ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I'm all for these guys that are going to be graduate transfers. The perspective that can be gained from doing your masters program under different mentorship can sometimes make a huge difference in personal growth and perspective in a career path that most likely won't include football for most.

So we will be missing a few folks if we are actually invited to a bowl game.

I liked both those guys... They showed up to play every down, rarely committed penalties.

I liked both those guys... They showed up to play every down, rarely committed penalties.
Lamp was actually a disappointment as he never lived up to the hype of being the next Trevis. Goodlow passed him 2 years ago as a FR and held the spot down (remember, initial projections last year had Wick as the starter and Lamp as the backup) and Goodlow just came out of nowhere and now PFF has him as a 1st team AAC player alongside Jaxon.

As for Bivens, he was fine but we have better OL on the team. We really need more guys like Couch with the nasty streak (but they need to understand how to confine that nasty streak to between the snap and the whistle).

We could definitely use a punt returner. Cannon and/or Montgomery’s college teammate’s walk-on son isn’t a legitimate FBS level attempt at winning a game. It’s conceding to failure an important aspect of the contest that has the potential to flip the field or the scoreboard 4 or 5 times a game.

You can dress it up by saying you are limiting mistakes and injuries by fair catching or using sure handed and level headed under talented players, but we know it’s really just an excuse to get his kid or friend’s kid in the game. It’s pure narcissism. It’s a concession that he isn’t trying to push every possible advantage to win. And players expect that. And that mentality partially explains why we are losing close games and some of his players clearly aren’t listening to him at times. And it’s undoubtedly why some of the players have left.

Fun fact: Texas Tech is 6-6 and going through a coaching change while experiencing uncertainty with its conference. Not a single player has entered the portal last time I looked. They didn’t win a lot this year and the nature of the game means they will lose at least 2 or 3 a year. But that’s a winning culture. Especially in today’s game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TULOYAL
We could definitely use a punt returner. Cannon and/or Montgomery’s college teammate’s walk-on son isn’t a legitimate FBS level attempt at winning a game. It’s conceding to failure an important aspect of the contest that has the potential to flip the field or the scoreboard 4 or 5 times a game.

You can dress it up by saying you are limiting mistakes and injuries by fair catching or using sure handed and level headed under talented players, but we know it’s really just an excuse to get his kid or friend’s kid in the game. It’s pure narcissism. It’s a concession that he isn’t trying to push every possible advantage to win. And players expect that. And that mentality partially explains why we are losing close games and some of his players clearly aren’t listening to him at times. And it’s undoubtedly why some of the players have left.

Fun fact: Texas Tech is 6-6 and going through a coaching change while experiencing uncertainty with its conference. Not a single player has entered the portal last time I looked. They didn’t win a lot this year and the nature of the game means they will lose at least 2 or 3 a year. But that’s a winning culture. Especially in today’s game.

Using Benjamin as a punt returner is all you need to know about this coach. He is just not concerned with any criticism or afraid of losing his job. If a coach at ANY big program used personnel like this he would be assaulted at the post-game press conference for it. It would be unsustainable. He couldn't hide. I would love for one of our board statisticians to post TU's punt return averages along with our ranking and then tell me that Montgomery is trying to do something to improve it. He isn't.
Does anyone realize that Anthony Watkins is #1 in the country in yards per carry? Why doesn't he get the ball more? Because PM's favorite RB, who is 148th should be getting most of the carries.

We need a deep threat WR. We currently have route runners but no one to take the cover off the top.
Glad to have you post again. Missed you most of this season. We do need a deep threat even if they're the tall jump ball threat like Key was. I am wondering if we have one guy in the FR/RS FR class who can be that guy....someone like Shoulders, Rogers, or even Malachi Jones.

Using Benjamin as a punt returner is all you need to know about this coach. He is just not concerned with any criticism or afraid of losing his job. If a coach at ANY big program used personnel like this he would be assaulted at the post-game press conference for it. It would be unsustainable. He couldn't hide. I would love for one of our board statisticians to post TU's punt return averages along with our ranking and then tell me that Montgomery is trying to do something to improve it. He isn't.
Does anyone realize that Anthony Watkins is #1 in the country in yards per carry? Why doesn't he get the ball more? Because PM's favorite RB, who is 148th should be getting most of the carries.
100% right on Watkins. He hits the hole harder, he has better field vision than both Shamari and Prince. Shamari got in his own head at some point, 2nd guessing where the hole was or should be and hesitating. Watch the 2 runs late in the 1st half against SMU that Watkins had. He trusted where the hole would be hit it, and then burst. The 2nd run (TD) was especially good because the hole didn't materialize where planned and he saw a seam to his left, cut hard and burst through. He also has some of that breakaway speed that Brooks or Prince lack. I'm all for using all 3 if they're healthy as Brooks is a superior blocker and pass catcher.

It will be interesting to see who is left after the bowl and diplomas are handed out. Everybody who has announced so far has a degree, iirc.

Our holes could be over the 25 man signing limit before it’s over with.

Agreed...how does this occur? What goes through the mind of a legit WR recruit knowing he'll battle a couple of guys that perhaps were not legit high school starters for playing time? Compounded by marginal coaching at the WR position.

Did everyone get an extra covid year or just seniors?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT