ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

The NIL and immediate eligibility for undergrad transfers may kill FBS football interest among casual fans. Unlike the Pro’s you can’t even guarantee a contracted time commitment. OU and UGA neutered the NCAA when they sued over TV rights. Now when unbiased leadership is needed there is a void that will be filled by greed. Most student athletes will suffer (except a few high profile players) because they will be at a disadvantage; as most schools will also be impacted look for there to be a drop in scholarships (not just football) because of dwindling support and revenue. Things that got SMU the death penalty, OU, OSU, Texas, etc… on probation are now occurring in the open so let the alumni and booster bidding wars for “amateur” players move full speed ahead while the NFL sits on the sideline laughing that they don’t have to pay for it.

Last edited:
No dice...Vegas odds on that would be something like 1-5. It's a foregone conclusion...the letter Castiglione and Venables put out about continuing to engage him was simply them looking for NIL money to compete with some of the offers he will get. Where's Big Red Auto with a Lexus for Williams and both his parents PLUS $$$
I thought the same thing...

Word on the street is that Texas A&M secured $30M in NIL deals for its top rated 2022 class. The deals are structured where they pay out each year thus preventing a player from signing, collecting his $$, and then transferring to another program for new NIL money.

Word on the street is that Texas A&M secured $30M in NIL deals for its top rated 2022 class. The deals are structured where they pay out each year thus preventing a player from signing, collecting his $$, and then transferring to another program for new NIL money.
I would hate to be a coach recruiting kids now...

Last edited:
Reactions: lawpoke87
We do need to beat OU n OSU to the punch though and get the medical weed business inked to an NIL for our players

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
The NIL and immediate eligibility for undergrad transfers may kill FBS football interest among casual fans. Unlike the Pro’s you can’t even guarantee a contracted time commitment. OU and UGA neutered the NCAA when they sued over TV rights. Now when unbiased leadership is needed there is a void that will be filled by greed. Most student athletes will suffer (except a few high profile players) because they will be at a disadvantage; as most schools will also be impacted look for there to be a drop in scholarships (not just football) because of dwindling support and revenue. Things that got SMU the death penalty, OU, OSU, Texas, etc… on probation are now occurring in the open so let the alumni and booster bidding wars for “amateur” players move full speed ahead while the NFL sits on the sideline laughing that they don’t have to pay for it.
Yep!

Regarding NIL deals, what is Dickson doing to line up Tulsa area businesses? Quik Trip comes to mind.

😞

So $30m over 4 years is $7.5m per year for players, which is ... 20% less than they pay their head coach...

The colleges will come together and agree on a salary cap or similar setup, they'll face the same problems that have pushed all other pro leagues there.

So $30m over 4 years is $7.5m per year for players, which is ... 20% less than they pay their head coach...

The colleges will come together and agree on a salary cap or similar setup, they'll face the same problems that have pushed all other pro leagues there.
Not sure if the $30M is for the entire team or just this year’s recruiting class. Assume more details will soon leak out.

We need someone to win the Powerball and use the $$$$$$$$$$ for TU NIL in football and BB for 4 years. Bet the powers that be figure out how to change the rules in a NY minute 😉

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
the money paid to the players should go into an account, and then distributed to all the players equally.

Looking at his stats he only played in four games his Freshman year. That should qualify for a RS. He has played in three other years. Assuming he get the RS and Covid year he should have two years remaining.

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

RECYDSAVGTDLNGATTYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST
you are right. I just looked at the years played and didn’t realize 2019 was not listed. The key then will be can he get a medical exception for 2019.

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

RECYDSAVGTDLNGATTYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST
you are right. I just looked at the years played and didn’t realize 2019 was not listed. The key then will be can he get a medical exception for 2019.
2019 was his redshirt year. He played in all 13 games in ‘17 and ‘18.

I really liked how Naylor developed this year, but he badly needed another college year to have a realistic shot at being a pro receiver. He will have trouble getting a camp tryout invite. I hope I'm wrong on that. Wish him well.
I agree , he was a nice piece to have for us, but I just don’t see him in the NFL

Reactions: drboobay
Regarding the NIL...

Some of the best years Tulsa had as a program were in the 1940's post-WWII when oil money from the wars was being poured into the program. From what I heard, businesses were basically doing under-the-table NIL deals back in the day (of course illegal). TU could get back, but legally, if the oil boomed again in such a way.

Good, bad, and ugly...war made Tulsa rich. Another one might do the same. Now if someone wants to just wonder over to the Russia-Ukraine border...

Regarding the NIL...

Some of the best years Tulsa had as a program were in the 1940's post-WWII when oil money from the wars was being poured into the program. From what I heard, businesses were basically doing under-the-table NIL deals back in the day (of course illegal). TU could get back, but legally, if the oil boomed again in such a way.

Good, bad, and ugly...war made Tulsa rich. Another one might do the same. Now if someone wants to just wonder over to the Russia-Ukraine border...
Not so sure about war money, but many private schools in the country had their best years during the 30's, 40's and 50's. Most probably due to payola from boosters to players. By the 60's the big state schools had enlarged their stadiums with tax dollars and began to dominate. They also began to outbid the private schools for players.

It wasn't called NIL but it has been around in college football for a long time!!!

GO TU!!!!!

Not so sure about war money, but many private schools in the country had their best years during the 30's, 40's and 50's. Most probably due to payola from boosters to players. By the 60's the big state schools had enlarged their stadiums with tax dollars and began to dominate. They also began to outbid the private schools for players.

It wasn't called NIL but it has been around in college football for a long time!!!

GO TU!!!!!
GI bill probably had a lot to do with it too as state universities enrollment swelled...

Illingworth at OSU just entered the portal. He won the game vs TU last year...before that Sanders was just lost and so was OSU's offense.

Reactions: TULSARISING
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT