ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WCQ Thread

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Time to shift gears as we are less than a month away from US vs El Salvador on Sept. 2nd and US vs Canada in Nashville on Sept. 5th. It's extremely important that the US take all 6 points in these 2 games. I think if the US can garner results in its 7 home matches and at least 3 of the away matches, we should qualify. A quick start would be extremely positive.

Who do we expect to be named to the 26 (or so) for training camp and what do we expect the starting lineup to look like:

F: Pulisic, Reyna, Sargent, Hoppe, Zardes, maybe Arriola
MF: Weah, McKennie, Lletget (Berhalter favorite for whatever reason), Acosta, Adams, de la Fuente, Aaronson, Roldan. Musah
D: Brooks, McKenzie, Cannon, Dest, Ream, M. Robinson, A. Robinson, Yedlin
GK: Steffen, Horvath, Turner

Keep in mind I think there are a lot of interchangeable parts in the MF/F selection so don't get hung up on where I put them.

I think Ream is going to be name specifically because I think Berhalter wants to play a 3-5-2 and having Brooks, McKenzie/M. Robinson, and Ream as the 3 makes sense with Dest and A.Robinson/Cannon playing the outside of the 5. I think Adams and Acosta are vying for the 6.

I didn't put Walker Zimmerman on here because of his injury and I didn't put Aaron Long on here but maybe he should be over Ream.

My guess at who starts is:
GK: Steffen
D: M. Robinson- Brooks - Ream
MF: Cannon- Adams-McKennie-Pulisic- Dest
F: Sargent-Hoppe

Discuss. And there's plenty to discuss...

You think Dike gets left at home?
I think both Dike and Busio just need more top line experience. Both of them played like kids in the Gold Cup. Busio played nervous when he was in, Dike looked a little lost at times not quite figuring out where he should be and he was a step behind in finding space and being an option. I an ideal world, Dike should be able to sit in a pocket in the middle and get the ball and then deliver the ball wide and then present himself as an option going to goal. He is, IMO, a hold up 9. Zardes is an over the top 9 but he's simply not going to hold off defenders to allow others into the attack. Dike and Altidore are the types that put pressure on defenders because if they don't dispossess right away, it allows others to get forward and jump into the attack. Altidore's problem is he would never pass the ball off. Dike will but his 1st touch for this level is lacking. I think for this round, Dike gets left off for guys who have proven effectiveness up top and who might be more versatile in where they can play and what style.

I think both Dike and Busio just need more top line experience. Both of them played like kids in the Gold Cup. Busio played nervous when he was in, Dike looked a little lost at times not quite figuring out where he should be and he was a step behind in finding space and being an option. I an ideal world, Dike should be able to sit in a pocket in the middle and get the ball and then deliver the ball wide and then present himself as an option going to goal. He is, IMO, a hold up 9. Zardes is an over the top 9 but he's simply not going to hold off defenders to allow others into the attack. Dike and Altidore are the types that put pressure on defenders because if they don't dispossess right away, it allows others to get forward and jump into the attack. Altidore's problem is he would never pass the ball off. Dike will but his 1st touch for this level is lacking. I think for this round, Dike gets left off for guys who have proven effectiveness up top and who might be more versatile in where they can play and what style.
LMAO, a hold-up 9? This is a new one to me. There are boatloads of players that can get a ball, hold it up and play it wide. You don't need to be 6'3" 225 to do that. That actually might be the problem with him. He might be technically limited at this point. You got to go at people and finish. Zardes was finishing and putting himself in better positions to score. Dike looked lost.

I wish every success for Dike. I am super biased towards him, but at the end of the day, I am more biased towards qualifying.

Reactions: Gold*
I don’t think either of them starts in any qualifying match and I don’t think Dike will even make the team. He’s fun to watch and obviously we should pull for him. We just have too many other players that are dangerous.

The only slack I would cut Dike is that he was hurt.

LMAO, a hold-up 9? This is a new one to me. There are boatloads of players that can get a ball, hold it up and play it wide. You don't need to be 6'3" 225 to do that. That actually might be the problem with him. He might be technically limited at this point. You got to go at people and finish. Zardes was finishing and putting himself in better positions to score. Dike looked lost.

I wish every success for Dike. I am super biased towards him, but at the end of the day, I am more biased towards qualifying.
We can agree Dike wasn't doing much vs quality competition in the Gold Cup (Martinique is not quality competition IMO). And yes I want him to be successful too but I think including him as part of the WCQ side at this point doesn't do him any good and likely will not help the US as much as some other players.

They talked about it the whole broadcast. He hurt a shoulder in the middle of the tournament and was kind of gimpy from then on. At one point he was running around like it was out of the socket.

Reactions: drboobay

I was thinking Dike in the place of Arriola for a roster spot just because Dike gives you a physicality that might be of benefit in some matchups.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
I was thinking Dike in the place of Arriola for a roster spot just because Dike gives you a physicality that might be of benefit in some matchups.
They don't play the same position and Arriola is a technically superior player. His speed on the wings gave Mexico fits and he can pick out some really nice open players in the box. I wouldn't start him over Hoppe, Pulisic or Reyna but he does a lot of good things out wide. That's just me.

They don't play the same position and Arriola is a technically superior player. His speed on the wings gave Mexico fits and he can pick out some really nice open players in the box. I wouldn't start him over Hoppe, Pulisic or Reyna but he does a lot of good things out wide. That's just me.
I understand all that, I’m just saying that the players above him (Arriola) at his position will provide much more than he likely will barring a few injuries. Dike could see time situationally to bring a different look to the attack. None of the other forwards provide his type of play.

Also, Dike could be more of a piece going forward compared to Arriola.

He showed very little in Gold Cup. Perhaps he is playing better in camp.

If we need an equalizer in the 85th minute, put in Dike b/c he might draw two or three guys on a corner, leaving someone to run free.

I understand all that, I’m just saying that the players above him (Arriola) at his position will provide much more than he likely will barring a few injuries. Dike could see time situationally to bring a different look to the attack. None of the other forwards provide his type of play.

Also, Dike could be more of a piece going forward compared to Arriola.
I agree with Dike being a piece that the US can feature in the future...my point with this thread and starting the discussion was the immediate qualification games coming up. Dike is still only like 20 so there's time. Remember, he didn't even start most of Orlando City's games last season and was typically used as a sub somewhere between the 65th and 70th minute of games at least in the 1st half of the season. We knew about him but he really started drawing international attention with his loan to Barnsley. The question will be where does Dike end up in terms of a league this season? I haven't seen any discussion of him playing at Orlando this season and I haven't heard anything about him moving to a top side in Europe. Bremen needs a new striker with Sargent's move to Norwich. I don't think a championships side like Barnsley is really interesting to Dike. Most of the top sides have their forwards set right now. Maybe Inter Milan in Italy where they just lost Lukaku back to EPL? Similar style players and probably the best comp to what Dike could project to be. Latest I've heard is Everton, Brighton, and Watford in EPL. Everton would be interesting and I wonder how'd he be used there with Richarlison. Brighton's style wouldn't suit Dike very well, IMO. Watford would be intriguing. TBH, I think he would flourish in a place like Leeds and their get forward approach. We'll see...but he definitely needs to be playing a higher level of soccer to continue his development and make a case for USMNT regular

If we need an equalizer in the 85th minute, put in Dike b/c he might draw two or three guys on a corner, leaving someone to run free.
And there's something to be said that Dike may be a more effective option off the bench against tiring defenders. I thought Berhalter did a really nice job of using Dike and Hoppe to grind down the other teams backline and then bringing Zardes in off the bench as a change of pace. Zardes seemed to thrive in that role and one thing Zardes does is he brings some energy and pace and I'll have to admit, he makes some pretty dynamic runs in key moments to really stress the defense out and force them to make a decision. We all bag on Zardes as a one trick pony but he really played well in the Gold Cup and he does a lot more away from the ball than gets noticed.

I agree with Dike being a piece that the US can feature in the future...my point with this thread and starting the discussion was the immediate qualification games coming up. Dike is still only like 20 so there's time. Remember, he didn't even start most of Orlando City's games last season and was typically used as a sub somewhere between the 65th and 70th minute of games at least in the 1st half of the season. We knew about him but he really started drawing international attention with his loan to Barnsley. The question will be where does Dike end up in terms of a league this season? I haven't seen any discussion of him playing at Orlando this season and I haven't heard anything about him moving to a top side in Europe. Bremen needs a new striker with Sargent's move to Norwich. I don't think a championships side like Barnsley is really interesting to Dike. Most of the top sides have their forwards set right now. Maybe Inter Milan in Italy where they just lost Lukaku back to EPL? Similar style players and probably the best comp to what Dike could project to be. Latest I've heard is Everton, Brighton, and Watford in EPL. Everton would be interesting and I wonder how'd he be used there with Richarlison. Brighton's style wouldn't suit Dike very well, IMO. Watford would be intriguing. TBH, I think he would flourish in a place like Leeds and their get forward approach. We'll see...but he definitely needs to be playing a higher level of soccer to continue his development and make a case for USMNT regular
When I hear Watford I cannot but think of Elton John. Demonstrates my age.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
If you follow the women's game, Dennis Rodman's daughter is in the player pool for the first round of qualifiers. She was NWSL rookie of the year last year.

She's a beast too. Really good player. The US women have some good young players coming up that will soon take the reins and shoulder the scoring load from Lloyd and Morgan.

I hope Sophia Smith is healthy for the she believes cup, she is the most natural striker I’ve seen on the women’s team in years.

I hope Sophia Smith is healthy for the she believes cup, she is the most natural striker I’ve seen on the women’s team in years.
She's one of the new crop that is fun to watch. She really puts defenders on skates when she has the ball around the 18

She's one of the new crop that is fun to watch. She really puts defenders on skates when she has the ball around the 18
If I remember right, TU had brief contact with her and she ended up at Washington State where her brother plays basketball. Surprised she’s a pro. Didn’t know she’s in the pool. She might be six feet tall. Nice.

If I remember right, TU had brief contact with her and she ended up at Washington State where her brother plays basketball. Surprised she’s a pro. Didn’t know she’s in the pool. She might be six feet tall. Nice.
She was a regular in the pool beginning in mid summer. At one point she came on for Carli Lloyd and Dellacamera asked if this was the passing of the torch moment for US women's soccer. She's exceptionally fast both with and without the ball. She's got excellent close touch skill in tight spaces (think Pulisic quality). What she doesn't do a great job with (just yet) is finding open teammates when things close down on her. She's that typical young GREAT player who thinks they can beat 2, 3 or 4 defenders by herself because she always has been able to do that. I'm sure she'll figure that out playing with Tobin Heath, Rose LaVelle, Rapinoe (for a bit anyway), and Lindsay Horan. What she will give the US is a little bit more of a chance to stretch the field as she is faster and more athletic than Morgan and Lloyd. If the US runs 2 forwards in a 3-5-2 set-up, they could run Mallory Pugh and Smith out there and other teams would have a very difficult time containing the US with the way the wingers jump into things.

I love watching Rose Lavelle play. She’s got serious moves on that dance floor.

I've been watching CP carefully the last 6 weeks. Does anyone else think he has lost a step in flank speed or is not as direct, going at people, as he was prior to the ankle & many other injuries? His technique with the ball and passing is still superb.

But yesterday vs the big dog in the EPL, CP started and was virtually anonymous. In a forward position but on the right side. Herr Tuchel should know, after their history at Dortmund, that CP is most effective forward on the left. Instead, he starts Hakim Ziyech who pretty much stunk it up.

Man City beats Chelsea 1-0 & is running away with the EPL title. Zach Steffen doesn't play much, but might get a start in the next week or so.

She was a regular in the pool beginning in mid summer. At one point she came on for Carli Lloyd and Dellacamera asked if this was the passing of the torch moment for US women's soccer. She's exceptionally fast both with and without the ball. She's got excellent close touch skill in tight spaces (think Pulisic quality). What she doesn't do a great job with (just yet) is finding open teammates when things close down on her. She's that typical young GREAT player who thinks they can beat 2, 3 or 4 defenders by herself because she always has been able to do that. I'm sure she'll figure that out playing with Tobin Heath, Rose LaVelle, Rapinoe (for a bit anyway), and Lindsay Horan. What she will give the US is a little bit more of a chance to stretch the field as she is faster and more athletic than Morgan and Lloyd. If the US runs 2 forwards in a 3-5-2 set-up, they could run Mallory Pugh and Smith out there and other teams would have a very difficult time containing the US with the way the wingers jump into things.
Her ball skills are what blew me away when I first saw her. When she gets in sync with her teammates she could be nearly unstoppable.

I've been watching CP carefully the last 6 weeks. Does anyone else think he has lost a step in flank speed or is not as direct, going at people, as he was prior to the ankle & many other injuries? His technique with the ball and passing is still superb.

But yesterday vs the big dog in the EPL, CP started and was virtually anonymous. In a forward position but on the right side. Herr Tuchel should know, after their history at Dortmund, that CP is most effective forward on the left. Instead, he starts Hakim Ziyech who pretty much stunk it up.

Man City beats Chelsea 1-0 & is running away with the EPL title. Zach Steffen doesn't play much, but might get a start in the next week or so.
All 3 of the CHE starters up top were bad. They all looked sluggish and out of sync. Tuchel experiments with lineups almost as much as Frank Haith in out of conference games. I don't know what CHE's injury situation is but Pulisic seems better and more in sync when he plays with Havertz up top and Mount as the 10. CHE wasn't awful despite the lack of chances up front.

And is it me or does Raheem Sterling spend more time trying to figure out how to draw fouls than he does trying to score goals? His diving is approaching Neymar levels.

Wait, the US is actually going to try to play qualifiers with that roster? What the hell are they thinking? I didn't realize we were actually in a WCQ window...thought the next set of games as in March. Well this is stupid.

Many of our Euro guys will be reporting through the 21st. Still, who knows what Beer?halter has in mind for starters. 'tis worrisome.

Many of our Euro guys will be reporting through the 21st. Still, who knows what Beer?halter has in mind for starters. 'tis worrisome.
OK...I guess I just missed the timeline as to basically a pre-camp, like FR reporting a couple days early before the guys who will play report.

Carrot Top finally gets off the schneid.....sort of, in a 2-1 win vs Everton. His low, hard cross in the box is deflected in by a defender. Norwich City needs that win to begin creeping out of the relegation zone. I'd like to see him called up for these qualifiers. Pefok, too.

I'm in shock, but Tim Ream is Fulham team captain. He & Antonee Robinson are helping to not just beat people in the English Championship, they are stomping teams by big scores and in 1st place. Fulham has a real shot to get right back to the EPL.

And Wes Mckinnie is red hot. He's scored twice on headers in the last two for Juventus, a win & a loss.

I saw that one of Norwich's goals was an own goal...I didn't actually see it so didn't know Sargent was in on it. They should give the playmakers in those instances an assist. Usually if the cross or ball into the box is of such quality that a defender making a desperate attempt to clear it scores in his own goal, there is a good chance an opponent is going to put it in if it gets through. Must give credit where it is due in those instances.

Ream is a mainstay at Fulham and the fans love him there. He's a quality player who has frequently been played in such a way that it doesn't utilize his strengths when called in to the USMNT. If Berhalter sticks with the 3-5-2, Ream would be a good extra defender on the outside of the 3 defender set. He's not a true CB and not a true wing back that should be jumping into the offensive attack. He's just a solid defender with a good soccer IQ. But he's also not as physical and athletic as Brooks, Miles Robinson, Zimmerman, Long, and Mark McKenzie. And the pool of defenders in the US is as deep or deeper than at any time I can remember. When you have a guy like Yedlin or Reggie Cannon struggling to find minutes because you have Dest & Antonee Robinson commanding almost all of the minutes, you've got some serious depth.

Does the US have a true hold up 9 right now playing at the level needed for WC? Probably not. Dike is not there yet. I haven't seen that from Sargent or Pefok either. If that's the case, keep running with Pepi who seems to create chances out of nothing simply because of his drive and ability to find space. And as much as people are down on Zardes, he is an excellent option for late in game situations because he's got good quickness and puts a ton of pressure on defenders who are usually tired. Zardes seems to score an awful lot of goals simply because he continues to drive and put pressure on defenders late in games.

I think Berhalter found a successful formula vs Mexico and I'd like to see that as the game plan moving forward. It was the most focused game I've seen from the US in a long time including the CONCACAF Nations Cup and Gold Cup finales.

I love Pepi but think he needs some time. Lately, he's caught the Timo Werner disease, close but no cigar. He does manufacture great scoring chances....then misses. Anyway, Pepi will not be in camp for these qualifiers. It's too soon after joining his new club. The same goes for Dike.

If you want to have a big-bodied #9 that can score and has speed, I'd like to see Pefok(Siebecheu) in there. He's tearing it up in the top Swiss League with Young Boys including 4 in one game recently.

I love Pepi but think he needs some time. Lately, he's caught the Timo Werner disease, close but no cigar. He does manufacture great scoring chances....then misses. Anyway, Pepi will not be in camp for these qualifiers. It's too soon after joining his new club. The same goes for Dike.

If you want to have a big-bodied #9 that can score and has speed, I'd like to see Pefok(Siebecheu) in there. He's tearing it up in the top Swiss League with Young Boys including 4 in one game recently.
My concern with Pefok with the USMNT is his seeming lack of energy when he's in there. He doesn't seem to find space or get into great scoring position

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT