ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT New Era

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So as promised, the US is playing a frenetic high pressure vs Panama tonight. Already I like the renewed energy and focus the US seems to be playing with. Aidan Morris and Busio with starts in the MF along with Musah and Jedi (US is playing a 3-4-2-1 with Jedi playing more of an outside wing. So far everyone, with the exception of Morris, seems up to the task. Morris just hasn't been crisp in his passing. US has created some dynamic attack. Panama hasn't done much. Any time they seem to make a run or build an attack the US defense has been there.

I expect McKennie to come on in the 2nd half. Hopefully he does so for Morris.

Despite some sloppy passes in the first half on the defensive end it has been a good performance.

Excellent volley by Musah for the winning goal and a late insurance goal by Pepi to seal the deal. I know it inconsequential but it’s nice to see a coach on the sideline who’s not wearing an old T-shirt and a week’s growth of beard.

Reactions: quincy101
Excellent volley by Musah for the winning goal and a late insurance goal by Pepi to seal the deal. I know it inconsequential but it’s nice to see a coach on the sideline who’s not wearing an old T-shirt and a week’s growth of beard.
Be nice to see how they fare against Mexico with the new coach.

Kind of reminds me of Burrhalter's "build from the back" as we spent most of the time kicking it back & forth at midfield. Still, I noticed a tougher effort on 50/50 balls and overall play and think it will get better with all our injured starters back in the future.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Kind of reminds me of Burrhalter's "build from the back" as we spent most of the time kicking it back & forth at midfield. Still, I noticed a tougher effort on 50/50 balls and overall play and think it will get better with all our injured starters back in the future.
It was more calculated in the play from the back. I felt it wasn't just making passes to keep the ball with no desire to go forward. I felt that Musah and Busio, when they got the ball in the MF, they looked to turn and go forward when they could. Under Berhalter, that pass always came backwards. The other thing...the passing in the back wasn't predictable like it was under Berhalter. Passes skipped levels and lines to open up spaces. When the primary players were in, the attack and move to get forward was nice. Jedi won a lot of 50/50 high balls. His connection and understanding with Pulisic up the left was a thing of beauty. Under Berhalter you would have never seen Jedi making an inside run to goal...he was stuck in that 1st lane (edge of penalty area to the touchline). Sargent had some nice hold up play and I felt Musah was fantastic. Busio was good as well and I liked McKenzie's activity in cleaning up the crosses and high balls into the box. He was very solid last night. Scally was steady as was Ream. I liked Tessman's activity as well. He looked good on the ball and he seems to be a really big guy.

The one question I have is what does Poch do with Dest when he returns? In the 3-4-2-1, he doesn't really fit in the 3. Does he move up into one of the MF roles and you play Jedi-Adams-Dest-McKennie, with Weah and Pulisic as the double 10s and then Sargent/Balogun up top? Who's the 3rd defender in that instance? Does that leave you with Scally having a permanent role along with 2 CBs?

I also enjoyed the freedom the players seemed to play with. It keeps them engaged instead of pigeon holing them. There's a Ted Lasso episode where he all of a sudden sees the triangles and the Total Football concept and talks about allowing players the freedom of movement but the other players needing to understand and shift/cover. I also like the fact that Poch wants to challenge the defenders to play a higher line and you could hear him shouting for them to move up. Last, I thought Turner was very good last night. As a shot stopper he's excellent. His feet still need work as his distribution out of the back when it's passed back to him is suspect. Several times he put balls directly out trying to hit Jedi or Musah up a wing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT