ADVERTISEMENT

TU at UTSA game thread

I’m pretty much giving all my basketball thought and love to the Thunder. Sorry. Well actually I’m not. They are good.

Yes, the Thunder are fun to watch again and have moved back up the standings much quicker than expected. They make it hard to watch these 50 point college games.

Unfortunately the Williams "twins" have been the most disappointing part of the season. And they are given prominent starting positions. We have to have instant help next year from upperclassmen. It is rare that a Freshman can come in and be all-conference like P.J.

Haven't been sure about Konkol since he was first hired.... then he has a single digit win season and follows it up with this subpar series of outings despite replacing his entire team.

He almost has me wishing for Haith back (I think I just vomited in my mouth a bit)

We are two years behind where I expected us to be with a new coach (Most decent coaches should have been able to walk into Tulsa and win 5 games in conference in the new "C-USA Lite" their first season)

What is Doug Wojcik doing these days? Think he would be willing to come throw some chairs at people for a couple hundred thou?

Can the next search committee not include Rick Dixon please?

200.webp

Last edited:
Reactions: libertychamp
God almighty I would never take the job of head basketball coach, if it were reliant on such fans whims, nor would most qualified coaches out there. Which is why the athletic dept will give Konkol another year at least.

God almighty I would never take the job of head basketball coach, if it were reliant on such fans whims, nor would most qualified coaches out there. Which is why the athletic dept will give Konkol another year at least.
The record will what most of us expected after last years disaster.
None of us expected to so dismal on the road or for a 9-19 UTSA to look like a top 10 team against us.
My question now is, do we pay to play in post season for experience?

None of us expected to so dismal on the road or for a 9-19 UTSA to look like a top 10 team against us.
And according to what I know there wasn't any nil this year, and there will be next year.(AND if there was some, it was extremely limited.)

As far as I know, there was only the Alston funds this year. If this is true then the fans complaining loudly right now, want to can him when he didn't have Nil to support him in getting the players he got to come. If he had any kind of Nil to help him out, I don't think he would have had to take Keita as his 13th or 17th option. Which would have made our team immensely better. If only he could have received a commitment from somebody like Lendelbourg.

Reactions: dougheffking
The pissing and moaning is just nauseating. Yea, you fire Konkol now and watch what happens. Abject disaster.

Haven't been sure about Konkol since he was first hired.... then he has a single digit win season and follows it up with this subpar series of outings despite replacing his entire team.

He almost has me wishing for Haith back (I think I just vomited in my mouth a bit)

We are two years behind where I expected us to be with a new coach (Most decent coaches should have been able to walk into Tulsa and win 5 games in conference in the new "C-USA Lite" their first season)

What is Doug Wojcik doing these days? Think he would be willing to come throw some chairs at people for a couple hundred thou?

Can the next search committee not include Rick Dixon please?

200.webp
Two years behind? bahahahahahah, please stop saying absolutely ridiculous BS.

Absolutely not.

I'm not happy with our away progress...but overall I love this team and the direction it's going. We are one of the youngest teams in the nation. They have a lot to learn and they will grow. I think Konkol is doing it right. He is building a foundation. He is not trying to make an overnight sensation, he is trying to get us that generational wealth. I am more than willing to let him really get his players, get them trained up, get a couple years in his system, and see where he goes with it. I think he will bring us back to the glory land and mainly because he is doing this right. Overnight successes scare me, it's short lived usually. You have to build the foundation which means slow growth, but sustainable growth.

I'm not happy with our away progress...but overall I love this team and the direction it's going. We are one of the youngest teams in the nation. They have a lot to learn and they will grow. I think Konkol is doing it right. He is building a foundation. He is not trying to make an overnight sensation, he is trying to get us that generational wealth. I am more than willing to let him really get his players, get them trained up, get a couple years in his system, and see where he goes with it. I think he will bring us back to the glory land and mainly because he is doing this right. Overnight successes scare me, it's short lived usually. You have to build the foundation which means slow growth, but sustainable growth.
Amen. I mean it is staggering how bad we are on the road as opposed to home (we've been very competitive at home and look competent). Now I know we aren't Kansas, but just look at how bad they've been on the road...getting blown out left and right by not great teams. Let him build this program.

UTSA is a 33 percent shooting team from deep. If they are on their game they are tough to beat. They shoot more 3 pointers than their opponents. Today they were on it and they shot 42 percent after taking 12 more 3-pointers than we did. I kept saying last week that this was a trap game because UTSA can shoot the three and teams in this conference just don’t play well on the road. Well we got beat by 16 on the road. Ok. We are still a better team than we were last year. Just some of you impatient people can’t let a program build and expect us to be Kentucky or Duke every year. Why can’t we? We can, but we are not. You set your expectations too high then you will be let down. My only ask is that we are better than last year and we are.

seems a lot of butt hurt going on round here.

UTSA is a 33 percent shooting team from deep. If they are on their game they are tough to beat. They shoot more 3 pointers than their opponents. Today they were on it and they shot 42 percent after taking 12 more 3-pointers than we did. I kept saying last week that this was a trap game because UTSA can shoot the three and teams in this conference just don’t play well on the road. Well we got beat by 16 on the road. Ok. We are still a better team than we were last year. Just some of you impatient people can’t let a program build and expect us to be Kentucky or Duke every year. Why can’t we? We can, but we are not. You set your expectations too high then you will be let down. My only ask is that we are better than last year and we are.

Spot on post. They made 11 threes in the first half compared to....3 the second, that first half was alot of BS shooting by them but such is basketball.

Let the man build a program and stop saying things like "we are two years behind"...just...stop.

Not sure it’s butt hurt but an expectation to see more effort from the team on the road. I don’t believe that is unreasonable. We have one of the best players in the conference. No reason for the effort we see from his teammates when we’re not playing in our gym. That said, anyone calling for the coach to be fired this year is delusional. He gets and deserves at least one more year.

Not sure it’s butt hurt but an expectation to see more effort from the team on the road. I don’t believe that is unreasonable. We have one of the best players in the conference. No reason for the effort we see from his teammates when we’re not playing in our gym. That said, anyone calling for the coach to be fired this year is delusional. He gets and deserves at least one more year.
Next year is where I will have more expectations that we will be MUCH better.

I totally agree with the effort portion. The butt hurt is a targeted comment. It seems in every game we start out sluggish and uninspiring but then they turn it on and are very inspiring. It’s just hard for me to have very high expectations for a very young team. I keep mine low so I don’t get disappointed. We have two games left and both are winnable and are also a time for wondering WTF! We can play some lights out ball but right now it’s PJ the there is Garcia, Archie, COBE and Barnes then the rest of the team

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
In all honesty, I look at this like year 1. Last year didn't count in my opinion. He was put in such a crappy situation, it was just survival until he could actually recruit and get going. Next Year I would love to see 18-20 wins. The year after is where I expect to see major progress. We should be fighting for top #5 in conference and be a bubble/nit at the least. The year after that I want to see a realistic chance at the NCAA. Not saying we have to make it but a realistic chance of getting there.

The Offensive Rebounds, Assists and TO's tell the story

2 offensive Rebounds
9 assists
11 TO
Vs
UTSA'S
30 Def Rebounds
23 Assists
7 TO

We are a poor fundamental basketball team..

Reactions: t-townpod
The biggest challenge to every coach now is how to “ build” a program. What Konkol is doing is just as good as what Self and Tubby did. If Self had to worry about the portal and nil after his second year, he would be worried about teams trying to get Harrington and Johnson. . Back then the good players returned each year and Self released the weaker ones. Konkol is attempting to keep the best players and upgrading the others, but it is a tough thing in today world. Obviously if he can keep Haggerty along with the other best players and find another big ready to play with Haggerty explosiveness and another good guard, we will be fine.

If Konkol were building a team in 1993 or even 2009 I think this would be a valid observation. The paradigm of college basketball has changed drastically and a slow methodical build is probably not even possible anymore due to NIL.

Look at the turnaround that USF has seen. They went from one of the worst teams in the league to the league leader and a top 25 ranking in one season with their coaching change. Do you know how many of their top 10 scorers were with the team last year? Two.

This coaching transition has been bungled both by poor administration hamstringing Konkol early, and his own mediocre basketball scheme. We will be extremely lucky to be an NIT contender next year, and that's not a great expectation for a coach in year 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: libertychamp
Stick to baseball k thx.
How about you stick to intramurals bud.

I mean you are wrong, and there is ZERO evidence to support your ridiculous comment.
I mean you are wrong....a 0.176 conference win rate and a .333 overall win rate as Tulsa head coach beg to differ. They're not smoking guns.... but they are evidence and fairly damning evidence at that.

Also boneheaded roster moves are some evidence as well. We asked Anthony Pritchard to leave (13.5 ppg, 5 Reb, 4 ast) and asked Jesaiah McWright to stay.... (3.4 pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.5 assists)

In the words of our esteemed alumnus....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Dumb. Like that's not even funny for this conversation.
I found it hilarious. Sometimes you have to step back and chuckle at what is taking place.

We have an all-time freshmen and some incoming all conference type guards and we cant get off the struggle bus. It is interesting..

Also boneheaded roster moves are some evidence as well. We asked Anthony Pritchard to leave (13.5 ppg, 5 Reb, 4 ast) and asked Jesaiah McWright to stay.... (3.4 pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.5 assists)
We didn't ask him to leave. He left because he didn't want to be here. Seeing as how he quit on the team, we probably held the door for him on his way out though. We got a better point guard anyway.

The biggest challenge to every coach now is how to “ build” a program. What Konkol is doing is just as good as what Self and Tubby did. If Self had to worry about the portal and nil after his second year, he would be worried about teams trying to get Harrington and Johnson. . Back then the good players returned each year and Self released the weaker ones. Konkol is attempting to keep the best players and upgrading the others, but it is a tough thing in today world. Obviously if he can keep Haggerty along with the other best players and find another big ready to play with Haggerty explosiveness and another good guard, we will be fine.
In these times.... building a program is nearly impossible at Tulsa. The NIL and transfer rules have hammered TU. Tulsa can't or won't adjust. It's unfortunate.

We didn't ask him to leave. He left because he didn't want to be here. Seeing as how he quit on the team, we probably held the door for him on his way out though. We got a better point guard anyway.
You’re better off talking to a brick wall. He’s said himself that there is no reason Konkol shouldn’t have landed a roster of all 4*+ players because that’s what the portal allows for. So that’s the mentality you’re dealing with here.

Which point guard was that?

You’re better off talking to a brick wall. He’s said himself that there is no reason Konkol shouldn’t have landed a roster of all 4*+ players because that’s what the portal allows for. So that’s the mentality you’re dealing with here.
I have never said that you moron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT