ADVERTISEMENT

when is the press conference?

Well I suppose after 6 or so it didn’t matter anymore. As long as it was cold and yellow, I’d drink it.
My biggest qualm with the other houses wasn't the beer differences. It was the beer pong rule differences. I saw some crap tendencies being brought from other houses. It's a gentleman's game, treat it like one.

Reactions: HuffyCane
My biggest qualm with the other houses wasn't the beer differences. It was the beer pong rule differences. I saw some crap tendencies being brought from other houses. It's a gentleman's game, treat it like one.

Went back to an alumni event a while back and it’s VERY different than we played. Each house had their “rules” though. Some were indeed weird

Our rules definitely got you the drunkest the fastest. Believe it or not it got so competitive as the night went along I almost saw a few fights break out hahaha

TU wasn't a Keystone Light school like OU and OSU were in the mid 2000s....luckily we had QT that ran specials on other beers.

TU wasn't a Keystone Light school like OU and OSU were in the mid 2000s....luckily we had QT that ran specials on other beers.
I'm not sure what most folks drank in some of the other houses... but I only saw Natty Light among the KA's that I can recall. I was there later than you though.

It's more about the sustained success. Listen, no one is happy with the results of the last two years. So much of it is on QB play. This year we literally had a better OL, better RBs and a better defense than we did in 2016. Yet, without high level QB play, it doesn't matter.

After Bill, Monty had a good amount of upperclassmen to work with. But the numbers were way down from Bill's last two recruiting classes. This happens a lot in coaching changes and is completely understandable.... It's not an indictment on Blank. The players that were there in those thin years of numbers were decent players. But after Dane, there was quite the drop off in QB talent. We all understand that Monty is a QB-guy and it was his job to find the replacement after Dane, and I am sure he takes responsibility for that.

But Now Monty has the overall numbers back up and we got a lot of good players at every position. WR needs improving. Seth played his best two games in the last two. Developed well, just needed to start since Game 1 to really see where he would be at. And what everyone knows is that Zach Smith will be eligible next year. Seth gives a viable competition in the offseason. Regardless of who will be the QB, you will either have an improved Seth Boomer, or a high level Zach Smith. And a good back up will be present.

Think about this, we will have 2 QBs on the roster next year that will be head and shoulders better than what TU has had in 2017 and 2018.

It's real simple, we dodge a bullet when Monty has two bad seasons when 2 big time jobs that would have snatched him up came open, Arkansas and Texas Tech. Monty will win 7-9 games next year and there might not be a job he wants.

Also think about this for those who think Monty is overpaid. He took a paycut and his salary is in the $1.2-$1.3m range.

1. They won't give him the budget to hire an OC. So that saves TU about $300K.

2. They haven't increased the budget for Football Ops since 2012 (Lowest in the conference by far). Monty took the salary pay cut to ensure the budget would not be cut. Also keep in mind that TU is dead last in facilities in the conference and it's not even close. TU would be in the middle of the pack with facilities in C-USA and Sun Belt. That's just facts. I have seen campuses in all conferences over the last 6 months. It's sad.

3. When TU added the 10th assistant last year, they didn't give Monty anymore $$$ to hire a guy. So if you read between the lines, it's not far fetched to see that Monty is subsidizing the 10th assistant.

So add it up, if you promote someone to OC and you pay the 10th assistant out of the budget, Monty is basically the TU head coach for about $850K-$900K.

And if he gets things rolling next year, that is a bargain.

-Austin Chadwick

I refer you to the capital gazette article about Navy for facilities and budget items.

I will also point out this is four years now of the QB excuse. Several schools in our conference have had grad transfer QBs come in. The coach has failed and it is on him.

Next year the schedule will be even harder and the chance of us having a 1 win season is high.

Houston will be better than us and likely competing for a ny6 bowl.

UCF will be better than us and likely competing for a ny6 bowl.

Cincy will be younger and better than us and likely competing for a ny6 bowl.

Memphis will be better than us.

Michigan St will be a monster next year and compete for a division and B1G championship.

OSU is likely a 9-10 win team next year.

Tulane continues to improve, just fired their OC because he wasn't getting it done, and has a bowl game to build on. Monty is .500 against them and lost the last two including an embarrassment last time in New Orleans.

Navy will be Navy and I doubt we will be favored.

SMU in Dallas is always tough on Tulsa, Dykes will be in his second year and their schedule isn't quite as tough.

Wyoming could be winnable at home, but they will bring back a good bit and are bowl eligible this year.

San Jose St is terrible but when was the last time we won on the road? A trip to Northern California isn't exactly a short one either.

ECU may have a new coach but definitely have a killer recruiting class and a freshman hometown QB lighting people up.

That's 8-10 losses and an 0-12 season is as likely as 8-9 wins. There is no evidence to support the claim that Monty will make it all better next year. His offensive trends have been down and we have been through three of his just wait for so and so QB's, it seems unlikely number four will be different.

Tulane continues to improve, just fired their OC because he wasn't getting it done, and has a bowl game to build on. Monty is .500 against them and lost the last two including an embarrassment last time in New Orleans.

But Tulane has all that state money coming in so they can afford to fire coaches!11!!!

And it's funny that Keystone is basically watered down Coors/Coors Light
Coors Lite was a backup... not enough difference for the slightly higher price.

I think I'd go...

Bud Light
Keystone / Coors Lite
PBR?
Natty Light.

But to be honest, it all got you drunk... so if you weren't buying it then who really cares right?

I refer you to the capital gazette article about Navy for facilities and budget items.

I will also point out this is four years now of the QB excuse. Several schools in our conference have had grad transfer QBs come in. The coach has failed and it is on him.

Next year the schedule will be even harder and the chance of us having a 1 win season is high.

Michigan St will be a monster next year and compete for a division and B1G championship.

SMU in Dallas is always tough on Tulsa, Dykes will be in his second year and their schedule isn't quite as tough.

Wyoming could be winnable at home, but they will bring back a good bit and are bowl eligible this year.

San Jose St is terrible but when was the last time we won on the road? A trip to Northern California isn't exactly a short one either.

ECU may have a new coach but definitely have a killer recruiting class and a freshman hometown QB lighting people up.

That's 8-10 losses and an 0-12 season is as likely as 8-9 wins. There is no evidence to support the claim that Monty will make it all better next year. His offensive trends have been down and we have been through three of his just wait for so and so QB's, it seems unlikely number four will be different.
Yeah. I think I'll take Austin's opinion over yours. You'll argue with anyone, no matter their expertise. I assume you know who Austin is, but it certainly isn't obvious from your post.

I know - but it just doesn’t work for me for some reason. I love me some coors.
This seems fitting for some reason.
giphy.gif

I think the three gurus of the HUNH offense may have figured out that, at the college level, it puts too much pressure on their own defense; the defense is just on the field too much.

you mean like back when all three were winning?

You had plenty of time to write the check to get this done, to make Monty gone. But you didn’t do it. I hold you personally responsible for our failure next year. I’m starting a jihad on you if we lose next year.

"Four years of QB excuses"? Huh? That doesn't make any sense.

Outside of that, I totally understand your opinion.
Let's go over your analysis on the teams. However, the schedule definitely does not get harder next year.

Houston: Houston loses 7 seniors and and 8th in Oliver on defense next year. Applewhite has not recruited near to the level of Herman and even Sumlin before then. We always play Houston well. Got them at home next year.

UCF: Loses 15 starters that were all Frost's guys. And their 4 best players. They will be talented, but they will definitely lose a handful of games next year.

Cincinnati: Started 7 Seniors on defense. Definitely a decent team coming into next year, they will not be a 10 win team like they were this year.

Memphis: Tigers will be decent, but definitely beatable. A lot like they were in 2016. Probably about like they were this year. I know Norvell well. Even though they make a conference final this year, they aren't happy with him in Memphis. Next year they ill be good offensively, but worse on defense.

Michigan State: Was awful this year, should have another loss to Utah State. They need a QB and there isn't one in sight yet. But that's a game we will probably lose.

OSU: Loss

Tulane: Better, but definitely not an 8-win Tulane team next year or anything like that. Depending on how TU starts, they will probably be favored.

ECU: Will be the worst team in the conference.

Navy: Needs a QB. Will get thumped by Army this weekend.

Here is the point I am making, TU will definitely have to play well. But keep in mind that in 2016, out of 13 games, TU was favored in 6 of them. Won 10.

The team overall will improve at every position except OL. And I ain't worried there because Bloesch is one of the best young coaches in the country at OL. Tulsa gave up 47 sacks this year. And when all counted up, 29 of them were on the QB/RB. But that doesn't matter. Nobody wants to hear excuses. On the bright side we return 9 starters on a good defense, 7 on offense, and the team has numbers, depth, etc.

If you have attended any scrimmages or practices, you will see the level that Zach Smith plays at. I've seen all QBs at TU, and Smith has the best arm talent since Gus Frerotte. Plain and simple. It's pretty special. Either he wins the job, or Boomer is good enough to win it.

I fully understand your concerns and that you think TU will be no good next year, I would be too if I hadn't seen Zach Smith or believed that Boomer can't continue his progression.

I thought Bill deserved a 5th year after two bad ones, but his contract was so cheap, it was easy to buy him out. I believe Monty deserves a 5th year and so much will hinge on the QB play. If they get good play, they will win 6-9 games next year, if not, they will win 3-5 games.
4-5 wins is the nightmare scenario.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
You had plenty of time to write the check to get this done, to make Monty gone. But you didn’t do it. I hold you personally responsible for our failure next year. I’m starting a jihad on you if we lose next year.

Let’s write checks to build an indoor facility. Like the ones that teams in our conference have had for nearly a decade.

Let's go over your analysis on the teams. However, the schedule definitely does not get harder next year.

Houston: Houston loses 7 seniors and and 8th in Oliver on defense next year. Applewhite has not recruited near to the level of Herman and even Sumlin before then. We always play Houston well. Got them at home next year.

UCF: Loses 15 starters that were all Frost's guys. And their 4 best players. They will be talented, but they will definitely lose a handful of games next year.

Cincinnati: Started 7 Seniors on defense. Definitely a decent team coming into next year, they will not be a 10 win team like they were this year.

Memphis: Tigers will be decent, but definitely beatable. A lot like they were in 2016. Probably about like they were this year. I know Norvell well. Even though they make a conference final this year, they aren't happy with him in Memphis. Next year they ill be good offensively, but worse on defense.

Michigan State: Was awful this year, should have another loss to Utah State. They need a QB and there isn't one in sight yet. But that's a game we will probably lose.

Tulane: Better, but definitely not an 8-win Tulane team next year or anything like that. Depending on how TU starts, they will probably be favored.

Here is the point I am making, TU will definitely have to play well. But keep in mind that in 2016, out of 13 games, TU was favored in 6 of them. Won 10.

The team overall will improve at every position except OL. And I ain't worried there because Bloesch is one of the best young coaches in the country at OL. Tulsa gave up 47 sacks this year. And when all counted up, 29 of them were on the QB/RB. But that doesn't matter. Nobody wants to hear excuses. On the bright side we return 9 starters on a good defense, 7 on offense, and the team has numbers, depth, etc.

If you have attended any scrimmages or practices, you will see the level that Zach Smith plays at. I've seen all QBs at TU, and Smith has the best arm talent since Gus Frerotte. Plain and simple. It's pretty special. Either he wins the job, or Boomer is good enough to win it.

I fully understand your concerns and that you think TU will be no good next year, I would be too if I hadn't seen Zach Smith or believed that Boomer can't continue his progression.

I thought Bill deserved a 5th year after two bad ones, but his contract was so cheap, it was easy to buy him out. I believe Monty deserves a 5th year and so much will hinge on the QB play. If they get good play, they will win 6-9 games next year, if not, they will win 3-5 games.

Our coach knew coming in when Dane Evans would be graduating. He has had four years to recruit a QB and we are hoping a transfer who had one good game at the college level will be our savior. Never mind that our play calling leaves a lot to be desired and we have a coach who is something like 5-16 in games decided by 8 points or less.

Houston returns virtually everyone on offense and will be the favorites in the west. Their defense has been injured (nearly every defensive lineman in particular) and gained a ton of experience. They will be better next year not worse.

UCF has been leading the league in recruiting and have a ton of young talent who have seen the field. They have three senior starters on offense and five on defense. It's unlikely they step back as the program has been fairly successful for a decade and shows no negative signs from the coaching change.

Cincy has four seniors on a top defense and four on offense in there two deep. They are mostly freshman and sophmores and will be a monster next year.

Memphis has 7 seniors in there two deep and will be loaded next year. They lost two wtf games to Tulane and Navy in the rain. Otherwise they're a ten win team again this year. They will be better next year.

Tulane just keeps improving every year and had they beat wake in overtime to open this year would be sitting with 7 wins right now. 8 is very possible as is a third victory in a row against Monty.

Michigan State is always at least decent and QB is their only true question mark. They are still better than Arkansas this year.

OSU will probably be very similar to Texas this year.

Wyoming is probably a little worse than Arkansas St. was this year.

San Jose St is on the road and probably better than an FCS team.

Our schedule is definitely harder and considering our road record under this current coach I have little faith in wins against SJSU or an ECU team that put it on UNC. We always play poorly vs SMU on the road and we got ambushed and beaten badly last time in New Orleans.

I just strongly disagree our problem is QB play to start with. It's coaching decisions. It's quiting in Arkansas, Temple, and Navy games.

Aww you're trying to be cute and deflect from just how much money this decision could cost Tulsa in the long run.

The nightmare scenario is firing him five winless games into the season, having an interim, slim future options and an apathetic fanbase who won't respond.

I blame people who make excuses for people who have horrible job evaluations. He won more games in either of his first two seasons than the total he has won with his players the last two years.

We just completely disagree on this. It happens.

I don't believe that's accurate.

Tulsa -4 San Jose State
Tulsa -31.5 NCA&T
Tulsa -14.5 Fresno State
Tulsa -16 SMU
Tulsa -10.5 Tulane
Tulsa -10 ECU
Tulsa -23 Cincinnati
Tulsa -12 Central Michigan

Reactions: JesseTU
Aww you're trying to be cute and deflect from just how much money this decision could cost Tulsa in the long run.

The nightmare scenario is firing him five winless games into the season, having an interim, slim future options and an apathetic fanbase who won't respond.

I blame people who make excuses for people who have horrible job evaluations. He won more games in either of his first two seasons than the total he has won with his players the last two years.

We just completely disagree on this. It happens.
I actually don’t think we disagree. I just don’t whine incessantly about things that can’t be changed. And I’m not histrionic. But that’s a personality difference not a disagreement.

I actually don’t think we disagree. I just don’t whine incessantly about things that can’t be changed. And I’m not histrionic. But that’s a personality difference not a disagreement.

Oh? Perhaps you don't know the definition of disagreement, much as you didn't for jihad?

You believe this is the best scenario for this program.

I know it is not.

The issue is the athletic director who thinks being a good person is the evaluation criteria for a coach not wins and losses.

Oh? Perhaps you don't know the definition of disagreement, much as you didn't for jihad?

You believe this is the best scenario for this program.

I know it is not.

The issue is the athletic director who thinks being a good person is the evaluation criteria for a coach not wins and losses.
I know it’s THE situation no matter how much we whine about it.

Whether it’s the best situation depends on what the alternatives are. We’d all love a $500m donation and to hire Nick Saban. But what are the real alternatives? I suspect if we ponied up to fire Monty we’d end up with someone even less qualified and on a longer contract. That I think is even worse in both regards. So of the available options this is probably the best. Sometimes life gives you the choice of two bad alternatives and you have to suck it up and move forward. It’s called being a grown up. You can gnash your teeth and curse the gods about cruel fate, and dream bitterly of the glory just beyond our grasp but it won’t change the real options we have. Making decisions without maturely understanding the alternatives on the other side is a recipe for bad decisions.

I’ve said over and over that I think the athletic director is where all the problems start. That’s where the first change should happen. Firing Monty while Gragg is charge is useless.

I know it’s THE situation no matter how much we whine about it.

Whether it’s the best situation depends on what the alternatives are. We’d all love a $500m donation and to hire Nick Saban. But what are the real alternatives? I suspect if we ponied up to fire Monty we’d end up with someone even less qualified and on a longer contract. That I think is even worse in both regards. So of the available options this is probably the best. Sometimes life gives you the choice of two bad alternatives and you have to suck it up and move forward. It’s called being a grown up. You can gnash your teeth and curse the gods about cruel fate, and dream bitterly of the glory just beyond our grasp but it won’t change the real options we have. ]Makin decisions without maturely understanding the alternatives on the other side is a recipe for bad decisions.

I’ve said over and over that I think the athletic director is where all the problems start. That’s where the first change should happen. Firing Monty while Gragg is charge is useless.

I see so you're a fortune teller now?

We don't know what's in the future, it could be worse so keep taking the bad?

We know what we get with Monty. We know other people have been here, succeeded immeaditly in far worse situations, and then sustained that success.

I'll take my chances and toss the dice. How much worse can it get? We lose every game? That's not much of a step down.

Reactions: maverickfp
I keep hearing the number 4 in these posts.

That’s how many years Monty has had.

That’s probably our likely win total next year without any changes on this offensive staff.

Reactions: maverickfp

Good post. I don't think everything that went poorly this year is on the QB position though. Boomer showed he is capable of running a quicker pace, being accurate, etc. when the defense can't tee off because they know every play that is coming. I gushed over the 2 TE sets on Saturday because it is not something we've seen at all this year. Deep slants and crosses. 1st time all year for a lot of those routes. WRs holding onto balls.Simply put, the play calling was at a level to keep the defense off balance. That is the part that needs to be there next year. A lot of us firmly believe there is plenty of talent at the skilled positions to score 30-35 ppg. With the defense that is returning, that should be good enough for 6-7 wins and possibly more if they get a break in some of those other games.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I would probably agree.

My issue with the QB is that I've heard the same thing for three, now going on four years.

Not that Dane wasn't going to start his SR year but everyone was gushing over the backups and how great they were in practice.

Then Dane left, we've been through 3 QB's, all of whom were the next great thing before they played a down, and we're sitting on 5 wins in 2 years.

I'm not laying it on the QB's themselves. I've seen all but the new guy in practice or scrimmages. President was the only one I never thought "had it."
My concern is that after 3 QB's, we didn't see improvement in the QB play until the final game this year.

Either we're not recruiting the right guys for the system or, don't know how to develop them... I'm thinking it's the latter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT