ADVERTISEMENT

Week 14 Bowl Projections

Myrtle Beach was miserable a few weeks ago when I was there. Highs in the 50s and rainy
Today it is sunny and 68. You can never predict the weather but give me the ocean over the metroplex any day.

Sources tell me Tulsa has been offered a spot in the Frisco Bowl and the Myrtle Beach Bowl.
The Frisco Bowl makes a lot of sense!!!! It's what I've thought would be the case from the time we became bowl eligible.

GO TU!!!

Last edited:
Today it is sunny and 68. You can never predict the weather but give me the ocean over the metroplex any day.
I was playing golf in the cold and rain so it wasn't all bad. For anyone who plays golf and might plan on playing there if TU ends up in that game, Pawley's Plantation is a must play. Jack Nicklaus design, GREAT, fair layout, and the staff was just incredibly nice and accommodating. Also, there is a fantastic pitch and putt course at the east end of the airport. We played in about an hour before we had to be at the airport to fly out.

Yahoo is all over the place. They're now predicting Vs. Ball State in the quick lane bowl

• Sad
Reactions: TU 1978
Most sites I have seen have Ball State left out. They have 6 tie-ins and 8 eligible teams. We have 7 slots to be able to fill and 7 teams that are eligible.

Most sites I have seen have Ball State left out. They have 6 tie-ins and 8 eligible teams. We have 7 slots to be able to fill and 7 teams that are eligible.
Some are thinking Liberty will be left out since they are independent and no bowl tie-ins.

Reactions: loca2874
I was playing golf in the cold and rain so it wasn't all bad. For anyone who plays golf and might plan on playing there if TU ends up in that game, Pawley's Plantation is a must play. Jack Nicklaus design, GREAT, fair layout, and the staff was just incredibly nice and accommodating. Also, there is a fantastic pitch and putt course at the east end of the airport. We played in about an hour before we had to be at the airport to fly out.
Did you play Caledonia and True Blue? I play in MB quite a bit and their are plenty of great courses in the area which I can post later. If we go there it is an easy drive for me from RTP.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Some are thinking Liberty will be left out since they are independent and no bowl tie-ins.
Interestingly (or not), Liberty has like 100,000 students in their online program plus whatever number is on campus. I don't know if any of them ever go to sporting events but you need a pretty small percentage of 100,000 to add up...

Did you play Caledonia and True Blue? I play in MB quite a bit and their are plenty of great courses in the area which I can post later. If we go there it is an easy drive for me from RTP.
We played True Blue. It was wetter and colder that day so there wasn't much roll on the fairways and it is a long course even playing middle tees vs the tips. The last 3 holes at True Blue were a freaking bear. My friend won a trip to MB so we went and pretty much all expenses paid except for the golf. He wanted to play a Nicklaus course and a top 100 course and the TB/Caledonia are in the top 100 places you can play. I just enjoyed Pawley's a lot. Nicklaus likes to pay homage to classic courses in his designs so you play some holes that are reminiscent of Augusta and St. Andrews. Pawley's seems to have a lot of holes that look and play like Muirfield Village. A lot of waste areas in the South Carolina courses too. I think the starter at True Blue told us there are no actual marked bunkers on the course...everything plays as a waste area so you can ground your club if you want....but there's also fewer rakes and they typically only put them near the green side sandy areas. True Blue was also weird because the wind was blowing 25-30 mph all day. And it seemed like every hole went into the wind as it swirled in the pines. I'd like to go back and bring my family. There seemed to be some interesting things to do around MB and I noticed Oak Island (from The Curse of Oak Island) is only about a 40 minute drive north in NC. The hard part of South Carolina is the interstate systems don't travel along the coast and the places tourists would actually want to go so getting to Charleston is a bear and travelling along the coast is on state roads with lights and intersections so somewhat slow. And it's weird...MB has an "international" airport and I'm sure that's because the closest other actual airports are 2 hrs away (Charleston), 2 hr 45 min to Columbia, and 3 hrs 15 min to Charlotte.

If you ever go to Orlando and have time to play golf, check out the courses at the Grand Cypress resort. Nicklaus designed and the newest one is called "The New Course" and replicates many of the holes at St. Andrews including exact design replicas of the 1st and 18th holes. That course was a lot of fun to play.

The team and the administration isn’t deciding anything. ESPN in consultation with the league office makes the decision. TU can and does solicit around but make no mistake, if it isn’t Frisco it has nothing to do with the admin or Montgomery or the team. ESPN will put us in Frisco if that’s what they want. The league tries to avoid giving extra games in recruiting footprints. That was true with Miami and it will be true this time too.

I just saw Myrtle Beach is at 230 pm on a Monday. Nobody will be watching other than some of us.

We played True Blue. It was wetter and colder that day so there wasn't much roll on the fairways and it is a long course even playing middle tees vs the tips. The last 3 holes at True Blue were a freaking bear. My friend won a trip to MB so we went and pretty much all expenses paid except for the golf. He wanted to play a Nicklaus course and a top 100 course and the TB/Caledonia are in the top 100 places you can play. I just enjoyed Pawley's a lot. Nicklaus likes to pay homage to classic courses in his designs so you play some holes that are reminiscent of Augusta and St. Andrews. Pawley's seems to have a lot of holes that look and play like Muirfield Village. A lot of waste areas in the South Carolina courses too. I think the starter at True Blue told us there are no actual marked bunkers on the course...everything plays as a waste area so you can ground your club if you want....but there's also fewer rakes and they typically only put them near the green side sandy areas. True Blue was also weird because the wind was blowing 25-30 mph all day. And it seemed like every hole went into the wind as it swirled in the pines. I'd like to go back and bring my family. There seemed to be some interesting things to do around MB and I noticed Oak Island (from The Curse of Oak Island) is only about a 40 minute drive north in NC. The hard part of South Carolina is the interstate systems don't travel along the coast and the places tourists would actually want to go so getting to Charleston is a bear and travelling along the coast is on state roads with lights and intersections so somewhat slow. And it's weird...MB has an "international" airport and I'm sure that's because the closest other actual airports are 2 hrs away (Charleston), 2 hr 45 min to Columbia, and 3 hrs 15 min to Charlotte.

If you ever go to Orlando and have time to play golf, check out the courses at the Grand Cypress resort. Nicklaus designed and the newest one is called "The New Course" and replicates many of the holes at St. Andrews including exact design replicas of the 1st and 18th holes. That course was a lot of fun to play.

No kidding about those roads. We were in Fayetteville NC a few weeks ago and drove to Myrtle for an afternoon, I must have taken 10 different state highways to get there.

We did happen upon Pinehurst on one of our drives. Out in the middle of nowhere but very, very nice. It was like going back in time. I hear you can play a round for about $450.

No kidding about those roads. We were in Fayetteville NC a few weeks ago and drove to Myrtle for an afternoon, I must have taken 10 different state highways to get there.

We did happen upon Pinehurst on one of our drives. Out in the middle of nowhere but very, very nice. It was like going back in time. I hear you can play a round for about $450.
Yeah, I was going to drive down from Raleigh on one business trip and play but the cost and amount of time away from the training I was supposed to be at would have been detrimental to my wallet and career. I ended up playing a nice course over in Chapel Hill instead. Pinehurst is definitely on my bucket list of places to play though.

The team and the administration isn’t deciding anything. ESPN in consultation with the league office makes the decision. TU can and does solicit around but make no mistake, if it isn’t Frisco it has nothing to do with the admin or Montgomery or the team. ESPN will put us in Frisco if that’s what they want. The league tries to avoid giving extra games in recruiting footprints. That was true with Miami and it will be true this time too.

I thought the bowls preferred regional matchups in order to sell a few more tickets. Is that not the case?

I thought the bowls preferred regional matchups in order to sell a few more tickets. Is that not the case?
From what I have read they try to make them regional for ticket sales but like was mentioned earlier ESPN has a hold of some of the Bowls especially those of the American and they havea say on what would be a better matchup and where to put them. ESPN has a huge say in this.

Maybe it’s like Huffy says - people in the stands don’t matter, only TV viewers. Of course, cities hosting bowls used to like the additional tourism.

Maybe it’s like Huffy says - people in the stands don’t matter, only TV viewers. Of course, cities hosting bowls used to like the additional tourism.
Would be interesting to know the relative value of each butt in seat versus viewer. I'd guess maybe each in person attendee is worth maybe 1,000 more TV viewers? But I'm sure the bowl organizers assume that they're not having many people no matter where they put it. Hell, we wouldn't have a big crowd if it were in Skelly, the difference between Dallas and Florida is probably no more than a couple hundred people.

Yeah, I was going to drive down from Raleigh on one business trip and play but the cost and amount of time away from the training I was supposed to be at would have been detrimental to my wallet and career. I ended up playing a nice course over in Chapel Hill instead. Pinehurst is definitely on my bucket list of places to play though.
OT unless we go to MB Bowl. I live in the RTP area and go to both Pinehurst, MB and Charleston to play regularly. A couple of things the drive to MB via 95 has gotten better with the completion of the Interstate most of the from 95 to MB. If you can’t get good flights into MB try Wilmington NC (2 hours). You mentioned Charleston as an option. Also check out RDU (4 hours) and Charlotte (maybe a little longer) as both will offer more options. Golf courses to consider in MB - Glen Dornoch (my favorite is in NMB), Caledonia (south of MB), 2 big golf resorts are the Legends (3 course) and Barefoot Landing (4 courses) give you good options at reasonable prices. The Legends isn’t far from Conway where the game will be played at CCU campus. As much as it would be nice easy travel for me to go to MB I hope the team gets a P5 team in First Responder or Birmingham.

Reactions: TU65alum
I have a headache now. The only thing I came away is that 7 will go into 7 one time.

If it hasn’t already been posted on here, Tulsa is definitely going to a bowl. They sent out emails late yesterday announcing that. Obviously the big question is where. No answer on that so far.

since we finished ahead of smu in the conference standing, do we get to choose our bowl before them.

The 1981 TU team, coached by John Cooper was 10-1 and did not get a Bowl bid. That team beat OSU in Tulsa and Kansas in Lawrence. The only loss was to Arkansas. There were only 16 Bowl Games at that time. The Bowls were interested in teams that would bring fans. ESPN was a new thing at that time.

The worst example of a non-bowl team was the 1963 Pitt Panthers. Pitt was 9-1 that year. The loss was a close game to Navy quarterbacked by Roger Staubach. Navy was number 1 that year. Pitt was ranked 2nd and 3rd depending on the poll. Several things conspired to keep Pitt out of a Bowl. 1.) The Bowls were all in the South except for the Rose and Liberty. At that time the Liberty Bowl was played in Philadelphia. The Rose Bowl was limited to Big 10 vs PAC 8. The Southern Bowls did not want to host black players. Pittsburgh had a bad image with the Southern Bowls because in 1956 Pitt integrated the Sugar Bowl. They played Georgia Tech in that game. The Governor of Georgia filed for a Court injunction to stop Georgia Tech from playing in the game. The injunction was never served on Georgia Tech. In 1956 and 1963 Pittsburgh had black players, including star halfback Eric Crabtree. 2.) The Kennedy Assassination. Pitt had a game scheduled with Penn State that weekend. The Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowls were interested in Pitt but afraid to invite Pitt because they thought Pitt would lose to Penn State. The game (Pitt and Penn State) was scheduled a week later but the Cotton and Orange picked other teams. Pitt beat Penn State. I also believe that those Bowls might have asked Pitt to leave the black players at home. 3.) There were only 8 bowl games in 1963. 4.) Pitt like the major Eastern teams: Penn State, Syracuse, Army, Navy, Boston College, West Virginia were independents and not tied to a conference.

I was born and raised in Western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. I attended several of the Pitt games in 1963 and did not understand how such a fine team could be excluded because of race. I was only 15 years that year. Three years later I enrolled at Pitt as a Freshman and earned by BA degree from that fine school. After Pitt I came to Tulsa for Law School at TU. I am proud of both of my schools.

1963 was only 58 years ago. It seems like it was back in the pre-Civil War days after I unraveled it.

Last edited:
The TU 1982 team did beat OSU in Tulsa and Kansas in Lawrence. Beating OSU was not looked at as a big deal for the rest of the country. OSU and also Kansas State were for years two of the worst football programs around. The Big 8 was looked at as OU and Nebraska and 6 also rans. The Kansas win at Lawrence was a little bigger deal. I attended that game and thought Tulsa handled Kansas well.

The TU 1982 team did beat OSU in Tulsa and Kansas in Lawrence. Beating OSU was not looked at as a big deal for the rest of the country. OSU and also Kansas State were for years two of the worst football programs around. The Big 8 was looked at as OU and Nebraska and 6 also rans. The Kansas win at Lawrence was a little bigger deal. I attended that game and thought Tulsa handled Kansas well.

Bob Hope was also at that Kansas game.

Reactions: TU Pablo Jr
He had a show at the Phog that night. They brought him out onto the field in a golf cart at half time, golf club in hand.
I was probably at the concession stand at half time. Good recall. I remember driving up and back with my wife. We had been married about two weeks and had just returned from our honeymoon. We were married a little over 30 years before her death in January 2013. She and I went to a lot of away TU football and basketball games. The best was Notre Dame and the NCAA in Austin. I have not made any of those trips since. The lower level bowls do not excite me. I will watch the games, however.

I am interested in how Pitt's bowling goes. My undergraduate degree is from that school with my law degree from TU. Pitt and TU have never played in any sport. My best friend from high school was the Pitt Chancellor (he is now retired). Several TU fans told me I should approach my old friend and attempt to broker a football deal. I never did.

Reactions: Tu Geo
McMurrphy is now reporting that the new bowl will also be in Frisco.

He has Air Force/Missouri in the original Frisco Bowl and has moved Tulsa/North Texas to the new Frisco Bowl, date tba.

And Todd Graham gets a $10k bonus for making a bowl game.

Update: I misinterpreted what I was told and it’s between Myrtle Beach Bowl and First Responder Bowl.
I wonder if it is First Responder if UC gets in the playoff and MB if they don’t?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT