ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Smith

I still stand by my assessment. Tyler can be an all pro guard. He will have a short shelf life as a tackle in the NFL
I hate to see the potential for his confidence to get destroyed playing "out of position" because of an injury. I say out of position because he's only worked at guard for the most of training camp with the protection of an all-Pro LT to help him into NFL life. Now he gets thrust into the 2nd most important position on offense, as a rookie, without the protection of an all-Pro guard or tackle right next to him. Destroying a 1st year player's confidence like may happen will likely shorten his career potential by 3-4 yrs. I mean, he was being praised for his work at LG and the second he gives up a sack or takes a holding penalty on the outside the fans and media are going to start questioning Dallas' reasoning for using a 1st round pick on him. He's in a 95% no win situation right now. He can play well or be adequate out there this season and next year he's going to get shoved back inside to guard when Tyron Smith comes back. The only way Tyler wins at this is he becomes a rookie all-pro at LT making Tyron Smith expendable and the Cowboys trade Tyron for a 2nd or 3rd round pick going into the draft next year.

And circle October 30th. That's when the Cowboys and Bears play and you'll see Trevis and Tyler going mano y mano with each other!

Reactions: loca2874
I hate to see the potential for his confidence to get destroyed playing "out of position" because of an injury. I say out of position because he's only worked at guard for the most of training camp with the protection of an all-Pro LT to help him into NFL life. Now he gets thrust into the 2nd most important position on offense, as a rookie, without the protection of an all-Pro guard or tackle right next to him. Destroying a 1st year player's confidence like may happen will likely shorten his career potential by 3-4 yrs. I mean, he was being praised for his work at LG and the second he gives up a sack or takes a holding penalty on the outside the fans and media are going to start questioning Dallas' reasoning for using a 1st round pick on him. He's in a 95% no win situation right now. He can play well or be adequate out there this season and next year he's going to get shoved back inside to guard when Tyron Smith comes back. The only way Tyler wins at this is he becomes a rookie all-pro at LT making Tyron Smith expendable and the Cowboys trade Tyron for a 2nd or 3rd round pick going into the draft next year.

And circle October 30th. That's when the Cowboys and Bears play and you'll see Trevis and Tyler going mano y mano with each other!
Right now all projections for Tyler have him at LG. LT has been placed inside of Josh Balls hands. They have Tyler projected right now to be the backup LT. This isn’t official though

Right now all projections for Tyler have him at LG. LT has been placed inside of Josh Balls hands. They have Tyler projected right now to be the backup LT. This isn’t official though
OK, I swear I saw a quote from Jerry Jones saying Tyler would be moving to LT, just a lot sooner in his development than they projected when they drafted him. But maybe I'm hallucinating. But now I'm seeing a report that Tyler was 2nd on the depth chart at LG because of an ankle injury (this report was dated before the last preseason game over the weekend when Tyler played well).

So here's an article based off of an interview Jones did with Dallas sports talk: https://www.nfl.com/news/jerry-jones-safe-to-say-rookie-tyler-smith-cowboys-starting-left-tackle

On that note, this is why the Cowboys will have enough talent to make the playoffs but never cohesive enough to actually win in the playoffs. As long as Jerry Jones is the owner/GM/dictator for life in Dallas, they're going to struggle to really make any noise in the playoffs. The head coach is always hamstrung by public comments like this. If McCarthy chooses to start and play someone else, now there is a rift in the Dallas organization (at least in the media), and Jones is way too prideful to walk back his comments or allow McCarthy to make actual player personnel decisions. This Dictator for Life mentality Jones has run the Cowboys with since he's owned them has run off 2 great coaches (Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells....I always thought Parcells going to Dallas was odd mostly because Parcells has always wanted/had full control over roster and player personnel decisions).

The Dallas Cowboys aren’t trying to win. They are trying to spend just enough to win just enough to keep making a set amount of money. It isn’t a competition, it’s an exhibition. Jones has essentially admitted this in interviews.

OK, I swear I saw a quote from Jerry Jones saying Tyler would be moving to LT, just a lot sooner in his development than they projected when they drafted him. But maybe I'm hallucinating. But now I'm seeing a report that Tyler was 2nd on the depth chart at LG because of an ankle injury (this report was dated before the last preseason game over the weekend when Tyler played well).

So here's an article based off of an interview Jones did with Dallas sports talk: https://www.nfl.com/news/jerry-jones-safe-to-say-rookie-tyler-smith-cowboys-starting-left-tackle
Until I see it I don’t generally believe a word that jones says. Again what I saw was an unofficial depth chart. I do know from an article that they had been playing other guys like Ball at LT while keeping Tyler at LG. As for Jerry, we’ll when he is talking about glory holes on ESPN, I am not taking what he says about the team to heart

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT