ADVERTISEMENT

Official Rice Prediction Thread

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
After laying an owl egg in Boca Raton, it's time to get back on track. Feels like KW and Spurrier are holding the offense down a little too much...they are playing tight still.

Is this the game that Braxton gets the start?

We can't go 1-2 vs. Owls. Nope. : 31
Rice Fan: 27

Bonus Kendall: We will break the beer tasting world record. 3K hoped for, exact number will be 2,874.

S.E. Hinton .....63
Larry McMurtry..7

I was gonna make Brokeback Mountain jokes about Gus T and Sammy the Owl.. but I thought they would be in poor taste....

So .. Pony Boy is just gonna stay Golden and b!tchslap Newt Call..

S.E. Hinton .....63
Larry McMurtry..7

I was gonna make Brokeback Mountain jokes about Gus T and Sammy the Owl.. but I thought they would be in poor taste....

So .. Pony Boy is just gonna stay Golden and b!tchslap Newt Call..
Old school CUSA days this would be the score, except of course the 1 yr TG was the HC at Rice.

Reactions: TulsaAM
After laying an owl egg in Boca Raton, it's time to get back on track. Feels like KW and Spurrier are holding the offense down a little too much...they are playing tight still.

Is this the game that Braxton gets the start?

We can't go 1-2 vs. Owls. Nope. : 31
Rice Fan: 27

Bonus Kendall: We will break the beer tasting world record. 3K hoped for, exact number will be 2,874.
I think that's because Cardell is so young and has shown a tendency to be very inconsistent, especially on the road. If Braxton starts as I suspect, my guess is the offense will be opened up considerably.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I think that's because Cardell is so young and has shown a tendency to be very inconsistent, especially on the road. If Braxton starts as I suspect, my guess is the offense will be opened up considerably.
I agree with you completely. It has just seemed that Cardell was at his best when he runs around, and looks for receivers that way. He plays better when he plays loose....see the Temple game. When there is a tough defense and he stays in the pocket, his production goes down. I have no idea how good the Rice defense is.

I agree with you completely. It has just seemed that Cardell was at his best when he runs around, and looks for receivers that way. He plays better when he plays loose....see the Temple game. When there is a tough defense and he stays in the pocket, his production goes down. I have no idea how good the Rice defense is.
So I think there are a couple of things that might keep offenses off balance and open up both the passing and running game under Braxton. Braxton tends to keep the ball more on the RPOs, which means the DEs, LBs, and safeties need to hold a second to make sure they know who has the ball. See Braxton's 50 yd run the other day as an example. Cardell was way more selective when he kept the ball and I think it was more sideline directed. That will also open the middle up for runs from Watkins, Ford, Jackson, and Gary. I also think Braxton has a little more arm strength and is a bit more accurate, especially when on the run. I could see TU running more RPO action where Braxton rolls and it looks like a run, getting the safeties to suck up and leaving 1 on 1 coverage down the field. TU just has a chance to be a little more dynamic and multiple with Braxton. Don't get me wrong, Cardell has a bright future as a QB but I think there are things he needs to learn that will make him and the offense more dynamic and less predictable.

And now, back to the predictions -

Tulsa 100

animation fan GIF by weinventyou

Feels like Rice has a better offense than we do and maybe a better defense.
I’ll take the home team in a tight one though.
TU 27
Rice 24

Feels like Rice has a better offense than we do and maybe a better defense.
I’ll take the home team in a tight one though.
TU 27
Rice 24
They do have a good pass offense, which could be trouble for us. But I think we squeak it out.

Until we see a consistent third down passing game, I’m not sure the strength of the other teams defense is relevant when you only consider our remaining beatable opponents.

Until we see a consistent third down passing game, I’m not sure the strength of the other teams defense is relevant when you only consider our remaining beatable opponents.
We haven't seen our preseason starting QB much, so that is yet to be determined.

Reactions: HuffyCane
TU just has a chance to be a little more dynamic and multiple with Braxton. Don't get me wrong,
Cardell has a bright future as a QB but I think there are things he needs to learn that will make
him and the offense more dynamic and less predictable.
One major reason for the "more dynamic and multiple" with Braxton is simply the fact that
Wilson calls the game differently (more open) when Braxton is in the game....The obligatory
run over left tackle with Cardell in the game on first down for almost no gain is known to
every one in the stadium....

Wilson obviously has his reasons for this, but I think he sometimes limits Cardell more than
he protects him....When the yardage to gain on third down is consistently too much for any
thing except a pass, you are definitely making it more difficult on your QB....

Braxton should be the starter this week....He should give a not too athletic rice defense more
than they can handle...We will need to score a lot to win....Our type of defense will turn out
to be something the Rice QB will relish....He is very experienced and is very accurate throwing
to a set of good receivers....I wish we could get more pressure...He is not too much of a run
threat.....

Last edited:
Too lazy to look it up…when was the last time we beat any conference foe by 3TDs? Feels like it has been a minute.

In the words of Al Davis: Just win baby!

Need to expunge the bad taste left over from that FAU fiasco...

Says the fan whose team lost to a 1 -3 team it’s last outing.
Who has now won 2 straight and also beat USF which has looked really good the last couple of times out prior to the game against FAU. And we were closer, playing in a monsoon, on the road and probably should have still won the game. USF was at home, on a dry field and lost by 2 TDs. I think FAU is a little better than their record indicated in the game against us and they're getting better which is what coaches are trying to make sure happens....get better every time out. Hoping we do the same on Thursday and curb stomp Rice enough people will start calling them Cream of Wheat

Who has now won 2 straight and also beat USF which has looked really good the last couple of times out prior to the game against FAU. And we were closer, playing in a monsoon, on the road and probably should have still won the game. USF was at home, on a dry field and lost by 2 TDs. I think FAU is a little better than their record indicated in the game against us and they're getting better which is what coaches are trying to make sure happens....get better every time out. Hoping we do the same on Thursday and curb stomp Rice enough people will start calling them Cream of Wheat
USF lost to FAU 56-14.

USF lost to FAU 56-14.
I must be thinking different game or maybe I saw a score that wasn't final. I'm pretty sure I was thinking a different game b/c I recall seeing a 48-34 score or something stupid like that. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind (my wife would argue this is the real reason).

I must be thinking different game or maybe I saw a score that wasn't final. I'm pretty sure I was thinking a different game b/c I recall seeing a 48-34 score or something stupid like that. Or maybe I'm just losing my mind (my wife would argue this is the real reason).
The longer I'm married the more I realize wives are quick to claim we are losing our mind!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT