ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Player Pool Discussion

Dreadful performance. Players underachieving with poor first touches and bad clearances.

Spanish speaking ref is the difference in this game vs Panama. The red to Weah was 100% warranted, just a completely undisciplined dumb ass play by Weah. However, the ref will not give a yellow card to Panama and there have been 2 worthy of a yellow, 1 a definite yellow, neither given. This game turned after Panama decided to run through Turner, no attempt to play the ball, and just wiped him out while he was in the air. IMO, that's a definite yellow because of the reckless dangerous manner with no regard for player safety. The 2nd was a grab on Balogun just as he was about to leave the defender in the dust. Definite yellow for stopping a promising attack.

The US is chasing all over the place and the back 4 looks out of sorts. The US game plan shouldn't change much defensively outside of Balogun and Pulisic needing to drop a little deeper. US is not even trying to control the ball when they do win it. I think Panama is about 70% possession right now because the US isn't even really trying to keep the ball or work itself upfield
Put themselves under the gun. Now they'll probably have to win against Uruguay, to make it past group play.

Put themselves under the gun. Now they'll probably have to win against Uruguay, to make it past group play.
It's a must win because I don't see Panama coming away with less than a draw vs Bolivia, as a matter of fact they'll probably play for the draw sitting in a low block.

The red card was just a terrible decision from Weah. That said, the US was still the better side even down to 10, until you factor in that they couldn't complete a ****ing pass. Jedi played like a nervous 12 year old just hammering balls up the field, often to red jersey. Our D is still getting gouged in spaces, like there always seems to be someone sitting in the middle of the box with no one marking them close enough to prevent a turn or shot.

That said, I now see what Berhalter sees in Balogun. Dude can rip the back of the net. Reyna was non existent today. McKennie had some of the brilliant moments we all love from him.

My worry is Uruguay can rest their starters and go into the game with the US playing backups who can work under the skin of the US players to draw the same reactions we saw from Weah. The US can't rest anyone and now has to figure out who plays on the right side in Weah's spot. Can you run Sargent down that side?

Absolutely :crap: officiating in this game. Weah deserved the red but no yellow for the Panamanian player taking out Turner? I don’t feel good about our chances against Uruguay and it’s gonna be a must win because Panama is going to have 6 points.

Absolutely :crap: officiating in this game. Weah deserved the red but no yellow for the Panamanian player taking out Turner? I don’t feel good about our chances against Uruguay and it’s gonna be a must win because Panama is going to have 6 points.
We have to beat them pretty soundly or hope Panama wins 1-0, or worse against Bolivia. 5-0 win by Uruguay today cinched that we have no way going with Panama to the next round. It has to be us and Uruguay, or we don't go. Uruguay has to much in goal differential.

Gregg needs to admit he isn’t the man for the job. It’s that simple.

Remember when the USA used to take a bunch of nobodies and beat CONCACAF teams with players in Europe because we played tough disruptive defense and carefully studied how to structure two or three set pieces, two or three counters and two or three switches to exploit the flaws in their “system” to score one or two goals and secure victory against the run of play?

I do. And the roles are reversed.

If they don’t qualify, keep him, and raise the price of tickets again, they are going to lose so many people. Including me. Somebody who has followed the team for forty years and seen them play live more than 50 times on four continents.

#berhalterout

Gregg needs to admit he isn’t the man for the job. It’s that simple.

Remember when the USA used to take a bunch of nobodies and beat CONCACAF teams with players in Europe because we played tough disruptive defense and carefully studied how to structure two or three set pieces, two or three counters and two or three switches to exploit the flaws in their “system” to score one or two goals and secure victory against the run of play?

I do. And the roles are reversed.

If they don’t qualify, keep him, and raise the price of tickets again, they are going to lose so many people. Including me. Somebody who has followed the team for forty years and seen them play live more than 50 times on four continents.

#berhalterout
Jurgen Klopp is available. And the US has the types of players who fit the way he likes to play. Pay him what he wants for a 6 year contract to take us through 2030 and this group of players.

Interesting conspiracy theory on Twitter:

Weah wants Berhalter out. Doesn’t think we can advance deep in the tournament with him. Doesn’t think he should have to play now when he could be resting for the upcoming club season. So he took the red card to rest, torpedo the team and thus Berhalter.

It's a must win because I don't see Panama coming away with less than a draw vs Bolivia, as a matter of fact they'll probably play for the draw sitting in a low block.

The red card was just a terrible decision from Weah. That said, the US was still the better side even down to 10, until you factor in that they couldn't complete a ****ing pass. Jedi played like a nervous 12 year old just hammering balls up the field, often to red jersey. Our D is still getting gouged in spaces, like there always seems to be someone sitting in the middle of the box with no one marking them close enough to prevent a turn or shot.

That said, I now see what Berhalter sees in Balogun. Dude can rip the back of the net. Reyna was non existent today. McKennie had some of the brilliant moments we all love from him.

My worry is Uruguay can rest their starters and go into the game with the US playing backups who can work under the skin of the US players to draw the same reactions we saw from Weah. The US can't rest anyone and now has to figure out who plays on the right side in Weah's spot. Can you run Sargent down that side?
Does any of it matter. The tactical decisions were insane. Just amateur. The only player on our team that could arguably start at his position on any other club in the world, Musah, did not play. With qualification on the line how do you sit a player England admits would start for them?

You are down to ten men and you need energy and fluidity in mid field. You need a possession player who can hold the ball and let the defense rest. Thats Musah

Instead you take off another possession player and put a third center back on, a lineup we’ve never competitively used, and the communication was poor which was exploited for another goal.

This man is a disaster. I am not exaggerating when I say there are a half dozen youth coaches who could do the same or better. If for no other reason than their poor decisions would have no effect with our superior talent instead of this guy who constantly hurts us.

Next interesting Twitter take which apparently has wheels: Weston McKennie is close to finalizing an MLS deal to Cincinnati. He’s playing safe to avoid injury so he can clear the physical.

Next interesting Twitter take which apparently has wheels: Weston McKennie is close to finalizing an MLS deal to Cincinnati. He’s playing safe to avoid injury so he can clear the physical.
That'd be a weird move. He played pretty well for Juve last season. At least stick around in Germany and play in the Bundesliga. Cincinnati is fine but it's MLS and they got manhandled by New England last weekend and the Revs basically were the worst team in MLS until a 4 game win streak moved them out of the basement.

Apparently they have the money and want to spend it. We go through this every four to six years. A really good American goes cheap to Europe on a free and suddenly eight other guys get deals and we assume that makes them good. Nobody else seems to ask just exactly how did Brek Shea and Josh Gatt happen?

That'd be a weird move. He played pretty well for Juve last season. At least stick around in Germany and play in the Bundesliga. Cincinnati is fine but it's MLS and they got manhandled by New England last weekend and the Revs basically were the worst team in MLS until a 4 game win streak moved them out of the basement.
The Revs have talent. They would be in first place without the weird no reasons given suspension of Bruce Arena months ago, who apparently resigned this morning.

The Revs have talent. They would be in first place without the weird no reasons given suspension of Bruce Arena months ago, who apparently resigned this morning.
He was accused of sexual harassment within the Revs complex, but it happened like 3 years ago (something like that, not having a subscription to the Globe, I don't get all the info, just bits and pieces). The Revs do have talent, unfortunately it's all concentrated up front and their backline is even less effective than the USMNTs. And the Revs have been bitten by their own success of developing players. They've lost 2 of the best GKs in MLS the last 3 years in Turner and Petrovic and they lost Tajon Buchanan who was a freaking cheat code in MLS.

And I liked Arena as a coach. He got a raw deal after the whole TnT debacle. That squad is probably not the one he would have constructed for qualifying but there's not much he could do that deep into it. I would have liked to seen him with this group. Feel like the back line would be a little more together and defend set pieces a little better.

I am going to continue that the US needs to at least approach Klopp after the Copa flame out. I can go spot for spot and compare skill sets with what Klopp does and even compare players to what he had at Liverpool over the years. Maybe the guys aren't quite as good but they can play that style exactly how Klopp wants them to. Biggest difference is the US has no van Dijk equivalent to clean up all the messes. But the 3 forward spots, s FBs, and even the MFs all would excel in Klopp's system.

Huffy's take on Weah's red card is interesting. I'm torn on it since I believe first, it's like betraying your teammates and Weah will take some heat, and 2nd, if it helps get rid of Burrhalter, hallelujah! In any event, we need someone who will instill some discipline in the troops. I'm sick of the reporting that they all love each other and the locker room is bla, bla, bla. We need some toughness and nastiness among the troops (besides Tyler Adams) to kick some butt in practices and games. You do not necessarily have to be loved to be a great teammate, nor coach for that matter. I've said many times, how can a country with 360 million people not develop world class defensive players? We've got one guy. And another in Germany whom Burrhalter apparently detests.

Last night was all about Burrhalter's replacements and when they entered and it's not the first time we've seen it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT