ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma Game Thread

both of these we expected to be losses. Just not as bad as they were. I really think that I didnt think our defense would drop off as much as it did.
Our DC left as soon as he was hired, and the offensive minded Wilson took over. Our DC didn't come in till the last minute. We didn't cover our CB's with quality transfers. Williams and Green come in next year, to cover Ray and Wallace graduating. Dunbar & Turner will join Simon as probable starters at LB. We are fine at DE. We still need CB's and DT's in a serious way. Those two areas of recruiting will be paramount. I have a feeling we might change the alignment next year with our DC having a couple of years of recruits to work with and a full offseason to install the defense.

And you're in your element in a power bottom contest with Loca...

Pregnant Wilson and "My daddy was famous" OC are looking pretty worthless right now.

Shut your pie hole hom0. I do NOT accept losing. Coaches getting paid 7 figures better show up with more than a soiled diaper at the end of a game. You want to make excuses? Go ahead... It's what you've done all your life for being a red-headed pillow biter.
This should get you banned. Thank you for that. @Chris Harmon

Last edited:
Lol loving TU football and loving college football in general can go hand in hand. Y’all are soft. We were dominated by a really good team. I’m just stating facts and you’re whining about how that team and someone on that team really isn’t that good.

Fine. I’ll let you believe we lost to turrible team. I however, believe we lost to a great team with a really good QB. I’ll let you decide which sounds better.

Just sucks I never realized how trash our fan base really is.
Nobody is saying OU is a bad team. We are just not sure they are a playoff team yet. Will be interesting to see the Texas game. I hope they are the greatest team out there.

I have been pleasantly surprised on how well Cardell Williams has played. He did have a rough outing in the second half but he showed with some help this offense will roll with him at the helm.

Our secondary is just not good. I got it that we lost our DC and then when we had one come in with the HC that he was pulled away for a bigger program. I dont blame him for that really as I would have done the same thing. The one we have we got late in the cycle and had little time to install the defense but when we have passing teams coming that secondary has got to be a focal point.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Shut your pie hole hom0. I do NOT accept losing. Coaches getting paid 7 figures better show up with more than a soiled diaper at the end of a game. You want to make excuses? Go ahead... It's what you've done all your life for being a red-headed pillow biter.
awww taking things a little personal i see? poor little fella. Thanks for letting us know exactly what kind of enigma you are

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Everyone on this board has been ragging on Montgomery for his mistakes which cost games.... well, I'm not sure that it cost the game, but starting Roman Fuller was clearly just as bad of a mistake as any that Montgomery made. 3 INT's in the 1st quarter when the kid who showed some promise in the first game actually was able to play and clearly should have started.

I think there's a couple people here who try their best to be glass half full guys and may have painted themselves into a corner with their premature (and to this point unearned) praise of Wilson. Kind of reminds me of what happened with Konkol.

I have been pleasantly surprised on how well Cardell Williams has played. He did have a rough outing in the second half but he showed with some help this offense will roll with him at the helm.

Our secondary is just not good. I got it that we lost our DC and then when we had one come in with the HC that he was pulled away for a bigger program. I dont blame him for that really as I would have done the same thing. The one we have we got late in the cycle and had little time to install the defense but when we have passing teams coming that secondary has got to be a focal point.
Cardell had a great 2 quarter , then OU made 2nd half line adjustments where Williams
couldn't roll out right or left . On defense there was no pressure on Dillon Gabriel (I saw
Owen Ostroski in his face one time) . By the way, Owen more than held his own against
their O-Line tackle . Defensively you cannot let someone sit back there for 5 or 6 seconds
and get shredded .

Reactions: loca2874
The only thing I want to know is why Wilson started our 3rd string QB over an apparently healthy enough Williams. Did he say why in any interviews after the game?

Our defense can't cover anyone, but who knows what could have happened if we got in a shootout from the start instead of spotting them 28 points.

We were leaving our CB's in single coverage on an island for quite a bit of the day.

The defensive staff should be starting to see right about now why Tulsa switched to the 3-3-5 a few years ago and had success with it. The extra body in the secondary is worth more than the extra linebacker / DT in the 4-3-3 when you're facing up-tempo spread offenses, and it allows you to pressure the quarterback from a greater variety of directions.

Last edited:
Reactions: loca2874
We were leaving our CB's in single coverage on an island for quite a bit of the day.

The defensive staff should be starting to see right about now why Tulsa switched to the 3-3-5 a few years ago and had success with it. The extra body in the secondary is worth more than the extra linebacker / DT in the 4-3-3 when you're facing up-tempo spread offenses, and it allows you to pressure the quarterback from a greater variety of directions.
Aren't we running a 4-2-5 a decent amount of the time? That still ends in 5.

Everyone on this board has been ragging on Montgomery for his mistakes which cost games.... well, I'm not sure that it cost the game, but starting Roman Fuller was clearly just as bad of a mistake as any that Montgomery made. 3 INT's in the 1st quarter when the kid who showed some promise in the first game actually was able to play and clearly should have started.

I think there's a couple people here who try their best to be glass half full guys and may have painted themselves into a corner with their premature (and to this point unearned) praise of Wilson. Kind of reminds me of what happened with Konkol.
He's already better than Monty tho, he pulled the bad player and played a better one. Why he didn't start him, is puzzling, but at least he didn't wait for him to throw 5 picks before putting in a different guy, something monty would never do. Hell, Monty would probably have braxton out there.

I was 100% right to leave during the first quarter. Gave me lots of extra time to get my head right for a lovely anniversary dinner at Farm Bar.

He's already better than Monty tho, he pulled the bad player and played a better one. Why he didn't start him, is puzzling, but at least he didn't wait for him to throw 5 picks before putting in a different guy, something monty would never do. Hell, Monty would probably have braxton out there.
:rolleyes:

The highlights I saw included a lot of 3 LB sets (per the roster), though they're not always lining up in traditional LB spacing they're probably being used as hybrid safeties. Kind of like a faux Tampa 2. The coverages are just getting worked by good offenses.

4-2-5 will almost always result in (at most) 7 in the back..... 3-3-5 can result in 8 in the back or it can have a normal 6 or 7 man box depending on what the offense comes out in. It's just a better pass defense. I'm not saying the Chicago Bears should adopt it or anything.... just that in college with the commonality of spread offenses, being better against the pass will give you a better shot in more of your games. What's ironic is that I also think the 3-3-5 leads to more penetration in the backfield because it's always coming from a different direction. When we had guys like Jaxon Player, Trevis Gipson, and Devin Lamp we were causing real problems.

In any case, we've got to get better cover corners if we want to compete with state schools again.
You are covering your ass, you were talking about a 4-3-3 earlier, which we run very little of.

After the game there was some OU people walking out behind me from the tailgate area. I didn't hear the conversation until one OU fan yells in disgust at another OU fan... "Oh gosh, just because you're carrying a beer and smoking a cigarette. you think you're a TOUGH SHIT! Grow up!" Best one liner from an OU fan the entire game.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Definitely not going to melt yet, we are in year 1 of a major rebuild ,we got our butts kicked by 2 really good teams at their peak, we need to go up to NIU and get a W. I will be there for it
We are in the 1st 3 games of a major rebuild and 3 do not constitute a season or for that matter, new coaches' careers. If, after a couple more recruiting classes, we are not in the mix for an AACK! championship, I might start joining the naysayers, then again maybe not.

I am completely unimpressed by our defensive staff. While UW and OU are obviously much more talented teams, the offensive efficiency we have given up is pathetic. UW scored 43 points on only 66 plays and then OU scored 66 points on 68 plays. UAPB had many opportunities as well, fortunately for us their receivers had bricks for hands and dropped several passes that would have given them first downs.

I would take Monty back in heartbeat over what I have seen so far.

for the people who think we cant compete with p5 teams. Check the score of the Washington vs Michigan St. game. I believe M-st is a p5 team.

for the people who think we cant compete with p5 teams. Check the score of the Washington vs Michigan St. game. I believe M-st is a p5 team.
Ok but that logic doesn't prove how good we are. Just that Washington is really good.

For those that are confused, we are never in a true 4-3, we are nearly always in a what is essentially a 4-2-5 but could be viewed as a 3-3-5 as well. It all depends on what you want to call Kopenski's Jack position, a D End or Outside LB. We basically always have 3 Def lineman and 5 DB's and then the Jack (Kopenski) is a hybrid DE/OLB.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Those circumstances are quite a bit different. Michigan State had just fired their coach for being an idiot.

You complain a lot, but please don’t compare us to Michigan State.

I am completely unimpressed by our defensive staff. While UW and OU are obviously much more talented teams, the offensive efficiency we have given up is pathetic. UW scored 43 points on only 66 plays and then OU scored 66 points on 68 plays. UAPB had many opportunities as well, fortunately for us their receivers had bricks for hands and dropped several passes that would have given them first downs.

I would take Monty back in heartbeat over what I have seen so far.
Did you compare what other teams did against them. I realize SMU competed better, but a stat comparison would be interesting. And Michigan St comparison would be of interest. I don't want Monty back. When it's all thru, I don't think you will either.

Right and that means......???
It means a decent Michigan St team,(unless they just fell apart because their coach left) didn't do any better than us. And they are known for their defense usually. What else would a comparison reference like that mean?

Right and that means......???
It means UW has put up a boatload of points against 3 teams. That is all I can take from it. Football is about match ups and factors that influence those match ups. We (me included) all get hung up on point comparisons but at the end of the day those comparisons don’t mean much.

It means UW has put up a boatload of points against 3 teams. That is all I can take from it. Football is about match ups and factors that influence those match ups. We (me included) all get hung up on point comparisons but at the end of the day those comparisons don’t mean much.
In the aggregate they do offer a bit of general meaning. No matter how bad our defense is, they don't match up any worse than Michigan St's does against Washington. That is at least a small morsel of something not bad.

We just need to see them against somebody at our conference level. The offense of N Illinois will probably be at the lower levels of our conference. I don't think they will be as bad as say charlotte.

In the aggregate they do offer a bit of general meaning. No matter how bad our defense is, they don't match up any worse than Michigan St's does against Washington. That is at least a small morsel of something not bad.

We just need to see them against somebody at our conference level. The offense of N Illinois will probably be at the lower levels of our conference. I don't think they will be as bad as say charlotte.
Ok fair enough but it doesn't tell us our defense is actually any good yet.

Ok fair enough but it doesn't tell us our defense is actually any good yet.
I don't have my hopes up for a good defense. I will settle for average to slightly below average. I expect the offense to end up decent to above average.

For those that are confused, we are never in a true 4-3, we are nearly always in a what is essentially a 4-2-5 but could be viewed as a 3-3-5 as well. It all depends on what you want to call Kopenski's Jack position, a D End or Outside LB. We basically always have 3 Def lineman and 5 DB's and then the Jack (Kopenski) is a hybrid DE/OLB.
Kopenski is being used quite a bit more often as a DE than he is as an OLB. I saw a couple occasions where he dropped into a flat zone, but I would hardly call that a 3-3-5. One important thing is that Kopenski is at 255 lbs. Treyvon Reeves was 225 when he was playing the legit 3-3-5 outside backer position. I think Kopenski is playing "OLB" maybe 5-10% of the time. The rest of the time he's an edge rusher.

A lot of the time what it ends up looking like is a just a modified 4-3 with a really small OLB played by a hybrid safety / CB. If you have one of your DB's constantly covering what would have been a LB's job.... then you no longer really have 5 DB's.... you have 4 and it just becomes a crappy 4-3.

I don't think the tradeoff for having one more body rushing the passer is worth taking away a true coverage player.

Last edited:
Fun fact: Houston didn't manage a single offensive touchdown against TCU this weekend. They had one kick return TD and a couple field goals. Not that Holgerson is not terrible.... but it does speak to the fact that Gillespie's defense is still a really hard nut to crack.

Reactions: drboobay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT