ADVERTISEMENT

The First Debate

Fairly confident he was talking about solar planes as electric planes of any size aren’t currently feasible due to the weight of the batteries required to store the energy.
How in the hell can you defend that statement? Like seriously.

For literally anyone building a “solar plane”the first thing they would think about is a battery charging system.

Moreover it’s just an attack on innovation, the likes of which 90% of Trumps audience can’t really understand. (The same folks who were asked to “do their own research”)

There are many opportunities in the aviation space to, if nothing else, greatly decrease the greenhouse emissions of commercial air travel. Trump’s allies want to keep the country hooked on fossil fuels so they will push carbon capture, even though that doesn’t really solve the nation’s climate issues. There could also be opportunities to use other sorts of power (battery, hydrogen) etc… during cruising to reduce emmissions, even if you wanted the extra power for jet propulsion for takeoff.

Last edited:
How in the hell can you defend that statement? Like seriously.

For literally anyone building a “solar plane”the first thing they would think about is a battery charging system.

Moreover it’s just an attack on innovation, the likes of which 90% of Trumps audience can’t really understand. (The same folks who were asked to “do their own research”)

There are many opportunities in the aviation space to, if nothing else, greatly decrease the greenhouse emissions of commercial air travel. Trump’s allies want to keep the country hooked on fossil fuels so they will push carbon capture, even though that doesn’t really solve the nation’s climate issues. There could also be opportunities to use other sorts of power (battery, hydrogen) etc… during cruising to reduce emmissions, even if you wanted the extra power for jet propulsion for takeoff.
Electric planes of any size simply aren’t currently feasible and won’t be for the foreseeable future. The whole weight and getting off the ground thing. It’s not complicated. Solar is a little more feasible as long as your generating electricity as you fly thus eliminating the need to large heavy batteries to store the energy. Not sure why you’re talking about electric planes when technology isn’t close to making such a thing work.

Electric planes of any size simply aren’t currently feasible and won’t be for the foreseeable future. The whole weight and getting off the ground thing. It’s not complicated. Solar is a little more feasible as long as your generating electricity as you fly thus eliminating the need to large heavy batteries to store the energy. Not sure why you’re talking about electric planes when technology isn’t close to making such a thing work.
This guy has never heard of RC planes or drones I suppose.

This isn’t even true. All Electric passenger style planes (think Cessna to Learjet) have already been developed and flown.

You’re referring to Airliners which do have a problem.

Again, the political position is just a front in order to sell the public on developing an technology and infrastructure that my donors control instead of someone else’s

Last edited:
This guy has never heard of RC planes or drones I suppose.

This isn’t even true. All Electric passenger style planes (think Cessna to Learjet) have already been developed and flown.

You’re referring to Airliners which do have a problem.

Again, the political position is just a front in order to sell the public on developing an technology and infrastructure that my donors control instead of someone else’s
I failed English 101 in my post. I meant to say “larger planes”. Do you have a link to passenger electric planes which are being flown. I would like to read about how far the technology has come if in fact we’re able to produce viable passenger planes ran on electricity (not solar).

I failed English 101 in my post. I meant to say “larger planes”. Do you have a link to passenger electric planes which are being flown. I would like to read about how far the technology has come if in fact we’re able to produce viable passenger planes ran on electricity (not solar).

I’m not saying this is the end-all-be-all of this technology. But it got off the ground…

I would also say that there are many, many innovative ways that electricity and storage can be used to propel humans into and through the air. We should not minimize it as a possibility just because of some of its limitations anymore than we should have minimized Jet fuel for its potential safety hazards as a flammable substance when combustion engine flight was first being developed.

If the fundamentals are strong, you can innovate. Maybe we use a catapult system to get these things going and use some ground based power to alleviate the off-grounding energy needs.

Last edited:
Looks like it’s flown for 8 minutes. Hopefully it turns out to be feasible. I see operational date projected to be sometime in 2027.
How long did the first Wright Brother’s flight last? How long after that before they could carry significant cargo? 😉

How long did the first Wright Brother’s flight last? How long after that before they could carry significant cargo? 😉
Hopefully the technology develops to make electric commercial aircraft feasible. Still believe we are a decade or so away. Assume lighter batteries and more wing surface area are some of the keys here.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Hopefully the technology develops to make electric commercial aircraft feasible. Still believe we are a decade or so away. Assume lighter batteries and more wing surface area are some of the keys here.
You’re probably correct, but just keep in mind that commercial passenger air travel took around 30 years to develop after the advent of combustion driven heavier-than-air flight. And that required a bunch in subsidies for the government to keep airline companies afloat while they were during out the technology and being mostly employed to deliver mail.

10 years from the first flight to commercial travel would be a 3x improvement…. And it might help improve that timeline if people weren’t disparaging it as a inviable exploration.

You’re probably correct, but just keep in mind that commercial passenger air travel took around 30 years to develop after the advent of combustion driven heavier-than-air flight. And that required a bunch in subsidies for the government to keep airline companies afloat while they were during out the technology and being mostly employed to deliver mail.

10 years from the first flight to commercial travel would be a 3x improvement…. And it might help improve that timeline if people weren’t disparaging it as a inviable exploration.
The good news is the technology for electric cars seems to be similar to that of planes. Lots of research going into developing lighter longer lasting batteries. I have zero clue as to the technology nor the barriers we face in developing light batteries which can store large amount of power.

Graphene technology should be helped by another 10 years. The only fully produced graphene coating on airplane wings has been a prototype drone. The wings were 11.5 feet in length, and 17% lighter than if they had coated it with carbon fiber. And that's only coating it with graphene. If the technology becomes cheap enough and advanced enough to make things like the wings out of sheets of graphene and epoxies, it could reduce the weight of the entire aircraft by 30%, if used throughout the entire aircraft. But that technology is probably not 10 years from now. More like 30 years. I'm guessing it will be utilized enough to lighten the aircraft weight by 5% in 10 years.

I don't think that tech will be dissuaded or disadvantaged by Trump's disfavor.

The good news is the technology for electric cars seems to be similar to that of planes. Lots of research going into developing lighter longer lasting batteries. I have zero clue as to the technology nor the barriers we face in developing light batteries which can store large amount of power.
I’ll tell you that the utility scale battery storage I have visited are quite impressive. They’re not solutions to all of our problems, and there are operational issues to work through, but there is a lot of promise there.

Reactions: lawpoke87
CNN now going after Dems for hiding Biden’s cognitive decline. The same station who claimed what we saw was doctored is now asking how can you not believe what you saw and heard? Just bizarre.

Have you seen who now owns CNN?

That article is two years old. CNN has been a Biden and Dem mouthpiece during that time. The only thing which has changed is CNN now realizes Biden can’t beat Trump and are trying to help the Dems torpedo his nomination. Reminding people of his cognitive issues despite claiming they are fiction over the past four years are the marching orders. CNN is still an extension of the Dem party. A party which now wants Biden out.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
That article is two years old. CNN has been a Biden and Dem mouthpiece during that time. The only thing which has changed is CNN now realizes Biden can’t beat Trump and are trying to help the Dems torpedo his nomination. Reminding people of his cognitive issues despite claiming they are fiction over the past four years are the marching orders. CNN is still an extension of the Dem party. A party which now wants Biden out.
Yep, that's the only thing that's changed. They see a weakening candidate that lost ground in the debate. That's gives them the excuse and the reason to attack Biden's candidacy. The majority of liberal pundits knew of Biden's situation, or had strong suspicions about it through the rumor mill. I guarantee you there was not as much surprise in the media as they are portraying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT