ADVERTISEMENT

TU at ECU

For everyone crying for the reserves to come in, this is why you don't send them in until the very end and the game is totally out of reach.

Hey, we beat the spread! After 10 years of placing bets I finally got a cover from my beloved Hurricane!

Reactions: HuffyCane
For everyone crying for the reserves to come in, this is why you don't send them in until the very end and the game is totally out of reach.
As a former player I totally disagree. I have been in both situations as the guy going in and the guy coming out. Players are brothers they want to see the guys that work hard all season long to get some PT. Game is in hand give them a chance to see the field.

Our offense was 118th in sacks per game last year. It's 124th this year. I'm not seeing where a mobile QB would have helped us much. Having a QB who could consistently complete a pass is what made our offense respectable this year.

As a former player I totally disagree. I have been in both situations as the guy going in and the guy coming out. Players are brothers they want to see the guys that work hard all season long to get some PT. Game is in hand give them a chance to see the field.
Yes, once the game is in hand you send them in. With the season we've had no game is in hand with 8 minutes left, imo.

If he was, that read is much more of a threat for the QB to pull and timing isn't probably an issue.
Boomer coulda pulled it and didn't on that play though.

The QB run threat is greater with Boomer, but the passing is better with Smith. You have to pick your poison. I'll take a throwing qb over a runner if I have to choose.

Reactions: Buzzy56
Our offense was 118th in sacks per game last year. It's 124th this year. I'm not seeing where a mobile QB would have helped us much. Having a QB who could consistently complete a pass is what made our offense respectable this year.
I can't agree with that one, a mobile QB would have done multiple things to improve the offense this season. Want to know what a mobile QB does for a team with a weak offensive line? Just look at Tulane, what did they do to us? There are several dozen examples of what a mobile QB does for a team in the NCAA without adding the how they have changed the Pro game.

My opinion, Smith was not the right call this year because he is an inaccurate passer on all throws, is less mobile than Tom Brady, held onto the ball in the pocket too long, stared down his receivers, threw into multiple coverage regularly, missed wide open receivers, threw behind consistently on slants, misread defensive coverage and was either way over or way under on his deep throws. Yes, two of those were covered under "inaccurate passer" but I was on a roll.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Not a chance . You take the player who can make every throw on the field versus mobility . Do you think Hurt is better than Mayfield or Murray ? I do not.

As clearly pointed out by another poster Zach can't make the throws. Perhaps he has the ability but consistently he missed on slants and missed on deep balls. He also frequently missed wide open players.

Not a chance . You take the player who can make every throw on the field versus mobility . Do you think Hurt is better than Mayfield or Murray ? I do not.

Odd, who has a better record at QB?

Because if you ask any of those players or any player at the top of the game, the W's are what makes you good or bad.

As clearly pointed out by another poster Zach can't make the throws. Perhaps he has the ability but consistently he missed on slants and missed on deep balls. He also frequently missed wide open players.
It's clear to me you dont know the differences between a dropped passes and a bad throws! Do your homework and count the dropped catches and really bad thrown passes!
We would have had more wins if we could have caught a few of them!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Don’t know what to tell you other than there’s probably not a single coach in the country that would have made Smith our #2. It’s not a particularly close call

So maybe it was, but when you are choosing between a poop or crap sandwich you are still eating poorly...

Reactions: TU 1978 and TUBixby
Paul Smith... couldn't make all the throws on the field but was accurate and had QB intelligence with some wheels. He won a few games for us... Give me the "winner" over the "looker" every single time

Reactions: maverickfp
The difference between the offense in 2015 when Dane didn’t run and 2016 when he might and occasionally did, especially in the red zone, was evident. Same principles apply here. The offense would run better if Smith ran better. But he doesn’t and can’t so we won’t which means we are scheming to the system not our players and that’s the reason why we are losing not dropped passes.

Paul Smith... couldn't make all the throws on the field but was accurate and had QB intelligence with some wheels. He won a few games for us... Give me the "winner" over the "looker" every single time
Paul was good enough to be on an NFL practice squad for a season. Was even on the active roster for one game.

It's clear to me you dont know the differences between a dropped passes and a bad throws! Do your homework and count the dropped catches and really bad thrown passes!

I know throwing a bullet behind a reciever on a slant is unlikely to be completed. Something that happened three times in this game.

I know open receivers who aren't thrown the ball can't make drops. Which happened at least three times on 3rd down this game as well.

I know I have little faith in the judgement of a head coach who has blown as many winnable games as the current one has.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TulsaAM

I know throwing a bullet behind a reciever on a slant is unlikely to be completed. Something that happened three times in this game.

I know open receivers who aren't thrown the ball can't make drops. Which happened at least three times on 3rd down this game as well.

I know I have little faith in the judgement of a head coach who has blown as many winnable games as the current one has.
Smith was 21-30 for 330+ today with the one INT (which I missed and subsequently didn’t hurt us). I know of at least 3 passes that were on the money that got dropped as well. He missed on 6 passes out of 30. 20%. If you think that’s too much you’re crazy. He had a 70% completion rate. 60% is good. 65% is very good. 70% is great. Why are we having this argument?

Smith was 21-30 for 330+ today with the one INT (which I missed and subsequently didn’t hurt us). I know of at least 3 passes that were on the money that got dropped as well. He missed on 6 passes out of 30. 20%. If you think that’s too much you’re crazy. He had a 70% completion rate. 60% is good. 65% is very good. 70% is great. Why are we having this argument?

Because he has a season long completion rate of 55% coming into the game. In particular he has struggled delivering catchable balls and often misses open receivers, when it happens in close games it matters.

Anyone who thinks our offense was the reason for any of our limited success isn't paying attention. If in particular you're claiming it was our passing/qb game that has been the bread and butter of our offense Shamari would like a word with you.

Because he has a season long completion rate of 55% coming into the game. In particular he has struggled delivering catchable balls and often misses open receivers, when it happens in close games it matters.

Anyone who thinks our offense was the reason for any of our limited success isn't paying attention. If in particular you're claiming it was our passing/qb game that has been the bread and butter of our offense Shamari would like a word with you.
As he repeatedly slams into the defensive line because the oline couldn't block for him and he was pushed down the middle for negative no gain. 1000 yds has never looked so dismal.(Nothing against Brooks, it wasn't his fault.)

Last edited:
As he repeatedly slams into the defensive line because the oline couldn't block for him and he was pushed down the middle for negative no gain. 1000 yds has never looked so dismal.(Noting against Brooks, it wasn't his fault.)
The same reason above is the reason for Smith's 55% completion rate. When the line can't block he can't make good throws all the time. Yes, he had bad pocket awareness but I'll take the arm over a scrambler who can't make all the throws.

ECU's Dline was made up of paper people and we subsequently shredded them in the run and pass game because our line dominated. Our run and pass yardage was almost dead even as it should be.

The same reason above is the reason for Smith's 55% completion rate. When the line can't block he can't make good throws all the time. Yes, he had bad pocket awareness but I'll take the arm over a scrambler who can't make all the throws.

ECU's Dline was made up of paper people and we subsequently shredded them in the run and pass game because our line dominated. Our run and pass yardage was almost dead even as it should be.
Agreed, but the oline was always a little better at pass protection than the run.

Because they want to be on a “Seniors Only” debate team. The offensive line had a good day and Smith had a very good day, so they still fantasize that Boomer somehow is the better choice because of his mobility. Fans always love the # 2 quarterback . Seth Boomer needs to dedicate himself to the weight room like everyone on the team and work on the intangibles like quick release , footwork, flexibility, yoga,zen and ballet lessons.

Because they want to be on a “Seniors Only” debate team. The offensive line had a good day and Smith had a very good day, so they still fantasize that Boomer somehow is the better choice because of his mobility. Fans always love the # 2 quarterback . Seth Boomer needs to dedicate himself to the weight room like everyone on the team and work on the intangibles like quick release , footwork, flexibility, yoga,zen and ballet lessons.
There are two things Smith has over Boomer (IMO). 1st, Smith’s arm is clearly stronger and his release is quicker. This makes him better suited to hit on the slants that seem to be a staple of Monty’s offense. 2nd, Smith progresses through his reads a lot quicker. This is invaluable behind this offensive line. Boomer and Skipper struggled if the 1st option was not immediately open. And Smith proved yesterday, if you give him standard time in the pocket (3-4 seconds), he is going to find a receiver to throw to.

Yeah, I get that Boomer can keep a play alive but that’s also going to get him killed.

Agreed, but the oline was always a little better at pass protection than the run.
Think I'm going with the glass is half empty philosophy here...

There are two things Smith has over Boomer (IMO). 1st, Smith’s arm is clearly stronger and his release is quicker. This makes him better suited to hit on the slants that seem to be a staple of Monty’s offense. 2nd, Smith progresses through his reads a lot quicker. This is invaluable behind this offensive line. Boomer and Skipper struggled if the 1st option was not immediately open. And Smith proved yesterday, if you give him standard time in the pocket (3-4 seconds), he is going to find a receiver to throw to.

Yeah, I get that Boomer can keep a play alive but that’s also going to get him killed.
I still wonder how Smith survived the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT