ADVERTISEMENT

Youth soccer club

It’s funny the official abuse seems to be more prevalent in the lower division games. I spent the entire weekend at an ecnl showcase in Phoenix and didn’t hear a parent engage an official a single time. Coaches yes….parents no.

My daughter is no longer with TSC. My wife’s uncle is terminally ill in Dallas. The family gathered down on Tuesday March 21. My kid didn’t want to miss training so I asked and got permission in writing from the club to train with a club in Dallas. That following Weds her coach told me she would be benched for the ecnl showcase for training with another club. I showed him the club approval but he was not swayed. I told the coach and club they couldn’t punish a girl for going to a club approved training and if they proceeded on the path she wouldn’t play another game for the coach. Coach held firm so I followed through and asked for her card. Just a bad deal.

Anyway, FC Dallas immediately picked her up so we played with them on Phoenix.

Last edited:
It’s funny the official abuse seems to be more prevalent in the lower division games. I spent the entire weekend at an ecnl showcase in Phoenix and didn’t hear a parent engage an official a single time. Coaches yes….parents no.

My daughter is no longer with TSC. My wife’s uncle is terminally ill in Dallas. The family gathered down on Tuesday March 21. My kid didn’t want to miss training so I asked and got permission in writing from the club to train with a club in Dallas. That following Weds her coach told me she would be benched for the ecnl showcase for training with another club. I showed him the club approval but he was not swayed. I told the coach and club they couldn’t punish a girl for going to a club approved training and it they proceeded on the path she wouldn’t play another game for the coach. Coach held firm so I followed through and asked for her card. Just a bad deal.

Anyway, FC Dallas immediately picked her up so we played with them on Phoenix.
Wow on the club drama.

The EA showcases, the coaches rarely say anything to the officials. Last week was different as I saw several yellows handed out to coaches...and I can't say that I heard them even saying anything to players or refs. At one point, I asked the ref in my son's game to watch for the inside shirt tugs (I didn't yell it, he was about 5 feet away from me), and his reply was "yeah yeah, everyone's a ref these days." I told him that I actually was and if he wanted I could show him my credentials. I've mellowed a bunch towards officiating since becoming an official so no yelling and shouting anymore. I've actually had some interesting conversations with ARs while on the sidelines watching though :)

But yeah, these rec games are way out of control with parents thinking their 9 year old might be losing a chance to win the World Cup because an AR ruled a ball out against their team for a throw-in. A much more experienced referee once told me if parents/coaches are arguing about throw ins and who the ball was last off, then they're not focusing on the right things because in youth level soccer games, after a throw-in, the ball is turned over in about 5 seconds.

My son AR'd a game yesterday that exemplifies the problem with youth sports at all levels and how parents just don't understand what it is about. This was a U9 boys rec game. One of the teams was U8 and playing up. REC. It was a damn RECREATIONAL game. AS told by my son, the U8 team was actually pretty good and was winning the game 3-0 after the 1st half. In the 2nd half the U9 team scores a couple of times to make the game tighter. The U8 coach starts going off on the center ref for letting go some contact and not calling fouls. My son says she called the game consistently and hadn't been calling the marginal things. New AR on the opposite side signaled for a foul on the opposite side/end of the field, the ref who was standing right by the action, waved the flag down and let play continue. U8 coach comes unglued, and a couple of parents went nuts. The ref assignor for BASC and the referee instructor were there to observe the crew (all teenagers) and tried to talk the parents down. Another ref crew was there as well and tried to talk the parents down....the dad threatened to "beat the sh*t out of the ref" (from my son). At this point, the referee assignor called the police and when this happened the parents left the complex (and their kid behind). U8 coach told the police the identity of the parents.

THEY'RE ****ING 8 OR 9 YEARS OLD. WTFH? Anyone really want to know why we're losing referees and umpires in all sports? It starts here. This is like game 2 or 3 for these kids in the Spring season. They all get a freaking participation trophy at the end. Most of these kids don't care about soccer all that much and the most important part of the game day for them is who gets to be captain and call the coin toss AND what snacks did Johnny's mom bring this week. The parents pay like $90 for the entire Spring season to play.

I'm going to ask the assignor to put me on one of their next games b/c I will flat out go over to the parents' side of the field and give them a speech before the game and let them know if I hear anything that isn't positive or encouraging the players in the game, any negativity directed towards the refs, coaches, or players on either side will result in the match being abandoned. The only thing on the line in these rec games is the kids having fun and maybe learning a little more about the game.
It is the only profession I know of where a teenager can sign up to be told by a parent or coach at a 6-9 that they are a worthless sack of dirt. It is pretty amazing. Parents shouldn't be forced to be completely quiet at certain levels; have fun with it. Others disagree but in a rational way. It is ridiculous if it is everything, and you lose all your equity.

TSC is announcing tonight that they have been dropped from ECRL to the regional RL league. Their ECNL program is also now on probation. Girls side only. Soccer drama.

TSC is announcing tonight that they have been dropped from ECRL to the regional RL league. Their ECNL program is also now on probation. Girls side only. Soccer drama.
What happened with that? Player tampering or something more serious?

So this thread is up to 21 pages after about 3-4 years of posts. It originally started as someone asking about the Sheffield United club and how good it might be as an option. So Sheffield is all but gone now. 2 years ago they were folded in under the competitive arm of Broken Arrow Soccer Club with the exception of boys teams in the 06 and 07 age groups. Last year you still had several Sheffield teams competing through BASC and BASC made the decision that this season all of those competitive teams would be competing under the name BA Express. The 2 hold out teams still competing under Sheffield are essentially the only two and next year they will be under the Blitz mantle because they just don't have enough boys to sustain. So no more Sheffield starting in August.

@lawpoke87 Did your daughter get to play in the matches vs TSC yesterday? I just saw TSC's post about the ECNL and RL matches.
Yes. FC Dallas received clearance from ECNL for her to play. FCD has been fantastic toward her. They got her card transferred within and hour so she could play in the ECNL showcase in Phoenix and she played yesterday as well. She has played every minute of every game and has taken every free kick.

The game yesterday was a struggle. FCD lost their top offensive player in the first game in Phoenix to a torn hamstring. They really don’t have anyone to replace that threat up top for the rest of this season so scoring is problematic. It’s Dallas so you know there will be several very good players added for next season. We tied 0-0 yesterday. Need to win the next two to make Champions league playoffs in San Diego at the end of June.

My daughter trained with her favorite Blitz coach this am at Rogers State. Going to be sad to see him go to OCU at the end of the month.

I’m so hearing rumors of a potential coaching change in the TU’s women’s programs. Hopefully it works out. The girls side needs a boost.

Last edited:
Yes. FC Dallas received clearance from ECNL for her to play. FCD has been fantastic toward her. They got her card transferred within and hour so she could play in the ECNL showcase in Phoenix and she played yesterday as well. She has played every minute of every game and has taken every free kick.

The game yesterday was a struggle. FCD lost their top offensive player in the first game in Phoenix to a torn hamstring. They really don’t have anyone to replace that threat up top for the rest of this season so scoring is problematic. It’s Dallas so you know there will be several very good players added for next season. We tied 0-0 yesterday. Need to win the next two to make Champions league playoffs in San Diego at the end of June.

My daughter trained with her favorite Blitz coach this am at Rogers State. Going to be sad to see him go to OCU at the end of the month.

I’m so hearing rumors of a potential coaching change in the TU’s women’s programs. Hopefully it works out. The girls side needs a boost.
Who's her favorite coach at Rogers St? We know Derek Larkin as he is head of the boys program at Blitz as well as the head coach for the RSU men. Actually a couple of my son's teammates at Union will be headed to play there after this season. I've heard that Larkin is going to have the 05/06 boys next year and that will be great and Mickey Eklund will be coaching a team after coming over from Sheffield. My guess is he keeps an 07 group. The 06s are going to fold into the oldest group at Blitz for next season. It will be interesting. The GK my son is "behind" right now won't have the protection of the coach this season who brought him over to Blitz from Highlanders a couple years ago.

Who is the rumored coach that might be going to TU?

Who's her favorite coach at Rogers St? We know Derek Larkin as he is head of the boys program at Blitz as well as the head coach for the RSU men. Actually a couple of my son's teammates at Union will be headed to play there after this season. I've heard that Larkin is going to have the 05/06 boys next year and that will be great and Mickey Eklund will be coaching a team after coming over from Sheffield. My guess is he keeps an 07 group. The 06s are going to fold into the oldest group at Blitz for next season. It will be interesting. The GK my son is "behind" right now won't have the protection of the coach this season who brought him over to Blitz from Highlanders a couple years ago.

Who is the rumored coach that might be going to TU?
Jake Simpson is her favorite Blitz and ex RSU coach.

Rather not throw out names on a public message board regarding potential TU women’s HC candidates.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Jake Simpson is her favorite Blitz and ex RSU coach.

Rather not throw out names on a public message board regarding potential TU women’s HC candidates.
Simpson is a good coach. Definitely has a bright career in front of him. Larkin does an outstanding job developing coaches. A bunch of his former assistants are head coaches other places or moved on to be assistants at higher levels.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Simpson is a good coach. Definitely has a bright career in front of him. Larkin does an outstanding job developing coaches. A bunch of his former assistants are head coaches other places or moved on to be assistants at higher levels.
I really like Larkin, the way he teaches the game to players, especially the youth players, and his demeanor. I don't know much about Simpson.

Reactions: 918Golden
This weekend my son's team is in St. Louis for the St. Louis Scott Gallagher tournament. His team is playing at the Creve Coeur complex...we were hoping for World Wide Technology Soccer Park in Fenton since it's only about 10 minutes from my in laws house. Creve Coeur is a little bit of a drive from their house.

I'm ready for soccer season to be over this year.

Any word from Blitz on how they’re going to handle moving to ECRL- Regional? Do they keep DPL and have their #2 teams play there?

Any word from Blitz on how they’re going to handle moving to ECRL- Regional? Do they keep DPL and have their #2 teams play there?
I haven't heard anything at all about Blitz and they haven't put it out there on social media about their changes, especially on the girls side. I don't think it will affect my son much. I think the boys will keep EA as their top platform and if they have teams that can play in the RL then they might do that. I wouldn't advocated that for the 06 Premier team...they're not very good. But with Sheffield coming in I can see that core group plus a few off the Premier side and a few 05s who are HS JRs now combining up and being RL.

I haven't heard anything at all about Blitz and they haven't put it out there on social media about their changes, especially on the girls side. I don't think it will affect my son much. I think the boys will keep EA as their top platform and if they have teams that can play in the RL then they might do that. I wouldn't advocated that for the 06 Premier team...they're not very good. But with Sheffield coming in I can see that core group plus a few off the Premier side and a few 05s who are HS JRs now combining up and being RL.
From what I’ve heard, RL is only for the boys side this season. ECNL is forming a new ECRL-reg conference with teams from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, etc… (not Texas). Blitz is slated to be part of this new conference along with TSC. No clue where WSA RL-reg teams will end up. Rumor is Blitz girls have a decent shot of being taken into the RL platform for the 2024-2025 season. Blitz should have an announcement coming regarding the boys in the next couple of weeks.

From what I’ve heard, RL is only for the boys side this season. ECNL is forming a new ECRL-reg conference with teams from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, etc… (not Texas). Blitz is slated to be part of this new conference along with TSC. No clue where WSA RL-reg teams will end up. Rumor is Blitz girls have a decent shot of being taken into the RL platform for the 2024-2025 season. Blitz should have an announcement coming regarding the boys in the next couple of weeks.
OK. I've not heard that. I don't know what is happening and I'm not 100% sure my son will even stay at Blitz. He might go back to TSC to play his final year of club soccer with friends he's had for a long time. Depends. Larking likes my son as a GK and will give him a fair shot to play top team at Blitz vs the current 06 coach.

So that Regional League was supposed to start with the RL-NTX this year for TSC. Didn't happen and that league stuck with all TX teams to see how it would go. That league for next year is essentially the same as the EA Midwest Conference. Not sure how the level of play will differ from EA though. I know the 06 TSC team that will be in it (my son's old team) and for a head to head comparison, that TSC team will play my son's EA team on Monday in a State Cup round robin pool game. The 06 EA team beat the TSC 04/05 team earlier this season in the 04/05 OPL bracket. I fully expect that the EA team should win this game as I know TSC lost one of their key players (quit club altogether to focus on HS soccer). We'll see.

So that Regional League was supposed to start with the RL-NTX this year for TSC. Didn't happen and that league stuck with all TX teams to see how it would go. That league for next year is essentially the same as the EA Midwest Conference. Not sure how the level of play will differ from EA though. I know the 06 TSC team that will be in it (my son's old team) and for a head to head comparison, that TSC team will play my son's EA team on Monday in a State Cup round robin pool game. The 06 EA team beat the TSC 04/05 team earlier this season in the 04/05 OPL bracket. I fully expect that the EA team should win this game as I know TSC lost one of their key players (quit club altogether to focus on HS soccer). We'll see.
I know TSC girls who were ECRL are being moved to the newly formed ECRL-reg conference and out of the Texas league. From what I’ve heard this affects only the girls side at TSC. I still have friends at Blitz (parents and coaches) so I’m happy they’re getting on an additional platform. ECRL would really help the girls side imo. Hoping that change comes to fruition next year for them.

I know TSC girls who were ECRL are being moved to the newly formed ECRL-reg conference and out of the Texas league. From what I’ve heard this affects only the girls side at TSC. I still have friends at Blitz (parents and coaches) so I’m happy they’re getting on an additional platform. ECRL would really help the girls side imo. Hoping that change comes to fruition next year for them.
So Blitz just teased out the following:

"Announcements Coming Soon
Coachling Lineups
Leagues
Tryout Dates"

So we'll see how they roll these things out. My guess is they'll ditch the FCL platform for the couple teams that were still doing it and putting the 2nd teams in the RL Regional League.

Reactions: lawpoke87
So how does training with FC Dallas work since you're in Oklahoma?
FCD has designated her as a “Discovery Player”. Meaning they have no training requirements place upon her. Their official position is just show up for the games. My position is she needs the trainings. She currently trains down there one day a week. She trains back to back with the 2010g ecnl and 2009g ecnl….so two trainings. We may try to add an additional evening every other week for next season if she decides to continue to play for them. She’s fortunate to have several local coaches here who are willing to train her locally to fill in any gaps.

FCD has designated her as a “Discovery Player”. Meaning they have no training requirements place upon her. Their official position is just show up for the games. My position is she needs the trainings. She currently trains down there one day a week. She trains back to back with the 2010g ecnl and 2009g ecnl….so two trainings. We may try to add an additional evening every other week for next season if she decides to continue to play for them. She’s fortunate to have several local coaches here who are willing to train her locally to fill in any gaps.
Good deal. I'm not sure I have that level of dedication for that distance (but we don't have family in that area so probably a little easier if you do). I never understood the # of kids coming from OKC and Bentonville to play at TSC either though. Heck, my son plays with 4 kids from Bristow, and after having picked them up and dropped them off for a game in OKC one weekend, I was like no way in hell am I making that 40 minute drive to practice 3 days a week...And I am wondering what we're going to do next year when he will likely have to train in Claremore some days next year. The liberation I felt when my son got his license and me not having to chauffeur to practice all the time was pretty exhilarating 😂 . He's never driven out there by himself but I think I will need to have him do it a couple of times.

Good deal. I'm not sure I have that level of dedication for that distance (but we don't have family in that area so probably a little easier if you do). I never understood the # of kids coming from OKC and Bentonville to play at TSC either though. Heck, my son plays with 4 kids from Bristow, and after having picked them up and dropped them off for a game in OKC one weekend, I was like no way in hell am I making that 40 minute drive to practice 3 days a week...And I am wondering what we're going to do next year when he will likely have to train in Claremore some days next year. The liberation I felt when my son got his license and me not having to chauffeur to practice all the time was pretty exhilarating 😂 . He's never driven out there by himself but I think I will need to have him do it a couple of times.
Unfortunately, if your kid wants to play ECNL it appears beginning next year the options will likely be limited to OKC or Dallas. I’m curious to see how this affects the competitive balance in girls 6A high school soccer between the Tulsa and OKC schools.

Blitz just announced their affiliation with ECNL_RL Mid-America Conference. I have asked the question if that platform is replacing the EA platform or if it is in addition to it

Mid-America is a newly formed conference. I expect TSC to be part of it as well. Curious to see what they’re doing with EA. In the past ECNL has required clubs to drop a certain platform to be admitted to ECNL. Now that was ECNL not RL so I’m not sure they would have the same pull.

Last edited:
If you only knew…..
Yeah, I agree...the political BS between clubs and platforms and blocking other clubs from being part of certain platforms...and how a little extra $$$ to the club can buy your kid's spot on a given level team...it's freaking Days of our Lives with soccer as the backdrop.

Just got back from St. Louis. So the Creve Coeur complex rivals Scheel's in Kansas City. The parking at Scheel's is a little better, but the fields were fantastic. But this Creve Coeur complex is part of the St. Louis County parks system and honestly, this is what Tulsa/Tulsa County should do with Mohawk. The biggest difference is turf (StL) vs grass (Tulsa). Get the city and county to get a bond issue to convert the fields to turf and sell it on saving probably $250k a year in maintenance costs plus able to charge groups a little more for the field usage. BASC just converted 4 fields at Indian Springs to turf fields (and they're really nice) and I think I heard it cost them about $500k per but they won't have to mow or paint lines on those fields and instead of a $75/game charge, they can charge $200 per to outside groups.

First game on Saturday was delayed by an hour b/c of lightning. Played a team from Springfield, IL. Game weird. Blitz sort of controlled the play and possession. This IL team ran out a 6'4" forward but when you watched him run you thought you might be watching a baby giraffe trying to figure out his legs. Really awkward. My son played a strong game, several interventions on over the top and through balls, made a couple nice 1 v 1 saves. He also got run over a couple of times for his efforts coming out. Game was scoreless for 69 minutes and 30 seconds. Blitz CB made an error and the IL team was able to run a kid in behind the backline for a 1 v 1 against my son...my son makes a really nice save and the rebound pops straight back to the attacker and it deflects off of him and rolls slowly into the goal as none of the Blitz defenders really tracked back to help out.

2nd game was supposed to be at 8:00PM against a team from Chicago. That game got postponed b/c apparently St. Louis decided to want to make the Oklahomans feel at home and have a bunch of tornado warnings. We were at my MIL's house and she was freaking out. Of course this was a luxury tornado warning for us because my MIL has a basement. It passed about 3 miles to the west of us so we didn't feel the need to go down there 😂 Game was rescheduled for 7am yesterday. So the difference between Saturday and Sunday in St. Louis was about 45 degrees and 30 mph wind. It was freezing yesterday. Blitz won 1-0 on a 1st half header. My son was called on to hold off an early onslaught of chances and probably came away with 3-4 saves off a series of corners and he made a highlight reel save on one of them. Blitz D played well in this one and the chances were really limited. The team from Chicago was a better team technically than Blitz and did some nice things moving the ball but couldn't find a finish. Blitz goal came after a CHI defender attempted a pass back to his GK and shanked it over the end line for a corner kick and a header, save, and a header put back in.

3rd game was 12:30pm yesterday. About 45 degrees, 30mph consistent wind blowing across the field. Played a club called Roadrunners SC. This team was pretty good...good movement, good technical skill, good passing. My son stopped a PK within the 1st 5 minutes. He said he absolutely knew where the kid was trying to go. He made 4-5 more really quality saves in the 1st half and some other key reads to come off his line and intercept some through balls. Distribution was also on point seeing some openings and playing some quick driving punts that saw his forward run past the defenders and get a couple shots off. Blitz struggled with keeping possession in this game so quick counters were pretty much the only hopes of scoring...but none came. Roadrunners scored 3 in the 2nd half, 2 on 1 v 1s with the GK, and the last came on a cross that a defender deflected as my son was coming to intercept it and it ended up on an attacker's foot about 3 feet from goal and tapped in.

All in all the group actually played pretty well for not having played an actual game since February and training sessions have been spotty for attendance because of HS soccer.

I jokingly refer to Creve Couer as Scheels without the parking. Many of the fields at Mohawk are in really rough shape….basically dirt. Over played and no water is a bad combo for a soccer fields.

Scott Gallagher is one of the top clubs in the country and play out of St Louis. Very technical and possession soccer. No idea what they look like on the boys side.

My daughter’s team trained at TOCA yesterday in Dallas. Really a neat concept.

I jokingly refer to Creve Couer as Scheels without the parking. Many of the fields at Mohawk are in really rough shape….basically dirt. Over played and no water is a bad combo for a soccer fields.

Scott Gallagher is one of the top clubs in the country and play out of St Louis. Very technical and possession soccer. No idea what they look like on the boys side.

There were a number of SLSG teams but we didn't play any of them. My wife's cousin's son plays for one of them but they have like 8 '06 teams from ECNL on down. The one SLSG team in our bracket only won a game vs the worst team in (by record and GD) in our bracket.

The 06 EA team is playing my son's old TSC team tonight in a State Cup pool game at Mohawk. The fields at Mohawk are cared for a the most minimal level by the city. And I know they charge clubs a premium rate to use the facility. 2 yrs ago for Route 66 Cup, it was over run with dandelions and other weeds. It was dreadful.

Indian Springs is still the best dedicated soccer facility on this side of the state bar none.

If TSC has lost ECNL on the girls side, they're not being open about it as they just announced their team levels and coaches for them and they've included ECNL and ECNL-RL for the girls as well as the boys.

If TSC has lost ECNL on the girls side, they're not being open about it as they just announced their team levels and coaches for them and they've included ECNL and ECNL-RL for the girls as well as the boys.
TSC girls ECNL is on “probation” for the 2023-2024 season. TSC girls ECRL has been demoted to the ECRL-regional league beginning this upcoming season. Regional league is the third tier of the ECNL hierarchy. ECRL is #2.

The 06 EA team is playing my son's old TSC team tonight in a State Cup pool game at Mohawk. The fields at Mohawk are cared for a the most minimal level by the city. And I know they charge clubs a premium rate to use the facility. 2 yrs ago for Route 66 Cup, it was over run with dandelions and other weeds. It was dreadful.

Indian Springs is still the best dedicated soccer facility on this side of the state bar none.
Mohawk fields are currently in the poorest conditions I’ve seen in the past three years at that complex. Basically just dirt at this point. Still better than Titan (fewer holes) but far from what TSC is expected provide by ECNL.

Mohawk fields are currently in the poorest conditions I’ve seen in the past three years at that complex. Basically just dirt at this point. Still better than Titan (fewer holes) but far from what TSC is expected provide by ECNL.
I would be shocked if Barry doesn't try to secure the turf fields at Indian Springs for ECNL weekends and just pass the cost onto the parents. They're really the only fields in Tulsa without using some of the area HS that are any good (the grass fields at ISSC are better than any others in the area as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT