ADVERTISEMENT

TU is in

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
Vs Mich in Dayton on Wed. Win and we play Notre Dame on Fri in Brooklyn.

Last edited:
I am stunned we are in. Amazing. Now we have to regain whatever we had on that 14 game streak through Jan/Feb where we went 11-3 and won 3 Top50 games. Our offense was almost clicking then.

Throw away the tape of the last 3 games.

I'm on a plane back from Chicago Wed night. Hopefully I can avoid the score and watch when I get back at 10.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
15ZigG0.gif

I doubt we had any watch party unless it was in someone's dorm room.

Dang. I guess even our team thought there was no chance.haha. I didn't even bother watching it until someone told me to start watching. Time to start preparing. Don't have a lot of time!

Now stated we were LAST team in. Four top 50 wins were the key with good SOS. Wichita State, UCONN, Cincy, @SMU........ Those four wins got us in. SMU did not lose another home game this year.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Ironically, I was rooting for Memphis to beat UCONN, to justify our horrible game on Friday night. If Memphis would've beat UCONN, we would've been left out !

This really does make up for any & all past injustices against Tulsa by the committee !

They always have the first four at a separate site and it is usually in the upper Midwest.
Actually, since they started the play-in games, they have always been played in Dayton.

No watch party. Haith found out from a text in his way to campus. They show a video of players watching the selection in the new locker room, all with cameras ready as I think a lot of them found out via the "leaked" bracket.

Dayton is going to be pro-Michigan on Wednesday. Time to make sure their band doesn't play Hail to the Victors too many times (btw, it's a freaking cool fight song. Heard it about 100 times in the game the Fab 5 (- Webber) played against Arkansas in 1994 in Dalllas

Reactions: loca2874
Not trying to be critical here but the ONLY reason we made it into the field of 68 is because of JOE C! I realize we had 4 top 50 wins but the reality of it is especially after the way we played against MEMPHIS we did not deserve to be in this tournament. This team absolutely quit! Don't get me wrong I am happy we are in and I hope these guys can make some noise... I Just hope the play with some serious passion and grit Wednesday night!!

Reactions: scotty0912
Have you read any commentary? The committee also downplayed conference tournament performance in multiple instances. As they should in favor of considering an entire body of work.

And thinking one individual could strong arm the entire committee even if he wanted to is absurd.

So you are telling me that JOE C had nothing to do with us getting in? WOW! He is the chairman of the committee junkie please take your blue and gold color glasses off and see the light. Like I said before I am very happy that we are in but if you think that he did not have a major influence in us getting in the you are extremely delusional.

I just want to give ORU a great big bear hug for not keeping us out of the NCAA tourney!

Reactions: Gold*
So you are telling me that JOE C had nothing to do with us getting in? WOW! He is the chairman of the committee junkie please take your blue and gold color glasses off and see the light. Like I said before I am very happy that we are in but if you think that he did not have a major influence in us getting in the you are extremely delusional.

I wouldn't have been upset if TU didn't get in but I think it's entirely defensible. Six wins over Tournament teams (counting SMU) is more than just about everyone we were competing with. The only reason I think that we're all shocked is that the conventional wisdom from ESPN et al was saying that we had no chance (on a side note, did anyone see the AAC Champ game Commissioner interview where he didn't mention TU once in a 3-4 minute interview?). I'm impressed that the Committee was able to block out the groupthink and evaluate things independently.

This Castiglione corruption angle is ridiculous and seemingly the refuge of sour grapes today on the Internet (funny to hear such a passionate argument for it from a diehard TU "fan" such as yourself). The committee is ten independent people voting; even if Joe C. wanted to put us in he's not a dictator.

I wouldn't have been upset if TU didn't get in but I think it's entirely defensible. Six wins over Tournament teams (counting SMU) is more than just about everyone we were competing with. The only reason I think that we're all shocked is that the conventional wisdom from ESPN et al was saying that we had no chance (on a side note, did anyone see the AAC Champ game Commissioner interview where he didn't mention TU once in a 3-4 minute interview?). I'm impressed that the Committee was able to block out the groupthink and evaluate things independently.

This Castiglione corruption angle is ridiculous and seemingly the refuge of sour grapes today on the Internet (funny to hear such a passionate argument for it from a diehard TU "fan" such as yourself). The committee is ten independent people voting; even if Joe C. wanted to put us in he's not a dictator.

Castiglione also said it was done by hundreds for votes in the last week so if he was selling, the committee was buying.

I'm sure he advocated for us but our resume was good enough to back his arguments.

Reactions: GOB10 and Gmoney4WW
Castiglione also said it was done by hundreds for votes in the last week so if he was selling, the committee was buying.

I'm sure he advocated for us but our resume was good enough to back his arguments.
My thought was immediately, "What's in it for OU?" The only things I could think of, is that we would give them a decent in-state game now that OSU is on the rebuild. I also thought about making UC or UConn look good if the Big 12 is trying to poach... I'm not sure I could really see the logic in either scenario though.

Reactions: WATU2
Not delusional at all. On the contrary, that's what the conspiracy theory is.

If anything, I'm irritated at myself for not being more objective several days ago when I'd written my team off entirely.
Junkie, i think most here can relate to that! I think i was going off of the whole, what have you done for me lately, and our past 2 games, we struggled against USF and got embarrassed against Memphis. So i had the NIT show recording to see who and when we would be playing all set to attend the home game! You are definitely not alone!

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Yep, having a big ol pity party like the Memphis letdowns were a personal affront!

When you have such intense expectations that don't go your way for your team, I suppose it's disproportionately magnified.

They always have the first four at a separate site and it is usually in the upper Midwest.

Yes, I am well aware of that, My answer was in response to another poster asking why. It's always Dayton.

I felt like TU's numbers looked good enough compared to other bubble teams, I just didn't think it mattered. I didn't think Temple had a chance either because of their slow start and losses to weaker AAC teams. Apparently the committee has more respect for the AAC than I thought.

I never thought I would see the day when the committee's tendency to favor also-rans from the top conferences would work in TU's favor, but that's what it looks like. Most of us thought a loss in the AAC finals would get us in. When in the past did we ever think an 11 loss TU team had a chance at an at-large bid? I hope we can keep this league together for a while.

I felt like TU's numbers looked good enough compared to other bubble teams, I just didn't think it mattered. I didn't think Temple had a chance either because of their slow start and losses to weaker AAC teams. Apparently the committee has more respect for the AAC than I thought.

I never thought I would see the day when the committee's tendency to favor also-rans from the top conferences would work in TU's favor, but that's what it looks like. Most of us thought a loss in the AAC finals would get us in. When in the past did we ever think an 11 loss TU team had a chance at an at-large bid? I hope we can keep this league together for a while.

Yeah and the moving target complaints about having a good schedule DNA to us. Our decent schedule worked in our favor, unlike any time in TU history. On the flip side you can ask when have we ever gotten an at large bid with just 20 wins.

After Friday's debacle we had all pretty much relegated the team to the NIT. Hell, even the players relegated themselves to the NIT (did anyone see Shaq's tweets). Everyone listened to the same Lunardi poison/Kool-Aid the last month.

To me, the most telling interview yesterday was John Calipari. He basically blasted the committee and its criteria for being moving targets from year to year. It is never the same set of criteria given the same importance year to year. His interview was great.

Finally...this is yet another step closer for the AAC to becoming a P6 conference. High profile win in a NY6 bowl, 4 teams in NCAA. Lower tier conference teams need to pick up some more on the basketball front and pick up some high profile non-come wins. As much as many would disagree...our seeding means we only put ourselves in the bubble with the blowout loss. We win and we switch places with Syracuse. We play vs UCONN in the finals and we may get a 9 seed. I think our guys came out tight thinking there was no margin of error. They need to play free and loose...

BTW...Cincinnati and St. Joe's is going to be a barroom brawl. St. Joe's had a player ejected from the A-10 final for goofing it up

Of course it's moving targets. So is the football playoff. It's humans and subjective consideration of both numbers and completely immeasurable things like "eye test". That's as good as it gets the way that collegiate conferences and games are set up compared to pros and division champs.

Coach Cal needs to knock off the whining and just go win. That's how you prove the committee wrong.

And Lunardi and ESPN of all people are the ones trying to introduce NEW MOVING TARGETS to this equation.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Hoover interviewed a KTUL guy that sat in one some mock selection committees and said people kept bringing up Temple as in. Him and another argued that is Temple was in, Tulsa should be in based on resumes.
The committee would say, well Temple beat Tulsa and team x, y, and z. They would response with, Tulsa did too as well as Wichita St and SMU at home. He guesses that same debate with the real committee is what got us in as we had fewer and not as 'bad' bad losses and more good wins than the teams we were being compared too.

Is was an interesting interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT