ADVERTISEMENT

TU Athletic Facilities -- Say what you want about Haisten...

"If the Broken Arrow and Owasso high school programs can have indoor facilities, then it’s time for TU to move on this."

Reactions: bigstar18
Agree with all but the statement that it would be an advantage for recruiting. We are currently in a self imposed disadvantage. Building it would bring us even. There’s no way they are going to spend $25 million on such a facility even if a single donor gave the full amount in a single payment tomorrow. And maybe even not if the same person gave $5 million at the same time to bandage up some of the loser parts of the academic side of the house. But they might stop and think about it under those circumstances.

The facility is needed, along with better offices.

The quote “For the cost of a few poles and a few sheets of fiberglass, TU could create a modest structure that would give Montgomery’s players a place to escape from the punishing heat.” is ludicrous.

I heard the guys who build new roads want a moving building they can roll over them as they move forward so they have shade and a\c at all times when they’re laying asphalt.

Bunch of whiners.

I've never understood why they can't take out the hardwoods in the north Mabee Gym and put down field turf. Problem solved!

Reactions: shon46
Agree with all but the statement that it would be an advantage for recruiting. We are currently in a self imposed disadvantage. Building it would bring us even. There’s no way they are going to spend $25 million on such a facility even if a single donor gave the full amount in a single payment tomorrow. And maybe even not if the same person gave $5 million at the same time to bandage up some of the loser parts of the academic side of the house. But they might stop and think about it under those circumstances.

So... if someone gave them $25mm earmarked for an indoor facilty, they would refuse it?... they didnt turn down the money for the tennis facility, the soccer facility, the softball facility.. they didnt redirect that money ro a crumbling skelly stadium to help with revenue.. instead they left it with sports that will never provide any revenue, let alone pay their bills...

I want to.win the lottery just so i can watch them turn down money..

I've never understood why they can't take out the hardwoods in the north Mabee Gym and put down field turf. Problem solved!
Actually, this has been done. The old gyms have had turf laid down over them. I know the soccer teams do some practices in there and I believe football can do some stuff, but it is not big enough to conduct full practices.

The other issue with Mabee is that it now houses Security. And it still has the rowing tank. They may be able to keep the tank and reconfigure the rest and add to it by removing the parking lot to the east of the building. And in all seriousness, raze Mabee and build from scratch. New offices for the sports that need it (believe soccer, golf rowing). Build a walk way over 8th St to Case. IPF including an indoor track and capabilities of hosting indoor meets. Build new security offices and facility either west of campus in Kendall Whittier neighborhood or build in the green space buffer on the east side of Harvard.

I think Clancy can be convinced to get it done, but we need an AD that is not a wet noodle. Let's bring Ross back. He's learned his lesson.

Worst decision the University has made in a while was removing Ross. With what this AD has done to people and the programs, Ross is a saint.

Worst decision the University has made in a while was removing Ross. With what this AD has done to people and the programs, Ross is a saint.
We all know you predilection for ignoring criminal records and rape convictions. So having a small gambling problem, in order to meet your qualifications for sainthood is not unexpected. I bet you loved Barry Switzer.

Actually, this has been done. The old gyms have had turf laid down over them. I know the soccer teams do some practices in there and I believe football can do some stuff, but it is not big enough to conduct full practices.

The other issue with Mabee is that it now houses Security. And it still has the rowing tank. They may be able to keep the tank and reconfigure the rest and add to it by removing the parking lot to the east of the building. And in all seriousness, raze Mabee and build from scratch. New offices for the sports that need it (believe soccer, golf rowing). Build a walk way over 8th St to Case. IPF including an indoor track and capabilities of hosting indoor meets. Build new security offices and facility either west of campus in Kendall Whittier neighborhood or build in the green space buffer on the east side of Harvard.

I think Clancy can be convinced to get it done, but we need an AD that is not a wet noodle. Let's bring Ross back. He's learned his lesson.

There’s that big open field between sorority row and frat row... it would be a great place for either an IPF or a baseball field... just sayin’

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We all know you predilection for ignoring criminal records and rape convictions. So having a small gambling problem, in order to meet your qualifications for sainthood is not unexpected. I bet you loved Barry Switzer.
If I'm wrong on this someone please correct me...Ross wasn't the one being investigated or being accused of committing a crime. He was a witness because he appeared in a bookie's log for placing bets with him. The bookie was being charged in a Federal investigation on racketeering, right? Ross' did commit a violation of NCAA rules because he had placed a bet on a collegiate athletic contest while in an administrative role in the TU athletic dept (and even prior to that when he was athletic director for Norman Public Schools).

There are a lot of people in coaching and high level athletic jobs who have done FAR FAR worse things and are still coaching or athletic directors.

Actually there is something to be said for maintaining Harwell field as just an open field.

Ok... then there’s that big field in front of the Library... or Just to the west of Skelly... or across Delaware by the tennis facility... lots of open space...

Otherwise that’s just a wasted field.. that needs to be repurposed...

Ok... then there’s that big field in front of the Library... or Just to the west of Skelly... or across Delaware by the tennis facility... lots of open space...

Otherwise that’s just a wasted field.. that needs to be repurposed...
Aesthetically, a break is needed in that area. Filling every last inch of space is the problem with developers everywhere.

Aesthetically, a break is needed in that area. Filling every last inch of space is the problem with developers everywhere.

When you don’t have unlimited space then, you have to make use of what you have.. but fine... tear down frat row... it’s just a legacy of rich white supremacy anyway...

TU_BLA, you are right. By the way, there is always some sort of better than thou with some on this board. Would we not take Kelvin Sampson? The answer is yes but he broke so many rules that he was not allowed to coach for a few years. Why do we need to think we are so high academically when we are not? Also, Barry Switzer did break a few rules but he is revered as a winner and that is what really matters. I would rather win and have a few issues than being in the state we are currently.

When you don’t have unlimited space then, you have to make use of what you have.. but fine... tear down frat row... it’s just a legacy of rich white supremacy anyway...
Tear down frat row....I think I made that suggestion once. It didn't go over well.

Regrettably Ross was revealed to have participated in gambling on college sports. I say regrettably, because for appearances sake we had to let him go. What he did was likely not that bad, but it just didn't look right to have him as our athletic director. He would have never had a problem performing as our AD if that had not come out, but it did. The appearance of impropriety in gambling is not what one wants to have as an AD. Gambling is bad news for anyone tied in as a high level employee or administrator for any sports organization, be it college or pro.. It feels silly even having to say this. It seems so obvious, but Red dirt made the argument. I have the feeling that though he was disappointed, Ross understood that it had to be done.

Last edited:
HTB10w1bngKTBuNkSne1q6yJoXXa6.jpg_640x640xz.jpg

Tear down frat row....I think I made that suggestion once. It didn't go over well.

Yeah that’ll show’em... kick out the some of only groups of students that routinely support athletic teams (attendance). Because, reasons.

What a completely ignorant post. I don’t even know where to start. Did some Greeks give you a swirly back in the day?

Reactions: cmullinsTU
The last area that was actually considered was over near the tennis center (directly north of the tennis center and south of Bama).

What a completely ignorant post. I don’t even know where to start. Did some Greeks give you a swirly back in the day?

Methinks you missed the flippancy of my point....

I was pandering to the liberal masses that would rather preserve a patch of scraggely bermuda grass than use the most logical location. I figured that invoking white privilege would give me woke cred.

Methinks you missed the flippancy of my point....

I was pandering to the liberal masses that would rather preserve a patch of scraggely bermuda grass than use the most logical location. I figured that invoking white privilege would give me woke cred.

My apologies!

Regrettably Ross was revealed to have participated in gambling on college sports. I say regrettably, because for appearances sake we had to let him go. What he did was likely not that bad, but it just didn't look right to have him as our athletic director. He would have never had a problem performing as our AD if that had not come out, but it did. The appearance of impropriety in gambling is not what one wants to have as an AD. Gambling is bad news for anyone tied in as a high level employee or administrator for any sports organization, be it college or pro.. It feels silly even having to say this. It seems so obvious, but Red dirt made the argument. I have the feeling that though he was disappointed, Ross understood that it had to be done.
What’s the one thing you absolutely positively cannot do if you work in athletics? Gamble. If you’re willing to cross that line, what other lines will you cross? There aren’t many left, you’re pretty much willing to do anything. That’s the first really serious concern. You know you have someone who can’t be trusted. And the second is that it gives a lot of bad guys leverage. Since the one thing you absolutely positively cannot do is gamble, the guys who know you’re gambling have a lot of control. Making him a great tool to use in other more serious illegal activities. It’s a powder keg.

Red Dirt would hire Sadam Hussein as our coach and Aaron Hernandez as our tight end. If, you know, they were alive. No thanks.

So... if someone gave them $25mm earmarked for an indoor facilty, they would refuse it?... they didnt turn down the money for the tennis facility, the soccer facility, the softball facility.. they didnt redirect that money ro a crumbling skelly stadium to help with revenue.. instead they left it with sports that will never provide any revenue, let alone pay their bills...

I want to.win the lottery just so i can watch them turn down money..
Different President. Different time. Different debt level.

And you don’t read closely. We still haven’t paid off the stadium construction that you think donors paid for a decade ago. Or parts of the Olympic complex. I think the Case Center is finally paid off. I could be wrong. All of the projects were built with partial funding in hopes of attracting other donors and debt and unfavorable rates. Then we borrowed for the apartments. And the Lorton Center. And then re-fi’d some of it at unfavorable rates. This is all in public documents. It’s no secret.

They ain’t building anything. NADA.

So I’m on firm ground when I believe them when they say they aren’t building anything for awhile. That’s why I say they would flat turn down anyone wanting to fund something like the IPF. They might take a full funding proposal on a STEM or med related academic building. It’s hard to justify a revenue neutral expansion of a core academic function. Otherwise you’d get the hard sell on why the money is needed elsewhere.

Different President. Different time. Different debt level.

And you don’t read closely. We still haven’t paid off the stadium construction that you think donors paid for a decade ago. Or parts of the Olympic complex. I think the Case Center is finally paid off. I could be wrong. All of the projects were built with partial funding in hopes of attracting other donors and debt and unfavorable rates. Then we borrowed for the apartments. And the Lorton Center. And then re-fi’d some of it at unfavorable rates. This is all in public documents. It’s no secret.

They ain’t building anything. NADA.

So I’m on firm ground when I believe them when they say they aren’t building anything for awhile. That’s why I say they would flat turn down anyone wanting to fund something like the IPF. They might take a full funding proposal on a STEM or med related academic building. It’s hard to justify a revenue neutral expansion of a core academic function. Otherwise you’d get the hard sell on why the money is needed elsewhere.

Maybe you are right... but I can guarantee, they would only turn me down once.

What’s the one thing you absolutely positively cannot do if you work in athletics? Gamble. If you’re willing to cross that line, what other lines will you cross? There aren’t many left, you’re pretty much willing to do anything. That’s the first really serious concern. You know you have someone who can’t be trusted. And the second is that it gives a lot of bad guys leverage. Since the one thing you absolutely positively cannot do is gamble, the guys who know you’re gambling have a lot of control. Making him a great tool to use in other more serious illegal activities. It’s a powder keg.

Red Dirt would hire Sadam Hussein as our coach and Aaron Hernandez as our tight end. If, you know, they were alive. No thanks.

Honestly... you never really studied the tapes of Hussein’s game vs Iran... his ground game was ineffective and his aerial attack lacked focus. He did roll over D2 Kuwait... but he was completely ineffective vs a P5 Power...

Obviously not HC material.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT