ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa's RPI and NCAA Tourney chances

I think UCONN is the media's darling.... I think the committee wants them in and will do whatever it takes to do so.... so...
in light of that....

I want to see Cincy lose (only helps Tulsa).... and Uconn to knock off Temple and face Tulsa for the Championship.

Of course... if UCONN loses today.... then I think they are indeed OUT.

I think Temple must get to Championship game to be in. IMO. You think by going 14-4 (assuming they beat Tulane) they are in regardless? I don't. Their OOC record and schedule was really really bad.

I think Temple must get to Championship game to be in. IMO. You think by going 14-4 (assuming they beat Tulane) they are in regardless? I don't. Their OOC record and schedule was really really bad.

Actually, their OOC schedule was pretty tough. But they lost every game to good opponents--North Carolina, Butler, Utah, Wisconsin, St Joseph

Temple is probably in...They are the undisputed conference champions. Castiglione was on CBS this morning talking about conference champions...A conference championship in a multi-bid league sends a pretty compelling argument. I'm not sure if a conference champion from a multi-bid league has ever been left out.

Iona just won their 7th straight. Up to 89 in the RPI. They'll play Monmouth for the MAAC championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Eh, I wouldn't be too worried about a Monmouth at-large. They've got 3 losses to teams 200+.

Monmouth is NOT getting an AT LARGE.
Impossible.
***We want Iona to win. What's a head scratcher to me is that Iona goes from 100 to 89 in the RPI and Tulsa drops from 50 to 51. Weird.

Monmouth has a pretty impressive non-conference resume...I'd rather not have another team with a decent resume added to the "at large discussion".

Isn't their RPI higher than ours?

We're tied to the 4th decimal place with 50 UALR.

The distance from 51 Tulsa up to 40 Cincinnati is the same as the distance down to 54 Florida.

We're tied to the 4th decimal place with 50 UALR.

The distance from 51 Tulsa up to 40 Cincinnati is the same as the distance down to 54 Florida.
.... meaning TU could just as easily move up to 40 as they could fall to 54?

TX

Go Gaels (is that still Iona's name?)
Yes it is, but I think Monmouth winning the MAAC tourney is more beneficial to TU's at large chances than the possibility of Monmouth stealing another at large bid.

TX

Monmouth has a pretty impressive non-conference resume...I'd rather not have another team with a decent resume added to the "at large discussion".

Isn't their RPI higher than ours?
Yes they do, Monmouth's rpi is 47, and they have wins over tourney bound teams Notre Dame, USC, plus wins over power conference schools UCLA, Georgetown, and Rutgers. What hurts Monmouth is the MAAC has too many 200+ rpi teams, but what they accomplished as a whole is likely enough to earn an at large.

TX

I would think Monmouth losing to Iona, a team Tulsa beat, would leave Monmouth behind Tulsa in any at-large ratings.

I would think Monmouth losing to Iona, a team Tulsa beat, would leave Monmouth behind Tulsa in any at-large ratings.
I'm pretty sure the committee gives more weight to who you beat vs who you lose to. However TU beating WSU, Temple, UConn, SMU, and CIN should trump Monmouth's resume. Either way, the MAAC is a one-bid league.

The real potential problem for TU is Gonzaga, Pitt, Michigan, Florida, and Vandy, Syracuse.

I've heard teams on the wrong side of the bubble heading into conference tourney play need to win their tourney to get in.

TX

Monmouth may very be deserving but they aren't getting an at-large from the committee.

Temple is probably in...They are the undisputed conference champions. Castiglione was on CBS this morning talking about conference champions...A conference championship in a multi-bid league sends a pretty compelling argument. I'm not sure if a conference champion from a multi-bid league has ever been left out.

Washington won the Pac-12 regular season in 2012, but they were left out. Colorado won the auto-bid, and Cal was an at-large.

Tulsa Brave,

Thanks for the data! Makes me feel a little better. I still think it's a rare situation for a conference champ from a multi-bid league to be left out.

Rutgers?!?! Seriously??? That's actually an impediment this year. GT and UCLA are below average. I'll give them the ND and USC wins but their conf hurts them.

Rutgers?!?! Seriously??? That's actually an impediment this year. GT and UCLA are below average. I'll give them the ND and USC wins but their conf hurts them.
LOL, relax, I am just analyzing the process and trying explain why Monmouth is top 50 rpi while the MAAC is pretty bad as a whole. Rutger, UCLA, and GT do suck this year, but they play in the best of conferences, and there is a residual effect, so like it or not those wins means something beyond rpi ( human perception) I don't think Monmouth will be stealing a bid from TU strictly based on resume but the AAC is getting zero respect from bracket heads.

It's starting to seem as though The "first 4 in could be the AAC semifinals.

TX

Last edited:
Cincy vs UCONN might be an elimination game.

Bracket Matrix rates the experts.

Lunardi is #36.

Top two guys from last year have us in.

Most the highest rated bracketologists have us in.

Go TU!!!!

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Life as a bubble team:
We'd be firmly in had we just beat a terrible team at home.
We'd be firmly in had we just held on to a 4 point lead with 30 seconds left at Temple. (and won our conference...)
We'd be firmly in had we not gone scoreless for 7 minutes against UALR.
We'd be firmly out had we not hit a shot 75 feet from the basket.

Bottom line...

None of this matters if we lose to Memphis or Houston.
True dat! IMO Cin is in good shape, if UCONN gets bounced by CIN they could be done.

If TU had swept Temple as they should have, I think their position would be much, much better.

TX

Latest from Lunardi

Joe Lunardi ‏@ESPNLunardi
Two likely "elimination games" already set: ACC (Pitt-Cuse, Wed., 12n) and American (Cincy-UConn, Fri., 2p). http://es.pn/1U5L53L

Love that negative vibe bout anything and everything on his mind. If the so called sports editor were to pay bigzit any attention, I'm thinking bigzit and Peterson would get along like thieves. Could've been the Bromance affair of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT