ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Hunter/Deion Sanders Texts

Bill Lowery

ITS Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Sep 29, 2001
Say what you want about Prime Time time but his conversation with the injured Hunter indicates he cares more about his players than his record.

———————-

Travis Hunter tells Deion Sanders 'I need to play' vs. USC; Sanders shares incredible response​

Derek Peterson | 19 hours ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ay-vs-usc-sanders-shares-incredible-response/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...'+vs.+USC;+Sanders+shares+incredible+response
Travis Hunter texted Colorado head coach Deion Sanders after the Buffs’ loss to Oregon over the weekend.
“I need to play this week,” he said. “We need to get everything we can so I can get back on the field. I’m not taking no for an answer.”
Sanders shared that message with the rest of the Colorado team during a meeting after they got back to Boulder. Hunter missed his first game of the season after he was sent to the hospital with a lacerated liver by a hit in the Colorado State game. The initial timeline was expected to keep Hunter out two weeks at a minimum.
But Hunter watched the Buffs lose to Oregon 42-6 on the road this past Saturday. The loss dropped CU out of the Top 25. And this weekend they’ll welcome No. 8 USC to Folsom Field.
It’s hard to undervalue how much CU could use Hunter’s ability as a lockdown corner against the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Caleb Williams.
“No, you ain’t ready and I care about you more than I care about this game,” Sanders responded to Hunter. “You’re gonna change the game of football one day when you’re healthy and ready. Your future is brighter than mine ever will be or ever was. Relax and get healthy. I love you son.
“That was the conversation. I care about y’all more than I care about this game. But I want you to learn throughout this game and through our trials and tribulations who you are.”

Say what you want about Prime Time time but his conversation with the injured Hunter indicates he cares more about his players than his record.

———————-

Travis Hunter tells Deion Sanders 'I need to play' vs. USC; Sanders shares incredible response​

Derek Peterson | 19 hours ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...ay-vs-usc-sanders-shares-incredible-response/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sports/travis-hunter-tells-deion-sanders-i-need-to-play-vs-usc-sanders-shares-incredible-response/&text=Travis+Hunter+tells+Deion+Sanders+'I+need+to+play'+vs.+USC;+Sanders+shares+incredible+response
Travis Hunter texted Colorado head coach Deion Sanders after the Buffs’ loss to Oregon over the weekend.
“I need to play this week,” he said. “We need to get everything we can so I can get back on the field. I’m not taking no for an answer.”
Sanders shared that message with the rest of the Colorado team during a meeting after they got back to Boulder. Hunter missed his first game of the season after he was sent to the hospital with a lacerated liver by a hit in the Colorado State game. The initial timeline was expected to keep Hunter out two weeks at a minimum.
But Hunter watched the Buffs lose to Oregon 42-6 on the road this past Saturday. The loss dropped CU out of the Top 25. And this weekend they’ll welcome No. 8 USC to Folsom Field.
It’s hard to undervalue how much CU could use Hunter’s ability as a lockdown corner against the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Caleb Williams.
“No, you ain’t ready and I care about you more than I care about this game,” Sanders responded to Hunter. “You’re gonna change the game of football one day when you’re healthy and ready. Your future is brighter than mine ever will be or ever was. Relax and get healthy. I love you son.
“That was the conversation. I care about y’all more than I care about this game. But I want you to learn throughout this game and through our trials and tribulations who you are.”
But why does Deion need to share this and make it public?

Recruiting dawg
On the other hand, if Sanders actually is not going to let him play when he could, I suspect that puts him in the distinct minority of coaches who would keep the guy on the bench. If we're going to say he's publishing it for recruiting I think we should acknowledge that he seems to be putting his money where his mouth is on running the program in a way that is more focused on the players' futures. Of course, maybe the guy wouldn't have gotten clearance anyway but I don't know.

I also see that the article says that he shared the texts with the team. Do we know that he arranged for them to be published or did someone do that on their own?

Reactions: loca2874
Because everything Deion does is public. Do I believe that he really does care about his players and factors in their futures when making personnel decisions? 100%

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Ugh we are, what, 4 games in and I already have Prime fatigue.
Yeah, I reached that point fully during the Oregon game, and I didn't even really watch it. (I watched about 20 min of it on and off during about 45 min of the game.)

Psh. Every single thing he does is for the camera. It's nauseating. Actions speak louder than words.
Can you imagine if HBO Hard Knocks was around when he was playing?

Obviously I think there is a lot of ego involved with anything Deion does. He's always been that spotlight guy and he's chased it somewhat too. But I do think he genuinely cares about his players...and I'll be honest, I don't know if he's a great x's and o's coach. He's probably a great technique coach for DBs, and he can probably help teach WRs to beat certain DB coverages. I don't know if he's the game plan master like KW might be. But he's got some guys on his staff who can absolutely coach. Everyone trying to give Colorado the business for getting drubbed by a top 10 team...they were 1-11 last year and not competitive at all.

I think CU will be a top 10 team if not next year, the year after.

As a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE Reds fan....Sanders will always be 100% good with me!

On the other hand, if Sanders actually is not going to let him play when he could, I suspect that puts him in the distinct minority of coaches who would keep the guy on the bench. If we're going to say he's publishing it for recruiting I think we should acknowledge that he seems to be putting his money where his mouth is on running the program in a way that is more focused on the players' futures. Of course, maybe the guy wouldn't have gotten clearance anyway but I don't know.

I also see that the article says that he shared the texts with the team. Do we know that he arranged for them to be published or did someone do that on their own?
Sharing it with the team is good leadership if he asked the player if sharing was ok.

Early reports were that he would be out for at least 2 games.

Currently he has sat 1 game...

Ugh we are, what, 4 games in and I already have Prime fatigue.
I think it will all even out. He's a rockstar in a country music world. Even the Oregon coach admitted that Prime is good for college football. New eyes on him and the game. I think one of the things he will learn is to temper back how much he is talking and try to put the focus back on his players.

I dont think he actually talks that much compared to other coaches. It's just he is Prime so he gets all the media when he does talk. He is good for the game for multiple reasons. He is a player's coach. He is also very much about pushing back against a system that gets kids hurt and fights to pay the bill. He has the prestige, money, fame, and power to push against some of these universities and powers at be. You might dislike him but what he brings to the table, you have to love. I am Neon Deion all the way!

Meanwhile.....

Monty: I know you're in excruciating pain, but I need to keep all of these losses close.
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by The Academy Awards

Reactions: OKTornadoes
I think it will all even out. He's a rockstar in a country music world. Even the Oregon coach admitted that Prime is good for college football. New eyes on him and the game. I think one of the things he will learn is to temper back how much he is talking and try to put the focus back on his players.
At some point the new will wear off and he'll be relegated to doing what every other coach in the country does minus the PR blitz.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Can you imagine if HBO Hard Knocks was around when he was playing?

Obviously I think there is a lot of ego involved with anything Deion does. He's always been that spotlight guy and he's chased it somewhat too. But I do think he genuinely cares about his players...and I'll be honest, I don't know if he's a great x's and o's coach. He's probably a great technique coach for DBs, and he can probably help teach WRs to beat certain DB coverages. I don't know if he's the game plan master like KW might be. But he's got some guys on his staff who can absolutely coach. Everyone trying to give Colorado the business for getting drubbed by a top 10 team...they were 1-11 last year and not competitive at all.

I think CU will be a top 10 team if not next year, the year after.
Sanders has a big EGO but he has backed it up as well. He has made every team he has been associated with better. Playing or coaching he is a winner. That said the media plays a lot into his EGO. They want it on TV. The people hating on the man play into his EGO. I am perfectly fine with him doing what he is doing. If they came out at TCU and got smoked, I am fine watching them rail him. They were outplayed last week, and he ate every single bit of it. He will make that team better and he already has. Like him or not, he wins.

Reactions: TU_BLA and tubrent
The name change and having an 8 man security force is just ego.
I remember watching him play and every time he got beat he would limp for 30 seconds. That always drove me nuts.

That said, he does seem like a players coach and has backed up his talk until this last game. He’s good for college football and keeps the bigger team names out of the discussion during every other televised game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT