Win Houston 47 - 37
Loss Navy 34 - 20
Loss Central Florida 38 - 31
Win South Florida 41 - 10

Best Case 10 - 2

Worst Case 6 - 6

My Record Prediction

9 - 3

7-6. Lose badly in the bowl. That’s what I see right now, best case scenario.

As much as it pains me to admit it, 9-3 is way too much of an ambitious goal. With Montgomery calling the plays and with the amount of guys we’ve lost on defense. I can’t see us being better than 7-6. I think the offense will take a step forward but our defense will take a step back and I know that Montgomery will find ways to blow close games.

As much as it pains me to admit it, 9-3 is way too much of an ambitious goal. With Montgomery calling the plays and with the amount of guys we’ve lost on defense. I can’t see us being better than 7-6. I think the offense will take a step forward but our defense will take a step back and I know that Montgomery will find ways to blow close games.
First, I’ve said this many times, our defense will not experience a huge drop off in effectiveness. There’s some quality depth that was built up. We’ve added a few guys who will contribute immediately. My biggest concern is MLB and somebody able to step into that role.

Our offense should be better and a new OL coach may be able to even make it that much better.

Last...it’s way too early to talk about this...especially when our sights should be set on basketball right now.

We will win at least 7 and extend Monty for another 5. We are due for a decent year and QB play is the biggest factor. Should be solid

Reactions: TU_BLA
We’re more likely to lose to Ark State than UCF. We’ve never won in Jonesboro but seem to have UCF’s number.

Last time we lost to them in Jonesboro was the last year of the Burns error. At least we are headed
At least we wouldn't be getting worse. My biggest fear is that we go 7-5 and Levitt and Gragg decide he needs an extension.

If we get to a bowl game this year and other schools get interested in Phil, he will jump ship

If it’s a winning season, he’ll get 5 years in extension at a reduced salary if he wants it.

Five wins or less and you would think the new permanent President will find their own guy.

6 wins and it’s coin flip.

That’s my guess.

If we go 12-0, the NCAA will break out its institutional proctoscope...
Thing is, there are no games on the schedule that we CANT win, not that we should win all if them, but we have a chance to win in each game we play, however with our play calling, we have a chance to lose every game too

If it’s a winning season, he’ll get 5 years in extension at a reduced salary if he wants it.

Five wins or less and you would think the new permanent President will find their own guy.

6 wins and it’s coin flip.

That’s my guess.
If we have a new president by then. Seems like they took a long time searching for one the last time.

can't imagine why 6 wins would be a coin flip but 7 wins would get you a 5 year deal

no way even with 7 wins we need to give this guy more than another year or two to see what happens

7-5 thanks to a very experienced QB and then unfortunately we drop back to 3-9 ish in 2021. Which is the level of coach I believe we have.

This season comes down to one thing, just like every other, O-Line play. If we get it, we score, if we don't we lose. Lots of underclassmen last year, so it all depends on their development over the Spring and Summer.

3 - 9 again with hopes for 6 D-1 wins

Reactions: HuffyCane
While we should be 7-5 at a minimum next year with the amount of talent we have returning, Monty could very well coach his way to a 4-8 season pretty easily.
That's year over year improvement! We will be 12-0 in 2028 or so. National Championship here we come!

What are the odds of that? I'll say 60/40 that they make it
I think (and hope) it's a lot higher than that but the dire report and action plan they put out when Clancy resigned (forced out?) did not make me hopeful mostly because there are so many outside factors that must occur for the university to be successful, including getting more students who can actually afford to attend the university to actually come to the university.

I think (and hope) it's a lot higher than that but the dire report and action plan they put out when Clancy resigned (forced out?) did not make me hopeful mostly because there are so many outside factors that must occur for the university to be successful, including getting more students who can actually afford to attend the university to actually come to the university.
Hacking off the owner of the purse strings by renaming the Law School didn't help. Won the battle and lost the war maybe...

We have $50 mill a year coming in from an endowment and $7 million + from a tv deal. There is a big difference between struggling and not being open.

We have $50 mill a year coming in from an endowment and $7 million + from a tv deal. There is a big difference between struggling and not being open.
I agree...I'm just going based off of the plan put out by the BoT. They paint a much different public picture.

ADD: Right now, I think a lot of that $50M may be going to pay down some of the debt service on all of the new building. ORU may not do a lot of things right, but subscribing to the Dave Ramsey "no debt" philosophy has helped them build a few new buildings on campus. It takes longer because they won't start until they have $ in the bank (they don't even just use the 100% pledged...at least Rutland and Wilson didn't/haven't done it that way).

A lot of schools use the 100% pledged goal before they start a project. Some go with 75% pledged and hope the excitement of seeing a new bldg going up provides the impetus to get other donors to step up.

ORU is building because they have a single donor that has kicked in $100 mill or more, and TU, despite the top three folks in our hierarchy tightly linked to one person, does not have that. It is easier to have a "no debt" philosophy when one family kicks in nearly all the cash.

That said, I think ORU has done a very good job since their blow up, because their folks believe in their cause. We need TU to a place where our folks believe in our cause too, and we haven't done a good job of that. Time to turn this train around and get our folks onboard.

ORU is building because they have a single donor that has kicked in $100 mill or more, and TU, despite the top three folks in our hierarchy tightly linked to one person, does not have that. It is easier to have a "no debt" philosophy when one family kicks in nearly all the cash.

That said, I think ORU has done a very good job since their blow up, because their folks believe in their cause. We need TU to a place where our folks believe in our cause too, and we haven't done a good job of that. Time to turn this train around and get our folks onboard.
The Green's kicked in a ton of money right around 2007 and followed with additional money through about 2013. They are not kicking in any more currently, at least not in the amounts they initially kicked in. There was an immediate $50M gift to pay off accumulated debt. That followed with subsequent gifts of $10M per year for about 4-5 years that went largely to deferred maintenance projects on campus...a good portion of that money was wasted on frivolity (trust me, I led areas that really needed things like ADA upgrades and compliance renovations that got pushed aside so the President's office and suite could be serviced by 2 separate elevators, 1 private, 1 public). The newer projects- The Hammer Alumni/Student Union bldg, the Global Education bldg (formerly called Baby Mabee), and the new residence hall were built largely free of Hobby Lobby money. There may be some but not in the amounts needed to make the building happen. ORU is also unique in that a large number of their alum don't make the type of money needed to build projects like that.. Missionaries just don't make that type of income. BUT, they are able to call on churches and pastors, many of whom will give and take collections to give to projects.

TU needs to find and attract new donors. They can't always keep asking the Chapman Trust, Mabee's, and Hardesty's to fund everything. Case was a new one that was reliable for a few years but that seems to have been allowed to drift.

Reactions: TU Man
Mr. Case continues to make generous donations. Most recently to the academics side, rather than athletics, at TU’s request.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT