ADVERTISEMENT

Tipton

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
I'm giving him a pass on the missed FG. I didn't see the first (non) attempt when Monty iced him and called time out on Saturday but in watching the replay on ESPN, he hit the 39 yarder strong and true and it probably would have been good from about 55 yards. The miss...eh...he hit it strong and straight. He will make the adjustment to flatten out his approach to push the ball right a bit more. His kicks have a different sound to them...they don't spin sideways like UFOs and I haven't seen any kicks doing the snap duck hook think we kept getting last year. We'll be fine. Monty iced his own kicker by not showing any confidence in the kid and he's as much to blame on the miss as the kid is.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I thought the play clock was about to hit zero when Monty called the time out on the FG. Can't remember for sure though.

I dont blame him either. On the miss, it shouldn't of come down to a kick in the first place if monty knew how to manage the play clock and run some goal line offense. Sure, he should of made the kick, but I'm sure he didnt feel too confident when he was pulled from kicking it earlier in the game, after drilling it prior to the timeout. Just looking at the strength he has I feel good with him as the kicker.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU_BLA
It was his first collegiate game, on the road, against a ranked opponent, and a physical rush that would be difficult to contain if they sold out on a block. The kid gets a pass from me. No pass on what put us in those positions or the hold.

He was clearly nervous. Tightened up, so he did not open his hips up. Hooked it which is entirely what happens. He will be fine. That was his first game. This is when having those two early nonconference games canceled came back to bite us.

I would have been fine with going for it on 4th and 2. Why does he not know and burns a timeout?
$1,000,000 question. He never seems ready with play calls in anticipation of down and distance up next. Like, it's 2nd and 8 and we pick up 2 yards on 2nd down for 3rd and 6 (and the fact this is like clockwork with Monty's offense, you'd think he'd have a clue about what to call in that situation)...where he inevitably calls a quick out good for 3 yards because who ever heard of running a route beyond the sticks on 3rd down? And on 4th and 2...you either decide before the 3rd down play you're going for it or you're kicking it depending on the outcome of the 3rd down play....Monty obviously does not have the capability of planning 30 seconds in the future...mostly because he's the head coach and has to worry about too many things...

I'm glad McDonough and Blackledge called out the incompetence during the " we don't have a play ready and must call timeout, and then we're not ready to take the field after the timeout so we get a delay of game...and then we almost burn the entire play clock again and almost have to take another delay of game". They didn't call out Monty specifically but we all know from the tone in their voice that this was a giant cluster****.

In contrast, the Malzahn offense has a package of potential plays that are pre-called based on situations. The QB knows them and simply looks toward the sideline to confirm when necessary or has the green light to snap quickly on plays all 11 know and exploit mismatches or substitution confusion on the defense. The rules changes have frustrated this somewhat. But the reason the offense can snap the ball quickly is because they know what to do in advance of the next three plays. Our offense appears to be an ex Div II QB who never got to play FBS and wants to micro manage living out a fantasy and give his kid advantages and opportunities he never had he feels they both deserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
In contrast, the Malzahn offense has a package of potential plays that are pre-called based on situations. The QB knows them and simply looks toward the sideline to confirm when necessary or has the green light to snap quickly on plays all 11 know and exploit mismatches or substitution confusion on the defense. The rules changes have frustrated this somewhat. But the reason the offense can snap the ball quickly is because they know what to do in advance of the next three plays. Our offense appears to be an ex Div II QB who never got to play FBS and wants to micro manage living out a fantasy.
Did you see how Miami took advantage of those situations against Louisville this weekend? D'Eriq King and Rhett Lashlee seem like a match made in heaven. Miami's offense looked better than they have in a long time. (mention it only because of the Malzahn offense connection).

Can we lure Lashlee away to be the head coach here? Obvious local ties (think he grew up in Springdale). He wouldn't be here long before Arkansas calls

It is with great joy I watch Miami start to win again watching Miami run the exact same package Tulsa ran nearly 15 years ago. You can predict what they are going to do if you watched the 2007 team closely. There’s some disguises but it’s the same base package re-tooled for some King runs/skills. I’m not quite Gundy, predicting the plays two plays in advance, but you can see them line up and guess right 80% of the time.

Lashlee fits the profile of what some boosters want. He will have better offers soon I imagine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT