ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Your definition of decent is less than mine. We are average to a little below average this year, but it is great progress from whence we came. My opinion of decent is 18 or 19 wins against a better schedule. Which is likely where we could be with two additional players as well as Willis & Smikle. You have no vision for the abilities of this team with experience, and four additional players.
Yeah, this is a below average team at best. We didn't even finish close to .500 in conference. That said, this was probably the best we could have reasonably hoped for after last year.

In a truly screwed up way, I think Konkol is better off having won 5 games last year than if he'd won 10. People are like "last year doesn't count". What??? Nobody would give him a full Mulligan if he'd won 10 games. It makes no sense to me. If your team does badly, you're a bad coach but if you're team is a toxic sludge site, you're a good coach.

Yeah, this is a below average team at best. We didn't even finish close to .500 in conference. That said, this was probably the best we could have reasonably hoped for after last year.

In a truly screwed up way, I think Konkol is better off having won 5 games last year than if he'd won 10. People are like "last year doesn't count". What??? Nobody would give him a full Mulligan if he'd won 10 games. It makes no sense to me. If your team does badly, you're a bad coach but if you're team is a toxic sludge site, you're a good coach.
He made a 5 win season with all of Haith's players. What's not to understand.

What a stupid post.

We were 2 games off of .500 in conference. What do you consider close to .500. 8 wins? :rolleyes:

Reactions: dougheffking
Cool story. Was his post NOT stupid?
We were 1 game above 500 with an incredibly easy non conference schedule, to think that is good is incorrect , regardless I’m not going to go around calling people stupid if they have a different view than me. I know there are people here who feel differently on subjects but I can still get along with them without calling them stupid , you know , things you should have picked up in kindergarten

The conference was weird this year. There were 7 teams above .500, a break of 3 games, then 7 teams below .500. We and ECU were the best of the bad group, which is better than being the worst of the bad group I guess. But we were as close to being the worst team in the conference (3 games) as we were to being at the bottom of the good team group, which still would have left us 6 games back from the #1 team. We're not even average in the AAC.

Yep. We did as well this year as I would have expected but there's a LONG way to go. This year was only good because last year was such a freaking all out disaster.
Agreed , I think there is a ton of potential for next year , I just can’t say that we were “ good “ this year

Reactions: chito_and_leon
The conference was weird this year. There were 7 teams above .500, a break of 3 games, then 7 teams below .500. We and ECU were the best of the bad group, which is better than being the worst of the bad group I guess. But we were as close to being the worst team in the conference (3 games) as we were to being at the bottom of the good team group, which still would have left us 6 games back from the #1 team. We're not even average in the AAC.
When you work really hard to prove your point...

When you work really hard to prove your point...
You seem oddly fixated on whether 7-11 is close to .500 or not. I don't think winning 39% is close to .500 but who cares, it's a stupid point to fixate on, except that you really want to "win" the "debate" about how many angels fit on the end of a pin. The thing that matters is, are (were, I guess) we a good team? If you feel better because we only finished 2 games under .500 then I'm glad you feel better. You and the dough boy can get together and trade memories of what a grand and glorious year this was and how you showed the entire group of 9 posters that you're super smart by nitpicking some other poster's phrasing to death to prove them wrong. It'll be lovely I'm sure.

Once again proving this entire thread has devolved into amateur hour in the afternoon rather quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: rusty-c
We just don’t want another David Wishon or Big E. Height is nice , but it dosnt matter if you are no threat offensively or defensively . Regardless if he stays , we need to pick up another big man for depth anyway

Which “Big E” are you referencing? Hopefully not Lindblad.

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM
I was talking to a South Florida fan at the game and he was telling me Memphis was paying their players 250 thousand each and the player from K-State who came in the middle of the year is going to get 250 thousand for half a year. That is what worries me about losing Haggerty. That 250 is probably a lot more than Nelp is getting. We won’t match that amount

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Ok, he was ‘a’ Big E, but not ‘the’ Big E.
What about this guy?

Ewen 'Big E' Ettore

Big-E-0b97b129169d4152a1114968c2b5b228.jpg

I was talking to a South Florida fan at the game and he was telling me Memphis was paying their players 250 thousand each and the player from K-State who came in the middle of the year is going to get 250 thousand for half a year. That is what worries me about losing Haggerty. That 250 is probably a lot more than Nelp is getting. We won’t match that amount
Numbers are inflated and deflated for various reasons. Memphis does have a good NIL account but I suspect probably near what they unofficially “ paid” before NIL according to some.

Numbers are inflated and deflated for various reasons. Memphis does have a good NIL account but I suspect probably near what they unofficially “ paid” before NIL according to some.
Since highly recruited players are getting big money , how about universities rescinding their scholarships
and let them pay for books, tuition and housing . The perpetual format of having one's "hand out" plus
having the university provide educational expenses , food , housing and medical services has reduced
college sports to D-league semi-professional levels . Paying players who jump from team to team has
ruined the love of college sports for me , that's exactly why I quit watching the majority of NFL football
except for the playoffs . I'm interested in TU football & basketball because I love the underdog mentality
and since TU can't afford to dole out the big bucks to players it really makes it difficult to compete . I
hope adjustments will be made on the NIL fiasco and kids will play for their college instead of money .

Since highly recruited players are getting big money , how about universities rescinding their scholarships
and let them pay for books, tuition and housing . The perpetual format of having one's "hand out" plus
having the university provide educational expenses , food , housing and medical services has reduced
college sports to D-league semi-professional levels . Paying players who jump from team to team has
ruined the love of college sports for me , that's exactly why I quit watching the majority of NFL football
except for the playoffs . I'm interested in TU football & basketball because I love the underdog mentality
and since TU can't afford to dole out the big bucks to players it really makes it difficult to compete . I
hope adjustments will be made on the NIL fiasco and kids will play for their college instead of money .
Amen! Ironically college sports are worse than pro. Pros have these same issues and they've tried address them, pro teams can at least sign multi-year contracts and NFL and NBA have provisions that make it easier for teams to keep their best players, as well as salary caps of one kind or another to level the field. College sports have to figure this out or they'll start to die.

Well, Konkol certainly inherited the toxic sludge site when he took the runaway carriage from Haith.

Konkol proved himself a good coach during his tenure at LaTech. Tulsa is a different situation, environment, etc., so he needs to prove himself a good coach that is able to adapt to the landscape he is in. My gut tells me that he will do just that. He however must retain nearly the entire roster, most especially Haggerty as well as all that were developing and contributing throughout the season. Those retained must move from being one of the youngest teams in the country to battle harden and seasoned players that fully understand their roles. The new signees need to be what they're projected, and we MUST have a big physical presence in the middle that can grab rebounds. We lost yesterday due to the lack of a big body that could fight for position and grab boards.

He's certainly got work to do ahead of next season but I believe he's up to the task.

Is this our answer for next year? lol. Only non-serious comments, please

Phipps is a good percentage shooter if his teammates would screen for him to take
horse shots , if he could be effective on dribble drive jump shots Phipps would have
played more at ORU . In my opinion he needs to play on the D2 level and have some
success . Is he a defensive liability ? I don't know , but that could have been a factor .

Phipps is a good percentage shooter if his teammates would screen for him to take
horse shots
, if he could be effective on dribble drive jump shots Phipps would have
played more at ORU .
In my opinion he needs to play on the D2 level and have some
success . Is he a defensive liability ? I don't know , but that could have been a factor .

He could join Haisten at the TW
Comedy gold. That's some funny stuff.

What’s different from LaTech is that coaching x and o’s now is almost secondary to player retention and portal fill-ins. Some coaches are considering just quitting.
I wonder if schools will elevate the recruiting director to be more like a pro GM position?

As long as head coaches as mid tier schools make $1m+, there will be people to do that job tho as you say, the skill set might change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT