ADVERTISEMENT

RPI / Top 25 thread: WEEK of 2/2

texcane1982

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2004
TU has moved up to #33 in the AP poll, yet Kelly Hines does not think they belong in the top 25. Dickie V. has TU #21 in his poll.

This post was edited on 2/2 12:36 PM by texcane1982

AP Top 25 (2/2)

Our other voters were Elton Alexander from Cleveland and Randy Rosetta from New Orleans.

Dickie V. - voted TU #21

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/dick-vitale/2014/week-13

Randy Rosetta - voted TU #24

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/randy-rosetta/2014/week-13

Elton Alexander - voted TU #25

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/elton-alexander/2014/week-13

and of course TU's very own beat writer does not rank the Golden Hurricane.

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/kelly-hines/2014/week-13
This post was edited on 2/2 12:40 PM by texcane1982

Originally posted by Barlass:
Our other voters were Elton Alexander from Cleveland and Randy Rosetta from New Orleans.
Mr. Rosetta is kinda going overboard with his AAC love, he ranks SMU #13.

TX

I do not think we are a top 25 team right now, FWIW. I love the votes, but our team although still winning, seems a little distracted or tired. I say that because the focus on the offensive side ala FTs, outside shots, lack of creating good space against the zone to drive, not locking down especially against the three at the end of shot clocks or letting a tiny guard drive and shoot over you in the paint, things like that. Needs to be corrected in order to beat top teams in conference and be a legit top 25 caliber team. IMO

Originally posted by TU Hurricane Warning:
I do not think we are a top 25 team right now, FWIW. I love the votes, but our team although still winning, seems a little distracted or tired. I say that because the focus on the offensive side ala FTs, outside shots, lack of creating good space against the zone to drive, not locking down especially against the three at the end of shot clocks or letting a tiny guard drive and shoot over you in the paint, things like that. Needs to be corrected in order to beat top teams in conference and be a legit top 25 caliber team. IMO
I don't think we belong either but like the votes.
We have yet to have a letdown game in conference (which is a huge rarity) and have won the big conference games.

We win out this week and I'll feel a spot in the top 25 is deserved and legit.

This post was edited on 2/2 1:02 PM by Weatherdemon

Originally posted by Weatherdemon:

Originally posted by TU Hurricane Warning:
I don't think we belong either but like the votes.
We have yet to have a letdown game in conference (which is a huge rarity) and have won the big conference games.

We win out this week and I'll feel a spot in the top 25 is deserved and legit.

This post was edited on 2/2 1:02 PM by Weatherdemon
Certainly can't argue that wins over Houston and SMU (Top 25 win) are certainly the tipping point for TU getting ranked.

Ironically, Kelly does not rank SMU either, yet she still thinks Texas (RPI 30), Ohio State (RPI 33), and Seton Hall (RPI 36) are all 3 more deserving than SMU (RPI 22).
rolleyes.r191677.gif

TX

This post was edited on 2/3 10:19 AM by texcane1982

I can wait another week - let SMU have the target this week. And, not knocking Kelly because I wouldn't have TU in the top 25 yet, although the consistency and streak are strong arguments to be close. My guess is a sweep next week and TU will be everyone's top 25.

She said at some point last week she'll prob have the SMU/TU winner in her top 25.

Originally posted by mcane:

I can wait another week - let SMU have the target this week. And, not knocking Kelly because I wouldn't have TU in the top 25 yet, although the consistency and streak are strong arguments to be close. My guess is a sweep next week and TU will be everyone's top 25.
Personally, I will be pulling for SMU to beat Cincy. Another Cincy loss effectively makes the AAC a 2 team race, and a win over an SMU who just beat Cincy will have more weight in the RPI and voting polls.

IMO Cincy is the 3rd best team in the conference, I believe both Temple and Memphis will have a 4th loss before they even face TU again.

TX

Originally posted by texcane1982:

Personally, I will be pulling for SMU to beat Cincy. Another Cincy loss effectively makes the AAC a 2 team race, and a win over an SMU who just beat Cincy will have more weight in the RPI and voting polls.

IMO Cincy is the 3rd best team in the conference, I believe both Temple and Memphis will have a 4th loss before they even face TU again.

TX
My point exactly... We want this conference to be a two team race with lots of space before third. (And WE need to be one of those top 2.)

Not being ranked is not a bad thing. Can be used as an added motivational tool for the guys...as if being undefeated and alone in first place is not motivation enough. Playing with a chip on their shoulder is a good thing too.

That being said, I believe there are only 2 teams in the country with longer win streaks than ours...Kentucky & Gonzaga.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
She said at some point last week she'll prob have the SMU/TU winner in her top 25.
Too late SMU is already in the Top 25.

GO TU!!!!

I really don't have a problem with her vote, but switch our name with UCONN and the same schedule, my guess is she is rating UCONN in the top 25. Same for Cincy and maybe Temple.

GO TU!!!!

Off the top of my head Murray St and Stephen F Austin both have longer winning streaks than TU. I would suspect there's one or two others too.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Tu Geo:

GO TU!!!!
No she said she'd put the winner on HER ballot.

GO TU!!!!
Well that's kind of silly. I think SMU has done enough and should be on it now. What difference does it makes for them to beat Tulsa? They've had a fine season as it stands. TU is still working on burying bad losses.

Originally posted by youngblood223:

GO TU!!!!
Well that's kind of silly. I think SMU has done enough and should be on it now. What difference does it makes for them to beat Tulsa? They've had a fine season as it stands. TU is still working on burying bad losses.
We probably deserve a little of this disrespect. Seven years of foot-stomping didn't help. I would hope the local media would look at the AAC a little different and look at Coach Haith as someone that doesn't subscribe to the old ways of our mediocre past.

GO TU!!!

Play the next game, play hard, win and let the chips fall where they may. Rankings are such BS now, just keep taking care of business game by game. You can't do anything about the past.

I'll take the NIT because this team could win it, I'll take the NCAA because this team could win a few games and make some people sweat.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Not being ranked is not a bad thing. Can be used as an added motivational tool for the guys...as if being undefeated and alone in first place is not motivation enough. Playing with a chip on their shoulder is a good thing too.

That being said, I believe there are only 2 teams in the country with longer win streaks than ours...Kentucky & Gonzaga.
In the USF pre-game presser, Haith said on numerous occasions, he has used the loss to SEOSU as motivation. I believe he said it is part of every speech.

TX

TX, I can see that too. Things like that happen when you lose focus and you assume you will win based on the perceived talent instead of working and playing hard.

Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
Off the top of my head Murray St and Stephen F Austin both have longer winning streaks than TU.
Steve Prohm!

I think everyone's burying the lede here. We'll be pick'em against a top 25 team on Saturday. Raises the stakes on what was already a huge game. I would love to get that monkey off our back.

Originally posted by ctt8410:
Originally posted by cmullinsTU:
Off the top of my head Murray St and Stephen F Austin both have longer winning streaks than TU.
Steve Prohm!

I think everyone's burying the lede here. We'll be pick'em against a top 25 team on Saturday. Raises the stakes on what was already a huge game. I would love to get that monkey off our back.
+1000

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
TX, I can see that too. Things like that happen when you lose focus and you assume you will win based on the perceived talent instead of working and playing hard.

When I tell my none TU friends the Cane have lost to 4 Oklahoma schools this year everyone of them pause, scratch their head and ask, "how so, aren't there only 3 other schools in Oklahoma?" Then we both start laughing when I tell them SEOSU is the 4th.

I can swallow the SEOSU loss if TU wins the AAC regular season and go dancing, cause the loss appears to have impacted the season beyond expectation. Another key according to Coach Haith was having the players stay for X-mas break, allowing for practice without the distraction of school. I hope going forward Coach Haith refuses or avoids scheduling games during the week of finals. Play the saturday before and the saturday after, nothing in between.

frown.r191677.gif

TX
This post was edited on 2/2 9:20 PM by texcane1982

finishing the above thought................ and play all DII games in pre-season! If you need another home game, plug in a contest any week but finals week.

Here is today's Live-RPI for the AAC (2/3):

21 SMU
33 Cincinnati
41 Tulsa
44 Temple
76 Memphis
101 UCONN
175 Tulane
209 Central Florida
226 South Florida
243 Houston
247 East Carolina

TU's D1 losses:

12 Wichita State
22 Oklahoma
43 Oklahoma State
176 Oral Roberts

TU can receive a boost from: Oklahoma and Incarnate Word

22 Oklahoma vs 20 West Virginia (7:00 PM, ESPN2)
133 Incarnate Word at 278 Texas A&M-CC (7:00 PM)

TX

This post was edited on 2/3 3:23 PM by texcane1982

Let this all shakeout............I believe the AAC will have to prove it's worth in post season play........NCAA, NIT, CBI.

Our league isn't great but it's better than where we're projected right now.

I don't care what league a team is in.................if your undefeated halfway through conference play, you're doing things right.

It may help the ACC bubble teams that SMU was one of the first 4 out and got to the NIT finals. And, of course, UConn finished 3rd (?) last year and won it all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT