ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Yeah. We will see. Jerry Schmidt is running a lot of guys out of that program in the last few weeks.

For those unfamiliar, he was Stoops and now Venables strength guy.

He focuses on short but intense work outs, flexibility and some questionable nutrition/recovery concepts.

He’s also known for his slogan “Hard Work Will Beat Talent IF Talent Doesn’t Work Hard.”

He’s been hurt, but there’s obviously unrealized potential. At a certain point you start to wonder if he is part of the problem player crowd that a few of the ex-OU players have talked about. Supposedly under Riley they didn’t want to work and were allowed to coast. And that refrain started before he left.

And our own performance people aren’t slouches either. Glad the kid gets a fresh start but he’s gonna need to work.

Good job, now we need one more to complete the three deep. This guy is unproven on the college level, and may only project as a practice player.(Especially if he has work ethic problems that don't get fixed.) I'd rather have two 'practice players' as our last OL recruits. That gives us more of a chance that one of them will blossom into more.

Reactions: loca2874
Is Tulsa getting better transfers than the other teams in the AAC? Either Chris is an excellent hype guy, or it seems to me we're getting better players interested in coming to Tulsa than I can recall in years prior (or it could be both). I want to believe that TU having 2 first round draft pics in the NFL the past 2 years has put our program in the limelight; resulting in better players, because it can't be due to NIL monies being used to entice them through endorsements... Tulsa is going to lose the bribery battle to teams with rich boosters and packed stadiums for games on Saturdays.

Either Chris is an excellent hype guy, or it seems to me we're getting better players interested in coming to Tulsa than I can recall in years prior (or it could be both).
I don't know that I've hyped any of them, as the majority have little on-field experience, which I pointed out in one of my recent recruiting articles. If you look at the five OL transfers, I don't know that they have a full season's worth of experience between them. There is a lot of potential there, and they will need to gel with the group and come together as a unit this summer and fall.

I don't know that I've hyped any of them, as the majority have little on-field experience, which I pointed out in one of my recent recruiting articles. If you look at the five OL transfers, I don't know that they have a full season's worth of experience between them. There is a lot of potential there, and they will need to gel with the group and come together as a unit this summer and fall.
Correct. P5 teams may have off loaded some OL weight. The test will be whether that’s iron or lead.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Is Tulsa getting better transfers than the other teams in the AAC? Either Chris is an excellent hype guy, or it seems to me we're getting better players interested in coming to Tulsa than I can recall in years prior (or it could be both). I want to believe that TU having 2 first round draft pics in the NFL the past 2 years has put our program in the limelight; resulting in better players, because it can't be due to NIL monies being used to entice them through endorsements... Tulsa is going to lose the bribery battle to teams with rich boosters and packed stadiums for games on Saturdays.
I believe I read somewhere that going high in the draft has a lot to do with marketing. How well do you try to sell the player. Something along those lines.

I feel for him, but am glad that didn't happen here, with him getting reps as a starter. I still think we would've taken Epps and Wheeler, even if he stayed. But we might not have taken somebody that will help fill the depth chart, and compete for playing time later.(Rempert for instance.)

TU’s one offensive line starter, the center, had to also call it quits.

Well, you hate to see Crawford end on a down note. On the other hand, he’s getting his MBA at Rice. Huge.

Recruiting the Kentucky wide receiver, Epps, to Tulsa just makes so much sense.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
SIAP

As much as Marks seemed to be an afterthought as far as when we got him, and his qualifications go, I am really glad we got Marks. Him Simpson, & Herbert are our only transfers on OL, that we have utilized in the main rotation. He has filled in nicely at RG & helped out at center, while Farniok has been down.

Last edited:
As much as Marks seemed to be an afterthought as far as when we got him, and his qualifications go, I am really glad we got Marks. Him Simpson, & Herbert are our only transfers on OL, that we have utilized in the main rotation. He has filled in nicely at RG & helped out at center, while Farniok has been down.
I really think Montgomery did pretty good in the portal this year with Epps and Marks.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
It’s a mixed bag so far. Some immediate contributors, some guys who should have been here all along and will be great in a year or two, and a couple of duds. Pretty much what you can expect from the portal for a program like TU.

Speaking of new contributors. Too bad that Newhouse had to go down. He was our only real contributor as a freshman. I don't know if any others have seen a down, except maybe in mop up duty against Jackson St. Will love to see him next year and the year after that, tho.

Has Zachary been in??? He seems promising.

It’s a mixed bag so far. Some immediate contributors, some guys who should have been here all along and will be great in a year or two, and a couple of duds. Pretty much what you can expect from the portal for a program like TU.
6 out of 14 contributed immediately. I imagine we'll have a couple add-ons contributing by seasons end. Then a couple of three that contribute in a year or so. That's 10 or so contributors out of 14. Thats a good class of transfers. 10/14 is better than we usually do with our recruits.

6 out of 14 contributed immediately. I imagine we'll have a couple add-ons contributing by seasons end. Then a couple of three that contribute in a year or so. That's 10 or so contributors out of 14. Thats a good class of transfers. 10/14 is better than we usually do with our recruits.
There’s a couple of guys who have “contributed immediately” who are really in the category of “needs a couple of years.”

It’s a mixed bag. It’s going to be fine. Not every transfer is here because they are a great player and it was a numbers game elsewhere. A plug and play transfer is a unicorn even at programs that don’t run our unique schemes. Even when they excel we are typically only seeing what they can do in a situation, not what they can’t. That’s coaching right? Creating a winning situation then the player executing. Keeping them out of situations where their weakness doesn’t help or exposes us. You only know what a player can and cant do if you are at practice. And we aren’t.

Some had problems with their game of one sort or another in the scheme they were in. Our coaches think those folks can be tidied up and hopefully the kids grow up and that happens.

Theres probably a few playing who are dead weight but we have exigencies. There’s probably a few who need a year in the program before they decide whether the coaches will eventually conclude they are dead weight. Let’s wait a few years before we decide if this class was a success.

What we don’t have is some guy who just had shoulder surgery and has never played the game. Or a large number of dudes who don’t even show up. Recruiting nonsense like that from our past. The current staff, with the budget they have, has done yeomans work in the portal this year, so far as we have seen. Now they just need to do the same for the next five years.

There’s a couple of guys who have “contributed immediately” who are really in the category of “needs a couple of years.”

It’s a mixed bag. It’s going to be fine. Not every transfer is here because they are a great player and it was a numbers game elsewhere. A plug and play transfer is a unicorn even at programs that don’t run our unique schemes. Even when they excel we are typically only seeing what they can do in a situation, not what they can’t. That’s coaching right? Creating a winning situation then the player executing. Keeping them out of situations where their weakness doesn’t help or exposes us. You only know what a player can and cant do if you are at practice. And we aren’t.

Some had problems with their game of one sort or another in the scheme they were in. Our coaches think those folks can be tidied up and hopefully the kids grow up and that happens.

Theres probably a few playing who are dead weight but we have exigencies. There’s probably a few who need a year in the program before they decide whether the coaches will eventually conclude they are dead weight. Let’s wait a few years before we decide if this class was a success.

What we don’t have is some guy who just had shoulder surgery and has never played the game. Or a large number of dudes who don’t even show up. Recruiting nonsense like that from our past. The current staff, with the budget they have, has done yeomans work in the portal this year, so far as we have seen. Now they just need to do the same for the next five years.
Regardless of how/why/what(situation) they contribute 10/14 is better than most freshman classes. I'm not talking about all star contributions across the board. Just a baseline contribution at minimum from 10/14 is good.

We we're trying to fill holes. Gary par example, has filled a hole, before injury. Marks has filled that hole partly cuz of injury, partly cuz he's earned it. Marks might not be an all star, but that wasn't the general purpose of recruiting transfers. Yes you want an all star, but the purpose stays the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
A little bit of a diversion from the purpose of this topic, but I couldn't find anything in the nearly two pages of recent posts, and I got tired of looking for a more appropriate topic.

So minor diversion it is.

I wonder if we have permanently lost Watkins and Bray? They are both good players and it is sad to lose the both of them. But Bray is the more important need we have right now. Could've been a very beneficial thing for him to have been available for the Cincy game and beyond.

Reactions: TU_BLA
A little bit of a diversion from the purpose of this topic, but I couldn't find anything in the nearly two pages of recent posts, and I got tired of looking for a more appropriate topic. So minor diversion it is. I wonder if we have permanently lost Watkins and Bray? They are both good players and it is sad to lose the both of them. But Bray is the more important need we have right now. Could've been a very beneficial thing for him to have been available for the Cincy game and beyond.
Neither is listed on the team sheet for Navy.

Does Wadkins have eligibility in 23 if he doesn’t play this year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT