Action Sports (McMurphy) - Myrtle Beach Bowl vs Old Dominion

Yahoo Sports - Frisco Bowl vs Boise State

Pro Football Network.com - Hawaii Bowl vs Wyoming

Sports Illustrated - none

College Sports Madness - Cure Bowl vs UTEP

DRatings.com - Birmingham Bowl vs South Carolina

Saturday Down South - 1st Responder Bowl vs Missouri

Last edited:
The Hawaii bowl should be quite an experience playing here.

rainbow-track.png

Did they implode the Aloha stadium
This is news to me
Should be a sellout ha

Perhaps they should play the Hawaii bowl at the new union redhawks stadium

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
we played 3 team in the playoff hunt and huston not far away. what 6-6 or even 7-5 team can match that?

To quote an article,

Just when it seemed like there would be a whole lot of bowl openings, Tulsa shocked SMU to get eligible, LSU and Florida won to give the SEC 13 out of its 14 teams to six wins, and now there are too many teams for the slots.

The article’s tone may be the attitude that we were the last team to ‘qualify’ and may be out of luck. Time will tell if that is true.

To quote an article,

Just when it seemed like there would be a whole lot of bowl openings, Tulsa shocked SMU to get eligible, LSU and Florida won to give the SEC 13 out of its 14 teams to six wins, and now there are too many teams for the slots.

The article’s tone may be the attitude that we were the last team to ‘qualify’ and may be out of luck. Time will tell if that is true.
It doesn’t matter what does is tie-ins. Liberty is the one without tie-ins.

To quote an article,

There’s a very short list of 6-6 G5 teams still available. One of these is likely to be left out:

Tulsa
Old Dominion
North Texas
Miami O
Ball State
Wyoming

The tie-in agreements are pretty complex, but it does appear that the AAC has enough slots for all eligible teams.

I’m guessing we may not hear until after the Cincinnati-Houston game.
Cincinnati making the playoffs or Houston pulling the upset could have a trickle down effect on our bowl location.

I’m guessing we may not hear until after the Cincinnati-Houston game.
Cincinnati making the playoffs or Houston pulling the upset could have a trickle down effect on our bowl location.
If that’s true we might need Cinnabon (auto correct error but I like it better) to win? To open up a slot?

I promised myself I would be stepping back from the boards to focus on some personal commitments. But I also told myself I would chime in when I saw nonsense.

The stuff about TU being left out is click bait. Though Dickson getting a late start doesn’t help.

As it has been explained to me, the AAC has oversight over the bids negotiated by the school as they contact the various bowls. In our case, based on how we finished, most of our bowl possibilities are controlled by ESPN’s bowl broadcast entity which owns those bowls. These choices are limited by our conference tie-ins with those bowls which is contractual in nature and also governed by the AAC charter. Normally, most of them must accept an available AAC team that is otherwise available. So we may not go where we want to, but at the end of the day, the AAC has the ability to step in and make sure we have a spot before they approve a bowl taking a non AAC team to appear in the bowl in place of the AAC. Which could happen, but that would be an extraordinary event, would only happen with the school’s consent, and there would be a significant monetary pay out unless the school agreed to appear in another bowl with the consent of the conference. If the conference tried to sell or transfer the right for TU to appear in a bowl with an AAC tie in without TU’s consent, that would be a violation of the conference charter as well as the tie in agreements. Depending on the facts, TU might have legal recourse against the schools that actually appeared in the bowl instead of us. For that to happen ESPN would have to go along with that, which would cause all of the other conferences and schools to immediately call into question the reliability of their tie ins. Something ESPN wouldn’t be willing to risk.

So is there a chance TU isn’t going to a bowl? It’s a small chance almost too small to measure. The Gasparilla bowl has been courting UF and Miami which could fill Tampa’s NFL stadium if two of those teams met. It’s possible the conference could sell the AAC spot (probably going to be UCF) to allow UF into the bowl. The conference would get a substantial pay day and TU would get a share of that. TU would likely have to consent to that. That’s the only plausible “No Bowl For TU” scenario I’ve seen out there but this stuff changes by the hour and Gasparilla might already be set by now who knows.

I will say that I do know from off campus reliable sources with long ties to the program that TU will obviously focus on Dallas but there’s interest from two other bowls. The league probably doesn’t want to take complaints from other schools how we get an extra game in our recruiting footprint for going 6-6.

The Myrtle Beach Bowl versus Coastal Carolina sounds tasty and something the TV people would like. I’ll go with that one. Maybe New Mexico. Maybe. This will all change several times between now and Sunday I’m sure.

There’s a very short list of 6-6 G5 teams still available. One of these is likely to be left out:

Tulsa
Old Dominion
North Texas
Miami O
Ball State
Wyoming

The tie-in agreements are pretty complex, but it does appear that the AAC has enough slots for all eligible teams.
None of these other schools has anything more than we do. I can't imagine a bowl pushing for them over us. There are fewer than 600,000 people in the whole state of Wyoming.

I would go for Myrtle Beach if that was the choice, a much better vacation spot than Frisco.

Reactions: loca2874
As a TV watcher I would always prefer a p5 opponent. If that is not in the cards, the better tv slot. Or let the players vote on it.

No way I spend money to travel to a bowl game considering our giving in to sustained mediocrity though. Against my principles.

Fans can go to the Frisco
Sure. If you are comfortable spending extra money on this program that has institutionalized mediocrity that is your choice. I would fear it sends the wrong message. I went to 2 of our 3 Armed Forces bowls plus the Fresno Liberty bowl game but no way this time.

To each his own.

It will be TV for me. My preferences assume TV watching.

Reactions: TU 1978
Guessing the coaches/players are going to pick the nice destination over the destination that’s easy for fans like they did back in 2016. They may not be aware we actually have fans based on this year’s attendance
+good for them. I said a player vote seemed like a good way to pick if the opponent was not an important factor.

I'd take a trip to Frisco to see us play Boise State. Seriously, they should get IKEA to be the sponsor of that game since it's about 2 miles away.

Reactions: TU83
I'd take a trip to Frisco to see us play Boise State. Seriously, they should get IKEA to be the sponsor of that game since it's about 2 miles away.
Boise State would make this interesting as does ikea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT