ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Crawford will play for Rice next year while pursuing an MBA. Tell me we aren’t broken right now.
Getting an undergrad from TU and an MBA from Rice will have Sam set up nicely for a career after football. If he gets both from football scholarships, I can't say he made a poor decision. We've had minimal defection on the transfer portal compared to other schools, so we're not hemorrhaging too badly. Not sure what to make of signing day yesterday... Saw only 2 and 3 star recruits; hopefully there's another Zaven Collins in there

Getting an undergrad from TU and an MBA from Rice will have Sam set up nicely for a career after football. If he gets both from football scholarships, I can't say he made a poor decision. We've had minimal defection on the transfer portal compared to other schools, so we're not hemorrhaging too badly. Not sure what to make of signing day yesterday... Saw only 2 and 3 star recruits; hopefully there's another Zaven Collins in there
I would imagine once academic eligibility is confirmed in a few weeks, we will see more than a few transfers. Get ready.

Reactions: loca2874
Zaven was a two star QB. We had a guy that saw potential and was willing to stick his neck out for that. He’s gone. We are left with a guy that coached with the dudes that made RGIII and Collins first rounders and thinks he’s a genius. I’ve seen this movie before. I’m not optimistic. Guys like the Potts kid might grow and be special, but we have no assurance anymore that investment will pay any dividends.

I would imagine once academic eligibility is confirmed in a few weeks, we will see more than a few transfers. Get ready.
You're probably right. In watching all our home games this year, the attendance was so low (even for homecoming) and the bleachers so starkly bare, I was wondering what an unbelievable spin our coaches would have to pitch to high school recruits about joining Tulsa on the basis of our 'exciting' football program. I guess this applies to men's basketball as well given the attendance last game was a record low.

Reactions: PNTrough
You're probably right. In watching all our home games this year, the attendance was so low (even for homecoming) and the bleachers so starkly bare, I was wondering what an unbelievable spin our coaches would have to pitch to high school recruits about joining Tulsa on the basis of our 'exciting' football program. I guess this applies to men's basketball as well given the attendance last game was a record low.
Well with half the games on weeknights we probably didn’t have many high school recruits that were able to come see the empty bleachers. We really do put ourselves at a disadvantage by playing multiple Friday games.

Well with half the games on weeknights we probably didn’t have many high school recruits that were able to come see the empty bleachers. We really do put ourselves at a disadvantage by playing multiple Friday games.
Not our choice.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Not our choice.
I don’t believe any other team in the league played two Friday home games or three weeknight games. Several of the teams didn’t play any Friday home games at all.

Either way, we are being put at a disadvantage.

I don’t believe any other team in the league played two Friday home games or three weeknight games. Several of the teams didn’t play any Friday home games at all.

Either way, we are being put at a disadvantage.
My answer was just an assumption. Perhaps we have some influence and decided to take the TV exposure over the incremental crowd such as that might be.

My answer was just an assumption. Perhaps we have some influence and decided to take the TV exposure over the incremental crowd such as that might be.
The incremental crowd loss isn’t the problem. It’s the lack of available dates for high school recruits to attend games. Unfortunately, those recruits would have been greeted by empty seats and a few bored fans this season. It’s just going to be hard to get a full signing class in place when we have very few opportunities to show what we do have.

Signing day at TU. Monty and the staff do a very good job of finding “ diamonds in the rough”. Value.

Look at Zaven Collins, and many more. This staff finds players that fit the culture. Last, Monty did a very good job of working the portal last spring. A lot of people scratched their heads with a “lite” class last year. Monty had powder to go out and offer grad transfers.

My wish for Christmas? A new offensive line coach and D-Coordinator, both with deep Texas ties.

Signing day at TU. Monty and the staff do a very good job of finding “ diamonds in the rough”. Value.

Look at Zaven Collins, and many more. This staff finds players that fit the culture. Last, Monty did a very good job of working the portal last spring. A lot of people scratched their heads with a “lite” class last year. Monty had powder to go out and offer grad transfers.

My wish for Christmas? A new offensive line coach and D-Coordinator, both with deep Texas ties.
Add an Offensive Coordinator that runs a legitimate college type of offense and we might see meaningful change.

Reactions: rusty-c
We get put in those games because the TV and streaming numbers for the Tulsa and OKC areas is really high. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking no one comes to TU games on Friday nights because of HS football games...it's really because they're lazy a$$e$ who just prefer to sit at home and watch the games on TV. The Tulsa and OKC markets do really really well in comparison to the rest of the country for those Thursday/Friday night TV games (Tulsa and OKC are usually in the top 10 from week to week in all college football viewership regardless of who is playing).

That's a good MBA program, congrats to the young man for being able to get his education from two stellar academic institutions on someone else's dime.

We get put in those games because the TV and streaming numbers for the Tulsa and OKC areas is really high. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking no one comes to TU games on Friday nights because of HS football games...it's really because they're lazy a$$e$ who just prefer to sit at home and watch the games on TV. The Tulsa and OKC markets do really really well in comparison to the rest of the country for those Thursday/Friday night TV games (Tulsa and OKC are usually in the top 10 from week to week in all college football viewership regardless of who is playing).

Even when we have Saturday games though, people don't go in person. Tickets are relatively cheap when compared to OU / OSU and they sell out every Saturday and have similar broadcast convenience same as we do. I think the attendance must be an indictment of on some level, because all else held equal, other schools (including CUSA teams) fill up their bleachers. The only variable that I can point to is Monty's play calling, it's excruciatingly boring and unimaginative. I was watching highlights against Rice in 2012 and the stands were full... RICE! So, it's gotta be something other than streaming / convenience options that's killing our attendance.

Santa brought @TU_BLA his gift …
Nothing against Chris Paul at all...he has been a GREAT ambassador for TU and TU athletics during his time here and he is going to do great things whatever he chooses to do in life whether he continues in football or moves on to a different profession. I just honestly, and objectively, believe that there are other players on the roster better suited for that position this season and things got better for TU in terms of run production and passing production after Chris got hurt.

He got a Senior Bowl invitation which is a big deal. Wise for him to take it.

Nothing against Chris Paul at all...he has been a GREAT ambassador for TU and TU athletics during his time here and he is going to do great things whatever he chooses to do in life whether he continues in football or moves on to a different profession. I just honestly, and objectively, believe that there are other players on the roster better suited for that position this season and things got better for TU in terms of run production and passing production after Chris got hurt.
TU has done well in recruiting so called 2-star linemen that have formed a solid and effective
offensive & defensive unit over the years .

Reactions: loca2874
Look who is not leaving
Not to be a pessimist, but this doesn’t mean he’s coming back to Tulsa. Just means that he’s playing a 5th year of college football. There could be a chance he transfers to TCU and plays for Gillespie. Hopefully he comes back to TU but with the way we’ve gotten burned with grad transfers in the past, I’m not counting that scenario out.

Last edited:
Not to be a pessimist, but this doesn’t mean he’s coming back to Tulsa. Just means that he’s playing a 5th year of college football. There could be a chance he transfers to TCU and plays Gillespie. Hopefully he comes back to TU but with the way we’ve gotten burned with grad transfers in the past, I’m not counting that scenario out.
Well as much as I don’t want to say it. You have a valid point

That’s ok. I think the loss of several defensive staff members helped make Player’s decision to move on.

Last edited:
Well that’s lame. He should transfer to Mizzou like this buddies and go 4-8 next year

Reactions: PNTrough
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT