ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduled Losses

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
UNLV just had the fortune to play Vandy at home. They got a win over the SEC in regulation. Wyoming beat Texas Tech at home a week ago. Would be nice if we could start constructing winnable schedules with some parity.

Looking at Wyoming's future schedule.... I believe they have 1-1 series with Cal, Utah, Arizona, Mizzou, Texas Tech, and BYU. We should be pursuing something relatively similar.

Last edited:
It seems every time we schedule OU and OSU it is when they decide to become a powerhouse again and we decide to see how many injuries we can have. Then the years we don't play them they are struggling to field a defense or even a halfway decent team..

It seems every time we schedule OU and OSU it is when they decide to become a powerhouse again and we decide to see how many injuries we can have. Then the years we don't play them they are struggling to field a defense or even a halfway decent team..
I'd love to play OSU this year. What a ****ing train wreck they are on offense. Maybe Gundy should have recruited an actual QB instead of going all in on his kid

Reactions: TUcandoit
UNLV just had the fortune to play Vandy at home. They got a win over the SEC in regulation. Wyoming beat Texas Tech at home a week ago. Would be nice if we could start constructing winnable schedules with some parity.

Looking at Wyoming's future schedule.... I believe they have 1-1 series with Cal, Utah, Arizona, Mizzou, Texas Tech, and BYU. We should be pursuing something relatively similar.
Agree 100%. I want to start scheduling WINNABLE P5 games, and not just top 12 teams.

Agree 100%. I want to start scheduling WINNABLE P5 games, and not just top 12 teams.
We need to get away from the body bag road games at places like Washington and Ohio State. I understand those paydays pretty much fund the Olympic sports for the year but we need to be winning games or at least play games we have a chance of winning. I wouldn't mind trying to schedule Duke, Wake, Vandy, and Northwestern for some home and homes.

Hopefully we never get away from scheduling OU, OSU, and Arkansas. Those are good games for the fans (even if they are not the more winnable non-conference games we schedule). But the others...lets do more to get P5 games against winnable opponents.

Reactions: drboobay
I would be ok with any of the connecting states even if they are not winnable just because of recruitment, players (want to play in front of mom, dad, friends), and fans reasons:

Colorado
Texas
Kansas
Arkansas
Missouri
Oklahoma

Outisde of those states I would rather have middling P5 schools instead of the top of the echelon.

We need to get away from the body bag road games at places like Washington and Ohio State. I understand those paydays pretty much fund the Olympic sports for the year but we need to be winning games or at least play games we have a chance of winning. I wouldn't mind trying to schedule Duke, Wake, Vandy, and Northwestern for some home and homes.

Hopefully we never get away from scheduling OU, OSU, and Arkansas. Those are good games for the fans (even if they are not the more winnable non-conference games we schedule). But the others...lets do more to get P5 games against winnable opponents.
We don’t have any of those bodybag games on the future schedules. We’ve got the 4:4 with OSU, the 2:1 with Arkansas and we owe OU two games down there.

The problem now is that we have very few openings for the next several years as we have been scheduling CUSA and MAC teams to home/home contracts. The most recent contract with Sam Houston was unexpected.

Yeah we have four years that is all but scheduled.(1 open at home '25) No p5's except Arkansas, OU, OSU on our schedule at all. One opening road game in '28 is our first opening for a p5 unless they will do a 1-1 home game in '25 and road game in '28. '30-33 is when we still have several unscheduled games. But we're pretty booked for the next 6 years.

I'd love it if we could book a 1-1 with a lower level P5 in '25 & '28 but it's getting kind of late to find a p5 with a road game open in '25, especially one who would even consider booking us. We could do a 2-1 and schedule them in '30-33 but that still doesn't make it any easier to find one with an opening in '25.

We have a decent shot at beating OSU for a few games. They are on our schedule every year for the next 8 years. Then they won't want to schedule us after they take a few losses.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Yeah we have four years that is all but scheduled.(1 open at home '25) No p5's except Arkansas, OU, OSU on our schedule at all. One opening road game in '28 is our first opening for a p5 unless they will do a 1-1 home game in '25 and road game in '28. '30-33 is when we still have several unscheduled games. But we're pretty booked for the next 6 years.

I'd love it if we could book a 1-1 with a lower level P5 in '25 & '28 but it's getting kind of late to find a p5 with a road game open in '25, especially one who would even consider booking us. We could do a 2-1 and schedule them in '30-33 but that still doesn't make it any easier to find one with an opening in '25.

We have a decent shot at beating OSU for a few games. They are on our schedule every year for the next 8 years. Then they won't want to schedule us after they take a few losses.
We should absolutely beat them in Tulsa next season. We are seeing our weaknesses play out and I except this staff to aggressively fill holes this offseason.

There's no time like the present to make a course correction in strategy. The reason we're seeing other teams beating lower level P5's is because they made that course correction in 2014-2016. Right around the time Gragg came on board lol.

We should look at Iowa State. They suck something fierce right now

SMU fans weren’t complaining about scheduled losses after they played OU. Weird
Probably because they have a 1-1 with OU. Just looked at Tulane's future schedule. They don't have a single 2-1 scheduled. But they do have home and home's with Kansas State, Duke, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Mississippi State.

The Oklahoma State series was definitely a boon for Tulsa, but the continuing little brother treatment by OU and Arkansas is simply detrimental. It won't change until we change it. I think OU and Arkansas do it purposefully to sequester Tulsa's market.

The 2 for 1's suck, but what really sucks are the 0-1's. Going to play Ohio State, Ole Miss, and Washington with no return games blows. (Not that I expect Ohio State to visit Tulsa). They are really the scheduled losses we should be angry about. I understand that they might have been in relation to the University's financial woes.... but let's never do that crap again.

Last edited:
Doubtful. It's part of two return games that we will owe them in upcoming seasons.
Back of the envelope calculations yield that the 14-16K additional ticket sales at $70-80 per equates to 1 to 1.3 million more revenue dollars than a normal game. If I understand the economics than we get 1 to 1.5 million plus for each time traveling to Norman? That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Please note I'm not certain this how the deal was designed.

GO TU!!!!

Reactions: Tuloma
Probably because they have a 1-1 with OU. Just looked at Tulane's future schedule. They don't have a single 2-1 scheduled. But they do have home and home's with Kansas State, Duke, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Mississippi State.

The Oklahoma State series was definitely a boon for Tulsa, but the continuing little brother treatment by OU and Arkansas is simply detrimental. It won't change until we change it. I think OU and Arkansas do it purposefully to sequester Tulsa's market.

The 2 for 1's suck, but what really sucks are the 0-1's. Going to play Ohio State, Ole Miss, and Washington with no return games blows. (Not that I expect Ohio State to visit Tulsa). They are really the scheduled losses we should be angry about.
Yeah just demand it, and they will comply. :rolleyes: They do it because we want it worse than they do. They just wouldn't schedule us.

Reactions: dougheffking
Yeah just demand it, and they will comply. :rolleyes: They do it because we want it worse than they do. They just wouldn't schedule us.
Then don't schedule them. We can fill the stadium with other teams.... and if we can beat some of those other teams we might actually get better overall attendance for the lackluster conference slate.

You don't see A&M on SMU's calendar or LSU on Tulane's and this is probably why.

Well I thought the point was fairly obvious. You don’t complain about “scheduled losses” after playing the 19th ranked team in the country at home if you field a decent team for the game
Yea, my guess is they are going to end up ranked a hell of a lot higher than 19th. I see MAYBE 1 loss on their schedule.

Reactions: quincy101
Then don't schedule them. We can fill the stadium with other teams.... and if we can beat some of those other teams we might actually get better overall attendance for the lackluster conference slate.

You don't see A&M on SMU's calendar or LSU on Tulane's.
Neither of those school's have our financial needs for the football program like we do either. We need every dollar we can bring in. We can't fill our stadium with other games. We'd likely have somebody like Wyoming replacing them. You can't just wave your magic wand, and it changes.

Last edited:

Wyoming’s schedule shows that TU could be scheduling much better non-conference games. Wyoming is not a fertile recruiting area, isn’t easy to travel to & sits at over 7,000 foot elevation.

Tulsa should be a much easier sell to regional P5 programs. Other than the OSU series, most likely underwritten by Kaiser (BOK), our future non-conference schedule is very poor. I think someone (Monty?) didn’t anticipate further conference reshuffling would have us end up in a weaker AAC and lined up a very weak non conference schedule.

Reactions: Tu Geo
Wyoming’s schedule shows that TU could be scheduling much better non-conference games. Wyoming is not a fertile recruiting area, isn’t easy to travel to & sits at over 7,000 foot elevation.

Tulsa should be a much easier sell to regional P5 programs. Other than the OSU series, most likely underwritten by Kaiser (BOK), our future non-conference schedule is very poor. I think someone (Monty?) didn’t anticipate further conference reshuffling would have us end up in a weaker AAC and lined up a very weak non conference schedule.
We need to try to get out of some of these craptastic games in the future for better opponents. No reason why that can't happen.

Back of the envelope calculations yield that the 14-16K additional ticket sales at $70-80 per equates to 1 to 1.3 million more revenue dollars than a normal game. If I understand the economics than we get 1 to 1.5 million plus for each time traveling to Norman? That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Please note I'm not certain this how the deal was designed.

GO TU!!!!

Actually, TU makes more than that for an OU or OSU home game. There a lot of $10 tickets etc., for most TU home games. There are none of those for an OU or OSU game..

The visiting team usually gets about $300,000 or more for travel expenses. The home team usually keeps all of the gate receipts. So TU keeps all, but the travel expenses when they play OU here, then gets $300,000 or more when they play in Norman .

Reactions: Tu Geo
Actually, TU makes more than that for an OU or OSU home game. There a lot of $10 tickets etc., for most TU home games. There are none of those for an OU or OSU game..
That’s not necessarily correct. I you have family fun zone tickets, those go for $12 for adults and $6 for kids per game including OU.

That’s not necessarily correct. I you have family fun zone tickets, those go for $12 for adults and $6 for kids per game including OU.
I do not believe family fun zone tickets were available for the OU game. . I paid $95 each for two seats in the family fun zone for the OU game

Reactions: HuffyCane
I do not believe family fun zone tickets were available for the OU game. . I paid $95 each for two seats in the family fun zone for the OU game
The family fun zone is a season ticket package in section 114 on the west side. Season tickets were $75 for adults and $25 for kids this year. For a family of three, that comes out to about $30 per game including the OU game.

Those did have to be purchased well in advance this year to lock in that price.

Reactions: el duran
what really sucks are the 0-1's. Going to play Ohio State, Ole Miss, and Washington with no return games blows. (Not that I expect Ohio State to visit Tulsa). They are really the scheduled losses we should be angry about. I understand that they might have been in relation to the University's financial woes.... but let's never do that crap again.
This would have meant no Notre Dame game.

We are still a university that has a strapped football program despite being out of the straight jacket of general finance. One time home games for a but load of money won't end. They just might become a little less frequent. Especially with Arkansas joining up with OU in our scheduling. That's probably why we don't have any more Washington/Ohio St games at least until 2028 or '30-xx'

Cool. I would have taken a home win vs a team that would have drawn fans. Please note that the week after the Notre Dame victory the attendance was 19K vs Rice and 16K two weeks later against UTEP.

Last edited:
I had family fun zone tickets for the game.

This would have meant no Notre Dame game.
That game was a favor from Jack Swarbrick to Bubba Cunningham. And any school that has a chance to go to Notre Dame and play a single game, should. Just as all fans should make that trip one time. Despite what anyone might want to profess, Notre Dame is still carries the weight of being the most known college football brand in history. You take the game if given the chance to become part of that history.

Just so happens...we won that piece of history and that day was GLORIOUS!!!!

But weren't the OU tickets only sold as part of the season ticket package or one of the multipacks?
OU tickets were sold exclusively in season ticket packages, including family fun zone, and mini-packs through September 4.

All remaining tickets went on sale that day and sold out before the end of the day.

About 4 months ago I got an e-mail from TU tix office to sign up for season tickets at the normal price for south end-zone seats.....$75. for 6 home games incl. OU. The printed price on the OU & the 5 others was $12.50. Unfortunately, the south zone was 90% red. Ugh! But at least those suckers paid full freight.

Reactions: TU_BLA and el duran
Ok we will revise the math on the OU game. If Tulsa sold 14 K of season tickets and the three game package series, then they essentially sold 17 K OU one game tickets at $95 bucks a piece. (I'm assuming that all tickets end zone or anywhere else were $95). That's an additional $1.615 million in ticket revenue for this game. Not sure what additional revenue would be generated from concessions. If you subtract the $300,000 for OU to come over than Tulsa made at least $1.3 million extra to play OU.

I understand that OSU paid South Alabama $300K to play in Stillwater. Stanford paid Sacramento State $600K to play in Palo Alto.

If its correct that Tulsa receives $300K to play in Norman twice I'm assuming that travel cost to Norman are far less than that number. Maybe $50K in expenditures to play in Norman.

Total revenue for the season tickets and suites will assume is $3.5 million divided by six home games yields $583,000 per game.

Tulsa's total revenue with OU through the series would be as follows:

$1.615 Million + $583 K (Single game revenue) = $2.198 Million - $300K (OU Payment) = $1.890 Million

$600K - $100K = $500K (Two road game to Norman less $100K travel expenses).

$1.890 Million + $500K = $2.390 Million divided by three games $796K per game.

If this anywhere close to correct is that a good financial deal for Tulsa?

GO TU!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT