ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Softball

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
Having a 13 y/o playing softball since she was 4 has made me keenly aware of this sport. I am amazed at the speed of the game, and as a coach I'm surprised how much easier the girls are to work with, as well as a little concerned about just how competitive they can be (girls are mean!).

Of course as a Tulsa graduate, my interest in softball has made me keep tabs on the Hurricane team, and if you are unaware the season is starting in Boca Raton, FL at the Florida Atlantic University Kickoff Classic tournament.

Friday games:

8:00am vs. St. Johns

10:00am vs. Ohio State.

Saturday

3:00pm vs. Louisville

7:00pm vs. host Florida Atlantic

Sunday

12:00pm vs. Northern Illinois

I am not aware of any streaming opportunities (Gametracker is available) but will return and post the results when I hear them and get a chance, if some else doesn't' do it first.

Good luck ladies!
This post was edited on 2/7 7:11 AM by Tax Guy

Tulsa 5
St. Johns 1

Tulsa scored 5 runs on 10 hits helped out by 4 St. Johns errors.

St. Johns scored 1 on 4 hits with 1 Tulsa error. The 1 run was a HR in the 3rd

Shelby Blanton went 3 for 4 scoring twice and 1 stolen base

Cierra Hughes went 2 for 3 scored once and 2 RBI

Caitlin Sill pitched 6 innings with 7 Ks and 1 BB

Bailey Erwin pitched the 7th faced 3 = 3Ks
This post was edited on 2/7 10:42 AM by Tax Guy

Ohio State 0
Tulsa 1

It took an extra inning but Tulsa got it done.

Tulsa scored 1 run on 6 hits

Ohio State scored 0 runs on 3 hits

Jill Barrett went 2 for 4 with the walk-off RBI

Aimee Greger pitched the regular 7 innings giving up 2 hits with 6 Ks and 6 BB
Bailey Erwin successfully closed the door in the extra 8th inning with 1 hit and 1 K
This post was edited on 2/7 1:36 PM by Tax Guy

Tax Guy,

TU softball is one of the top 25 teams in the nation and they have some truly outstanding players. Ask OU about how tough it is to play TU...the games are always competitive and hard fought. This team can flat out play the game and they are well schooled in all phases of the game.

Tulsa was not ranked top 25 in the preseaon poll, but was 31. This games vs. number 18 Louisville should help their case.

Tulsa 3
Louisville 0

Tulsa had 7 hits and commited 1 error
Louisvill had 2 hits

Aimee Greger pitched all 7 giving up 5 walks but had 8 Ks including a 3up/3 down/3 K 7th inning.

Erika Sampson went 2 for 3 at the plate with a 3 rbi HR
Jill Barrett went 2 for 2, walked twice, scored a run and stole a base.
This post was edited on 2/8 6:00 PM by Tax Guy

Well they beat Louisville, but had a letdown again FAU. Have to be able to score in 8 innings of play. Pitcher did her job. Just take care of business tomorrow and still walk out with a good weekend. Im just waiting for the day to watch Tulsa in the Womens College World Series. That would be something!

Tulsa 0
FAU 1

Tulsa came out on the short side in extra innings in the 2nd game on Saturday.

Classic pitcher's duel, Caitlin Sill matched the FAU pitcher with a scoreless 7 inning outing with 3 hits per team and no errors.

Both pitchers returned for the extra 8th inning but Tulsa was unable to to get a hit, and FAU got 2 to score the winning run.

This post was edited on 2/9 3:33 PM by Tax Guy

Northern Illinois 1
Tulsa 2

Gametracker stopped working in the middle of the game!

Tulsa scored their 2 runs on 4 hits helped out by 4 Northern Illinois errors
Northern Illinois scored their 1 run on 3 hits with 2 Tulsa errors

Bailey Erwin pitched 7 innings scattering 3 hits with 2 Ks and 0 walks

Aimee Creger went 2 for 3, and scored a run
Erica Sampson went 0 for 2, but got hit by a pitch twice! Once in the first inning and the second time in the bottom of the 7th with the bases loaded to plate the game winning RBI.

This game sounds like it was a little sloppy, but overall impressive weekend for the Hurricane!

Next week's games are in the Aggie Classic at College Station with McNeese State, Oregon State and Texas A&M

I understand TU wasn't a preseason top 25, but that's because pollsters don't give credit to programs like TU until they win some games and show they can play. Heck TU wasn't even picked to win their own conference, but they have the preseason player of the year and pitcher of the year. That tells me C-USA is deep again as they have been for the last 3-4 years.

Here is this weekend's schedule in College Station.

Friday:
10:00am vs. McNeese State
12:15pm vs. Oregon State

Saturday:
10:00am vs. Oregon State
12:15pm vs. McNeese State

Sunday:
12:15pm at Texas A&M

The 1st game Saturday was another extra inning outing.

McNeese State 4
Tulsa 5

Tulsa got the 5 runs on 11 hits and committed 2 errors.
McNeese State scored their 4 runs on 3 hits with 0 errors

Tulsa had a slow start after giving up 2 runs,(1 unearned) in the 1st inning, and another run in the 3rd, and only having 1 hit up to that point.

The bats came alive in the 4th scoring 2 and the tying run in the 6th.

Tulsa scored twice in the extra frame and held McNeese State to 1 to end the game

Bailey Erwind pitched the complete game +1 with 2 earned runs, strking out 4 and walking only 2.

Cierra Hughes went 3 for 4 with 2 runs and 2 RBIs and a stolen base
Jill Barrett went 3 for 5 with an RBI

Texas A&M softball just tweeted that TU beat Oregon St. 9-1 in 6 innings. Way to go TU!

Oregon State 1
Tulsa 9

Tulsa scored teh 9 runs on 11 hits (including 5 doubles and 1 HR)
OSU scored the 1 run on 2 hits
both teams had 1 error each

Jill Barrent went 2 for 4 scoring twice
Shelby Blanton went 2 for 3 scoring twice
Jocelyn Sheffield ph in the bottom of the 6th hitting a 3 run HR forcing the run rule stoppage.

As big as the bats were the story here is:

Aimee Greger pitched all 6 innings giving up the 1 ER on 2 hits with 14 Ks (I went back through the play by play to count and make sure I read that right. Yes it was 14 Ks in 6 innings)

Saturday's Results

Game 1

Tulsa 4
Oregon State 0

Tulsa scored 4 runs on 10 hits
OSU scored 0 runs on 2 hits

Aimee Greger pitched the complete game shutout with 15 Ks, 1 better than the previous outing's outstanding performance

Shelby Blanton, Erica Simpson and Catherine horton each with 2 for 3: Catherine with an HR

Game 2

McNeese State 2
Tulsa 3

Tulsa scored the 3 runs on 6 hits
McNeese State scored the 2 runs on 5 hits
Each team had 1 error

Tulsa got on the pitcher in the first ining scoring 3 runs on hits and drawing 2 walks in 1/3 of an inning.

Cierra Hughes went 2 for 3 with an RBI

Catlin Sill pitched 5 1/3 allwing 1 ER on 5 hits with 3 Ks
Bailey Erwin finished it out with 0 runs/hits and 2 Ks

Sunday

Tulsa 5
Texas A&M 2

Tulsa scored the 5 runs on 11 hits
A&M scored the 2 runs on 4 hits
no errors

Again Tulsa got to the starter early scoring 5 runs on 3 hits (1 HR) with 3 walks forcing a change after only 1-1/3 innings

Erica Sampson went 2 for 4 with the HR, scored 1 run and 3 RBIs
Jill Roye went 2 for 4 with 1 RBI

Aimee Creger pitched 6 innings giving up 2 ER on 4 hits and 4 walks with 11 Ks. Looks like she slipped a little in the 3rd walking in a run.Bailey Erwin closed the door with a 3 up/down final inning

A&M was ranked 8th and 11th in the 2 polls. .
Awesome weekend ladies! Looking forward to the polls this week to see the respect you earned from the voters.
This post was edited on 2/16 5:31 PM by Tax Guy

Heck of a weekend!!!

I love it whenever Tulsa beats a Texas team
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Again, just because some half-witted pay no attention writers or coaches don't vote for you doesn't mean you aren't one of the top teams in the country. Aimee Creger is in beast mode right now. Remember, TU started this well last year and sort of faded down the stretch. This team seems to be deeper than last year, especially at pitcher.

Aimee is just flat out impressive. Im extremely excited to keep up with this team especially when Basketball ends. They will lose some games they shouldn't, just like most teams do, but the potential is outstanding right now. Ready for next weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT