Central Arkansas
UTSA
Prairie View
Manhattan
ECU
Tulane
USF
Appalachian State (?)

Do that and you're in good shape for an at-large bid.

I admittedly don't follow Tulsa basketball anymore, but does this team realistically have a shot at anything over .500? A tourney bid seems far fetched. Sorry to be the downer, but I see a lot of wishful thinking in this thread.

I admittedly don't follow Tulsa basketball anymore, but does this team realistically have a shot at anything over .500? A tourney bid seems far fetched. Sorry to be the downer, but I see a lot of wishful thinking in this thread.
It really depends on how much the new guys contribute (Joiner, Scott, Jeffries) and how much Taplin and Igbanu develop If Taplin and Igbanu can give us some more offense with less fouls, and the newcomers contribute how they look like they might the we have an opportunity to win some "big" games. This should be a pretty different team than last year as far as offense goes.

So don't make stupid comments if you don't follow the team or program.

Thanks.

They could be anywhere from the same record as last year based on a lot of the things aston mentioned, or they could be 22-8 based on the same issues. So yes would be the answer to your question. I believe it would be equivalent to SMU getting there with seven guys last year. Tough but certainly not impossible.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Thanks for your question. Its good to see someone take an interest in the team early in the year after so many years of frustration. I lack the knowledge to provide a detailed and concise response on the abilities of the returning players, so I will lazily attack you personally in hopes that I impress other posters on here. I hope you follow the team throughout the season so you can read the comments here I make to myself since I have no credibility. GO TU!
Fixed it for you ...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: TULSARISING
Fixed it for you ...

Let's see...what would have been a better way to form your question?

1) I THINK TU SUCKS BUT I DON'T FOLLOW THE PROGRAM

2) Hey guys, I don't follow as close as I used to, how about someone gives me some reason and insight on how to be excited?

You chose 1.

Now, I'm looking forward to aston sending some super neato gifs and memes or whatever BC he himself is uncreative.

Or you could give Huffy the benefit of the doubt considering he is some of the only few decent posters who are still here.

Reactions: astonmartin708

On paper, the team will be vastly improved than last season.

Curran Scott, who sat out last year due to transfer, will be available and is very skilled offensively.

Jeffries, who transferred from community college and began at ORU, is a very talented SF that can play/defend the 2-4 spots. He can slash and shoot, and has the body to be a top defender in the conference (6'5 with 7'1 wing span).

Elijah Joiner (referred to as Eli) is a true freshman that many expect to get considerable play time as the backup PG.

Will they finish over .500, definitely. Will they get a tourney bid? I think this is a bubble team. Which side of the bubble do they end up on? As aston pointed out, it will depend on how the newcomers play. They should add more value to the team than the pieces lost. My biggest concern, as of today, is front court depth due to Magnay deciding to go pro in Australia.

My biggest concern, as of today, is front court depth due to Magnay deciding to go pro in Australia.
That's one of my biggest concerns about having the same record as last year. That's large part of why I compared it to SMU.

There is no chance we will finish with the same record as last year just from losing Magnay. Just won't happen.

The league is better, and falling apart because of foul trouble, like when we were operating with only a few big men with Manning is a worst case scenario. Having the same record as last year would be more impressive than last year. I don't think it will happen either, but it is possible.

Having the same record as last year, with our new guys and experience coming back would be a fireable offense for Haith.

I didn't see that part, but if we DO finish with the same record as last year..we got MAJOR problems.

My prediction is 19-11, bubble team.(with Magnay would have been 20-21 wins.)

There is no chance we will finish with the same record as last year just from losing Magnay. Just won't happen.
We didn't just lose Magnay. We lost Magnay, Birt, Edogi, Atson, and Battle. We will expect a ton more out of Igbanu, Artison, and Etou as far as defense goes. Edogi actually had a pretty great (efficient) season last year statistically. Wish he was still on the team.

We lost a big group but none of those would have helped this year. Magney would have helped but losing those others make us a better team.

Losing birt won’t hurt anything. Edogi provided a big body and energy, but not much else. Magnay will hurt a little but I don’t know if talk be a huge difference maker.

At this point I think it is up for debate which would profit the team more in the long and short term. Keep Edogi or add Horne.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
Having the same record as last year, with our new guys and experience coming back would be a fireable offense for Haith.
We finish above .500 simply because our OOC schedule is much weaker than last year, IMO. Even some of the potential matchups in the tournament are not the same teams or strength they were last year (Iowa St, So Carolina). While they are still P5s, they are not the quality P5 opportunities we've had the last couple of years. AAC, 9-9 or 10-8 is a really good record because the top 7-8 teams should all be better this year. Our RPI killers will be the couple 300+ in OOC and then the ECU/USF pair in conference.

For an at large, I think we can have no more than 2 OOC losses and a 12-6 conference record and at least 1-1 in conference tourney.

I think it is possible if we avoid some of the pitfalls (fouls at the 4 and 5 positions), and shoot a better 3%.

At this point I think it is up for debate which would profit the team more in the long and short term. Keep Edogi or add Horne.
Depends on how we recruit lol. If we can surround Horne with talent, maybe it will be worth it. This team was built on Taplin and Etou. This season will probably be our best chance to win given the recruits we have coming in at the moment and the loss of Etou next year. I expect Horne to be a slight step down from Etou initially at least.

Depends on how we recruit lol. If we can surround Horne with talent, maybe it will be worth it. This team was built on Taplin and Etou. This season will probably be our best chance to win given the recruits we have coming in at the moment and the loss of Etou next year. I expect Horne to be a slight step down from Etou initially at least.
I kind of agree on Etou/Horne. But having seen him(Horne) play in the scrimmages and knowing he will have a solid year of practice with the team, I am not 100% sure he will not bring himself up to Etou's level by next year. He looked pretty decent for this early on.

I think with Joiners ability after playing this year, as well as Scott, Jeffries, Jackson, I'm not so sure I would say this year would be our best shot. Next year could be just as good. Moore, Barnes, ?, & ? will add to the cake as well. We don't know where that will go yet. Big men recruits will play a big part. All is not lost for next year yet.

I kind of agree on Etou/Horne. But having seen him(Horne) play in the scrimmages and knowing he will have a solid year of practice with the team, I am not 100% sure he will not bring himself up to Etou's level by next year. He looked pretty decent for this early on.

I think with Joiners ability after playing this year, as well as Scott, Jeffries, Jackson, I'm not so sure I would say this year would be our best shot. Next year could be just as good. Moore, Barnes, ?, & ? will add to the cake as well. We don't know where that will go yet. Big men recruits will play a big part.
Everyone knows my opinion on the latter point at the moment. Hoping we get some good bigs to offset the losses. If we could grab Hunt + a really good JUCO big I would be thrilled.

Who plays the role of the defector, good guy, bad guy in this hunt for Red October gag.

I thought you'd put Haith in the Peter Firth role, except the accent isn't so juicy?

If we could get Hunt in a jersey for a visit on Halloween we could say "Hunt in Blue, October"

I think the Horned Frogs are still doing alright without Mr Hunt. Doubt they are crying too hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT