ADVERTISEMENT

The big question

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
Now that we have had time to celebrate, its time to answer the big question...
If TU wins out , do we give Monty one more year? A win like last night can change things?

I think if we had a field goal kicker this year we would have probably ended up 7-5 and we would be bowling

Not even taking the current contract into consideration, people not associated with TU that watch college football would tell you he deserves another year simply based off our strength of schedule and how well we competed against multiple top 25 teams.

Im not saying I agree or disagree with it, but the eye test shows that outside of Navy, we didnt necessarily get blown out this year with one of the toughest schedules in college football.

On the other side of that coin, you can make the argument that Tulsa had the recipe to be a top 25 team this year with better game management and playcalling.

I think all things taken into consideration, we need to prepare for another year at least.

Not even taking the current contract into consideration, people not associated with TU that watch college football would tell you he deserves another year simply based off our strength of schedule and how well we competed against multiple top 25 teams.

Im not saying I agree or disagree with it, but the eye test shows that outside of Navy, we didnt necessarily get blown out this year with one of the toughest schedules in college football.

On the other side of that coin, you can make the argument that Tulsa had the recipe to be a top 25 team this year with better game management and playcalling.

I think all things taken into consideration, we need to prepare for another year at least.

He is now like 6-24 in games decided by a touchdown or less. This year is no different than any year but 2016. It will end the same way as every year but 2016, a losing season. In 2016 we had 3 losses, two of which can be at least partly attributed to the same in game issues Monty continues to display.

After ECU game his buy outs drop. Maybe winning out gets him to next year (5-7) might be close enough to bowl eligible to get him a respite, but I doubt it.

This win makes us feel good. Essentially though all the variables remain the same concerning the coaching evaluation.

Reactions: TulsaAM
Hate to point out the obvious but Monty’s 4 and 1 call with a minute left was awful. We didn’t block the end defender on a deep handoff. We got bailed out because UCF inexplicably tried to sub with TU at the line of scrimmage.

That said...I’m very happy for the kids. After a long season with the breaks going against us it was nice to see a game where that trend was reversed.

Hate to point out the obvious but Monty’s 4 and 1 call with a minute left was awful. We didn’t block the end defender on a deep handoff. We got bailed out because UCF inexplicably tried to sub with TU at the line of scrimmage.

That said...I’m very happy for the kids. After a long season with the breaks going against us it was nice to see a game where that trend was reversed.
Boomer rushed the snap because he saw 12 men were on the field. And it really doesn’t matter who did or didn’t block who because the play was a success.

Boomer rushed the snap because he saw 12 men were on the field. And it really doesn’t matter who did or didn’t block who because the play was a success.

Agree the play was a success. However, that was the play which was called and the blocking assignment was flawed. I don’t believe that would have changed if UCF had not subbed late. Maybe we call a timeout? Guess we won’t know.

Reactions: 94ChickFan
Agree the play was a success. However, that was the play which was called and the blocking assignment was flawed. I don’t believe that would have changed if UCF had not subbed late. Maybe we call a timeout? Guess we won’t know.
Had it not been snapped fast Boomer could have audibled or the play may have been changed from the sidelines. We'll never know, but it was fitting we sealed the win with a penalty considering our troubles.

Two missed field goals separate TU from being 5-5 right now. I think Montgomery gets next year because the buyout is too much this year.

I want TU to win out because I'm sick of watching us lose. Last night's victory was a big boost.
The biggest asset for this year’s team is character and pride. Besides the Navy game , TU has been competitive in every one of it’s losses. In last night’s game I witnessed some real “nasty” out of the offensive line that pissed off UCF’s defensive linemen ...BooHoo .

We won't know because Boomer, on his own, made that quick snap. The first time this year where our QB has done that while the defense isn't set. It's to the point the defense doesn't even pay attention unless we make a big play because they know we are going to line up, set, and then check the sideline. So I often see them milling around, get settled in and then are ready for the snap.

I would also point out Boomer kept his uniform pretty clean, Taylor picking up some blitz helped but generally the line played better. Sometimes the best thrower isn't your best QB. Understanding the game and a high football IQ are often the biggest advantage you can have. Boomer knew the situation and made the smart play.

We won't know because Boomer, on his own, made that quick snap. The first time this year where our QB has done that while the defense isn't set. It's to the point the defense doesn't even pay attention unless we make a big play because they know we are going to line up, set, and then check the sideline. So I often see them milling around, get settled in and then are ready for the snap.

I would also point out Boomer kept his uniform pretty clean, Taylor picking up some blitz helped but generally the line played better. Sometimes the best thrower isn't your best QB. Understanding the game and a high football IQ are often the biggest advantage you can have. Boomer knew the situation and made the smart play.

we don’t want boomer as our starter I promise. He can’t hold smiths jock.

I’d rather have Boomer or Brin get some time playing if Smith has a serious knee injury.

If anybody wants to replace smith after boomer completed 6 passes they have lost their mind! Smith was well on his way to having another 300 yard game! Our passing offense has doubled and that’s not counting drops, or passes where penalties brought ball back’ im no mathematician but Smith was 15 in country passing with young line, drops and being sacked over 30 times! That’s pretty impressive not to mention about last three games on tv they have talked about NFL arm talent and conference knows it! Somebody has got a screw loose if you want him out after a half of football by back up qb! Last two years we have had nothing passing at all and we finally get it and it don’t good enough! Lol

As many have said, who plays will be dependent on how injured Smith is after last week’s game. He’ll have an extra week to recuperate.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I actually think Brin may be the most talented of all of them. In the Spring he showed he gets rid of it incredibly quick, uses the entire field and is very accurate. I would like to see him being used some in the next two games-even if Zach is ok.

You have lost your mind! Monty job on line do actually think he would start smith if he wasn’t what he was billed to be! Not sure if Brin is better than boomer but can’t tell you there is only one of the QBs on this roster that has NFl arm and size. Brin. May be good player and when smith leaves maybe him and boomer will fight it out but he is no where close to having the arm talent right now.

Anyone who knows football knows the strongest arm doesn't necessarily make the best QB. There is a lot to be said of a kid with a quick Release who is accurate and smart. I would love to see a reporter ask Montgomery which QB:
1. Is smartest
2. Is most accurate
3. has quickest release
4. reads defense best
To me those are the biggest questions I would ask myself as a coach.

Reactions: edm1077 and TUBixby
Sounds like you aren’t to high on current qb and I would guess not to high on coaches that saw kids go through all practices, film and whatever else they do to choose a starting qb! As said before maybe you can get your guy in another year or whenever the starter leaves! Evidentially you assume the starter is non of the things you put out! Lol joke!

Thanks for signing up a week ago, and bustin out of the gate defending the starting qb so strongly. We always welcome new posters, even if they seem to be pretty single-minded.

Well after reading all yalls post I’ve figured why not! My opinion is as good as yalls. If any of the QBs, running backs or coaches are pukes I would agree but this post seems to be about QBs! Go on about coaches, running backs, receivers and I will give my opinion on that as well’ ! Come on with it!

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Easy there TulsaCRAZY. Don't be so sensitive. I never said what the answers would or should be. I would just like to see what the answers are from the staff. I think any reasonable person would like to know those answers.

Did Rabid sign up with a different name?

There is no doubt what the answers would be for :
1. who is the biggest kid
2 who throws it the furthest
Zach is bigger than most of the QBs in college football and has a very strong arm. That doesn't mean all the other QBs in the country are lesser talents does it?

Agreed. Backup did his job and used some mobility to help show something a little different. I think that helped to a degree. I hope Zach is not hurt too bad. Has anyone heard anything?

Boomer should have kept that. He would have picked up 20 yds if he wanted to. And the substitution penalty was completely on the UCF coaches. They changed their mind last second and sent out a new player.

Be nice to Pats. TV Land cut King of Queens reruns back to only 5 nights a week so he gets a little testy on the weekends.
I was just thinkin' he might be backing himself up. I know yer not 100% serious, but I ain't mad or nothin'. I just thought he might be trollin. Language & words were even similar.

Now that we have had time to celebrate, its time to answer the big question...
If TU wins out , do we give Monty one more year? A win like last night can change things?

They will for sure give him 1 more year if TU wins out and TU will probably win out with just UH (3-6) and ECU (3-7) left. Tulsa will be favored to win those. The analytics pick Tulsa to win both but of course you never know til the game is played.

Considering the buyout and Tulsa's budget crunch, how could the AD fire a 5-7 coach after he played one of the most difficult schedules in the country?

What they should do is demand offensive changes (bring in an OC and/or maybe different o-line coach... Could Chad Morris consider being an OC again? Unlikely but maybe worth an ask, although some at Clemson didn't like him and obviously was a terrible HC. He did well at TU that one season.). Obviously running the team and offense is too much for Montgomery. He needs to put his pride aside and bring in someone who is a better strategizer/play-caller/QB-coach than him and can be the dedicated head of offense.

Reactions: TULSARISING
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT