ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Player Pool Discussion

Looking at who is not in the U23 squad, it looks like they are going use Gio and others with the senior team for the Copa. We might not be as strong at the Olympics as we thought.

Butt Fugly!! Burrhalter Ball results in a 5-1 loss to Columbia. Brazil Wednesday & Copa America. will be an instant reply as long as this dipstick is our coach.

Last edited:
And Brazil is playing their leading lineup against us. They played their subs against Mexico and beat them 1-0.

Butt Fugly!! Burrhalter Ball results in a 5-1 loss to Columbia. Brazil Wednesday & Copa America. will be an instant reply as long as this dipstick is our coach.
What’s shocking, beyond the fact it leaked at all, is the supposed fact that this guy was the choice amongst the players. As finalists leaked out, the team was supposedly unanimously in favor of him over the alternatives.

Reactions: quincy101
"we're treating it seriously", "we'll try different looks", "to gain information and prepare for the Copa America" bla, bla bla ad nauseum. Not one word about winning the match in Burrhalter's pre-match presser.

Having ragged on the coach, the players pretty much sucked themselves, starting with Matt Turner and on down the roster. No one had a good game.

BTW, Mex rallied and I think it ended 2-2 vs Brazil. Uh Oh!

"we're treating it seriously", "we'll try different looks", "to gain information and prepare for the Copa America" bla, bla bla ad nauseum. Not one word about winning the match in Burrhalter's pre-match presser.

Having ragged on the coach, the players pretty much sucked themselves, starting with Matt Turner and on down the roster. No one had a good game.

I saw some scores on google when I pulled up something about the US game. Didn't realize the game wasn't over yet. 3-2 Brazil with Brazilian subs lineup.

3-2 Brazil.

And blaming Turner is not an answer. 1st goal is 100% on Jedi for not being aware of where the attackers were and he just set up a sitter on the 6. 2nd goal was freaking tremendous on part of the Colombian player. Just a wreck in the 6 on the corner though on that play. I thought there were stretches that the US attack looked really good but the service and finishing was not where it needed to be.

Big takeaways, the US really struggles coming out of the back without Dest or Adams. I've not liked a single of Berhalter's choices with regards to who should play the 6. And something is wrong with Balogun. Either he doesn't get what his role is and where he should be or Berhalter doesn't know how to use him. He has basically not been involved or effective or dangerous when he's played for the US. Wright might be a better option to start. Or Sargent who gives you the added dimension of being a good defender on set pieces and overall.

And referees need to start treating Pulisic like the star he is. The number of cynical fouls, grabs and drag downs on him as he's getting ready to blow by MFs and defenders is just ridiculous. That happens to Vini Jr or Mbappe and there's a card coming out no matter when in the game it happens. I thought Pulisic actually played well yesterday. Reyna needed more time in the ball. McKennie looked disinterested. Weah was good but less dangerous than when he's running that side of the field along with Dest. Scally isn't the same player Dest is and he's not a danger to blow by anyone out there and him or having the same pace that Dest does really shows up in trying to defend the counters that come. That right side was exposed several times yesterday. Not sure if Malik Tillman would be a better option to start out there. Chris Richards was OK but his lack of touch really was exposed. I thought Ream was solid when he didn't have to cover the entirety of the back by himself at times.

He knows how to use Balogun, he won’t. Balogun is an off shoulder or over shoulder player. GB does not play that direct. Balogun needs Reyna to be the focal point of the attack to create the space needed for Balogun to run onto shoulder service. Ain’t no way GB is doing that. Balogun is wasted in this offense with this coach.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I wasn’t able to watch the game because I’m out camping but if Berhalter starts Cardoso and Scally in the Copa he should be fired immediately. This “we’ll try this and that” was what screwed us in the last WC. You get your best players on the field and let the play off each other. Sticking this guy in then that guy in is crap.

I wasn’t able to watch the game because I’m out camping but if Berhalter starts Cardoso and Scally in the Copa he should be fired immediately. This “we’ll try this and that” was what screwed us in the last WC. You get your best players on the field and let the play off each other. Sticking this guy in then that guy in is crap.
This was a friendly. He needs to find a 6 and 5 for Copa because his 1st choice selections are not available. I don't think Cardosa is the answer at 6. Maybe De La Torre but I don't think so. We may be going back to running a pseudo double 6 with Musah and McKennie for the time being until Adams is fit enough to be a regular again. I know no one wants to revisit Kellyn Acosta but he may be a temp stop gap so Musah and McKennie can play their normal positions/styles.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
And referees need to start treating Pulisic like the star he is. The number of cynical fouls, grabs and drag downs on him as he's getting ready to blow by MFs and defenders is just ridiculous. That happens to Vini Jr or Mbappe and there's a card coming out no matter when in the game it happens.

This was a friendly. He needs to find a 6 and 5 for Copa because his 1st choice selections are not available. I don't think Cardosa is the answer at 6. Maybe De La Torre but I don't think so. We may be going back to running a pseudo double 6 with Musah and McKennie for the time being until Adams is fit enough to be a regular again. I know no one wants to revisit Kellyn Acosta but he may be a temp stop gap so Musah and McKennie can play their normal positions/styles.
Yes to all of this except to Acosta.

I haven't seen it mentioned on here yet, but Pulisic was named to the Serie A Top 11 for this past season. Pretty lofty accomplishment. Maybe the problem at Chelsea was Tuchel and not Pulisic. I mean, Bayern fired him after less than a full season, PSG got rid of him after only a couple of seasons. He did well at Dortmund because they do an amazing job of developing good players and then selling them off for huge profit. He sort of derailed Pulisic there as well. The fact he could succeed at Bayern should tell you something. No trophies at all and they finished 3rd in Bundesliga after they had won like 7-8 Bundesliga titles in a row. Either there or PSG are the two easiest high profile jobs in Europe because you should win the domestic league at a minimum of every other year as they have the most resources and best facilities in their respective leagues, and are the most popular clubs in their homelands and can grab all the highest French and German talent respectively if they want it. It's hard to fail at those places and somehow he's managed to flame out in both places. I mean Werner and Havertz both played at Chelsea for him and neither did jack squat really. Havertz had a really good season for Arsenal this year. I am now hearing Tuchel's name associated with Manchester United (as has my son and he's not too happy about it) and all I can think is "Thank God they don't have any high level US players there". Tuchel is like a younger version of Jose Mourinho...stubborn and set in their ways and won't adapt style to fit the players they have. Maybe they aren't great managers after all. Sadly, Berhalter reminds me of Tuchel a bit. Set in his ways and always blaming someone else for his shortcomings.

My guess is when they put up more money to hire somebody better.
You'd be guessing wrong. I dont think they are trying to win. If you aren't trying to win, there is no reason to pay your coach.

In 2022, Phillip Montgomery had a higher base salary than GB. Incredibly, GB hit nearly all his incentives and still only made $2.3 million. Had PM made the NYD bowl, he would have made more overall.

Emma Hayes, the women's coach, has the same base salary and will out earn GB if she wins the WC and he wins the WC.

Some say this is an attempt to make a political statement. Others are more cynical and say it hides deep fiscal responsibility issues at USSF. Im not sure I believe that. I do believe that they are sick of paying legal bills to defend lawsuits by the female players looking to leverage their money and profile. Equal pay for coaches makes defending those lawsuits easier.

GB ranks 12th in base compensation, adjusting for currency values and taxation. Spain is the only legitimate soccer nation that pays a lower base salary, but is amongst the highest paid if the coach reaches the semifinal. Every coach above GB has significantly higher incentives. Yet, the USA dwarfs the world in revenue generated. The team just doesnt see any of it.

And it might be because they aren't trying to win.

You'd be guessing wrong. I dont think they are trying to win. If you aren't trying to win, there is no reason to pay your coach.

In 2022, Phillip Montgomery had a higher base salary than GB. Incredibly, GB hit nearly all his incentives and still only made $2.3 million. Had PM made the NYD bowl, he would have made more overall.

Emma Hayes, the women's coach, has the same base salary and will out earn GB if she wins the WC and he wins the WC.

Some say this is an attempt to make a political statement. Others are more cynical and say it hides deep fiscal responsibility issues at USSF. Im not sure I believe that. I do believe that they are sick of paying legal bills to defend lawsuits by the female players looking to leverage their money and profile. Equal pay for coaches makes defending those lawsuits easier.

GB ranks 12th in base compensation, adjusting for currency values and taxation. Spain is the only legitimate soccer nation that pays a lower base salary, but is amongst the highest paid if the coach reaches the semifinal. Every coach above GB has significantly higher incentives. Yet, the USA dwarfs the world in revenue generated. The team just doesnt see any of it.

And it might be because they aren't trying to win.
Putting up more money to hire somebody better, doesn't just mean base salary. And all those desires, lack there of, fiscal irresponsibility, etc, etc. Don't affect the fact that we need to put up more money for the coach to win. They are just the possible reasons we don't put up more money.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Putting up more money to hire somebody better, doesn't just mean base salary. And all those desires, lack there of, fiscal irresponsibility, etc, etc. Don't affect the fact that we need to put up more money for the coach to win. They are just the possible reasons we don't put up more money.
Because someone else at USSF is making more money than their counterparts worldwide. Other countries invest in the coaching...the USSF invests in SUM and making $$$ for their advertisers/sponsors.

Better start for the US in this one, I missed the Brazil goal but since I've turned it on the US has looked pretty strong in the attack and Pulisic found a goal after being fouled just outside the box. A brilliant free kick had Allison leaning the wrong way.

Brazil is not playing their finest 11 as far as I can tell. Several top flight players like Gabriel Jesus and Gabriel not in the starting lineup. Vini Jr and Rodrygo are both starting though. It's not a bad lineup by any means but I think Brazil has a better 11 combo out there than this one.

But the US press has worked when they've had a chance to set it up. Scally has looked good going forward in this one. And I think they are playing Musah and McKennie in the double 6 pivot with Reyna playing more of the 10 slot in this one.

1-1 at half.

Super weird thing just happened. Chris Richards was whistled for a foul and shown yellow. Foul was about 25 yds from goal and it was in a through ball to Rodrygo. As the US is setting up the wall to defend the free kick, ref is called over for a VAR check. Obviously everyone thinks he's reviewing to see if the card should have been a red card for a DOGSO foul. Video shows that Richards got a good touch on the ball, so not expecting it to be upgraded. Ref comes back and wipes out the foul and the the card on Richards and gives the US the ball in a drop ball. Had no idea you could overturn a foul and restart with VAR like this. I wonder if it's something CONMEBOL and CONCACAF agreed to try in this version of Copa America and not applies to fouls and free kicks given that could result in direct scoring chances.

I've never seen or heard of VAR being applied in this manner.

Super weird thing just happened. Chris Richards was whistled for a foul and shown yellow. Foul was about 25 yds from goal and it was in a through ball to Rodrygo. As the US is setting up the wall to defend the free kick, ref is called over for a VAR check. Obviously everyone thinks he's reviewing to see if the card should have been a red card for a DOGSO foul. Video shows that Richards got a good touch on the ball, so not expecting it to be upgraded. Ref comes back and wipes out the foul and the the card on Richards and gives the US the ball in a drop ball. Had no idea you could overturn a foul and restart with VAR like this. I wonder if it's something CONMEBOL and CONCACAF agreed to try in this version of Copa America and not applies to fouls and free kicks given that could result in direct scoring chances.

The announcing crew was saying that can only happen when the call is being reviewed to upgrade to a red.

Before Brazil’s goal Musah had a beautiful shot that got past Allison and hit the crossbar. He was unlucky that he hit enough of the bar that when it hit the keeper’s back it bounced straight down rather than bouncing into the net.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The announcing crew was saying that can only happen when the call is being reviewed to upgrade to a red.
Right. That's exactly what I was thinking and my understanding for the uses of VAR when reviewing a foul and the appropriate discipline. I've never seen it used like it was in this instance and wasn't even aware it could be used as it was tonight. For me it opens up a can of worms that will drag games on with 10+ minutes of stoppage time almost guaranteed if this becomes a norm. I actually thought the ref mad a good call and the yellow was appropriate given the situation as it definitely would have been seems stopping a promising attack. I didn't think it rose to the level of DOGSO because Rodrygo didn't have the ball yet. That's me.

I thought it was a good performance last night. The US had their share of good opportunities on goal and stayed organized in defense.

They really ceded possession to Brazil in the second half and got behind the ball. I thought it would be impossible to withstand that kind of pressure for an entire half to preserve a draw but they did somehow. Even had opportunities in transition to pull ahead.

Never seen that in my life, but it isn't bad that it happened! I thought Richards had a good chance of leaving until they showed the closeup.

I thought it was a good performance last night. The US had their share of good opportunities on goal and stayed organized in defense.

They really ceded possession to Brazil in the second half and got behind the ball. I thought it would be impossible to withstand that kind of pressure for an entire half to preserve a draw but they did somehow. Even had opportunities in transition to pull ahead.
Given columbia, it was a good result. We had tons of great chances. It was a good confidence boost going into Copa America after that debacle after Columbia.

And particularly for Matt Turner after his gaffe in the 17th minute clearance. The bad news....it may have saved Burrhalter's job although I just think it was the players determination to prove they weren't as bad as vs Columbia.

I don’t think there’s a chance in Houston he gets fired. Even a no win no goal performance in the Copa would not be a problem.

Anybody notice Pulisic's goal looked like a playground/practiced play when CP takes his first step toward the ball, 2 of our guys in front of Brazil's wall sprint to the left leaving a hole in the defense and CP places it perfectly in the near corner. What a cool play but I find it hard to believe Burrhalter put it in.

Tillman the younger? Prolly so, but both of them out wouldn't bother me. 9-10 days till the COPA. It's nice Burrhalter called Sarge up, but will he play him? Doubtful, not just for injury but fitness.

Anybody notice Pulisic's goal looked like a playground/practiced play when CP takes his first step toward the ball, 2 of our guys in front of Brazil's wall sprint to the left leaving a hole in the defense and CP places it perfectly in the near corner. What a cool play but I find it hard to believe Burrhalter put it in.
Definitely a training ground play. And an approach to free kicks from shooting range you don't see often enough. The GKs are ALWAYS cheating to the side the wall is supposed to cover, even Allison was anticipating that way. The 2 runners are basically a distraction to the GK. Get his eyes on something that's not the ball just for a split second. The shot was perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT