ADVERTISEMENT

Record prediction

May want to temper those record predictions as it appears we will be thin in the post again. There's a report that Magnay just signed a pro contract in Australia and starting now. WTF!

He wasn't going to make or break our season, but hurts us defensively more that's for sure.

But in American dollars that's worth $$.
And you're stuck living in a place that boasts the 10 deadliest snakes in the world by toxicity of their venom...one type...the common brown, is found all over and is quite a problem in populated places. Add that to attacking kangaroos and why the hell would anyone want to live there :)

I think Jeffries will help alleviate some of the defense and rebounding. I think we will be fine but what horrible timing. You can't tell me this just came up.

Very bad news if true, he has the talent to be a difference maker by graduation. I don’t understand the timing as he was here for pictures and practice.

The timing is definitely the puzzling part of this, as I'm sure his teammates and coaches are just as confused. We will move on and be fine...but I don't understand how he thinks he's ready for this kind of move. I don't want to speculate but maybe his family needs the money?

I think Jeffries will help alleviate some of the defense and rebounding. I think we will be fine but what horrible timing. You can't tell me this just came up.
Jefferies isn't guarding any of the 6'10 or 6'11 or taller bigs in the conference with any consistent effectiveness. He's 6'5". It's a bigger problem if teams double down on their bigs knowing we are really short handed in that area. Etou doesn't necessarily like to bang on defense and we know Artison really doesn't like to mix it up down low. Igbanu is our only true post defender and he's only 6'8 and not the leaper you would need to counter the height deficiency.

On the other hand, I think our perimeter defense should be really good

This looks to be the shortest team we've had in quite a few years. Last year we had Magnay at least. Before that we had D'Andre Wright and Swanny, before them Maduka and Idlet, before that Idlet and Jerome. Hopefully this team can play in SMU's mold from last season with Igbanu taking the Semi Ojeleye role and Jeffries taking the Sterling Brown role.

We have a really weird roster all of the sudden. It's effectively 1 point guard, half a dozen combo guards, a couple stretch 4s, and Igbanu.

Haith has always talked about running an uptempo style. This may be the year to finally follow through on that promise.

It really throws our recruiting into a weird spot too. We haven't been recruiting any players that are real low post guys. Jal seems like a 4 that might fill in at the 5 spot but he doesn't seem to be in that defensive mold. I'm expecting we see some offers going out to big men in the near future.

I saw that tall kid committed to Memphis. Maybe we can find a player the semester named E.K. Tedogi. But yeah, we'll be looking at a lot of bigs.

Anymore, it's like you can't build a program over four years. You do this in two or one year increments. Maybe a project you sign now is good in four years for the next coach who comes along.

Several kids backing out of commitments due to the FBI involvement but they are mostly 4 and 5 star players.

Tough to get involved with these types of players that have 20 high major offers. They usually go to another high major that’s been on their priority list.

We’ve been looking at a number of bigs, including some jucos. I believe we’ll look at more jucos, needing more experience with the loss of Magnay.

Hopefully I.I. can talk about Igbanu/juco as he did about Igbanu/Magnay. We’ll need a more ready front court as we would have had with Igbanu/Magnay. Expect us to sign 2 bigs now in 2018 class—probably 1 just juco and 1 HS.

This is really going to change my expectations for this season. Magnay was our only player with the size and skills to play the 5 spot. Igbanu does it but he’s really a 4. Everyone else is a 3 or a 4 and that’s really going to hurt us against teams like Cincinnati.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
We are going to lose every game this season!!!!!!!1111

I’m joking but needed to melt a little. Really disappointed in how this was handled by Magnay. Puts his former teammates and coaches in a tough spot for the upcoming season.

I don't think it's as bleak of an outlook as some of you are suggesting. Yes losing a true big definitely hurts, but it's not like we don't have ANY size. We have 3 guys that play the 4 who will have to transition to defending the 5 on defense. 6'8, 6'8, and 6'9. That's not what I'd consider small... but it's also not the same as having a true 6'10-7' big man either.

Reactions: tupatsfan
And you're stuck living in a place that boasts the 10 deadliest snakes in the world by toxicity of their venom...one type...the common brown, is found all over and is quite a problem in populated places. Add that to attacking kangaroos and why the hell would anyone want to live there :)

Did you get this from Cliff Clavin's "Little Known Facts"?

Like we've said before....we aren't losing much offense with this deal, much better than losing someone like Etou, Igabanu, etc. I'm not changing my expectations too much by losing a bench player.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Like we've said before....we aren't losing much offense with this deal, much better than losing someone like Etou, Igabanu, etc. I'm not changing my expectations too much by losing a bench player.
Defense is a thing too. Magnay was our best returning defender and he made the entire team better at defense when he was on the court. It's OK to have a center that's not a huge offensive threat but can get a few lobs or easy layups while still giving that defensive effort. We will miss Magnay quite a bit. With him and TK gone, we might have quite a few problems protecting the paint which means kick outs for open 3's. It was a big problem last year, it could be a HUGE problem this year.

Defense is a thing too. Magnay was our best returning defender and he made the entire team better at defense when he was on the court. It's OK to have a center that's not a huge offensive threat but can get a few lobs or easy layups while still giving that defensive effort. We will miss Magnay quite a bit. With him and TK gone, we might have quite a few problems protecting the paint which means kick outs for open 3's. It was a big problem last year, it could be a HUGE problem this year.

I agree. It will definitely hurt our rotation. Instead of Igbanu/Magnay/Etou, we’ll have to add Artison to the mix. Artison is a wing and hasn’t show the ability or willingness to bang down low or even in the paint.

If Etou gets into early foul trouble, like he’s prone to do, that would mean playing Igbanu/Artison for extended periods, without relief or having to use 6-5 Jeffries, similar to Scotty Haraldson. Although a better athlete than Haraldson, C-USA is not the ACC.

I anticipated Magnay, if he stayed healthy, to have a breakout year. He was one of the better post defenders we’ve had in recent years and as Aston stated, he made our team defense so much better as a rim protector. He also showed an ability early last year, to be effective in the pick and roll game with Taplin.

His leaving will definitely leave a void on defense and cause the staff to be creative in replacing what he brought to the team.

I don't think just because Magnay is gone we are going to leave shooters wide open on the perimeter anymore. Henderson, from what I understand, is a huge upgrade as a defensive coach over Felton.

I agree. It will definitely hurt our rotation. Instead of Igbanu/Magnay/Etou, we’ll have to add Artison to the mix. Artison is a wing and hasn’t show the ability or willingness to bang down low or even in the paint.

I anticipated Magnay, if he stayed healthy, to have a breakout year. He was one of the better post defenders we’ve had in recent years and as Aston stated, he made our team defense so much better as a rim protector. He also showed an ability early last year, to be effective in the pick and roll game with Taplin.

His leaving will definitely leave a void on defense and cause the staff to be creative in replacing what he brought to the team.

Agree with Bill. Remember Will was a true freshman. This was the year for a major improvement in performance. Also, last year he was saddled with several injuries that limited his playing time significantly.
He understood the game and was fundamentally sound in all aspects. Sometimes that more important than potential talent.
This is a major loss to the program. Wish him good luck.

I remember Henderson mentioning in his introductory video that he believed guarding paint shots was paramount to having a good defense. It was never really addressed whether or not that meant sagging off of shooters in certain situations which seemed to be what happened last season with Felton. We shall see.

Jeffries is short for a 4, but his wingspan is 6-10+ and he's familiar with the position. As it stands, I would bet he logs more minutes just in the post than Artison does total this year. He's really become our most important player for this season.

I’m in the Magnay is a big loss camp. He was the only player we had last year that looked like a natural center. He could defend the interior, score on offense, and shoot free throws. As others have said he could have taken that leap this year to being a top player. Beyond that though having to depend on Igbanu staying in the game when he is tired or saddled with fouls could be trouble. Remember we lost Edogi after last season also and Jeffries is the biggest player we’ve added, that means we’re down two bodies from last year in the interior. Without regard to your feelings for their talent losing two bodies will have a negative impact, especially as the season wears on.

I think we are going to lose a couple of games where officials call every little touch foul in the post on us next year. So substract a couple from your win total.

I'm not looking forward to sweating out the foul situation every single game like we did Mannkng's first year when our post players were often Kauri Black, Scottie Harrelson, and Tim Peete (after Wright was injured). And that was in a much crappier league.

In response to Bill,
I think we are going to lose a couple of games where officials call every little touch foul in the post on us next year. So substract a couple from your win total.

I'm not looking forward to sweating out the foul situation every single game like we did Mannkng's first year when our post players were often Kauri Black, Scottie Harrelson, and Tim Peete (after Wright was injured). And that was in a much crappier league.
That was an injury plagued season. I think Smitty went down in the 3rd game? Then Swanny had a stress fracture midway through the season that kept him hobbled, and Zeldric King was a fat lard. Played some pickup against King before he left campus that spring and it was kind of sad to see a kid with such potential waste it due to academics and fitness.

Jeffries is short for a 4, but his wingspan is 6-10+ and he's familiar with the position. As it stands, I would bet he logs more minutes just in the post than Artison does total this year. He's really become our most important player for this season.
Jeffries can also leap with just about anybody. I think Jeffries could end up being an Eric Coley type defender if he put his mind to it.

Honestly, I was just looking at the 2000 roster and comparing it with this one. If Igbanu can make a jump in minutes turn into a jump in point and rebound production he could achieve similar stat levels to Brandon Kurtz pretty easily. (11 ppg + 7 rbds + 1.6 ast) Igbanu is a little shorter but not much. 6-8.5 to Kurtz's 6-10. Igbanu is already producing around David Shelton's numbers both in pts and boards. I'm not sure how many mpg Coley played in 2000, but if Jeffries can produce in a similar fashion while playing quality defense then we might have enough production out of the 1-3 spots this year to match that 2000's teams point and rebound totals (roughly 40 points per night with about 10 rebounds).

I think the season will all hinge on how big of jumps Jeffries and Igbanu can make in production given extra minutes and experience as well as how the team chooses to defend.

Last edited:
I remember Henderson mentioning in his introductory video that he believed guarding paint shots was paramount to having a good defense. It was never really addressed whether or not that meant sagging off of shooters in certain situations which seemed to be what happened last season with Felton. We shall see.
It wasn't paint shots, it was quality paint touches he wanted to defend against. He spouted off some stats about pts per possession when there was a quality touch in the paint versus pts per possession when the ball couldn't get into the lane.

It wasn't paint shots, it was quality paint touches he wanted to defend against.
He spouted off some stats about pts per possession when there was a quality
touch in the paint versus pts per possession when the ball couldn't get into the
lane.

It seemed to me that Henderson was talking about both the drives into the
paint, as well as entry passes into the paint. I guess we will have to wait and
see how we defend when the ball goes into the corner...

In either case, this is where we will miss Magnay the most...In defending
either the drive, or defending the center one-on-one, Magnay was the best
we had....

We can still be a good defensive team....We just won't have the size and
depth we anticipated having.....As someone said above we will be vulnerable
to 'whistle happy' refs because of the depth problems....

Too bad the refs won't let us lead the charmed life that SMU/Cheatin' Larry led with 7 players.

So if we have another season like last year or worse... Is Haith gone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT