ADVERTISEMENT

Gold Cup

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So, the US is playing well other than the goal they conceded to a fired up Jamaican side. Despite that the US looked decent with their B side. They are playing everyone else's A side, except Mexico May be playing the A-minus side. Lots of starters playing for Mexico minus Lozano (injured). I think the days of Herrera, Chicharito, and Raul Jimenez are over.

Shocking results so far in that Canada hasn't won in their 1st two group games instead drawing Guadeloupe 2-2, and a scoreless draw with Guatemala who actually created more chances than Canada.

US plays T&T today and if they win by 2+ goals, will likely earn 1st in the group and avoid Mexico until the finals setting up a nice clash. Canada will likely need to beat Cuba by 2+ goals and hope Guatemala and Guadeloupe don't draw. Cuba has been a disappointment so far. Coming in I think Cuba was pegged to finish 2nd in the group. The little islands have played well. Guadeloupe for sure. Martinique has played well also.

CONCACAF mainstays Costa Rica and Honduras have been dreadful.

Another 6-0 win today although T&T had a couple of really good chances. This isn’t the EUFA championships or anything but Ferreira is finishing better than I’ve ever seen from him.

Reactions: drboobay
Another 6-0 win today although T&T had a couple of really good chances. This isn’t the EUFA championships or anything but Ferreira is finishing better than I’ve ever seen from him.
Ferreira looked fantastic in the T&T and SKN matches. I haven't been watching non-world cup USMNT games for too long so I don't know if this is normal from him but he seemed calm and "business as usual" with back to back hat tricks.

I realize the competition is much lower, especially the past 2 matches, but those were fun games to watch. Cade Cowell's goal last night was a thriller and impressive footwork. I did feel he almost over did the footwork and lost the ball but a goal is a goal and that's a great way to get your first international goal.

I hadn’t seen Cowell play until this competition and while he has a lot of developing to do he’s young and there’s potential there. I don’t think we see him in ‘26 but maybe ‘30?

I hadn’t seen Cowell play until this competition and while he has a lot of developing to do he’s young and there’s potential there. I don’t think we see him in ‘26 but maybe ‘30?
I love Cade Cowell's game. He's a slightly smaller but faster version of Jordan Morris with a tad more technical skill in 1 v 1 situations. I don't expect Morris to win those battles but I want to watch Cowell go at defenders in those situations.

@cmullins My son calls Ferreira the Caribbean Master. If you look at all his goals in a USMNT uniform, they are against scrubs or in meaningless friendlies. He's got 14 goals in 21 USMNT matches. That's pretty impressive...BUT they come at the expense of: Trinidad & Tobago (5), St. Kitts and Nevis (3), Grenada (4). He's scored 1 goal against Panama in WCQ, and 1 goal against Mexico in a friendly. Essentially he's scored 1 goal in an important game. While the Gold Cup games count, those goals are getting scored by the other 9 like Vazquez if Ferreira isn't in the game.

Something I did not know about Ferreira, he played 14 games with the Tulsa Roughnecks, on loan from Dallas, in 2018 and scored 6 goals.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
We all know who the A-Team is. The only thing left for Beer?halter to decide is who the back-ups will be to cover for injuries and fitness heading into the Copa America and the '26 WC. Will he choose wisely? Past history leaves many doubts.

It's encouraging that guys like Ferriera, Vasquez, Zendejas, Busio, et. al. have done well in Gold Cup. But they absolutely must continue doing so & improve with their club teams, against much tougher competition, to be considered.

Beer?halter has his faves (and his non-favorites), many of which are has-beens from MLS that get repeatedly called up. Will this continue? Has he learned anything? Will his ego and perceived infallibility allow him to do what's right for USMNT success? We'll see over the next 3 years.

We all know who the A-Team is. The only thing left for Beer?halter to decide is who the back-ups will be to cover for injuries and fitness heading into the Copa America and the '26 WC. Will he choose wisely? Past history leaves many doubts.

It's encouraging that guys like Ferriera, Vasquez, Zendejas, Busio, et. al. have done well in Gold Cup. But they absolutely must continue doing so & improve with their club teams, against much tougher competition, to be considered.

Beer?halter has his faves (and his non-favorites), many of which are has-beens from MLS that get repeatedly called up. Will this continue? Has he learned anything? Will his ego and perceived infallibility allow him to do what's right for USMNT success? We'll see over the next 3 years.
The USSF needs to pay close attention to what Berhalter does. The US should absolutely be trying to win Gold Cup next year and has the available pool of players that can do so, even considering it would mean beating both Argentina and Brazil....the US 100% has the talent to do it unless Berhalter decides Walker-Zimmerman and Aaron Long need to start at CB to give MLS exposure. The opportunity to play in Copa America is not often and only extended to non South American nations occasionally although there is probably an agreement to run a joint tourney with CONCACAF every other comp or so (not sure). There is no need for Aaron Long to ever suit up for the US again. NONE. Even on the B-side. There are better alternatives. Callaghan has shown that with the A-side, the US is pretty dominant in the region. It's pretty dominant with the B-side as well (while Mexico's A-minus side is out there losing to Qatar and Canada's A-minus side is really struggling...this all points to the depth of the talent pool the US currently enjoys). The starting XI is all but set and the biggest question is which MFs start out of Adams, Musah, Reyna, and McKennie? That's the hardest question Berhalter has to answer. How many managers would love to have a problem like that? And I hope Reyna gets a fair shot. At 20 years old it is clear he is a world class player. He's got as much technical skill as his dad, and I think he is both quicker and sees the field better than his old man. He unfortunately inherited his dad's susceptibility to injuries.

Who is the backup to Balogun is the next biggest question? Is it Ferreira? Is it Vazquez? Is it Pefok or Pepi? And when you look at those options, you've got 4 pretty good choices who all will ask different questions of the defense. Nobody ever questions Ferreira's ability to find small spaces and see runs that can be made and he is pretty proactive at doing so. It's always been about his ability to finish after making those runs. Maybe these Gold Cup games get him to a confidence level that we start seeing that pay off in bigger games against better opponents. Vazquez is going to be an absolute load to handle when given the chance. Fast and big and physical. And we all know Pepi an Pefok have performed at elevated levels in Europe. The outside wings should be set with Weah and Pulisic. This gives the US 2 players that opposing defenses actually fear on the outside which frees space in the middle and both Pulisic and Weah are capable of picking an open man out in the box and getting the ball to them.

The backline starters are set IMO. Miles Robinson, Chris Richards, Jedi, and Dest. You've got nice options for either side in Scally, and I expect Ream to be in the mix for Copa America next year but think he's a long shot for 2026 due to his age.

In goal I think we are set with Turner through 2026 unless Slonina ends up being the starter at Chelsea and goes sometime in the next couple of years. He has that potential.

2026 cannot get here soon enough for me!

I love Cade Cowell's game. He's a slightly smaller but faster version of Jordan Morris with a tad more technical skill in 1 v 1 situations. I don't expect Morris to win those battles but I want to watch Cowell go at defenders in those situations.

@cmullins My son calls Ferreira the Caribbean Master. If you look at all his goals in a USMNT uniform, they are against scrubs or in meaningless friendlies. He's got 14 goals in 21 USMNT matches. That's pretty impressive...BUT they come at the expense of: Trinidad & Tobago (5), St. Kitts and Nevis (3), Grenada (4). He's scored 1 goal against Panama in WCQ, and 1 goal against Mexico in a friendly. Essentially he's scored 1 goal in an important game. While the Gold Cup games count, those goals are getting scored by the other 9 like Vazquez if Ferreira isn't in the game.

Something I did not know about Ferreira, he played 14 games with the Tulsa Roughnecks, on loan from Dallas, in 2018 and scored 6 goals.
I get your point but it is easy to miss the mark on opportunities. Most of his goals were very well taken opportunities and he only really missed one he should gave gotten.

Given his relative youth I am holding out hope we are seeing signs of development and not just results of poor competition.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Who is the backup to Balogun is the next biggest question
Few mention Josh Sargent as that possibility. While he's stuck in the English Championship for another season, and his current coach rarely plays him at the 9, he needs to get on a scoring tear to put himself back into Beer?halter's picture. Unfortunately, Carrot Top appears to be one of our Coach's (un)favorites.

CONCACAF has a referee problem. Not one CONCACAF ref is brave enough to stand up to Mexico and card their floppers. Numerous occasions last night the ref waived off obvious dives and attempts to draw a PK call or a 2nd yellow....if it's not a foul and they roll around like they've been shot, then it's a dive and simulation. Throw an early yellow on those situations and it will stop. Uriel Antuna is the absolute worst on this. Anytime anyone gets close enough to sneeze near him he falls over like he's been hit by a Mack truck. I actually thought the ref called a pretty fair game last night and wasn't buying Mexico's cliff diving performances, but those need to be carded if we ever hope to eliminate it from the game.

Last night's game was ragged. Several times my wife commented how she expected to see more skill and precision in passing, saying it looked like 10 year olds out there. I agree. While the game had action back and forth, it was a very ragged game both ways. Panama had way too many give aways in their own defensive 1/3 and Mexico's backline looked absolutely terrible in 1 v 1 defending and were lucky Panama's ability to hit a quality cross or service into the box was non existent last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT