ADVERTISEMENT

when is the press conference?

Tulsa's defense will be the best in the AAC next year.
What we learned is that given an off-season, it’s possible to retool a unit without firing everyone in charge. At the end of last season, people were calling for Young’s head. But he & Montgomery went to the drawing board and got better.

Unless something crazy happens, I don’t expect any wholesale changes to the offensive staff this offseason. But I’m okay with that for reasons I’ve layed out on the pay board. I will be interested to see how the offseason is used to maybe retool some offensive philosophies going into next season.

What we learned is that given an off-season, it’s possible to retool a unit without firing everyone in charge. At the end of last season, people were calling for Young’s head. But he & Montgomery went to the drawing board and got better.

Unless something crazy happens, I don’t expect any wholesale changes to the offensive staff this offseason. But I’m okay with that for reasons I’ve layed out on the pay board. I will be interested to see how the offseason is used to maybe retool some offensive philosophies going into next season.
To be fair, we did go out and get a completely new secondary coach after Norwood left. I don't think he's in charge of calling defensive plays... but I think he did help retool the secondary, especially because he was able to work with 5 guys on every play now instead of the traditional 4 we've had in the back field. I think taking away one of Bill's guys up front actually helped him think creatively about what we were going to do with our LB's to get pressure on the QB while still having good pass coverage.

I'd like to see Monty bring in a new QB coach and a new WR coach. He can give them the title of OC if he likes, but I still say Monty gets one more year to call plays.... this time with his chosen QB and a renewed desire to actually pass the ball. Maybe having a couple new coaches in the room will have the same effect on Monty's play calling that it did on Bill Young.

One thing I really think is impressive, is how cohesive and supportive of Monty the lockerroom has remained during a second down season. When Blank had a similar situation you could tell he'd lost some of the lockerroom at the same point. I think the players are really rallying for Monty... and that's a good thing.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Let's start with the bolded part. Your reading comprehension is poor to say the least.

What I pointed out is the same excuses used now to maintain a coach who has 1 winning season (with someone else's players), will be even more valid next year.

You clearly have no idea what jihad is so you should probably avoid using the term since it is better to let the world think you are ignorant than it is to prove it.

As for your final point, we just had him win two games in back to back seasons and go over a year with out a win over an FBS opponent. There have been zero changes made. There is no reason to believe another result similar to the last two seasons will lead to change since it did not before.

A solid definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.
Don’t worry, I understood your point, it’s just so dumb that I chose to make fun of it. You have to admit, it is really dumb - when he wins 2 games next year everyone will forget that he only won 7 games in 3 years and say “we have to keep him, the schedule was hard this year!” Lol. Everyone knows it’s just money, not keeping him because of his results. You should look up jihad on urbandictionary. It’s is commonly used colloquially in ways that are different than its religious definition. Like “man Tony really hates Sheila, I don’t know what she ever did to him, he’s got some jihad going against her.” Expand your literary horizons. Some of them are really very funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
To be fair, we did go out and get a completely new secondary coach after Norwood left. I don't think he's in charge of calling defensive plays... but I think he did help retool the secondary, especially because he was able to work with 5 guys on every play now instead of the traditional 4 we've had in the back field. I think taking away one of Bill's guys up front actually helped him think creatively about what we were going to do with our LB's to get pressure on the QB while still having good pass coverage.

I'd like to see Monty bring in a new QB coach and a new WR coach. He can give them the title of OC if he likes, but I still say Monty gets one more year to call plays.... this time with his chosen QB and a renewed desire to actually pass the ball. Maybe having a couple new coaches in the room will have the same effect on Monty's play calling that it did on Bill Young.

One thing I really think is impressive, is how cohesive and supportive of Monty the lockerroom has remained during a second down season. When Blank had a similar situation you could tell he'd lost some of the lockerroom at the same point. I think the players are really rallying for Monty... and that's a good thing.
The new coach is safeties only. Fletcher has always been the cornerbacks coach and they work together to manage the secondary with Fletcher on field and Buckels in the booth. At the end of the day, it’s still Young’s defense and he manages all decisions made. I would agree that with Norwood leaving, it allowed Young the opportunity to retool the defense in a way he felt wholly comfortable with without a Co-DC to come in with different ideas. This has been Young’s creation and people around the program has been very complementary of how it’s gone.

The new coach is safeties only. Fletcher has always been the cornerbacks coach and they work together to manage the secondary with Fletcher on field and Buckels in the booth. At the end of the day, it’s still Young’s defense and he manages all decisions made. I would agree that with Norwood leaving, it allowed Young the opportunity to retool the defense in a way he felt wholly comfortable with without a Co-DC to come in with different ideas. This has been Young’s creation and people around the program has been very complementary of how it’s gone.
I'm just wondering if we're doing something along the lines of what TCU has done with a similar defense for a while. They have one guy calling the play for the secondary and another guy calling it for the front 6. If it were that case it would probably be Buckels and Young both due for some of the credit. Either way, Young deserves to be lauded for doing so well with one fewer guy up front. I'm sure that decision was run by Monty too... so I'd like to give Monty a tad of credit as well.

Looks like Sterlin Gilbert might get the axe at USF for similar reasons that we've all grumbled about Monty. (Run heavy offensive play calling).

I wonder if they could rekindle some of the offensive fire they had with Dane if we could get him back here? I know it would be a double down on our offense... but that offense they built together was a good one for two years.

Looks like Sterlin Gilbert might get the axe at USF for similar reasons that we've all grumbled about Monty. (Run heavy offensive play calling).

I wonder if they could rekindle some of the offensive fire they had with Dane if we could get him back here? I know it would be a double down on our offense... but that offense they built together was a good one for two years.
It would also bring a dedicated QB coach back on campus. One I trust. It also helps having a 2nd person who knows the offense and can make suggestions. It also frees Monty to be an actual HC.

USF's problems weren't all on the offensive side of the football. The QB was OK but wasn't as dynamic as who they had back there last year. He wasn't great at throwing the football even with all the talented WRs they had and teams really seemed to key on McCants who went crazy last year as teams tried to cover him with LBs. Recall the USF game this year, Whitfield had most of the coverage assignments on McCants and McCants simply couldn't shake free. They had a dynamic RB in Ford who could really scoot. Of course losing to UCF and getting crushed by their backup QB and I'm sure USF fans are looking to blame someone.

Gilbert burned a lot of bridges when he left. Can’t imagine why he’d get another chance.

Gilbert burned a lot of bridges when he left. Can’t imagine why he’d get another chance.
How so? I felt like it was the OL coach who we wanted to stay as a new OC who really burned bridges.

He certainly didn't burn any more than Graham when he left and people were clamoring for Graham. If we want to get someone to help but still knows our offense, there's probably no one out there who would be a better fit for us.

i have found it strange that malzahn, montgomery, and gilbert have all taken one-time high powered offensive systems and made them boring as crap...seems like either they have changed or have zero confidence in their QBs...or both.

i question if there isn't a certain amount of scaredy-cat involved, like they are afraid to push the envelope for fear of an INT or something...but all three have definitely changed from their original approach.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
i have found it strange that malzahn, montgomery, and gilbert have all taken one-time high powered offensive systems and made them boring as crap...seems like either they have changed or have zero confidence in their QBs...or both.

i question if there isn't a certain amount of scaredy-cat involved, like they are afraid to push the envelope for fear of an INT or something...but all three have definitely changed from their original approach.
I think some of it has been not having the right QB's to run their systems. There weren't as many complaints about Gilberts offense at Texas as there were about Strong's defense which was horrible.

I think the three gurus of the HUNH offense may have figured out that, at the college level, it puts too much pressure on their own defense; the defense is just on the field too much.

First we had a major change in defensive coaching with Norwood gone.

Second our depth and experience greatly increased from injured players last year and young guys being force to play.

Even given that we are unlikely to be a top 3 defense in the league next year. Cincy returns everybody and is already the best defense in the league. UCF will return a lot. Temple and USF are going to be good and Houston will be better even with out Ed Oliver just because they had so many injuries. Our defense is meh to average given that we traditionally have been an explosive offensive that should be more than enough to win a ton of games. Bill Young has more years coaching then many people on here have living. His coaching remains consitant.

We need similar change on the offense and according to results in the main game situation decision maker.

Reactions: drboobay
Don’t worry, I understood your point, it’s just so dumb that I chose to make fun of it. You have to admit, it is really dumb - when he wins 2 games next year everyone will forget that he only won 7 games in 3 years and say “we have to keep him, the schedule was hard this year!” Lol. Everyone knows it’s just money, not keeping him because of his results. You should look up jihad on urbandictionary. It’s is commonly used colloquially in ways that are different than its religious definition. Like “man Tony really hates Sheila, I don’t know what she ever did to him, he’s got some jihad going against her.” Expand your literary horizons. Some of them are really very funny.

No what's absurd is that we allowed them to make the same damn excuses two years in a row. Some how now magically we'll fire him when it's said a third time? Why did it take three times?

There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once… shame on… shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again.....

As far as Jihad, ah, no, that isn't how it's used.

Because he and Monty are friends. If Monty hasn't done anything else in his time here, he has shown incredible loyalty to people, players and coaches alike. He may actually be loyal to a fault.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I think the three gurus of the HUNH offense may have figured out that, at the college level, it puts too much pressure on their own defense; the defense is just on the field too much.
I think this is probably closer to the reason for their dialed down approach than anyone really wants to admit. Look at OU. They can score in a minute but their defense is gassed in the 4th quarter.

Malzahn's approach requires having offensive lineman that can hold a block for more than 3 seconds and having the WRs who can beat the DBs who know what's coming (ala Brennan Marion). The wheel routes and fly routes are great, but you have to have ALL the personnel in the right places to make them work properly. Ain't nobody holding a block for 3+ seconds against Alabama or LSU or Georgia.

Stidham, in all seriousness, would have been much better off coming here. While all these systems have similar elements, the nomenclature, the 1st and 2nd defensive reads and such are probably a little different.

I am hoping beyond hope that Monty saw that his personnel can handle the frenetic pace and different sets and that his QBs can make good throws and good reads. I was really impressed with Boomer on Saturday when he was given a chance to make plays. The defense Monty has returning next year has a chance to be one of the best ever at Tulsa. If you put your offense in a position to go out and score 28 points in the 1st half while your defense holds teams to 14 or fewer, you will win 90% of your games. Honestly, if Monty doesn't take his foot off the gas with 5 minutes left in the 1st half on Saturday, we may have scored 45 against the ponies. Seriously, that's the exact moment when Monty went back to the grind out the clock play-calling, right after SMU's first TD.

First we had a major change in defensive coaching with Norwood gone.

Second our depth and experience greatly increased from injured players last year and young guys being force to play.

Even given that we are unlikely to be a top 3 defense in the league next year. Cincy returns everybody and is already the best defense in the league. UCF will return a lot. Temple and USF are going to be good and Houston will be better even with out Ed Oliver just because they had so many injuries. Our defense is meh to average given that we traditionally have been an explosive offensive that should be more than enough to win a ton of games. Bill Young has more years coaching then many people on here have living. His coaching remains consitant.

We need similar change on the offense and according to results in the main game situation decision maker.
What statistic are we using to determine top defenses? Yards against or points against? I will always take the defense that gives up fewer points. Our defense is designed to keep everything in front which is why the passing yards against was one of the best in the league. Teams may only get FGs out of their drives but that should be enough with offensive capabilities.

FWIW, I think the defense next year will be top 3 in AAC if not the best.

Hey there’s nothing wrong with Natty! I drank more natty than water back in my day in the Pike house!

Keystone? Nah, I’m definitely a currs light kinda dude now. I blame goldenhurricane2 for that addiction. Back in the pike days...natty!

But “cool story” bro. Go away.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
He did used to regularly threaten to withhold his contributions based on some ridiculous demands. I wonder how that worked out.

Stantz was a different guy and a whole other level of crazy.

NCAA rules had Sunday night being the first time Coaches could get back on the road and see recruits. Monty was in a few recruits' homes on Sunday night.

Just a little FYI.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
What statistic are we using to determine top defenses? Yards against or points against? I will always take the defense that gives up fewer points. Our defense is designed to keep everything in front which is why the passing yards against was one of the best in the league. Teams may only get FGs out of their drives but that should be enough with offensive capabilities.

FWIW, I think the defense next year will be top 3 in AAC if not the best.

I like points per possession. Takes into account those schools running fast offenses where the defense is on the field for more possessions than say a ball control offense.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Ah, got it. My guess is they probably beat you too
Many times in intramurals or got the girl you couldn’t quite get. Poor fella.
Nah... We didn't associate with you rif raf. And we sure as hell didn't lose to you in intramurals. Only girl I knew who dated a pike ended up married to one of my brothers... go figure.

Nah... We didn't associate with you rif raf. And we sure as hell didn't lose to you in intramurals. Only girl I knew who dated a pike ended up married to one of my brothers... go figure.

Man. You’re pretty pathetic aren’t you? You’re so butthurt over a lot of things. I love your rif raf comment the best

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT