ADVERTISEMENT

World population growth

WATU2

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
I thought this was an interesting view of how world popular grew from 170M to 7.3B:

Reactions: TUMe
Thanks for posting. Seeing the dots in Europe disappearing during the Black Death was uncomfortable.

What strikes me is that over half of the population gains from now to 2050 will occur in the region most incapable of sustaining that increase....Africa. Humans are the only species on this planet where population growth is not determined by local resources. Africa has become the largest food importer per capita on earth which in turn has and will fuel the future population growth. My worry is if this population growth occurs as predicted what would the consequences be of a large drought in the food producing areas of the world? The exports now going to feed these people would be kept at home resulting in mass starvation of billions. This is a disaster waiting to occur.

Throw in the undeniable fact that the earth is warming at a alarming and seemingly unstoppable rate, and the prospect for the inhabitants of this planet are catastrophic. Women in every country have to be able to control their bodies, this is where religion, throughout the world, has done a terrible disservice to their specific followers, it's not okay to just have offspring, when the effects of such can't be feed, housed, given a chance to prosper. This earth is shrinking for man, for all life forms, no question whatsoever.

Is there a correlation to religion and the population explosion in Africa? First time I've seen this mentioned.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Excellent video. One thing that they got wrong was that they said 10 Billion by the end of the century. The UN says 10 Billion by around 2050 and that is a moving number, of course. It was recently moved up 8 years...again by the UN.

Very good point that we are the only species that tries to live where the food must be brought in. Every problem that man faces is made worse by population.

Going back further than 1 AD, there would have few if any dots on the map during the hunter-gatherer era unless less people were represented by a dot.

Sobering view of our challenges as a species. Unfortunately few leaders educate the public about the implications and risks. Certainly not in Iowa.

This is an updated version with better special effects of a similar one that was in circulation maybe 20 years ago. But of course back in those days they weren't quite as open about the killing of babies as a solution to world population problems.

And the idea that we have to "select" those among us to be eliminated was also a "solution" in Nazi Germany. Make no mistake, that's the point of the thread. Too many people in India? Lieberal solution - Abort more american babies.

Killing babies or abortion is not an answer to the population problem. However, forcing people to have a child that they don't want or can't support is not going to effect population very much either way. Government's stand on such things should be neutral. At one time vasectomy was considered illegal or a questionable practice. It is now considered mainstream urology. A similar case could be made for tubal ligation.

Whether abortion is wrong or not is a religious decision and government should stay out of it. I also feel that way about assisted suicide. Now, I'm going to pull away from my liberal friends here, if Joe wants to blow his brains out, don't blame the gun, just like you don't blame the surgeons tools for abortions.

Consider the following when thinking about population growth.

1. If the issue and its consequences are important, why don't those running for presidency of most powerful country on earth mention it?
2. How sustainable is it that a country with 5% of the world's population consumes 25% of its resources?
3. If climate is changing, for whatever reason, what effect will that have on the challenges that population growth poses? There are many projections that agricultural land will become less productive as the climate warms and becomes more volatile.
4. Do we spend our time addressing the most important long term issues that will affect not just us, but our grandchildren?

In answer to WATU's questions.

1. The big problem with population is that there is nothing we/USA can do about it. No political ground to be gained and about the only support would be from the makers of birth control pills and condoms. Finally, it goes against several major religions.

2. Yes, we are the biggest per capita user of energy, but we are a major, major supplier of food. The flyover states feed a lot of people and supply a lot of our balance of trade.

3. Warming is not the only issue tied to population. The use of freshwater and the discharge of polluted water are also important. Trash in the ocean. Acid rain, which we have made huge strides in is ignored in many countries. NOX and volatile hydrocarbons which form "smog" must be very high in China if you look at the air quality. If for the sake of the argument we say CO2 is the sole cause of warming, and we cut our carbon discharge by 25% in the same amount of time that world population grows by 50% then what have we gained? We are after all only 5% of the world.

4. Yes and no. Yes, we should try to do something about population. But we also have to understand that there are things that even the greatest nation on Earth can't control. Five percent of the World can't tell the other 95% how many kids to have. We can't enforce it on India, or China where they have dropped the one child law or in Africa or in the Amazon basin.

Reactions: WATU2
TUMe. I have really mixed feelings on this issue. When I was little, and I first started hearing about the Chinese limitations on births I was appalled. But now, as I look at how much nutritional growth the world can sustain... it really worries me, and I can kind of understand why the Chinese did what they did. I still don't know if I support it... and you're right that pushing contraception on a world full of catholics, muslims, etc... may be very, very difficult. If the world can somehow solve the climate change crisis... I think overpopulation might be the next global problem.

Hopefully, as countries like India advance they will see that there's just not going to be enough food to feed their exploding population and it will discourage some people from having children without necessitating a political mandate. But, then I see what goes on in Africa, and I'm skeptical of that.

TUMe. I have really mixed feelings on this issue. When I was little, and I first started hearing about the Chinese limitations on births I was appalled. But now, as I look at how much nutritional growth the world can sustain... it really worries me, and I can kind of understand why the Chinese did what they did. I still don't know if I support it... and you're right that pushing contraception on a world full of catholics, muslims, etc... may be very, very difficult. If the world can somehow solve the climate change crisis... I think overpopulation might be the next global problem.

Hopefully, as countries like India advance they will see that there's just not going to be enough food to feed their exploding population and it will discourage some people from having children without necessitating a political mandate. But, then I see what goes on in Africa, and I'm skeptical of that.

China has backed off a bit on one child, but still restrictive. Unintended consequence: female feteuses being aborted as boys are more highly valued than girls. But how do you manage a population of a billion with 600 million still poor? India still battling ingrained cultural issues as well. Africa is too fragmented and has few institutions that can consider much less address long range issues.

It would be easy to throw in the towel, but can we afford to?

Both WATU and Lawpoke express well the two sides of a dilemma.

Birth control, the availability for every women in the world to access birth control affordibly/freely, is the number one solution to human population control going forward.

Birth control, the availability for every women in the world to access birth control affordibly/freely, is the number one solution to human population control going forward.

But only if they want it. Part of the problem is many religions discourage it. "Be fruitful and multiply."

Lots of influences. Rising affluence and lower infant mortality supposedly reduce birth rates. The problem is that science is moving faster than culures and religion can adjust to.

Absent those adjustments, we are back to Malthusian population reduction forces. Given the advancements in the destructiveness of weaponry, we may not have to worry about gradual global warming.

Reactions: eastcane
Go to this link and slide down to Feb 1 for interview with expert on effects and implementation of China's one child policy. Warts and all.
----------------

Rivals keeps deleting the URL for the NPR link every time I post it. Weird.

Still a great discussion of the consequences of China's one child policy. Go to "Fresh Air" on NPR and the Feb 1 interview. Worth it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT