ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WCQ Thread

Pulisic would have a secondary assist on Chelsea's first goal if they awarded them. Keeps ball alive in the box and gets it to Havertz who feeds Kovacic. Not a super strike or anything but it found the back of the net. Chelsea up 1-0 24th minute.

And Pulisic is subbed out in the 75th minute. He had some good chances in the box but couldn’t get a shot off. Good to see him on the pitch though.

Reactions: TU_BLA
And Pulisic is subbed out in the 75th minute. He had some good chances in the box but couldn’t get a shot off. Good to see him on the pitch though.
He was dangerous as usual when he had the ball on his foot. His best look at goal got closed down by some really good defending and I think he was looking to pull the ball back out and reset a chance for someone else.

His assist on Havertz' goal led to his game winner. About 18 yards out, spins away from a double team, dribbles once & slots to Havertz who scores. They beat RB Salzburg 2-1 to advance to the Ch Lg knockout round.

Also advancing to the knockout round was Dortmund. Gio Reyna scored 3 days ago (his 1st this season) & got about 65 min. Starts again today vs Man City in the Ch Lg (0-0) & gets around 65 minutes also. The boy is back!

McKennie also scored a late goal for Juventus against Benfica. It made the score 4-3 and probably made the last 13 minutes a bit nervy for Benfica and their fans

The more things change, ......... Beer?halter is at it again. He's called up some MLS guys for a pre- WC camp whose season is over. Slonina, A. Long, Zimmerman, Yedlin, Shaq Moore, Roldan, Arriola & J. Morris. These will train with some MLS U-20's. And more MLS to be named when they are out of play-offs. Unbelievable! The final 26 is still to be named on 11/09. Uh oh!

The more things change, ......... Beer?halter is at it again. He's called up some MLS guys for a pre- WC camp whose season is over. Slonina, A. Long, Zimmerman, Yedlin, Shaq Moore, Roldan, Arriola & J. Morris. These will train with some MLS U-20's. And more MLS to be named when they are out of play-offs. Unbelievable! The final 26 is still to be named on 11/09. Uh oh!
Again, this camp is being billed more as a conditioning camp for those MLS players whose teams have been knocked out of the playoffs. Most of the Euro contingent is still playing meaningful matches in their domestic leagues as well as their UEFA Champions or Europa leagues. Out of that group I would only expect Zimmerman as a shoe in for the final roster. I expect Yedlin, Morris, and Ferreira to be brought along as well although we can do better than Morris and Ferreira. I like Yedlin as a player and think he's versatile enough to actually play either fullback spot. Unfortunately I think Berhalter is going to hitch his fortunes to the CB pairing of Zimmerman and Long and that will doom us and hopefully Berhalter as well.

Really amateur move. It's like he doesn't even have a clue.

Again, this camp is being billed more as a conditioning camp for those MLS players whose teams have been knocked out of the playoffs. Most of the Euro contingent is still playing meaningful matches in their domestic leagues as well as their UEFA Champions or Europa leagues. Out of that group I would only expect Zimmerman as a shoe in for the final roster. I expect Yedlin, Morris, and Ferreira to be brought along as well although we can do better than Morris and Ferreira. I like Yedlin as a player and think he's versatile enough to actually play either fullback spot. Unfortunately I think Berhalter is going to hitch his fortunes to the CB pairing of Zimmerman and Long and that will doom us and hopefully Berhalter as well.
I hope your right, that he is just temporarily filling spots for the players still playing in Europe. If he considers this a bonafide tryout, then we may have a problem.

Long is a disaster.

Leeds Utd. with A and A beat Liverpool yesterday. Maybe extended Marsch's tenure at Leeds a few more weeks. Fulham with Ream & Robinson tied 0-0 at Everton. CP gets another start with Chelsea. However, they go on the road to Brighton (their new coach's old club) and get smacked, 4-1.

Could we use a good centerback on the MNT? Ha! Erik Palmer-Brown starts every week for Troyes in the top French league. Yesterday, he did well vs PSG in Paris but his team got beat 4-3 after goals by Messi, MBappe & Neymar. He was involved in only one of the four given up.

Will Beer?halter consider him for Qatar? My guess is no. Carter-Vickers, either.

Pulisic played pretty well, especially early but he also blew a great chance and missed an open net that would have brought the score back to 2-1 midway through the 1st half. Teams in the EPL should not sleep on Brighton. For the last 3 years they've been stout defensively and earned enough points to maintain their EPL status. This season they've added some offense and will cause all the top teams problems.

I can't believe I'm beginning to obsess over Tim Ream. This dude's career has been revived at Fulham. Team Captain and regular starter in the premier league. I've watched him & Robinson a lot this season and they are both solid on Fulham's back line and work together very well.

But it's doubtful Beer?halter will call him up. Here's a couple stats from Fulham's last match: Tim Ream: 92% passing accuracy; 10 of 15 balls into the final 3rd; 1 block......... Wait!, that sounds like someone perfect to be the engine for Beer?halter's "system". Or maybe he just uses this as an excuse to prefer certain guys, his favorites, over others. Or maybe knowing the system is most important. More important than other players being in great form but not necessarily knowing the system. It's driving me crazy.

As for Jedi, 88% passing, but to no one's surprise, only 2 of 10 crosses.
Multiple sources claiming Ream has been named to the team.

Chris Richards just posted that he is out of the WC with an injury. I'm not sure he would have started this cycle...maybe that's Ream if he is indeed being included.

That SUCKS.
Almost assuredly means Long will be part of the team which sucks way more than not having Richards because knowing Berhalter, he'll want to start Long over Ream and that is just pure insanity and Berhalter will come up with some BS excuse like "Well Aaron and Zimm have played more as a unit back there for us and that means a lot in these games". Sorry Gregg, just because they've played together back there doesn't mean they were good...matter of fact, they were a disaster

No Pepi, but Haji Wright is in the squad. (this guy has 9 goals in the Turkish League). Ferreria, Jordan Morris, Pulisic, Sargent (very happy for this guy), Reyna (same thing) and Tim Weah are the forwards. Huffy's sources were right: Tim Ream will team with Jedi and probably Walker Zimmerman along with Dest. On the other hand, Aaron Long (Beer?halter says he has "earned it"), Shaq Moore-huh?, Joe Scally-might work, Yedlin & Zimmerman are the back line.

Midfielders are Aaronson, Adams, Luca de la Torre (what a wasted pick), C. Roldan (another wasted pick?), Acosta (of course), Musah & McKinnie. Finally, goalies are Ethan Horvath, Matt Turner and Sean Johnson (every time I see this guy he gets bombed).

And Beer?halter & his staff have a plan. They've been planning and planning. In fact, his staff has a saying: "here's the plan, now make it a better plan". However, when you go into battle, in the first 5 minutes the plan is out the window. We'll see how his plan goes in a few days now that the troops are set.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
It’s like they’re throwing away this cup and hoping the youngsters mature more in four years. Since North America is hosting in 2026 do the US, Canada and Mexico all automatically qualify? If so how many spots will concacaf have?

It’s like they’re throwing away this cup and hoping the youngsters mature more in four years. Since North America is hosting in 2026 do the US, Canada and Mexico all automatically qualify? If so how many spots will concacaf have?
They are also expanding the field to 48 teams for 2026 so every region is getting more qualifiers in.

No Pepi, but Haji Wright is in the squad. (this guy has 9 goals in the Turkish League). Ferreria, Jordan Morris, Pulisic, Sargent (very happy for this guy), Reyna (same thing) and Tim Weah are the forwards. Huffy's sources were right: Tim Ream will team with Jedi and probably Walker Zimmerman along with Dest. On the other hand, Aaron Long (Beer?halter says he has "earned it"), Shaq Moore-huh?, Joe Scally-might work, Yedlin & Zimmerman are the back line.

Midfielders are Aaronson, Adams, Luca de la Torre (what a wasted pick), C. Roldan (another wasted pick?), Acosta (of course), Musah & McKinnie. Finally, goalies are Ethan Horvath, Matt Turner and Sean Johnson (every time I see this guy he gets bombed).

And Beer?halter & his staff have a plan. They've been planning and planning. In fact, his staff has a saying: "here's the plan, now make it a better plan". However, when you go into battle, in the first 5 minutes the plan is out the window. We'll see how his plan goes in a few days now that the troops are set.
That roster is just gross. Sad that we’re wasting Pulisic’s best years like this.

Just b/c they're in the 26 does t mean they ever see the field. Isn't the game day roster limited to 23 players, 20 field players plus 3 GKs? That said, I don't know much about Haji. I would have preferred to see Pefok in there. As for Roldan, I'm ok with him. He's a glue guy and is one of those players you want on the field late if you're trying to nurse a lead to the end. He might also be one of those "in case of emergency" players. I do think our MF players are strong and as Taylor Twellman said, our Forwards are loaded with speed and will present problems for teams. I wonder if we'll see Pulisic wave off Berhalter's suggestion in how they play (a la Greg Harrington to Buzz Peterson).

I think the one sure thing right now is Matt Turner will start in goal for the US. The exclusion of Steffen almost guarantees that.

I think it a perfectly fine roster.

If we suck it won't be due to the roster.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Pefok hasn’t scored in like 15 straight matches. Serious dry spell.

Wright is scoring, came up through our development program, has known and played with most of the team for 10+ years, and used to room with CP.

Politics? Sure. But a guy that has 9 goals this season and champions league experience makes more sense than a dude who barely speaks English and isn’t scoring for a team in shambles that is going down.

Wright is scoring, came up through our development program, has known and played with most of the team for 10+ years, and used to room with CP.

Politics? Sure. But a guy that has 9 goals this season and champions league experience makes more sense than a dude who barely speaks English and isn’t scoring for a team in shambles that is going down.

Pefok plays for Union Berlin who happens to be near the top of the Bundesliga right now and Pefok is one of the primary reasons for it? Are you confusing Pepi with Pefok. Pepi hasn't scored in a long while for FC Augsburg who is again struggling to stay relevant in the Bundesliga and out of relegation. As a matter of fact, he was playing so poorly for them, I believe they sent him out on loan to a Bundesliga 2 side. Pefok on the other hand has 3 goals and 4 assists in 13 games (12 starts). FCU has struggle the last 3-4 weeks as a whole so it's hard to pin this on just Pefok

ADD: And this isn't necessarily about Haji Wright's inclusion. I would have taken PeFok over Morris. I just don't think Morris is at the same level as the other F, certainly not as a 9, and he lacks the speed and individual technical skill over our outside F, primarily Pulisic, Weah, and Aaronson. Our wings are dynamic and I expect to see the "hack a Shaq" defense employed to cut down Weah and Pulisic as much as possible because 1 v 1 vs the outside defenders for England, Wales and Iran, it's a clear mismatch. As much as I love Trent Alexander-Arnold at right back for Liverpool, it is a 100% mismatch in the US' favor with Pulisic or Aaronson going 1 v 1 against him. TAA is a horrible 1 v 1 defender (and right now it is coming through in Liverpool's games as 60% or so of the goals against are coming down the attacking left side at him). I'm not 100% sold that we shouldn't beat England...England has dynamic forwards and attackers but are really susceptible in the back and our speed and quickness up top might give us a leg up when pressing. What the US will have to be weary of is the over the top counter with guys like Kane and Foden and then anytime they get around the box, don't get too close because Kane and Foden will flop like a newly landed bass.

Last edited:
They make valid points on Wright being a surprise. Why wasn't he part of the September window when the rest of the int'l contingent was there was well? Is this a "please Pulisic" move? They mention relationships...I'm sure he is a good enough player to be in the mix, but he was seemingly used so little in any of the int'l/CONCACAF cups and WCQ matches, it is easy to question his inclusion.

BTW, EA sports does a WC simulation every 4 years and has correctly predicted the winner of the WC in the last 3 cycles. This year the simulation has Argentina winning the final over Brazil. It has the US making it to the quarterfinals and playing Brazil. Mexico does not make it to the knockout stage. It also has Pulisic scoring 5 goals in 5 matches played. Let's hope EA sends the game replays to Berhalter so he knows how to game plan 😂

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
England's 26 just dropped. Very strong group of forwards but their MF and D have some very suspect players included. The STATUE Harry Maguire is a part of the side. Let's hope Southgate loses his mind and starts him alongside John Stones, Luke Shaw, and TAA vs the US. Seriously, Pulisic, Aaronson, and Weah would eat that group alive.

BTW, I don't think Southgate is dumb enough to start Maguire...but who knows, maybe he is.

And the O/U on the number of dives taken by Foden, Rashford, and Sterling is set at 340...that's just the US match alone which does take into account that Kane likely starts and plays 75 minutes before Sterling/Foden/Grealish come on late as a replacement. Seriously, Foden and Sterling have drawn PKs for going down after tripping on a blade of grass that was almost as tall as both of them.

FYI my point is that the argument here is about who should be players 23 to 26 on the roster. That is legit but very unlikely determinative of the team's performance.

My 23-26 is the following:

26. Roldan
25. Shaq Moore
24. Haji Wright
23. CCV (should be Long but we know Berhalter has a love affair for Long's mullet)

Pulisic is creating havoc today against City in the Carabao Cup but no scores for him. City in their typical fashion got out to a 2-0 lead. City keeper (not Ederson) played out of his mind. Looks like Pulisic was playing a false 9 centrally.

Pefok plays for Union Berlin who happens to be near the top of the Bundesliga right now and Pefok is one of the primary reasons for it? Are you confusing Pepi with Pefok. Pepi hasn't scored in a long while for FC Augsburg who is again struggling to stay relevant in the Bundesliga and out of relegation. As a matter of fact, he was playing so poorly for them, I believe they sent him out on loan to a Bundesliga 2 side. Pefok on the other hand has 3 goals and 4 assists in 13 games (12 starts). FCU has struggle the last 3-4 weeks as a whole so it's hard to pin this on just Pefok

ADD: And this isn't necessarily about Haji Wright's inclusion. I would have taken PeFok over Morris. I just don't think Morris is at the same level as the other F, certainly not as a 9, and he lacks the speed and individual technical skill over our outside F, primarily Pulisic, Weah, and Aaronson. Our wings are dynamic and I expect to see the "hack a Shaq" defense employed to cut down Weah and Pulisic as much as possible because 1 v 1 vs the outside defenders for England, Wales and Iran, it's a clear mismatch. As much as I love Trent Alexander-Arnold at right back for Liverpool, it is a 100% mismatch in the US' favor with Pulisic or Aaronson going 1 v 1 against him. TAA is a horrible 1 v 1 defender (and right now it is coming through in Liverpool's games as 60% or so of the goals against are coming down the attacking left side at him). I'm not 100% sold that we shouldn't beat England...England has dynamic forwards and attackers but are really susceptible in the back and our speed and quickness up top might give us a leg up when pressing. What the US will have to be weary of is the over the top counter with guys like Kane and Foden and then anytime they get around the box, don't get too close because Kane and Foden will flop like a newly landed bass.
Brain fart. I had Pepi and pefok’s club interchanged. Stand by the analysis though. He didn’t do enough to merit the call up.

Whether it’s Morris, Wright, Roldan, or Johnson, the story seems to be they believe in the system and they are staying loyal to those who started development early. I’m not sure our message should be that if you aren’t picked to the U18 team you have no World Cup shot, but that seems to be the message here.

Whether it’s Morris, Wright, Roldan, or Johnson, the story seems to be they believe in the system and they are staying loyal to those who started development early. I’m not sure our message should be that if you aren’t picked to the U18 team you have no World Cup shot, but that seems to be the message here.
I think Tab Ramos leaving US Soccer was a great detriment to the development programs leading in to the USMNT. I actually would have preferred to see him be moved up to the USMNT Coach vs Berhalter as I think there is something to be said for the youth development he helped create and be successful with. Obviously it worked so him overseeing that and helping to maintain a continuity in styles throughout the U17-USMNT programs is important. Right now they all seem to do their own things and Berhalter really doesn't care.

Speaking of former MNT stars in US Soccer, I'm very disappointed in Earnie Stewart. Still a good bureaucrat in US Soccer. This guy might have had something to do with this development issue. But what hacks me off about Stewart is that he was right in the middle of the strange circumstances surrounding Beer?halter's hire. In fact, after 2 whole interviews from among all resumes received for the job, it was Stewart who hired him.

This horrible mistake might be made right as soon as the last kick in the Iran game.

Some week-end news on our boyz playing in England & Europe in a final tune-up before Wales in 7 1/2 days: Josh Sargent gets his 9th goal in a 2-1 loss for Norwich City. Could Beer?halter possibly start this guy as our center forward? Nah! B. Aaronson gets a nice assist on Leeds 1st of three goals. Unfortunately, Leeds' back line still sucks & they let in 4. Tyler Adams had a rare poor game. Got sent off for a 2nd yellow & ruined Leed's late chance for a tying goal.

Ream & Robinson played well except Man Utd's 1st goal was on both of them. It was a tie until stoppage time when Fulham gave up the game winner, through no fault of either. CP played the full 2nd half. Chelsea got beat but he got about 50 minutes. Haji Wright was supposed to play today for Antalyspor vs Betsitkas and it was cancelled. I'm guessing some kind of terrorist attack in whatever city it was to be played in. Turkish language is unintelligible.

Tim Weah got the start for Lille & went the full 90 today, yeah! And he played right back, believe it or not. Did very well defensively, and occasionally got into the attack. If we need a replacement for Dest (or vice versa), Weah looks ready & is fit. Finally, it was Joe Scally vs Gio Reyna as Munchen Gladbach beat Dortmund 5-2. Both played well. Wes McKinnie DNP for Juventus. Don't know if he made the bench or is injured. Most of these guys got 90 minutes and are ready to rock.

I think McKennie has a slight knock that they're protecting him from making it worse. Reyna somehow missed a wide open net, instead shooting the ball into the only defender close to him in the box. The buildup to that play was remarkable. Gladbach ended up putting the hammer to Dortmund in that one. One of the key differences I've seen between EPL and Bundesliga is that the Bundesliga seems to be wide open for a full 90 minutes. Lots of end to end stuff. EPL tends to be more methodical and calculated and there's a lot more happening in the middle 1/3 of the field than on either end.

As for Leeds, I hope they work with Marsch in trying to get in the defenders he wants. This team can obviously score with any in EPL but they defend like Regent Prep in Tulsa (8 out of the 11 starters for Regent are football or basketball players who are playing soccer just to stay busy).

As for who Berhalter starts at the 9 in the WC, it depends on what he is looking for. Personally, I think if he starts Aaronson in that role, it allows us to high press with pace. I like Sargent coming off the bench late, especially with a lead because he is a pretty stout defender as far as forwards go and he is capable of the strong hold up play needed to see a game out.

In other news former FC Tulsa coach and TSC Administrator Michael Nsien has been named U16 USMNT head coach. Decent chance we could see our first Tulsa kid make a US national team next year.

In other news former FC Tulsa coach and TSC Administrator Michael Nsien has been named U16 USMNT head coach. Decent chance we could see our first Tulsa kid make a US national team next year.
Good for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT