cramps.
ECNL girls showcase is in Phoenix this weekend.

ECNL girls showcase is in Phoenix this weekend.
There was a pretty major tournament in Phoenix this past weekend as well...as well as a 1000 different baseball events.
BTW, I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson may be the busiest 110 mile stretch of road in the middle of nothingness I've ever experienced. I had no idea how much damn traffic could be on a stretch that long at 10pm. And it's a lot of semi's.

Fun facts: Tucson is closer to El Paso (4 hrs) than to the Grand Canyon (5 hrs). And 1 hr to Nogales Mexico

BTW, if you're renting a car in Phoenix, allow plenty of time before the flight back to return it. We were on a time crunch because of the lateness of the last game yesterday and our flight out last evening, so 1.5 hrs from Tucson. Probably gave me only a 30 minute cushion to get there and checked in and everything. I dropped my son at the Southwest counter to check our bags in while I went to drop off the car. 30 minutes to get to the rental car place and find my way to the tram station and finally get back to the gate. Good luck this weekend

There was a pretty major tournament in Phoenix this past weekend as well...as well as a 1000 different baseball events.
BTW, I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson may be the busiest 110 mile stretch of road in the middle of nothingness I've ever experienced. I had no idea how much damn traffic could be on a stretch that long at 10pm. And it's a lot of semi's.

Fun facts: Tucson is closer to El Paso (4 hrs) than to the Grand Canyon (5 hrs). And 1 hr to Nogales Mexico

BTW, if you're renting a car in Phoenix, allow plenty of time before the flight back to return it. We were on a time crunch because of the lateness of the last game yesterday and our flight out last evening, so 1.5 hrs from Tucson. Probably gave me only a 30 minute cushion to get there and checked in and everything. I dropped my son at the Southwest counter to check our bags in while I went to drop off the car. 30 minutes to get to the rental car place and find my way to the tram station and finally get back to the gate. Good luck this weekend
BTW, and I don't know if the complex in Phoenix does the same thing, but we had to go through a security checkpoint/bag check to get into the complex in Tucson. All the players had to open up their player bags and go through the search process as well.

My son AR'd a game yesterday that exemplifies the problem with youth sports at all levels and how parents just don't understand what it is about. This was a U9 boys rec game. One of the teams was U8 and playing up. REC. It was a damn RECREATIONAL game. AS told by my son, the U8 team was actually pretty good and was winning the game 3-0 after the 1st half. In the 2nd half the U9 team scores a couple of times to make the game tighter. The U8 coach starts going off on the center ref for letting go some contact and not calling fouls. My son says she called the game consistently and hadn't been calling the marginal things. New AR on the opposite side signaled for a foul on the opposite side/end of the field, the ref who was standing right by the action, waved the flag down and let play continue. U8 coach comes unglued, and a couple of parents went nuts. The ref assignor for BASC and the referee instructor were there to observe the crew (all teenagers) and tried to talk the parents down. Another ref crew was there as well and tried to talk the parents down....the dad threatened to "beat the sh*t out of the ref" (from my son). At this point, the referee assignor called the police and when this happened the parents left the complex (and their kid behind). U8 coach told the police the identity of the parents.

THEY'RE ****ING 8 OR 9 YEARS OLD. WTFH? Anyone really want to know why we're losing referees and umpires in all sports? It starts here. This is like game 2 or 3 for these kids in the Spring season. They all get a freaking participation trophy at the end. Most of these kids don't care about soccer all that much and the most important part of the game day for them is who gets to be captain and call the coin toss AND what snacks did Johnny's mom bring this week. The parents pay like $90 for the entire Spring season to play.

I'm going to ask the assignor to put me on one of their next games b/c I will flat out go over to the parents' side of the field and give them a speech before the game and let them know if I hear anything that isn't positive or encouraging the players in the game, any negativity directed towards the refs, coaches, or players on either side will result in the match being abandoned. The only thing on the line in these rec games is the kids having fun and maybe learning a little more about the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT