ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT WCQ Thread

Not USMNT related but when Haaland was acquired by Man City I said it would be fun to watch him get service from the likes of DeBroyne but he has surpassed my expectations so far. With a hat trick today against United he’s scored 14 goals in 8 league matches and another 3 in two CL matches. He even assisted on two of Foden’s goals today. The guy has been amazing.
Erling is a freak of nature. After his 1st goal yesterday, I saw him gather with his teammates and he was the tallest player out there by a good margin. He's got the athleticism and speed of smaller players, the ability to play physically, and he is tremendous at finding just the smallest of spaces.

In the Ch Lg this week: Pulisic & Reyna DNP, McKinnie goes the full 90 & played well in a 3-1 win over Haifa, John Brooks goes 90 in a very good effort vs PSG, 1-1 tie. Jordan Pefok must still be hurting for Union Berlin-not named to squad vs Malmo Sweden in the Europa League. Finally, both Adams & Aaronson played well in a 1-1 tie last weekend (with Leeds a man short).

Which begs the question: Why doesn't Beer?halter play a system better suited to his best players than forcing them to play a style that isn't? When they all go back to their club teams and play very well?

CP has burned his last bridge to West London. His new coach doesn't play him & the old one obviously didn't either. Will CP be ready to rock come Nov?
Doubtful if he doesn't play for Chelsea.

Turner getting the start in goal for Arsenal but he might as well be sitting on the sideline. Bodo/Glimt looks like UAB against Tulsa last week. Hardly any possession at all, they may have crossed midfield with possession once or twice in the 1st 30 minutes. Arsenal lead 2-0 already

In the Ch Lg this week: Pulisic & Reyna DNP, McKinnie goes the full 90 & played well in a 3-1 win over Haifa, John Brooks goes 90 in a very good effort vs PSG, 1-1 tie. Jordan Pefok must still be hurting for Union Berlin-not named to squad vs Malmo Sweden in the Europa League. Finally, both Adams & Aaronson played well in a 1-1 tie last weekend (with Leeds a man short).

Which begs the question: Why doesn't Beer?halter play a system better suited to his best players than forcing them to play a style that isn't? When they all go back to their club teams and play very well?

CP has burned his last bridge to West London. His new coach doesn't play him & the old one obviously didn't either. Will CP be ready to rock come Nov?
Doubtful if he doesn't play for Chelsea.
I really feel the team needs Brooks at the WC regardless of how often he plays.

Oh my! CP may have found a way back to more minutes with Chelsea. He gets a rare start vs Wolves and is very active, blows a couple of chances in the first half and has Chelsea's best chance saved just before halftime. In a give & go with Mason Mount early in the 2nd half, Mount puts him in and with the goalie sliding at him, dinks it over him & into the net for Chelsea's 2nd in a 3-0 win.

He gets about 70 minutes before mass subs. This is just great news for CP and his confidence, maybe a wake up call for his new coach and excellent news for the MNT (if it keeps up)

BTW, I was wrong about Pefok not being named to Union Berlin's last. I looked at the roster and subs, didn't see Pefok or Siebacheu. It turns out that he now goes by Jordan-on his jersey and in the line ups. Duh! The 1st name didn't register. Got 72 minutes and his coach is getting him back match fit. Maybe, just maybe, Beer?halter will shock us all by naming this guy to Qatar ( & Brooks, Ream and Sargent).

Sargent gets another in a 3-2 loss in the English Champ. In the EPL today, Americans were 2nd only to Englishmen in numbers. Adams & Aaronson played very well for Leeds vs Crystal Palace in a 2-1 loss. Marsch's Team continue to drop in the table. 9 points with a game in hand. Brendan Aaronson gets his 2nd assist for Leeds as he dribbles thru 4-5 defenders, gets a hard shot off that bounces straight out off the post and a teammate slots it home.

Ream & Robinson for Fulham lose by the same, 2-1, although I don't think Antonee Robinson played. Not good if true.

Antonee Robinson does start for Fulham in a loss this past wk-end. Tim Weah gets his first action this season for Lille. Comes off the bench for about 25 minutes and looks very active. I'm certain that once this guy is match fit, his coach will have him starting. Great news for both.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Antonee Robinson does start for Fulham in a loss this past wk-end. Tim Weah gets his first action this season for Lille. Comes off the bench for about 25 minutes and looks very active. I'm certain that once this guy is match fit, his coach will have him starting. Great news for both.
So Weah's fragility before the recent WC qualifying cycle and relative few meaningful appearances for his club side and getting buried at PSG made me wonder if all the hype we heard about him as one of the up and coming teen phenoms for the US was overblown. After watching him in the CONCACAF Nations League and subsequently in WC qualifying made me realize he is a gem and a beast to deal with on the right side, especially in combination with Dest at right fullback. When you add an Aaronson or Musah or McKennie in the MF combo with them, it's just downright unfair to other teams. The amount of speed on the ball, crazy technical skill and athleticism. With Weah on that right side you see him pull the fullback and one of the center backs to him freeing space in the box for a 9 or for McKennie on the crosses. I don't think there is a 6 or 8 who can outjump McKennie for crosses in the box and that's who is having to drop and fill the void when the CB gets pulled out. I like the prospect of the US starting Weah or Aaronson out there and bringing in the other off the bench. The press would be pretty relentless for a full 90 and you don't lose quality that way. That style also should lend itself to playing a big 9 like Sargent or Pefok vs someone like Ferreira. I think all 3 of them should be in Qatar and Pepi needs to be left at home. With the strength of 7s and 11s we have and the fact that they can be flexed into a false 9 if needed, there's no reason to take a spot up for a 1 dimensional player.

I just watched Fulham, with Ream & A. Robinson, in a 2-2 tie with Bournemouth. Those 2 play the best competition week in, week out. As good as they will be facing in the WC, IMO. So, why won't Beer?halter name Ream to the squad? He's the best passer we have out of the back.

Some of Fulham's best attacks were started with a pass from Ream to Robinson. Since we can't seem to get out of our end lately, maybe two guys who get it done every week should start. This area of attack will take some of the pressure off Yunas Musah up the middle (if he's fit enough to play) & provide a separate means of attack.

Leeds with Adams & Arronson will, unfortunately, play Arsenal tomorrow and maybe CP will get a start with Chelsea. We'll see how that all goes.

Not much today by Yanks in the Prem. Leeds Utd lost to Arsenal-1-0 and sinks slowly towards the dreaded "R" Zone. CP still rides the pine for Chelsea after scoring for them 2 games back. 180 minutes & counting......

The good news is that the carrott-topped one is tied for the English Championship scoring lead with 8, although he's scored in the last 2 which were losses for Norwich. I suppose Beer?halter will call him, but will he start him ahead of Pepi & Ferreira??? Doubtful, & then it's too late.

I think if he had to choose today, and the games were in different order, it would be Ferreira for the first and third games with the second being a two striker line up with Sargent playing the second game. As it is, Sargent either doesn’t play or comes on as a sub against Iran when we are pointless and it’s looking hopeless.

I’m hoping this is all some clever disguise of what we are going to do and what we are capable of, but I’m not optimistic. And it leaves me wondering if we are trying to win.

Reactions: quincy101
I’m hoping this is all some clever disguise of what we are going to do and what we are capable of, but I’m not optimistic. And it leaves me wondering if we are trying to win.
Dr. B'bay said it was perhaps enough to make the WC after last cycle's failure. True. But Beer?halter might think the same and is rewarding many of the guys who got us there, "just for the experience". Except it's a "what have you done for us lately" type of serious issue that requires the best players, in a system that tends to their strengths and not their weaknesses.

I personally think, that with all the people he brought in to look at and never the same line-up 2 games in a row, he has been somewhat lucky to be able to deal with concacaf competition and that he's in for a rude shock when the real competition begins.

I've had the same thought as Huffy has above. Unfortunately, I don't believe Beer?halter is that clever. "I got us here, didn't I, yuk, yuk, yuk." Maybe cold hard reality will slap him in the face about half-time of the Wales match, and he will make some changes to turn our guys loose. HA!

Reactions: HuffyCane
Not much today by Yanks in the Prem. Leeds Utd lost to Arsenal-1-0 and sinks slowly towards the dreaded "R" Zone. CP still rides the pine for Chelsea after scoring for them 2 games back. 180 minutes & counting......

The good news is that the carrott-topped one is tied for the English Championship scoring lead with 8, although he's scored in the last 2 which were losses for Norwich. I suppose Beer?halter will call him, but will he start him ahead of Pepi & Ferreira??? Doubtful, & then it's too late.
Pepi really isn't in any sort of international form that warrants a call up. Jordan Sebatcheu Pefok (or whatever name he is going by these days) is playing much better than Pepi is at a higher level of competition and on a team at the top of the table in the Bundesliga. Pefok had the assist on Union Berlin's goal the other day helping them secure the win.

Tonight FC Dallas hosts Minnesota United in the MLS playoffs. We'll see what Ferreira does.

Haji Wright has 7 goals for Antalyaspor in the Turkish League( it's not bad futbol) and Bla reminds us what Pefok can do. Both will be left behind in place of.....Pepi. And I'm very worried that Josh Sargent will also.

I'm not a fan of Taylor Twellman as a talking head. But he said something the other day that made a lot of sense. Club team managers can go out and buy players (within reason) that fit playing in their "system". While Ntl. team managers must adapt their system to players that fit their skill and experience level. Something that Beer?halter has so far failed to do.

Pefok refuses to speak to the media in English and needs a translator present at the club level when discussions are had in English. I dunno, might be a problem on the team on the pitch, even if the coaches get over any problems in the locker room. See generally: Regis, David.

Haji Wright has 7 goals for Antalyaspor in the Turkish League( it's not bad futbol) and Bla reminds us what Pefok can do. Both will be left behind in place of.....Pepi. And I'm very worried that Josh Sargent will also.

I'm not a fan of Taylor Twellman as a talking head. But he said something the other day that made a lot of sense. Club team managers can go out and buy players (within reason) that fit playing in their "system". While Ntl. team managers must adapt their system to players that fit their skill and experience level. Something that Beer?halter has so far failed to do.
Twellman is good at what he is supposed to do. Fill time and parrot what he thinks people want to hear so they will hang around and listen to commercials. That comment is a good example. He’s accurately described what he thinks people want to hear. And it sounds reasonable. I think the Dutch concept of Total Football 2.0 which is basically a 3-5-2 in possession and a 5-3-2 out of possession, the Brazilian machine of the 1990s that left many elite players at home, and the rigid structure of the English FA offers little support for his comments. He’s frustrated. We all are. But you don’t throw out the system you decided upon for a simple 4-4-2 of your best athletes. Also, if you have elite players who do not complement each other how exactly do you modify your “system?” See generally: Gerrard, S. and Lampard, F. He hasn’t thought out his comments fully. It’s a hot take. That’s fine. That’s his job. And it’s probably why nobody is paying him ten times as much to coach.

I have no idea why he is on the air when there are so many other top quality studio folks.

So, Beer?halter has but one system, mediocre even in MLS. So inflexible that, over a 2 year period, these last 2 friendlies looked like the 1st couple months of the Beer?halter regime. It is not just "my way or the highway", it is also his favoritism for certain guys, mostly career MLS guys, who, IMO, just can't deal with the competition they will soon face. At the expense of guys who are playing regularly for their European club teams. In general, this group is versatile, playing more than one position at club level. They hardly got a look and some none.

I'm no coach or technician. Just a fan (since the Roughnecks) who loves good futbol. A couple years ago, with the people we have in the pool getting all that excellent Euro experience, I figured come November of 2022 that we would be rolling into the WC. There must be some reason why we're rumblin, stumblin, not to mention bumblin into the WC.

I thought it was a craptastic hire. And indicative of larger problems at USSF. Nobody wants to talk about those except maybe Wynalda.

Pefok refuses to speak to the media in English and needs a translator present at the club level when discussions are had in English. I dunno, might be a problem on the team on the pitch, even if the coaches get over any problems in the locker room. See generally: Regis, David.
So what does he speak? French? I know German can’t be his first language.

So what does he speak? French? I know German can’t be his first language.
He speaks French and limited German and English. Born to Caneroonian parents in DC.

I Don’t get the fascination with a player that turned us down, then when France and Cameroon senior teams turned him down suddenly he’s cool with us. And he won’t play with his real name on our jersey.

He speaks French and limited German and English. Born to Caneroonian parents in DC.

I Don’t get the fascination with a player that turned us down, then when France and Cameroon senior teams turned him down suddenly he’s cool with us. And he won’t play with his real name on our jersey.
What even is his real name anyway?

No one has shown that they can reliably score goals for the USMNT. it doesn’t honestly matter who we bring to the World Cup. Our player pool doesn’t have a world class striker in it right now. We need a system that can put average players in a position to win. We don’t have that system.

BTW, Berhalter's probably choice to start at the 9, Ferreira, blew a tee'd up ball from 6 yards out and no GK in sight. He just completely whiffed it. Back in the day Clint Dempsey would have ripped that so hard and probably put a hole in the back of the net. Give me Sargent at the 9. Tireless worker, actually a pretty good defender for a striker if you need him to drop back and help, makes the proactive runs, strong enough and technical enough to hold up play if that's what the situation calls for, and is pretty good in the air.

Leave Pepi and Jordan Morris at home. Let Pefok speak whatever language he wants and bring him in. Knowing Berhalter, just to spite all of us know-it-alls, he'll probably revert to old ways and call Zardes in.

That’s been what I’ve seen from Ferreira every time I’ve seen him, gets great position, good service then either plays it right to the keeper or misses by a mile.

That’s been what I’ve seen from Ferreira every time I’ve seen him, gets great position, good service then either plays it right to the keeper or misses by a mile.
It's unfortunate he isn't a more clinical finisher because he has that great goal scoring instinct of where to go and be to have those great chances

It's unfortunate he isn't a more clinical finisher because he has that great goal scoring instinct of where to go and be to have those great chances
This skhas always seemed to me a very fundamental skill that one must learn early if at all - directing the ball with precision to the right spot on goal. It must have a lot to do with body and ball control and also the mental aspects of the game. I never had the knack for this as a player at any level.

I can't believe I'm beginning to obsess over Tim Ream. This dude's career has been revived at Fulham. Team Captain and regular starter in the premier league. I've watched him & Robinson a lot this season and they are both solid on Fulham's back line and work together very well.

But it's doubtful Beer?halter will call him up. Here's a couple stats from Fulham's last match: Tim Ream: 92% passing accuracy; 10 of 15 balls into the final 3rd; 1 block......... Wait!, that sounds like someone perfect to be the engine for Beer?halter's "system". Or maybe he just uses this as an excuse to prefer certain guys, his favorites, over others. Or maybe knowing the system is most important. More important than other players being in great form but not necessarily knowing the system. It's driving me crazy.

As for Jedi, 88% passing, but to no one's surprise, only 2 of 10 crosses.

In the EPL yesterday, CP gets 30 mins. off the bench & kind of lights Chelsea's fire in a 0-0 tie. They will play Man Utd on Sat. & maybe Potter will give him a start. Gio Reyna also gets about 30 mins. and is very active for Dortmund in a win. However, it was obvious he was absolutely gassed after the game. Oh well, a Reyna off the bench for 30-35 minutes is not a bad thing for us.

Today in the EPL, Leeds Utd. loses again. Jesse Marsch's job must be hanging by a thread. On the other hand, I thought Tyler Adams was the best player on the pitch, with Aaronson 2nd. As I've said before, Leeds needs a whole new back line, or at least a left back & center back as well as a center forward who can actually score. Adams and Aaronson's future with Leeds is solid, while Marsch's isn't.

Then there's A. Robinson & Tim Ream for Fulham today vs Aston Villa in a 3-0 win. These two played very well. It's amazing how Jedi has developed & Ream too. Finally, Matt Turner gets a start for Arsenal vs PSV Eindhoven in the Europa League. He gets the shutout in a 1-0 win. Turner played well but wasn't very busy.

Just saw where Stephen Gerrard was sacked about 2 hours after Villa was beaten today by Fulham. Sadly, Jesse Marsch is next.

Last edited:
Legit question prompted by watching the LAFC/LA Galaxy match last night. Do we have someone better than Kellyn Acosta to fill that backup role for Adams? Acosta was dreadful last night.

If we want to win I think our back line should be Robinson, Ream, Zimmerman and Dest.
I generally stay out of the whole soccer conversation and just try to enjoy the insight this knowledgable board offers, but it seems pretty clear that if we wanted to win we would find a more effective leader/coach. This one just isn't getting it done.

Reactions: nevadanatural
Legit question prompted by watching the LAFC/LA Galaxy match last night. Do we have someone better than Kellyn Acosta to fill that backup role for Adams? Acosta was dreadful last night.
No. IMO, Tyler Adams is a top 5 holding midfielder in the EPL. But if he goes down and Musah is healthy, maybe Wes McKinnie in a defensive midfield role pumping balls upfield to Musah. You know my opinion of Acosta from day one: a pretender loved by Beer?halter who can't hack the really tough competition.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Congrats to Fulham FC and Robinson & Ream. Deepest sympathy to Leeds Utd. The match was over 15 minutes ago, & it may only take the Leeds brass 15 more minutes to sack Jesse Marsch.

Fulham wins 3-2 which puts them solid mid pack in the EPL. I'm convinced that the reason leeds has only 2 points in the last 8 games, is no Antonee Robinson at left back & Tim Ream at center back. And no Alexander Mitrovich at the center forward (9 goals) position. And no help in sight until the winter xfer window.

BTW, Tyler Adams was not named to Leed's squad. No injury info or reason given. If Jesse Marsch opted to rest him for future matches, this was a big mistake. They really could have used him.

Tyler Adams has a "small muscular issue". As cutthroat as management can be & quick to sack an underperforming coach in the EPL, I guess Jesse Marsch is just lucky. Still has a job at Leeds Utd but with Liverpool & Man City coming soon his luck may run out.

There are strong rumors of a move to Newcastle for C. Pulisic in the upcoming xfer window this January. The Magpies were last seen an hour ago beating Tottenham on the road and moving in to 4th place in the EPL, tied with Chelsea on points but ahead on goal differential. A transfer wouldn't bother me, but his few minutes with Chelsea lately bode ill for 90 minutes vs Wales.

US holding another training camp to decide roster spots less than a month before the start of the WC. What do we think about this?

US holding another training camp to decide roster spots less than a month before the start of the WC. What do we think about this?

I actually read it was more of a conditioning camp for MLS players who have been eliminated from the MLS playoffs, who are in the USMNT pool. There aren't any real surprises on the list really. Most of the players have appeared for the USMNT in the last year to year and a half or so in a match.

BTW, Pulisic is starting today for Chelsea vs FC Salzburg in their UCL match.

Reactions: lawpoke87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT