ADVERTISEMENT

TU Athletic Facilities -- Say what you want about Haisten...

Different President. Different time. Different debt level.

And you don’t read closely. We still haven’t paid off the stadium construction that you think donors paid for a decade ago. Or parts of the Olympic complex. I think the Case Center is finally paid off. I could be wrong. All of the projects were built with partial funding in hopes of attracting other donors and debt and unfavorable rates. Then we borrowed for the apartments. And the Lorton Center. And then re-fi’d some of it at unfavorable rates. This is all in public documents. It’s no secret.

They ain’t building anything. NADA.

So I’m on firm ground when I believe them when they say they aren’t building anything for awhile. That’s why I say they would flat turn down anyone wanting to fund something like the IPF. They might take a full funding proposal on a STEM or med related academic building. It’s hard to justify a revenue neutral expansion of a core academic function. Otherwise you’d get the hard sell on why the money is needed elsewhere.
No one is going to donate to get the university out of debt. The University needs to be careful. OSU and OU were recently reported to be looking at putting public options for undergrad degrees in Tulsa proper. Tulsa has to capture its own academic market soon or they may not have one left to use at all.

Reactions: TUMU and HuffyCane
Maybe you are right... but I can guarantee, they would only turn me down once.
And that’s the ultimate point and dilemma. It’s why only uniquely qualified leaders are successful University President. Between saving the free world and being elected President, Eisenhower is considered to be one of the worst university presidents at a major university — Columbia. It took several decades for the school to undo the damage he did to their faculty retention and endowment hits.

You can’t just do what you want (to a certain extent Stead doing exactly that is what got us into this mess) and you’ve got to balance various competing interests without alienating any of them. Unlike business or government, many of those interests are volunteer or charitable who are vital to TU but have little interest or incentive in redefining their relationship.

So it’s a tough massage and even tougher message to donors. You can’t go to a huge charity and ask to borrow a huge amount of money then turn around and announce somebody gave you $25 million to practice football when football has been practiced just fine for more than 100 years at that location.

So the challenge is telling you in such a way that we appreciate your interest and we want to continue the relationship but we can’t take your money and even though people who have $25 million to give away don’t usually take “no “ very well, as you allude to in your message, the answer is still no and we hope to do business together.

And you’ve got to do that in such a way that you don’t get whacked yourself like when Vito Corleone had to turn down Solozo and Sonny got him killed by giving away that he would have agreed to do business with Solozo.

No one is going to donate to get the university out of debt. The University needs to be careful. OSU and OU were recently reported to be looking at putting public options for undergrad degrees in Tulsa proper. Tulsa has to capture its own academic market soon or they may not have one left to use at all.
Now you are learnin’ boy-o. You’re getting the picture slowly. TU is in debt up to its eye balls, it’s big ticket students can’t come to campus anymore in huge numbers, the donors are in an economic downturn, there are fewer kids going to college and that number is set to plummet in 2026 and lower priced competitors are set to undertake some vulture capitalism.

There is a fundamental realignment of priorities going on at TU. Compared to the global issues being addressed, Athletics is a distant also ran. The importance of an IPF doesn’t even register.

But there’s hope: we can emerge from a lot of that debt just about the time the new media contract kicks in. So while UCF and Memphis and SMU are leveraged to the hilt, we will have money to invest strategically. Memphis wants to borrow $150 million just for athletics. Vinnie the Fence wouldn’t loan UCF $2000 on seven points. The Legislature may close the school because of budgeting games including “loaning” the athletics department $10 million back when they went winless. SMU borrowed so much for athletics and can’t get more that their student activity fee is $2200 and is going up to around $2500 because they built stuff for sports instead of remodeling their ACAC like we did instead of building an IPF. By way of comparison, the student activity fee at TU is $140 and includes free tickets and discounts for guests. Athletics is an amenity at TU. At SMU, it’s a way to disguise tuition increases in the admissions brochure and build in donations now while the donor is still a student.

Last edited:
Regrettably Ross was revealed to have participated in gambling on college sports. I say regrettably, because for appearances sake we had to let him go. What he did was likely not that bad, but it just didn't look right to have him as our athletic director. He would have never had a problem performing as our AD if that had not come out, but it did. The appearance of impropriety in gambling is not what one wants to have as an AD. Gambling is bad news for anyone tied in as a high level employee or administrator for any sports organization, be it college or pro.. It feels silly even having to say this. It seems so obvious, but Red dirt made the argument. I have the feeling that though he was disappointed, Ross understood that it had to be done.
we all knew...we all understood. It's in the past and a mistake one who might get a 2nd chance at a dream job would never make again...unless you're Kelvin Sampson or Bruce Pearl

The last area that was actually considered was over near the tennis center (directly north of the tennis center and south of Bama).
I am not sure TU can build anything with actual walls and a sub-area there. That area was specifically put in because of all the construction TU did along Delaware and is used as a flood retention pond and drainage area to prevent flooding of Delaware Avenue.

One thing the city of Tulsa and the COE in Tulsa know is flood prevention and flood control. It is one of the model plans and approaches for large urban areas with such concerns that is studied nationwide.

we all knew...we all understood. It's in the past and a mistake one who might get a 2nd chance at a dream job would never make again...unless you're Kelvin Sampson or Bruce Pearl
I was speaking to red dirt.

Tulsa needs to get off its ultra academic high horse, tone down its activist tendencies and begin to appeal to the potential rank and file regional customers. You can be a highly regarded university and yet still appeal to your potential base of customers. My FB and twitter feed are filled with TU posts that would turn off your average red state parents with no previous ties to the school. We look stuck up, disconnected and preachy.

Tulsa needs to get off its ultra academic high horse, tone down its activist tendencies and begin to appeal to the potential rank and file regional customers. You can be a highly regarded university and yet still appeal to your potential base of customers. My FB and twitter feed are filled with TU posts that would turn off your average red state parents with no previous ties to the school. We look stuck up, disconnected and preachy.
GM tried that with Cadillac and went bankrupt. Agree on toning down the social justice warrior stuff. Its a mistake to think that type of stuff appeals to all kids, especially those within 400 miles of Tulsa.

We aren’t Peter Luger or even Fleming’s. But we aren’t Golden Corral either. We are Jamil’s. High quality. Local institution. Valued and providing value.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
GM tried that with Cadillac and went bankrupt. Agree on toning down the social justice warrior stuff. Its a mistake to think that type of stuff appeals to all kids, especially those within 400 miles of Tulsa.

We aren’t Peter Luger or even Fleming’s. But we aren’t Golden Corral either. We are Jamil’s. High quality. Local institution. Valued and providing value.
The “we’re like TJC but 4 year and like OU but small” approach seems doomed to fail - those wont meaningfully give anyone a reason to come. The social justice stuff is pretty interesting. Kids are increasingly focused on finding value and meaning in what they do and the institutions they’re part of. It would have to be woven into the overall value proposition somehow but would be an interesting differentiator for a growing market segment, in a geographic region where it stands out. And if done right, it can cut across traditional divisions - Catholics care as much about helping poor people as atheist liberals do. I suspect TU hasn’t put that much thought into it but I wouldn’t disregard it so quickly. In the current environment I’m not sure “above average and otherwise just like everyone else” is going to cut it. Something to be different in a way that matters is probably necessary. Especially since we don’t need 30,000 students every year. A lot of people wouldn’t like it but you can’t please everyone and trying is the sure way to be nothing to anybody.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I think the whole “let’s go back to taking commuter students” discussion died 15 years ago. The school moved on into what it is now, especially beginning with the apartments.

There is a broader discussion about the outrageous cost of private education (and for that matter, all of higher education) to be had at some point, but that’s separate from the question of competing with OU and OSU. We don’t really do that now. Just different schools. There are some kids who may look at certain programs at both places, but we just do things differently for a specific market niche.

I think the biggest thing y’all need is a motivational speaker. Way too much negativity on here lately and a lot of it has nothing to do with the economic feasibility of the university or anything anyone on here actually will do to tangibly change a damn thing. I mean, Zit has complained for 20 years and he doesn’t give $5 to the school. We have experts on here who haven’t been to a game in years.

Things will turn around. They always do for us. If you want to help, the school will always take your money.

Yes, offering a better education counts for some things, but the Tulsa area still accounts for a significant number of kids at TU today. I'm not saying we should go to the level of TJC. I'm saying we should work to make the University more affordable for the kids who are intelligent but end up heading to OU instead. If OU were to open up a campus that actually services undergrad in Tulsa, I think TU might be in quite a bit of trouble. Losing the "closer to home" argument just means one fewer net positive that TU can sell to kids to get them to come.

OU can’t just open up another campus. There are bizarre politics surrounding four year colleges in Tulsa. Every crappy little state school was allowed to open a satellite campus. We have lots of facilities, but very little use in the traditional sense. Community leaders have tried for at least 30 years to get something and it never happens.

You probably aren’t aware of this, but OSU TULSA was called “UCAT” before that and struggled to get anyone. Right now, we could walk in there with a keg and have a huge party in a class room and know would ever know or care. OSU TULSA came along and had some serious push, but 15 years in that seems like a failure. At point they even tried to start a law school.

One big factor is that TCC has way too much influence for what it is and actually accomplishes. They don’t want competition for the first two years of college and they have (quite successfully) undermined most efforts to establish a four year residential campus. Combine that with a state legislature that openly hates all things Tulsa and you get this piecemail system that sucks.

All that said, starting in the late 90’s, TU really changed the mission and focus. The plan was to let OSU Tulsa grow and do something different. TU used to take a lot of TCC students, and while there is a program to get them admitted now, it’s not really something the school should or does focus on. If you’re looking at TCC for two years, you’re probably not cut out for TU.

The school should focus on reducing or capping cost. The problem is peer institutions spent like drunken sailors the last 10 years, as Huffy mentions. They raised tution and we did too. I think the medical program was a good bet. I love Gilcrease and Bob Dylan as much as anyone, but I don’t know why we messed around with that. The city literally foisted Gilcrease on us and we went along, even if it maybe gets us one museum science student a year.

OU can’t just open up another campus. There are bizarre politics surrounding four year colleges in Tulsa. Every crappy little state school was allowed to open a satellite campus. We have lots of facilities, but very little use in the traditional sense. Community leaders have tried for at least 30 years to get something and it never happens.

You probably aren’t aware of this, but OSU TULSA was called “UCAT” before that and struggled to get anyone. Right now, we could walk in there with a keg and have a huge party in a class room and know would ever know or care. OSU TULSA came along and had some serious push, but 15 years in that seems like a failure. At point they even tried to start a law school.

One big factor is that TCC has way too much influence for what it is and actually accomplishes. They don’t want competition for the first two years of college and they have (quite successfully) undermined most efforts to establish a four year residential campus. Combine that with a state legislature that openly hates all things Tulsa and you get this piecemail system that sucks.

All that said, starting in the late 90’s, TU really changed the mission and focus. The plan was to let OSU Tulsa grow and do something different. TU used to take a lot of TCC students, and while there is a program to get them admitted now, it’s not really something the school should or does focus on. If you’re looking at TCC for two years, you’re probably not cut out for TU.

The school should focus on reducing or capping cost. The problem is peer institutions spent like drunken sailors the last 10 years, as Huffy mentions. They raised tution and we did too. I think the medical program was a good bet. I love Gilcrease and Bob Dylan as much as anyone, but I don’t know why we messed around with that. The city literally foisted Gilcrease on us and we went along, even if it maybe gets us one museum science student a year.
I know you know but others on here don’t: we don’t really own Gilcrease. It’s essentially a management affiliation agreement. To a certain extent, Stead was playing University Prez version of the game The Sims, and it was an option he saw missing that other players had, especially OU. So he had to build it that round. On the other hand, the reasons for the deal boiled down to things we won’t talk about here. But it remains the right decision in hindsight, despite how nonsensical it seems then and now. Some deals net gains that aren’t measured in money.

Reactions: rgw1650
Honestly, academically Tulsa is easily the best option in the state. The place where Tulsa struggles is merit-based scholarship. An incredibly smart student from a local high school in Tulsa could either attend an elite university(t20), where they could receive significant financial aid if they need it, or if they want to stay in Oklahoma they’ll take OU’s full ride since that will be cheaper than TU’s presidential scholarship, which is only given to 35 students. We wonder why Tulsa can’t keep the most bright and brilliant students in Tulsa but that’s because they don’t offer enough merit based scholarship to compete with other schools. Tulsa does do a better job of giving smart but not elite students solid partial merit based scholarships which help the university keep their current status and maybe raise it slightly but Tulsa needs to up their full ride scholarships if they want to attract the best students in Tulsa.

Honestly, academically Tulsa is easily the best option in the state. The place where Tulsa struggles is merit-based scholarship. An incredibly smart student from a local high school in Tulsa could either attend an elite university(t20), where they could receive significant financial aid if they need it, or if they want to stay in Oklahoma they’ll take OU’s full ride since that will be cheaper than TU’s presidential scholarship, which is only given to 35 students. We wonder why Tulsa can’t keep the most bright and brilliant students in Tulsa but that’s because they don’t offer enough merit based scholarship to compete with other schools. Tulsa does do a better job of giving smart but not elite students solid partial merit based scholarships which help the university keep their current status and maybe raise it slightly but Tulsa needs to up their full ride scholarships if they want to attract the best students in Tulsa.
Partially true. For reasons I’ve never truly understood, TU is a less expensive option than OU for the last ten percent or so of the students admitted to TU. That’s something that isn’t well publicized for a variety of reasons but it’s been true for several decades. I would guess it is students with high test scores but mid range GPAs who show other signs of academic promise. They get significant financial aid which essentially is a rebate on tuition price that makes the school competitive with any other school in the area.

On the other end, TU does not have the retail carnival barking that OU does for National merit finalists, but if you signal early interest and commit to TU with superior academic credentials by pursuing the early decision process, you’ll get the aid package you are talking about, even if you aren’t a Prez scholar. When you consider the extra class requirement and special event attendance requirements, many Prez Scholars are envious of their friends who get the free ride but without the hassles.

What TU doesn’t really want to spend time and money doing, and I don’t blame them, is chasing the wind for the kids who want to wait to see if they are admitted at comparable schools back East or wait to see if they are admitted to an Ivy when their portfolio doesn’t support that. Or entertain shoppers. TU isn’t the official safety school of Cascia Hall and Union and it shouldn’t be viewed or treated that way. And a lot of the kids you are saying TU should do a better job in retaining fit squarely into that category. It should be, and some might say has a social responsibility to be, the school that the bright kid from Sapulpa who finished number 4 in their class with a 33 ACT goes to but doesn’t have other options because of family pressures or finances. When that kid signals early decision, TU is doing a good job of snapping them up. When the kid whose family have belonged to Southern Hills for several generations has the same credentials and wants to wait and see if they get into Georgetown or Sarah Lawrence before making a decision, TU isn’t waiting at the altar.

I have a close friend who’s daughter is a TU Presidential Scholar who is now a junior. Her father is a Baptist minister. Her mother is an actuary. They live in rural Texas out east of Mount Pleasant. Their daughter was either going to OU or TU. No other school was considered. Like all good risk managers, she worked the numbers and had OU and TU break down their financial aid packages. She knew both schools would be essentially free if her daughter was a National merit finalist. So she had TU and OU give her a quote if her daughter fell short of national merit scholarships and presidential scholarships. TU was a significantly more attractive option to her great surprise. But she qualified for need based financial aid. In the end, it didn’t matter. But at the time, she was an OU alum and thought TU would do little to help. They actually went the extra mile.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and Gold*
Partially true. For reasons I’ve never truly understood, TU is a less expensive option than OU for the last ten percent or so of the students admitted to TU. That’s something that isn’t well publicized for a variety of reasons but it’s been true for several decades. I would guess it is students with high test scores but mid range GPAs who show other signs of academic promise. They get significant financial aid which essentially is a rebate on tuition price that makes the school competitive with any other school in the area.

On the other end, TU does not have the retail carnival barking that OU does for National merit finalists, but if you signal early interest and commit to TU with superior academic credentials by pursuing the early decision process, you’ll get the aid package you are talking about, even if you aren’t a Prez scholar. When you consider the extra class requirement and special event attendance requirements, many Prez Scholars are envious of their friends who get the free ride but without the hassles.

What TU doesn’t really want to spend time and money doing, and I don’t blame them, is chasing the wind for the kids who want to wait to see if they are admitted at comparable schools back East or wait to see if they are admitted to an Ivy when their portfolio doesn’t support that. Or entertain shoppers. TU isn’t the official safety school of Cascia Hall and Union and it shouldn’t be viewed or treated that way. And a lot of the kids you are saying TU should do a better job in retaining fit squarely into that category. It should be, and some might say has a social responsibility to be, the school that the bright kid from Sapulpa who finished number 4 in their class with a 33 ACT goes to but doesn’t have other options because of family pressures or finances. When that kid signals early decision, TU is doing a good job of snapping them up. When the kid whose family have belonged to Southern Hills for several generations has the same credentials and wants to wait and see if they get into Georgetown or Sarah Lawrence before making a decision, TU isn’t waiting at the altar.

I have a close friend who’s daughter is a TU Presidential Scholar who is now a junior. Her father is a Baptist minister. Her mother is an actuary. They live in rural Texas out east of Mount Pleasant. Their daughter was either going to OU or TU. No other school was considered. Like all good risk managers, she worked the numbers and had OU and TU break down their financial aid packages. She knew both schools would be essentially free if her daughter was a National merit finalist. So she had TU and OU give her a quote if her daughter fell short of national merit scholarships and presidential scholarships. TU was a significantly more attractive option to her great surprise. But she qualified for need based financial aid. In the end, it didn’t matter. But at the time, she was an OU alum and thought TU would do little to help. They actually went the extra mile.
The hard thing about financial aid (and admissions) is that it’s used to accomplish several different goals, which often will be contradictory for individual students. The question is how do you weigh and balance those goals for every potential aid grant and in total. It’s really complex and a complicated data problem. There are now companies that make AI tools to help ensure optimal aid allocation to balance the different goals. I judged a startup competition where one was participating and their early results showed revenue gains of 16% for their users, which is huge since its basically all profit. That would be what - $7 or $8 million per year for TU? Forget the new TV contract. TU would be wise to focus a lot of energy on being an early adopter of new technology designed for university operations. There’s a bunch of really cool stuff coming out and its a chance to get a competitive advantage.

Sad thread is sad.

A lot of people don’t know or understand some of the struggles TU faces. Unfortunately, TU will always have to deal with some of these struggles, but what gets me is that TU is, in some cases, its own worst enemy. When so many forces outside campus are against us, it would be nice to have all of campus supporting one another. That’s just not happening (again, for a variety of reasons).

There’s a lot that happens behind closed doors and a few of us here are privy to that type of info... problems that seem simple are, unfortunately, not that simple at this point for TU. As Huffy mentioned, the issues TU faces are not just something someone could come write a check and fix, but rather, a more long term, intentional journey.

I hope a boost in tv revenue helps, I hope that a few other items get shored up, and I really hope Janet Levitt doesn’t ever have any say in anything athletic related.

In the meantime, I’ll continue wearing my blue and gold and support our athletic teams as much as I can, win or lose.

The hard thing about financial aid (and admissions) is that it’s used to accomplish several different goals, which often will be contradictory for individual students. The question is how do you weigh and balance those goals for every potential aid grant and in total. It’s really complex and a complicated data problem. There are now companies that make AI tools to help ensure optimal aid allocation to balance the different goals. I judged a startup competition where one was participating and their early results showed revenue gains of 16% for their users, which is huge since its basically all profit. That would be what - $7 or $8 million per year for TU? Forget the new TV contract. TU would be wise to focus a lot of energy on being an early adopter of new technology designed for university operations. There’s a bunch of really cool stuff coming out and its a chance to get a competitive advantage.
They do and for a few years now. It’s not a competitive advantage because we aren’t competing against that many schools and they all use the same type of tech. It does help save money by avoiding categories of students they shouldn’t be pursuing.

Sad thread is sad.

A lot of people don’t know or understand some of the struggles TU faces. Unfortunately, TU will always have to deal with some of these struggles, but what gets me is that TU is, in some cases, its own worst enemy. When so many forces outside campus are against us, it would be nice to have all of campus supporting one another. That’s just not happening (again, for a variety of reasons).

There’s a lot that happens behind closed doors and a few of us here are privy to that type of info... problems that seem simple are, unfortunately, not that simple at this point for TU. As Huffy mentioned, the issues TU faces are not just something someone could come write a check and fix, but rather, a more long term, intentional journey.

I hope a boost in tv revenue helps, I hope that a few other items get shored up, and I really hope Janet Levitt doesn’t ever have any say in anything athletic related.

In the meantime, I’ll continue wearing my blue and gold and support our athletic teams as much as I can, win or lose.
All of this, but especially the last three paragraphs.

Been to Jamil’s lately? Not a good comp.
Let's us Smoke on Cherry Street then... Not the best prime beef offered by Mahogany, but one helluva good steak and if you want to add a nice cigar you can do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: noble cane
They do and for a few years now. It’s not a competitive advantage because we aren’t competing against that many schools and they all use the same type of tech. It does help save money by avoiding categories of students they shouldn’t be pursuing.
If they’re using tech that’s been out for several years, that’s an issue. New solutions are a lot more effective and “smarter.” That’s like saying they’re competitive with everyone else because their flip phone is a cell just like everyone else. Well maybe not so much but the competitive advantage comes from being an early adopter on more advanced services rather than hanging out in the “what everyone else uses”.

It’s a competitive advantage because it helps you focus on more “profitable” applicants. If you have a margin % of 20% and your competitors are at 12%, you have a lot more flexibility to invest in new services, upgrades or be aggressive for students we really want or need, etc. in our case, having an extra $7m per year might not suck.

N
Yeah. Not a bad comp. But Smoke is impossible to get into for brunch and our games are the opposite of that.
Haven't been to the Owasso location yet, but that may be an option in the future.

If they’re using tech that’s been out for several years, that’s an issue. New solutions are a lot more effective and “smarter.” That’s like saying they’re competitive with everyone else because their flip phone is a cell just like everyone else. Well maybe not so much but the competitive advantage comes from being an early adopter on more advanced services rather than hanging out in the “what everyone else uses”.

It’s a competitive advantage because it helps you focus on more “profitable” applicants. If you have a margin % of 20% and your competitors are at 12%, you have a lot more flexibility to invest in new services, upgrades or be aggressive for students we really want or need, etc. in our case, having an extra $7m per year might not suck.
They’ve used emerging technology from the beginning and they are currently evaluating the latest products. These folks know what they are doing. They are a national university. All of the people who develop these products are knocking on their door. They aren’t missing out. You can trust me on that.

They’ve used emerging technology from the beginning and they are currently evaluating the latest products. These folks know what they are doing. They are a national university. All of the people who develop these products are knocking on their door. They aren’t missing out. You can trust me on that.
The vast majority of national universities are well behind the technology forefront. I’m happy to hear that we’re much more sophisticated and proactive than most other schools....... but technology adoption is like Lake Woebegone - everyone’s well above average, if you don’t believe it just ask them.

I think the whole “let’s go back to taking commuter students” discussion died 15 years ago. The school moved on into what it is now, especially beginning with the apartments.

There is a broader discussion about the outrageous cost of private education (and for that matter, all of higher education) to be had at some point, but that’s separate from the question of competing with OU and OSU. We don’t really do that now. Just different schools. There are some kids who may look at certain programs at both places, but we just do things differently for a specific market niche.

I think the biggest thing y’all need is a motivational speaker. Way too much negativity on here lately and a lot of it has nothing to do with the economic feasibility of the university or anything anyone on here actually will do to tangibly change a damn thing. I mean, Zit has complained for 20 years and he doesn’t give $5 to the school. We have experts on here who haven’t been to a game in years.

Things will turn around. They always do for us. If you want to help, the school will always take your money.

I agree partially on the commuter student issue, but we also need regionally centered students that will become regionally centered alumni. We have recruited so far and wide that the majority of our alumni scatter to the four winds after graduation. Not saying it’s a bad thing, but, it unfortunately leaves us at a disadvantage locally when marketing our athletic programs. We used to be able to count on the majority of our alumni being just a few hours away from campus, now all of the locals are aging out of the market and our attendance reflects that fact.

The state retains TU students at roughly the same rate as OU and OSU. The problem isn’t the schools, it’s the state. Oklahoma just isn’t a desired place to live, especially for young people. Even if you would stay, the business and employment realities prohibit it in many cases. That’s changing - a little.

That said, the fundamental organizing principle, at least for now, of the University is to gather and retain intellectual capital for the benefit of the city and to do so at a level of quality so that faculty and students do not view state education or other private colleges in far flung locations as viable alternatives. Towards that goal, TU is doing an adequate job but could improve.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The state retains TU students at roughly the same rate as OU and OSU. The problem isn’t the schools, it’s the state. Oklahoma just isn’t a desired place to live, especially for young people. Even if you would stay, the business and employment realities prohibit it in many cases. That’s changing - a little.

That said, the fundamental organizing principle, at least for now, of the University is to gather and retain intellectual capital for the benefit of the city and to do so at a level of quality so that faculty and students do not view state education or other private colleges in far flung locations as viable alternatives. Towards that goal, TU is doing an adequate job but could improve.
It kinda feels like we’re trying to be the biggest video rental store chain behind Blockbuster and Hollywood Express.....

Reactions: Henry Kendall

Unless the law was changed in the last 20 years a state school cannot be located in Tulsa or Oklahoma City. This was set up early in state history. It always seemed strange to me as most states have major universities in state capitals and major cities. When I was looking for an affordable education I had to end up in places like Tahlequah, Ada, Alva, Weatherford, etc. (I had no interest in the huge classes I Stillwater and Norman).

Unless the law was changed in the last 20 years a state school cannot be located in Tulsa or Oklahoma City. This was set up early in state history. It always seemed strange to me as most states have major universities in state capitals and major cities. When I was looking for an affordable education I had to end up in places like Tahlequah, Ada, Alva, Weatherford, etc. (I had no interest in the huge classes I Stillwater and Norman).
Former Oklahoma history teacher and soccer coach here (and editor of the the textbook used in OK schools in the 90s.) OU and OSU, like TU, pre-date statehood. The territorial legislature selected Norman and Stillwater because the citizens of those counties donated the land located near railroad depots for that purpose. UCO was founded at the same time under the same theory. There is no legal obstacle to the legislature creating a 4 year school in Tulsa. The complications are merely political and logistical. In about 5 years, demographics will also be a problem unless the school is small and marketed towards the children of immigrants who are first in family to attend college, which would be a good idea.

Last edited:
I’m surprised no one mentioned this article regarding the Mabee Gym. It just emphasizes another of the problems with the facility.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_cc12c350-32b5-5c0a-ac08-d5c6d4428639.html
Yeah, it’s starting to look more and more like the disgruntled donor class is feeding these stories and because it’s slow in March, the World is willing to play along. You could change the date on that article to 1985 and nobody could tell the difference. They’ve viewed that building as outdated and needing asbestos remediation and have been trying to tear it down at least since the school used the same excuse to level Westby into a parking lot for some lazy and loud faculty and built ACAC with that little used palace of a faculty lounge. No one doubts the reality that the building needs to be leveled. But the University has more compelling realities right now and lacks the will to deal with the logistical problems that would result from 18 to 24 months of disruption that would come with not having adequate facilities for the users of the building — something a beat writer should have considered and forced TU to address publicly.

That’s what these are for. Move offices temporarily into these until the facility is replaced.
images.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT