ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa vs. Memphis ....

The Nation of UCF

I.T.S. Position Coach
Aug 31, 2001
....... the Canes ran Memphis right off the floor last night , where has that team been all season ?? - watched your game after we squeaked by USF - ....

LOL,
Seriously.
Hopefully they can maintain but this team has been as inconsistent as any team I’ve ever watched.

Yep. Every third game we look like that. Then every third game we are mediocre, like the Temple game. And the other third we are awful like Houston game.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Which is why we are so frustrated. Clearly we have the talent to be an upper echelon team, but very often we absolutely stink it up. Have to lay that blame on the coaches.

We have one player out of 9 who is consistent. I think that causes a lot of frustration. You can expect that some from college teams but we seem to be the best at inconsistency.

Yup. And that consistency has to be coaching, right? It just seems like we have whiffed bad in game preparations several games this year — Lamar, Houston, both Illinois State games, the first Memphis game.

Which is why we are so frustrated. Clearly we have the talent to be an upper echelon team, but very often we absolutely stink it up. Have to lay that blame on the coaches.

I think the issue is the coaches but the opposite of what you stated. In Haith's last two jobs, he has taken over a program with a pretty solid group of returning players. In both instances, he has been successful with the players brought in by the prior staff. In my opinion, that shows that he is probably pretty decent with the x's and o's part. The issue has been once he loses the prior staff's players. In my opinion, that indicates he isn't a particularly good recruiter. I do not think the talent level is there. Over the past two years, TU is 4-19 against top 100 kenpom teams. I do not think that poor of a record is possible with fairly comparable talent.

No. There are games you can tell they’re working hard (Temple) and shots just don’t fall or things don’t go right. Things like that happen. Things coaches can control is effort. If a player is not giving the effort you want, sit him.

Heck, Etou and Taplin played like crap last weekend against Memphis. But they kept with it and played some really good D down the stretch.

No. I sure hope we pay our coach over $1 million to control more than effort. The Temple game in particular, it was because we were not in the right defensive scheme most of the second half. Our coaches have been slow in some games to make the correct defensive adjustments. I get it that some nights the shots aren’t falling. But if your defense is working, you don’t see those 14–0 or 16–2 runs made on us that we have seen, even if your shooting is not on.

One difference in consistency is the talent level. UCONN women just proved that talent, even on an off night can beat lesser talent playing over their heads.

We have to play over our heads UCONN- Memphis-Tulane, (or have opponents miss every open shot-Kansas State) to win.

Cincy can win on talent alone. They have played terrible games ( at Temple) and still win.

Can we recruit with Cincy and UConn and Wichita? I don’t see it yet.

Yeah of course UCONN women have talent. But if memory serves, they rarely have recruiting classes ranked in the top 5. The constant there is the best women’s ball coach in the country.

UCONN women were ranked #2, #14, and #3 the past three years. Of course there is no one and done so Geno doesn’t reload each year. Like they used to say about the Tark, “If you have the best players, it makes you look like a much better coach.

One difference in consistency is the talent level. UCONN women just proved that talent, even on
an off night can beat lesser talent playing over their heads.

We have to play over our heads UCONN- Memphis-Tulane, (or have opponents miss every open
shot-Kansas State) to win.

Cincy can win on talent alone. They have played terrible games ( at Temple) and still win.

Can we recruit with Cincy and UConn and Wichita? I don’t see it yet.

All good comments....You have spoken very well about this in the past....It would seem that
at least two things have to happen:

1) As you have mentioned before, we need a break-thru recruit (or two) to set the table to
attract other good recruits;

2) We need a recruiter that has the personality and drive to break the ice with such recruits......
We've came close with English and Schwartz, but as they matured into what we needed, they
were offered big money and were gone....I'm not sure where we are right now in this regard...

You can talk about all of the aspects of coaching you can think of, but until you get the
recruiting aspect in hand, the others don't matter.......You're right....There is enough talent
difference to make the difference.....We have to figure out a way to close that gap......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT