ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa 2020 Record Predictions

If it’s a winning season, he’ll get 5 years in extension at a reduced salary if he wants it.

Five wins or less and you would think the new permanent President will find their own guy.

6 wins and it’s coin flip.

That’s my guess.

Even 6-6 would guarantee his job for 2021 (Check back next January: 6+ wins will mean Coach Montgomery will not be fired). I'm guessing 4-8 is the coin flip. I think TU will win somewhere in that 3 to 6 range, but of course will be ecstatic if it's more than 7. TU football fans deserve a good season.

It would have to be pretty abysmal for them to fire him and have to pay that buyout. If TU could afford it, they would've fired Monty after 2018 when there was already tremendous pressure. Him remaining on board in 2020 is proof they just can't buy him out, much less afford another promising HC at the market rate (which would be close to double what Monty makes).

Furthermore, any HC who could legitimately get TU winning will demand resources TU doesn't have or can't afford right now. Without those, TU won't keep up with other AAC schools so might as well keep Monty.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Even 6-6 would guarantee his job for 2021 (Check back next January: 6+ wins will mean Coach Montgomery will not be fired). I'm guessing 4-8 is the coin flip. I think TU will win somewhere in that 3 to 6 range, but of course will be ecstatic if it's more than 7. TU football fans deserve a good season.

It would have to be pretty abysmal for them to fire him and have to pay that buyout. If TU could afford it, they would've fired Monty after 2018 when there was already tremendous pressure. Him remaining on board in 2020 is proof they just can't buy him out, much less afford another promising HC at the market rate (which would be close to double what Monty makes).

Furthermore, any HC who could legitimately get TU winning will demand resources TU doesn't have or can't afford right now. Without those, TU won't keep up with other AAC schools so might as well keep Monty.

This is the most depressing thing I've read in a while...

This is the most depressing thing I've read in a while...

I think it's better to have low expectations considering the disastrous financial state. Until that $7 million TV money comes in, and even for a bit after, it will be rough for TU to keep athletics going as it had been for a while. If Monty can get it done, it's certainly time and I hope he does. For young recruits, check out that flashy UNT practice facility that looks so good it looks like a rendering. UNT would be a punching bag in the AAC and yet they now have more recruiting advantages than TU (big exception is a vastly inferior conference).

It's sad the city/state in general have about given up on TU football and casual fans jumped on OSU/OU. It's great most TU games are on TV, but that exacerbates the revenue issues as casual TU fans just watch the games on TV. People will spend all day to go see a "big time" OU/OSU game across the state but won't spend the few hours to see TU, right in their back yard, even when TU is really good. So the football investments haven't paid off.

Time to be a basketball school! That should be well within TU's grasp.

I think it's better to have low expectations considering the disastrous financial state. Until that $7 million TV money comes in, and even for a bit after, it will be rough for TU to keep athletics going as it had been for a while. If Monty can get it done, it's certainly time and I hope he does. For young recruits, check out that flashy UNT practice facility that looks so good it looks like a rendering. UNT would be a punching bag in the AAC and yet they now have more recruiting advantages than TU (big exception is a vastly inferior conference).

It's sad the city/state in general have about given up on TU football and casual fans jumped on OSU/OU. It's great most TU games are on TV, but that exacerbates the revenue issues as casual TU fans just watch the games on TV. People will spend all day to go see a "big time" OU/OSU game across the state but won't spend the few hours to see TU, right in their back yard, even when TU is really good. So the football investments haven't paid off.

Other than your suggestion that we undo more than a century of history and one of the core pillars of the University, you are exactly right.

We weren’t invited to the American based on our basketball accomplishments. Deemphasize football and those basketball teams will be playing conference games against ORU.

Is that what you really want?

We weren’t invited to the American based on our basketball accomplishments. Deemphasize football and those basketball teams will be playing conference games against ORU.

Is that what you really want?

I never said that or said that's what I want. That seems to be the reality we're faced with though.

Does anyone have about $3-$4 million to pitch in hiring a new HC and staff? Anyone have about $10+ million for IPF?

Other than your suggestion that we undo more than a century of history and one of the core pillars of the University, you are exactly right.

I wasn't suggesting ending football and plenty of posters have said that would end TU's membership in the AAC so for sure would be self-defeating to lose the revenue that would save the other sports.

Just saying resources should be more focused on making basketball a great experience and building that into a brand. OU/OSU have had quite a few mediocre basketball years. It's a lot tougher to drive to those places to watch a short game anyways. Many universities thrive on being the "city's team". TU needs to start out stronger though. TU's been so close to great some years under Haith and even coaches before. Surely TU can get that sport going at least (and it already is in pretty good shape). You need around 5 capable guys to believe and transform any team. Unlike football where you need 20+.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT