ADVERTISEMENT

SMU or Cincy

TU Hurricane Warning

I.T.S. Senior
Aug 23, 2013
Ok, thought I'd post a fun fodder post to debate.

Which of the two, SMU or Cincy is a bigger win for Tulsa?

Yes, SMU is rated higher, viewed as preseason 1 or 2 in conference and from a huge market but it is in the South.

Cincy is in a major market as well viewed as midwest/eastern media, but is viewed as down this year.

This post was edited on 1/26 1:33 PM by TU Hurricane Warning

Originally posted by TU Hurricane Warning:
Ok, thought I'd post a fun fodder post to debate.

Which of the two, SMU or Cincy is a bigger win for Tulsa?

Yes, SMU is rated higher, viewed as preseason 1 or 2 in conference and from a huge market but it is in the South.

Cincy is in a major market as well viewed as midwest/eastern media, but is viewed as down this year.

This post was edited on 1/26 1:33 PM by TU Hurricane Warning
SMU is a bigger win for us right now because they are only 1 game behind us in the loss column. Cincy has 2 losses...

BTW, Cincinnati is actually smaller than Tulsa with regards to population (Tulsa almost 400k, Cincinnati almost 300k).

When considering market it is based on metro and not city population. Cincy metro is almost 3 million, Tulsa metro isn't quite 1 million.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That's certainly one way to look at it, league standings. What about from a publicity/exposure stand point?

From recruiting I think SMU would help regionally, but Cincy would help more in midwest/east.

This post was edited on 1/26 11:48 AM by TU Hurricane Warning

I'll not be too greedy and take a split with SMU and win vs Cinci.

I'd be so happy to ruin some UC posters' day/week/month.

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
When considering market it is based on metro and not city population. Cincy metro is almost 3 million, Tulsa metro isn't quite 1 million.
Cincinnati is in OH only because its on the north side of the river. In reality it is more northern Kentucky than anything. What else is really around Cincinnati where they pull in that much market? Heck, from what it looks like they're defining that market as, you might was well call the Tulsa market the Tulsa/OKC/Joplin/Fayetteville

To be fair, I grew up in Cincinnati. Cincinnati has HUGE suburbs including Hamilton, Dayton (kinda far off but still take on the Cincy market in sports), Middletown, and Fairfield all in Ohio. Covington and Florence are decent but in Kentucky. However, Cincy does mainly pull from Ohio not Kentucky.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
I'll not be too greedy and take a split with SMU and win vs Cinci.

I'd be so happy to ruin some UC posters' day/week/month.
I would like to take two of the three with them. Maybe that is greedy but I believe in this group.

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
Cincy is a two million market not three million. If you add in Dayton then it would be three million. Tulsa's CSA is 1.1 million.

GO TU!!!!.

The SMU game on Feb 7th is more important because as stated above, SMU 1/2 game behind TU, and SMU has the higher RPI rating. By the time TU plahys their last 2 games, vs CIN and at SMU, the CIN game may be more important. BTW, CIN plays at SMU next week, 2 days before SMU plays Tulsa.

TX
This post was edited on 1/26 5:22 PM by texcane1982

That's a brutal week for SMU. Then againnus finishing with Cincy at home and then SMU on the road is a pretty brutal week for us

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT