ADVERTISEMENT

The big question

There were only 3 seconds left on the play clock when the ball was snapped. Wasn’t a much of a quick snap. Looked to me like Boomer was trying the draw them off sides, saw UFC had extra guys on the field and yelled for the ball. Otherwise he probably would taken it down another second or two. Major screw up by UFC for not being ready with so little time on the play clock.

There were only 3 seconds left on the play clock when the ball was snapped. Wasn’t a much of a quick snap. Looked to me like Boomer was trying the draw them off sides, saw UFC had extra guys on the field and yelled for the ball. Otherwise he probably would taken it down another second or two. Major screw up by UFC for not being ready with so little time on the play clock.
There was more than that left on the play clock. It was straight out of a time-out and I thought we would try to draw them offside at first but Boomer never even faked the clap or anything. We had just gotten initially set out of the TO. My guess is there were somewhere between 15-20 seconds on the play clock (it would have started at 25). Had the play clock gotten below 5 I would have been yelling for us to call a time-out or snap the ball...and I was doing neither until UCF ran the guy on.

Anyone have the video from it?

There was more than that left on the play clock. It was straight out of a time-out and I thought we would try to draw them offside at first but Boomer never even faked the clap or anything. We had just gotten initially set out of the TO. My guess is there were somewhere between 15-20 seconds on the play clock (it would have started at 25). Had the play clock gotten below 5 I would have been yelling for us to call a time-out or snap the ball...and I was doing neither until UCF ran the guy on.

Anyone have the video from it?
No. I have the replay on psvue. Monte didn’t send the offense out onto the field until there were about 12 seconds left. The offense didn’t get set until 5 seconds.

TU ran down the play clock to ~12 seconds before sending the offense onto the field to inhibit UFC's ability to adequately substitute. Give them credit, it worked.

Reactions: HuffyCane
TU ran down the play clock to ~12 seconds before sending the offense onto the field to inhibit UFC's ability to adequately substitute. Give them credit, it worked.
I'll admit I don't recall it that way at the game. Thanks for the video. I am betting Monty was getting ready to call time out to see what UCF came out in. Boomer seemed to have gone on his own to catch UCF napping.

Again, if Boomer is reading the play correctly, he keeps it and goes to his right and pretty much could have walked into the end zone. UCF completely sold out on stopping Wilkerson. I think all 11 UCF players were withing 3 yards of Wilkerson when he got tackled.

I'll admit I don't recall it that way at the game. Thanks for the video. I am betting Monty was getting ready to call time out to see what UCF came out in. Boomer seemed to have gone on his own to catch UCF napping.

Again, if Boomer is reading the play correctly, he keeps it and goes to his right and pretty much could have walked into the end zone. UCF completely sold out on stopping Wilkerson. I think all 11 UCF players were withing 3 yards of Wilkerson when he got tackled.
I really don't think the ball was going to be snapped unless Boomer saw something. I believe TU was either going to call TO or take a delay of game, then punt.

I really don't think the ball was going to be snapped unless Boomer saw something. I believe TU was either going to call TO or take a delay of game, then punt.
Well, I am leaning towards the timeout. If you're going to try and draw them offside, you got to get out there sooner than 10 seconds left on the play clock. And if Monty takes the delay of game and punts, I would have booed until security kicked me out of the stadium. I've been harping all season about going and trying to win the game vs not losing it. At that position on the field, the right call is to go for it. You're 2-7...there's not sense in playing it safe or by the book at that point. Playing by the book is what lost us the games vs SMU and Memphis.

Reactions: 4tu2
Well, I am leaning towards the timeout. If you're going to try and draw them offside, you got to get out there sooner than 10 seconds left on the play clock. And if Monty takes the delay of game and punts, I would have booed until security kicked me out of the stadium. I've been harping all season about going and trying to win the game vs not losing it. At that position on the field, the right call is to go for it. You're 2-7...there's not sense in playing it safe or by the book at that point. Playing by the book is what lost us the games vs SMU and Memphis.
Yeah, I agree that going for it would have been the right decision. But the with the way the defense had been playing, I think we pretty much had the game won at that point either way. I’m only slightly less confident if we would have turned the ball over on downs.
But Monty’s decision to keep the offense on the sideline for so long got UCF all discombobulated and made all that a moot point.

Yeah, I agree that going for it would have been the right decision. But the with the way the defense had been playing, I think we pretty much had the game won at that point either way. I’m only slightly less confident if we would have turned the ball over on downs.
But Monty’s decision to keep the offense on the sideline for so long got UCF all discombobulated and made all that a moot point.
Again, I guess I didn't realize we waited so long to run the O onto the field after the timeout. What the clip above doesn't show you is the UCF coach literally pushing the extra DE/LB onto the field in place of a DB. You see him running into the screen and the other player trying to get off. Like I said, I saw it clearly that he barely reached the top of the numbers when the ball was snapped. It looked like we had 3 TEs in the game which I would be willing to be is something we haven't done all season.

Last night was a reminder of the garbage that Monty has put on the field since 2016. That said, he most likely stays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT